KizerZin

Re: Arc 42: Not All Dogs

Post by KizerZin »

why can't Bino ever have nice things?
valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:
Alex wrote:Cuuuuuuuuute! And I'm glad it resolved like this. Friends will always help each other! I just wonder what King has to do with the watch now...
Also, I think it's unfair to punish Bino. He found the watch, he wanted to keep it, his girlfriend pretended to want to spend time with him in order to steal it, then his big brother makes him give it back. And all that pressure makes him do one stupid thing, since he failed at everything he wanted King to fail at getting the watch back. And now he gets punished! It's unfair....
I must disagree with you somewhat, he shouldn't be punished for trying to smash the watch (because as far as he and everyone else except a few people thought it was his watch, he found it he can do what he wants with it) However I think he should be punished for being unfairly mean and cruel to King there was no reason to do what he did to King and really if he was just going to smash it he should have just given it to King anyway.
Bino deserves a severe punishment because he was mean, ruthless and knew exactly what he was doing. He had always tormented King for no other reason than being mean. He wanted to smash the clock just to prove a moot point. He treated rudely his own brother Joey. nothing Bino did in his arc has an honorable justification. He was the villain, not simply the antagonist.
Fido too deserves his just desserts...or, at least, he should sincerely apologize to King do gain some point, for in a way I really detest him more than Bino, now. I hope Sabrina takes care of that.

Oh, KZ: Bino gets at least a nice hospital treatment :mrgreen:
Shake

Post by Shake »

I'm gonna put in another vote for the disappointing anti-climax side. It just came out of nowhere; we had no real indication that Fox was even THERE and it just doesn't quite seem/feel like it follows from what was going on in the previous few strips. Like, it could've been awesome with proper setup, but the lack of any such setup just sorta turns Fox's appearance into a deus ex machina.

Eh, maybe Friday's comic will wrap things up nicely, but for now, this just seems pretty weak. =/
You've shattered my mind and rearranged the pieces into something beautiful.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Shake wrote:I'm gonna put in another vote for the disappointing anti-climax side. It just came out of nowhere; we had no real indication that Fox was even THERE and it just doesn't quite seem/feel like it follows from what was going on in the previous few strips. Like, it could've been awesome with proper setup, but the lack of any such setup just sorta turns Fox's appearance into a deus ex machina.

Eh, maybe Friday's comic will wrap things up nicely, but for now, this just seems pretty weak. =/
What in the world are you talking about? It was a Good Old Dogs Club Meeting of course Fox would be there. I'm sorry there is nothing wrong with the ending to this part of the plot of this arc IMO.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Shake wrote:I'm gonna put in another vote for the disappointing anti-climax side. It just came out of nowhere; we had no real indication that Fox was even THERE and it just doesn't quite seem/feel like it follows from what was going on in the previous few strips. Like, it could've been awesome with proper setup, but the lack of any such setup just sorta turns Fox's appearance into a deus ex machina.

...or, Fox was spending the time thinking over King's fixation over that watch. Let's remember that Fox was thraumatized by being kidnapped (a second time), as his reaction at hearing of the watch's owner showed.
And when Fox came back to the club to talk to Bino about the watch, he happened right in time to help King, choosing friendship over grief.
I hope they'll have a heart-to-heart after that, and that their bond stays strong, for they both deserve it.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Daww.....now that looks adorable.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

IceKitsune wrote:

What in the world are you talking about? It was a Good Old Dogs Club Meeting of course Fox would be there. I'm sorry there is nothing wrong with the ending to this part of the plot of this arc IMO.
I just read Valerio's comment and I can accept that Fox has been thinking about why King wanted that watch so badly. But now re-reading today's strip, there was something that bothered me. How did King managed to get rid of Boris (or was Yeltsin, I don't know...) grip? Did the dog just released him without any reason? After all Bino didn't sxay a thing about it. Did King become the Hulk for a few seconds and smashed him before going to the watch?
And this arc NEEDS to have some significance in other characters other than King. What I mean is, most likely King will say, in the next strip, that he either refuses or accepts his dogness (I think he'll vote for remain as a dog, because if he chooses to be a human he loses Fox's friendship, which was something he didn't want to happen earlier in this arc.). what I mean is, this arc must have some significant influence in Sasha's, Fido, Fox and sabrina's caharcaters. If they all return to their status quo than I'm disappointed beyond repair.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

