Arc 42: Not All Dogs

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
angelusbr

Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs

Post by angelusbr »

Only good comics makes fan argue like that. Bland comics just makes the fans say "meh, next page"
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

angelusbr wrote:Only good comics makes fan argue like that. Bland comics just makes the fans say "meh, next page"
This is true the more I like something (Comic,Anime/Manga,Webcomic,ect.) the more I debate it and pick it apart. However I've been in many debate where it eventually goes nuts, mind you I haven seen it become that bad here yet and I'm sure it never will. I just think its better to warn people early like Diss did then let it get out of hand.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Dissension wrote:The extreme hatred toward a fictional character is just a tad disconcerting. Let's all take a step back, breathe, and remember that Housepets! is a silly Web comic meant to entertain, not raise one's blood pressure. That it is possible to become so enmeshed in the characters and world is, I think, a great testament to the author's ability.
Well, you have a point. But what if it's the opposite, extreme positive obsession and/or worry? Frankly, I seem to have lost some of the entertainment I used to get from this comic until one and a half years ago. :? I want that back. I LOVED how this comic was then, and "The Visitor" still sticks out in mind as one of my favorite arcs, and what I thought Housepets would always be like.
Last edited by PhoenixAsper on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Proof that this comic is awesome.
Sent from my conifer.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Dissension wrote:King could have, for example, stroked Bino's ego or offered to purchase or trade for the watch? I think it speaks volumes that petty larceny is the instinctive reaction.
I just realized something. What you suggested cound't be done or it would be even "evilier" than what King did. I'll do my best to explain why.
Let's begin with offering to buy the watch. King couldn't offer to buy the watch because he doesn't have any money. I know it's weird since he's owned by the ferrets, but Fox's speech either indicated that King doesn't recieve any money or used it all before this entire madness. https://www.housepetscomic.com/2011/05/ ... u-do-that/
If King did have any money, for the matter, Fox would know since the husky already knew King was adopted by the Milton's. If King actually had money his speech would have been something like "Why do you want the watch from the guy who kidnapped be? You can easily buy a watch for yourself/save the money from your next allowance or if you really want a watch i can give you one as a gift. But I don't understand why you want that particular watch."
King didn't have any money or condition to borrow money since he couldn't pay the person back (King wouldn't dare ask money from Fox since it would make the husky suspect him).
As for stroking Bino's ego, in which part that is any better than ask Sasha for help? Sasha was willingly and wasn't tricked to get the watch from Bino and don't forget she isn't stupid. If King decided to use Bino's ego against himself, King would be lying and decieving Bino to get what he wanted from him. meaning it would be worse than asking Sasha for help
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It's worse to stroke an ego and resolve a situation peacefully than commit theft? *giggles*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Dissension wrote:It's worse to stroke an ego and resolve a situation peacefully than commit theft? *giggles*
So...King's soul rightfully belonged to Bino?
edit: Bino could have the right to think King was stealing from him, but we know that what King was doing wasn't petty theft.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Based on all the information Bino had, King's soul did belong to Bino.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Dissension wrote:It's worse to stroke an ego and resolve a situation peacefully than commit theft? *giggles*
You delude yourself if you think that Bino's concept of 'peaceful resolution' wouldn't involve a ver, very bad bargain.
Oh, yes, not to mention, again, that, given his evident situation of power in the assembly room, Bino could have asked for *anything* to King an get it. Fido was out, Fox was standing without doing so much as looking, so Bino had a total upper hand.
But I didn't see him saying 'ready to bargain' dweeb?'
Bino. Wanted. To. Smash.
Acceptance is the first step, my son.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:Based on all the information Bino had, King's soul did belong to Bino.
And that's why I love civil law and loathe common law.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