I know somethings wrong if I'm being the nice guy here....

trust in Rick, he is only human...
valerio

Post by valerio »

angelusbr wrote:I just read Valerio's comment and I can accept that Fox has been thinking about why King wanted that watch so badly. But now re-reading today's strip, there was something that bothered me. How did King managed to get rid of Boris (or was Yeltsin, I don't know...) grip? Did the dog just released him without any reason? After all Bino didn't sxay a thing about it. Did King become the Hulk for a few seconds and smashed him before going to the watch?
And this arc NEEDS to have some significance in other characters other than King. What I mean is, most likely King will say, in the next strip, that he either refuses or accepts his dogness (I think he'll vote for remain as a dog, because if he chooses to be a human he loses Fox's friendship, which was something he didn't want to happen earlier in this arc.). what I mean is, this arc must have some significant influence in Sasha's, Fido, Fox and sabrina's caharcaters. If they all return to their status quo than I'm disappointed beyond repair.
No. I'd say that Boris and yeltsin let go of King after Fido intervened. In last comic, we could see Boris just leaning his paw on King's shoulder and Yeltsin was not there pinning him.
Also, when you're life is at the very stake, you *do* get some extra stregth...and it didn't help him, since he was about to lose the watch... GO FOX GO!
The arc is about King and his relationship with Fox. The other characters have been instrumental for King to come to a resolution, or at least move into the right direction. Hopefully, this time, just as Fox did, King will set his priorities straight. he definitely has too much too lose as human, while he can have some happiness (despite Bino) as our adorable, grumpy corgi :D
sliceofdog

Post by sliceofdog »

It may be because Fox and King are my favourite characters, and that their interactions always make for good comics, but I really liked today's strip. I really don't see it as an anti-climax, any more than Wonderful Dog's Life was an anti-climax for ending with "By the way, vet follow-up is tomorrow" (Well, that wasn't the final ending, but it's the equivalent to this comic)

Also, I find it interesting (not complaining, mind, just pointing it out) that the few people like me who aren't fans of the whole cosmic yarn got blasted when they dared mention not liking it (the cosmic dragon reveal, the game etc) yet so many people are blatantly saying "Eh, it wasn't very good, but maybe if the next comic is AMAZING I won't complain", and hardly anyone is calling you up on it. Forgive me for being so blunt, but either no aspect of the storyline can be complained about, or any of it can. People who don't like the extremes have just as valid an opinion as those who don't like comics such as the one today (which I really enjoyed).

And I would imagine that Fox will not be in the next comic, because storyline wise he will be chasing down Bino. It will most likely be King and Sabrina/Tarot/Kitsune.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Here's to a very successful arc! *cheers and toasts* :D :D
Only 'Dog Days of Summer' got more discussion and passion than this arc (and that was because the cosmic nerds and the game were introduced for the very first time). yay!
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

angelusbr wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:

I just read Valerio's comment and I can accept that Fox has been thinking about why King wanted that watch so badly. But now re-reading today's strip, there was something that bothered me. How did King managed to get rid of Boris (or was Yeltsin, I don't know...) grip? Did the dog just released him without any reason? After all Bino didn't sxay a thing about it. Did King become the Hulk for a few seconds and smashed him before going to the watch?
I don't think that Rick needs to show everything that goes on. It's really not important how King escaped the two dogs. The important part is that King is dramatically chasing after his fate and we see that Fox catches it. Most likely the dogs holding him released him in surprise when Bino threw the watch.

The status quo is something that has been changing slowly. We already have seen Sasha, Fido, and Fox develop slowly over the strips. The problem is, no one really wants to change how things work badly enough. Fox's own line of "Can we...just pretend this never happened." indicates that he really doesn't want to think about or reflect on what's just happened. But this is going to be the second time he beats up Bino, which I think indicates that he's seeing Bino as less and less of a friend.