More specifically, the watch belonged to Bino. The fact that it was part of King's soul was unknown to Bino, so from his understanding King threw it away and he found it. If, hypothetically, Bino knew what that watch was, it would rightfully belong to King even according to Bino's knowledge.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Yes indeed. WE know what that watch is, and so WE know that he'd be right to get it back any way POSSIBLE, because the consequences could be eternal and TERRIBLE otherwise. However, most parties involved in all this DON'T know it's REAL significance. So we can look at this how we'd like, but the facts are, we know and they don't. Everyone involved in this story has some degree of responsibility for the situation.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

That's an opinion I can get behind. :)

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
valerio

Post by valerio »

Now, THIS conclusion was anticlimatic. :? Technically, it gives us an excuse for another year of King and Fox until a decision is reached, but...meh
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

valerio wrote:Now, THIS conclusion was anticlimatic. :?
WHAT?!?

I don't think THIS was anticlimactic at ALL! Just a cliffhanger. But at least we learned something....
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well that was an interesting ending to Year 3 and this Arc. Not what I expected (I really still want to know what in the world happened to Pete exactly. Seriously Rick we are going to find that out, and he is going to pick another Avatar eventually right?) but it was good none the less. Here’s to Year Four and Beyond!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Karishad was mentioned. Good enough to be good.

*raises glass* HERE HERE!!

I like this kind of comic, actually. I loved it! Thanks for this one, Rick!
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Wait, the end of the third year?
Aww man, I had entirely forgotten.

No grand scheme to embarrass Rick from me this year.
Lets reschedule for say... Christmas :D.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

copper wrote:Karishad was mentioned. Good enough to be good.

*raises glass* HERE HERE!!

I like this kind of comic, actually. I loved it! Thanks for this one, Rick!
Who? :?

So now it appears King either chooses being a dog because he has a better life this way, or chooses being a human and REALLY turns his life around so that he can deserve human heaven. Either way it bodes well for King. And by "any day now" can we assume the next King arc will be SOON?
PF chars

--Phoenix

valerio

Post by valerio »

Nah, Rick has given King enough room as it is.
And just because this is such a very important decision, and because he also needs to take care of his friendship with Fox, King can't make so soon such a decision.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

firecrackers and dynamite are not the same thing
ImageImage
ImageImage
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Well, I hope it's this YEAR, at any rate....

Also, not unprecedented? Has someone ELSE been changed before...?
PF chars

--Phoenix

Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Eh, he should go focus on other things. The taking back of the watch should just be someone picking it up, not a huge massive event that requires a full arc to explore.

I love King, and all the arcs that focus on him, but this webcomic didn't start with him!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

The year ends on a cliffhanger?!? :( :(

Oh, Rick, I hope this is some sort of marketing technique to get people to buy books 3 and 4 if you eve publish them. Otherwise....... :( :( :( .
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Daggy wrote:Eh, he should go focus on other things. The taking back of the watch should just be someone picking it up, not a huge massive event that requires a full arc to explore.

I love King, and all the arcs that focus on him, but this webcomic didn't start with him!
I'm sorry, but I STRONGLY disagree. Not with the fact that King is not the main character of this comic, I know that. But if the watch was THAT important to THIS arc in the way it was, taking it back should NOT be "just someone picking it up". If that's the case, might as well have no more King arcs again EVER for all the dignity that gives the character. And while he's not THE main character he's A main character, and deserves better.

Anyway, Rick HAS done a twofer (or "fourfer"?) before....
Last edited by ChewyChewy on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
PF chars

--Phoenix

Vyath

Post by Vyath »

well, this is a very interesting way to end an arc, not to mention a year! I've been wondering for a while exactly what Sabrina meant by "your soul is in limbo". This raises some awesome interesting implications. Image No matter what happens, it seems like things are boding well for King.
While I would like to see the watch get picked up/ that sort of thing, I predict that since this arc was so intense and story-driven, the next arc will be much more lighthearted. We might have to wait a bit to see the watch get picked up.
Image here's to three years, congratulations! Looking forward to all that will come! Image
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

I meant more like, if it got its own arc it'd probably be kind of short. Unless he needs to decide whether he wants to remain a dog or not before its picked up. That would warrant a longer arc
Vyath

Post by Vyath »

EDIT: what the? how did this happen? Sorry, somehow another post appeared where I quoted myself. confusing. please ignore this post.