Sasha is also developing slowly. I imagine it's hard for Rick to deal with her character since she's obviously got some talents and intelligence, but how much is hard to tell.

Finally, Fido is probably going to beat himself up over this, knowing that he allows his brother to be mean and spiteful.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

sliceofdog wrote:It may be because Fox and King are my favourite characters, and that their interactions always make for good comics, but I really liked today's strip. I really don't see it as an anti-climax, any more than Wonderful Dog's Life was an anti-climax for ending with "By the way, vet follow-up is tomorrow" (Well, that wasn't the final ending, but it's the equivalent to this comic)

Also, I find it interesting (not complaining, mind, just pointing it out) that the few people like me who aren't fans of the whole cosmic yarn got blasted when they dared mention not liking it (the cosmic dragon reveal, the game etc) yet so many people are blatantly saying "Eh, it wasn't very good, but maybe if the next comic is AMAZING I won't complain", and hardly anyone is calling you up on it. Forgive me for being so blunt, but either no aspect of the storyline can be complained about, or any of it can. People who don't like the extremes have just as valid an opinion as those who don't like comics such as the one today (which I really enjoyed).

And I would imagine that Fox will not be in the next comic, because storyline wise he will be chasing down Bino. It will most likely be King and Sabrina/Tarot/Kitsune.
It's okay. It's just my personal taste I talked here. I didn't like this weird (in my opinion, again) outcome, but many people did, and mroe importantly Ricky liked it (and in the end that's what really matter).
As for Boris, I still don't know...I know ricky can't show everything unless he's willing to spend much more time drawing (which he already said he wasn't going to). I guess I should shut up about this subject for now because I have no positive comment to say about today's strip.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
valerio

Post by valerio »

totally this, Indagare^^
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Nice save from Fox.

My own two cents:

Did noticed that Fox took a complete 180 turn. First he cared less about the watch because of Joel's name on it and now he saves the watch and gives it back to King. Pretty good I say. Judging by the expression in the 5 and 6 panels, I guessing that Fox thinks that King have some connection to the watch, but did doesn't mean he found out about King's serect just yet. That is, if he ever finds out.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Barkeron wrote:Nice save from Fox.

My own two cents:

Did noticed that Fox took a complete 180 turn. First he cared less about the watch because of Joel's name on it and now he saves the watch and gives it back to King. Pretty good I say. Judging by the expression in the 5 and 6 panels, I guessing that Fox thinks that King have some connection to the watch, but did doesn't mean he found out about King's serect just yet. That is, if he ever finds out.
Fox values more his bond with King, not a stupid watch. It doesn't mean he could have a talk with king about the watch, but he'd rather not see his best friend hurt.
valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:

Only now, Kitsune, I am reflecting on Fox's expression and words in panel 6. And you may be so right...
I have a SO bad feeling about this, now. Even if Fox had a last moment-change of heart, he basically let Bino do his bullying, and only when Bino threw the watch away, did Fox intervene.
He would've let it smashed.
Oh, man oh man... :cry:
Last edited by valerio on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

valerio wrote: Fox values more his bond with King, not a stupid watch. It doesn't mean he could have a talk with king about the watch, but he'd rather not see his best friend hurt.
Yeah that too. But still the expressions in panels 4, 5, and 6 says alot.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

valerio wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:

Only now, Kitsune, I am reflecting on Fox's expression and words in panel 6. And you may be so right...
I have a SO bad feeling about this, now. Even if Fox had a last moment-change of heart, he basically let Bino do his bullying, and only when Fido threw the watch away, did Fox intervene.
One explanation for Fox to allow Bino bully King was that he was too shocked to see the wtach again to move a muscle (I said I would shut up about complaining, btw).
valerio

Post by valerio »

whatever it is, now I hope King accepts truly Fox's implicit apology, or this won't end well... :cry:
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

valerio wrote:Only now, Kitsune, I am reflecting on Fox's expression and words in panel 6. And you may be so right...
I have a SO bad feeling about this, now. Even if Fox had a last moment-change of heart, he basically let Bino do his bullying, and only when Bino threw the watch away, did Fox intervene.
It's probably the same case as the Christmas 2009 arc, where Fox wonders why he's still friends with Bino.

BTW: Corrected. :3
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

I love the character building and conflicts in this arc.
That is to say, I don't think the arc is over just yet.
Though I won't guess what comes next; its Rick's story, not mine.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
valerio

Post by valerio »

Esquire Fox wrote:I love the character building and conflicts in this arc.
That is to say, I don't think the arc is over just yet.
Though I won't guess what comes next; its Rick's story, not mine.
if i got it right, next comes conclusion to this arc AND of this season...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Fox is King's friend, and he saw how much King needed that watch. He wasn't going to question that and let it fall into the wrong paws. However, he has no idea why the heck King cares so much and is probably weirded out by the whole thing, so he'd rather not hear the explanation. Which is my guess for why he wanted to never speak of it again.
valerio wrote:Bino deserves a severe punishment because he was mean, ruthless and knew exactly what he was doing. He had always tormented King for no other reason than being mean. He wanted to smash the clock just to prove a moot point. He treated rudely his own brother Joey. nothing Bino did in his arc has an honorable justification. He was the villain, not simply the antagonist.
He was mean and ruthless, but he did not know exactly what he was doing. He thought he was destroying his own watch. Not a piece of King's soul. He also didn't torment King for no reason; he torments King because he feels his shaky position of social influence is threatened by him. Having an honorable justification is a requirement for being a hero, not for not being a villain.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Vyath

Post by Vyath »

I agree, Fox may suspect something is going on with King in relation to Joel, but he values their friendship more.

btw, this may be off what we are currently discussing, but I saw enough people commenting on this it made me want to do it.
here you go, panel 1 edited:
Attachments
bigno.png
bigno.png (31.75 KiB) Viewed 16005 times
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:Fox is King's friend, and he saw how much King needed that watch. He wasn't going to question that and let it fall into the wrong paws. However, he has no idea why the heck King cares so much and is probably weirded out by the whole thing, so he'd rather not hear the explanation. Which is my guess for why he wanted to never speak of it again.
valerio wrote:Bino deserves a severe punishment because he was mean, ruthless and knew exactly what he was doing. He had always tormented King for no other reason than being mean. He wanted to smash the clock just to prove a moot point. He treated rudely his own brother Joey. nothing Bino did in his arc has an honorable justification. He was the villain, not simply the antagonist.
He was mean and ruthless, but he did not know exactly what he was doing. He thought he was destroying his own watch. Not a piece of King's soul. He also didn't torment King for no reason; he torments King because he feels his shaky position of social influence is threatened by him. Having an honorable justification is a requirement for being a hero, not for not being a villain.
But Bino hates King solely because of his name...
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Bino must be the hospital's most welcome face. :roll:

Oh, and even if Fox intentionally waited until the last minute (which I DON'T believe he did, by the way), he STILL did the right thing, and CLEARLY values King's friendship. :) Also, if he was just LETTING Bino do his bullying, then why, may I ask, is Bino shortly going to be unconscious? :roll: The fact that Fox is about to beat on him yet AGAIN somewhat implies he would have done that even IF the watch had been smashed. And then he would DEFINITELY have apologized to King.