Image move along Image
Last edited by Vyath on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Daggy wrote:I meant more like, if it got its own arc it'd probably be kind of short. Unless he needs to decide whether he wants to remain a dog or not before its picked up. That would warrant a longer arc
Maybe it would. And that would probably mean that arc would come SOONER rather than later.
Last edited by ChewyChewy on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
PF chars

--Phoenix

IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The only thing that bugs me about this arc is (and I've stated this before I know) is we don't find out what happened to Pete and what is punishment was exactly and I fear its going to be a year before we do and that's what sucks. Everything else was fine IMO.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"OK, King, some sort of heavenly agent will arrive by complete surprise to take something from you very soon. No, I'm not telling you when. Have a good sleep!"
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

IceKitsune wrote:The only thing that bugs me about this arc is (and I've stated this before I know) is we don't find out what happened to Pete and what is punishment was exactly and I fear its going to be a year before we do and that's what sucks. Everything else was fine IMO.
It won't happen THAT late, I hope. At the LATEST, why not at Christmas?
PF chars

--Phoenix

rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

IceKitsune wrote:The only thing that bugs me about this arc is (and I've stated this before I know) is we don't find out what happened to Pete and what is punishment was exactly and I fear its going to be a year before we do and that's what sucks. Everything else was fine IMO.
But if I told you now, I couldn't open another arc with that later!
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
valerio

Post by valerio »

Well, King *had* to expect that. So the problem for him doesn't lie in his soul brought back to its proper place, but what will he choose...although it baffles me why he just doesn't decide to stay King... As if going back to human would do him ANY good :?
It won't happen THAT late, I hope. At the LATEST, why not at Christmas?
I am somehow sure that it will happen in an arc related to Sabrina's near drowning, during year five...
Last edited by valerio on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

rickgriffin wrote:

I can't wait to see what you have for us next!
Last edited by Daggy on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

valerio wrote:Well, King *had* to expect that. So the problem for him doesn't lie in his soul brought back to its proper place, but what will he choose...although it baffles me why he just doesn't decide to stay King... As if going back to human would do him ANY good :?
He IS human. His PARENTS were human. It's all he KNEW before the transformation, which was AGAINST HIS WILL. It baffles ME why people SAY that....

EDIT: What do you mean, "Sabrina's near drowning"?
PF chars

--Phoenix

IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:
I know but I don't really want to wait another year for what happened! Could you do it sooner? I know you most likely won't but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Man I already have the next arc in mind. I'm gonna try something tricky this time too, it's going to be completely irreverent AND have a strong plot
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

rickgriffin wrote:Man I already have the next arc in mind. I'm gonna try something tricky this time too, it's going to be completely irreverent AND have a strong plot
"Irreverent"? :?
PF chars

--Phoenix

valerio

Post by valerio »

ChewyChewy wrote:
valerio wrote:Well, King *had* to expect that. So the problem for him doesn't lie in his soul brought back to its proper place, but what will he choose...although it baffles me why he just doesn't decide to stay King... As if going back to human would do him ANY good :?
He IS human. His PARENTS were human. It's all he KNEW before the transformation, which was AGAINST HIS WILL. It baffles ME why people SAY that....

EDIT: What do you mean, "Sabrina's near drowning"?
No. As far as things are going, he WAS human. Now he can effectively choose which nature to adopt and follow it.
And although he was transformed against his will, and not out of Pete's kind heart, he WAS given a chance to do something better with his life than spending time in prison, living in rancor and hurting other pets again and again.
King has a better life ahead of him as a dog, IMO he should grab that chance.

As for Sabrina... https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/08/18/in-bed/