Of course, none of that matters now, what happened has happened. :)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:Fox is King's friend, and he saw how much King needed that watch. He wasn't going to question that and let it fall into the wrong paws. However, he has no idea why the heck King cares so much and is probably weirded out by the whole thing, so he'd rather not hear the explanation. Which is my guess for why he wanted to never speak of it again.
Sleet, please! Bino felt threatened by King's NAME, for pete's sake! if that's a rightful basis for feeling uindermined in his rank, it more than ever underlines that Bino is a crazy sociopath, not just 'insecure'.
And when I said about knowing what Bino was doing, I intended that Bino wanted to smash KING'S watch and making him cry! To prove a moot point!
Remember what BINO said?
Stop Playing munchkin and hold this dweeb down while I smash his stuff!
Bino never considered 'his' the watch, he only wanted to make sure King didn't get it back.
And when he was confronted into giving it back, what was his choice? ops, I threw it away.
That's the raw, stinking core of a BULLY, and of the worst kind. No matter how much one can feel 'insecure', when you reach certain levels, you're to be PUNISHED, because good faith has gone down a DEEP drain with you.
As for Fox, sorry, but you're half-right. The guy was there, he was about to let the watch smashed hadn't been for Fido not-so-spontaneous change of heart. Fox saved the day, but he still owes deep apology big time to King for not being with him in a very serious moment. Even on a stupid watch.
Last edited by valerio on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

angelusbr wrote:
But Bino hates King solely because of his name...
But why is it that Bino doesn't like King's name, hmm?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

But Bino hates King solely because of his name...[/quote]But why is it that Bino doesn't like King's name, hmm?[/quote]

Maybe Bino is jealousy, maybe he want the "King" name.
Last edited by theblackcateyes on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:But Bino hates King solely because of his name...
But why is it that Bino doesn't like King's name, hmm?[/quote]
One day, Sleet, you'll understand that Bino is a plain egocentric, manic sociopath. The kind of guy who, if human, one would send to the reformatory.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's not really complimentary of someone's writing skills to call their unkind characters one-dimensionally evil rather than having a justification, albeit a twisted one, for their actions.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

If I know Fox, then he WILL apologize, if he needs to. His heart has never TRULY shown otherwise. And King, if he DOES value Fox's friendship as much as his imagination suggests, will accept. :) So don't worry about it so much. What happened happened, and was quite awesome, from what I hear.

I must must be going mental, ME saying not to worry. :?
valerio

Post by valerio »

Sleet wrote:It's not really complimentary of someone's writing skills to call their unkind characters one-dimensionally evil rather than having a justification, albeit a twisted one, for their actions.
In Italy we say, when one want to involve the authority in an improper manner, 'Tirare per la giacchetta' (pull someone by hisjer jacket, literally).
Sleet, don't put words in my mouth, please. I am not criticizing Rick here and anyone who knows me knows I'm a dedicated fan.
This said, I'm saying that so far, Bino has showed all the traits of a jerk, basically. A funny jerk, one with whom I had sympathized at times (the shock collar arc) and after he had managed to injury himself in the Money Sharks arc.
But no appearances of him, unless you can prove me wrong, showed any kind of progress. The NICEST thing he did was to recycle gifts for Sasha. Heck, on Christmas time, last year, he didn't show he cared about her, while she was literally freezing her butt after being locked out from her own Dad!
So, as much it's true there are not the grounds, technically, to call Bino or any other Housepets! character 'monodimensional', Bino (again, please PROVE me wrong) has been nothing short of a jerk who, with this arc, escalated to the total bully status (OK, I admit it, 'villain' was too much to say, sorry).
Remember: he-feels-threatened-by-King's-NAME.
His personality, as long as more development comes in the way, is the one of a sociopath.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I'll love see the strip where Bino discovers that Rex is the Latin word for KING.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have never once denied that Bino was a jerk. But his actions follow a pattern more complicated than "he's a sociopath."
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:I have never once denied that Bino was a jerk. But his actions follow a pattern more complicated than "he's a sociopath."
If he's nto that he's insane to say the least
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

angelusbr wrote:I'll love see the strip where Bino discovers that Rex is the Latin word for KING.
That would be...amazingly amusing.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

angelusbr wrote:
Sleet wrote:I have never once denied that Bino was a jerk. But his actions follow a pattern more complicated than "he's a sociopath."
If he's nto that he's insane to say the least

>.>

<.<

...You mean there are people who don't think Bino is at least a little insane?
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

He's possibly one of the most insane and paranoid pets in Babylon Gardens, aside from Tiger. There's no reason for his actions other than that. I'm fine with that, it's fun to have a character that does what they want for non-sensible reasons. Even if they turn out to be a huge jerk.