Time Travel

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Anthroguy101

Time Travel

Post by Anthroguy101 »

If you could visit any point in history, where would you go and why?
EDIT: I'd like to assume that we're just visiting and NOT changing the past.
Last edited by Anthroguy101 on Tue May 17, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YingBlanc

Re: Time Travel

Post by YingBlanc »

hmm....I don't know, either go to a point that is a mystery to humans and watch the event happen or go back in time and go to a place where they say "Aliens helped them" and be that Alien :P
I'm a brony now, Bronies are cool - Doctor Whooves =3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Are we allowed to change anything, or is this just alternate-collapsing-timeline tourism stuff, kupo?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I'd probably go to see Sir Francis Drake and play some bowls as we watched the Spanish Armada being sunk by the storms at sea. xD
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

Sleet wrote:Are we allowed to change anything, or is this just alternate-collapsing-timeline tourism stuff, kupo?
Ya, cause my answer could be A) back to before humans existed and ponies reined supreme, Canterlot, or B) Renaissance Italy.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I would go back to before life emerged onto land. i would want to sit on the shore and watch the boundless ocean wash over the bare rock, thinking of how one day life will take over the land, but for now, I would be alone, in solitude, able to walk around in piece and quiet.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:Are we allowed to change anything, or is this just alternate-collapsing-timeline tourism stuff, kupo?
copper wrote:I would go back to before life emerged onto land. i would want to sit on the shore and watch the boundless ocean wash over the bare rock, thinking of how one day life will take over the land, but for now, I would be alone, in solitude, able to walk around in piece and quiet.
I'd prefer a time period with a breathable atmosphere, but that's just me.

Most of what I'd like to see are places I wouldn't want to stay at all. I'd want to see the Great Depression, maybe some 18th century colonial America- oh, and probably some Ancient Rome, maybe some Mesopotamia. But I'd definitely make sure to pack extra plutonium, because I am a fan of electricity and indoor plumbing.
Image Image
Alex

Post by Alex »

I would go to 1969. Don't ask why, it's a long explanation.
But outside of that, I would go to 1982 and prevent Randy Rhoads from getting onto the plain when he died.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

I'd prefer a time period with a breathable atmosphere, but that's just me.
So long as you get there a while after the blue-green algae does, you should be fine.
Does it have anything to do with the moon landing? Wait... but that would be a short explanation. Hm.
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

I would take Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Augustus Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte and Edward, the Black Prince of Wales to a bar in L.A.... HA HA HAaaaa!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:
Does it have anything to do with the moon landing? Wait... but that would be a short explanation. Hm.
No. And I'm serious, the moon landing doesn't have to do anything with it. It's something else :P
Richarson Valley

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Alex wrote:
Coatl_Ruu wrote:
No. And I'm serious, the moon landing doesn't have to do anything with it. It's something else :P
It's gotta be the Summer of '69 of course. :P
Shake

Post by Shake »

I'd go back in time to when the Earth was barren and lifeless and drop an egg salad sandwich on a beach somewhere.

Now counting the number of posts until someone gets the reference.
You've shattered my mind and rearranged the pieces into something beautiful.
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

Man, I've thought a lot about this! :P

If I get to change things:

1910 Germany, assuming I get to hang around for the next 30 years, since it's a long term plan. 1837, Texas, I'd stick around for the next 15 years or so. 1855, US, sticking around for the next decade.

If I don't get to change anything I'd just go and hang around in the late 1880's.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'd enact a plan to time travel back to the most recent tragic event and prevent it, come back to see how drastic the change caused, and go back and let it happen the way it should if the changes are too great. if the changes are minor and/or better than what was supposed to happen, I would go back to the nearest tragic event to the one I just fixed and repeat this process. If possible, I'd recruit others to my cause and we'd create the best reality possible.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If I could change things, I'd have to do a lot of research first, kupo. I'd basically be given the power to do a ridiculous amount of good for the world, and I don't want to squander it.

If it was just of the "tourism" variety, I'd probably go hang out with Jesus or check out the music scene in the 1700s, early 1800s or the jazz age, kupo.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Wherever the TARDIS decides I need to be.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I would want to go see either the first chicken or the first egg and solve life's age old question if I couldn't change anything.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I would go back in time and invest in Microsoft.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Cwitt wrote:I would go back in time and invest in Microsoft.
I think that people would get suspicious if you had invested so many years ago and plan to cash in on it at the same age but many years later. also, you'd need to go back again when Microsoft starts failing to sell it and get the most out of your investment.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Alex

Post by Alex »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:If I don't get to change anything I'd just go and hang around in the late 1880's.
Why the late 1880's? Was there something interesting during those years?
It's gotta be the Summer of '69 of course.
Wrong :P It's the whole year! Something changed in a place after 1969. "The birds" are singing about it!
Richarson Valley

Senator_Sunburst

Alex wrote: Why the late 1880's? Was there something interesting during those years?
I have a thing for the mid to late 19th century.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Alex wrote:
It's gotta be the Summer of '69 of course.
Wrong :P It's the whole year! Something changed in a place after 1969. "The birds" are singing about it!
The b- b- b- b- bird bird bird, the bird's the- *shot*

In other news, I might like to go back to the time of the Roman empire. Besides the lead water pipes, it seems like a pretty nice place.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Sleet wrote:If it was just of the "tourism" variety, I'd probably go hang out with Jesus
That would definitely be my pick! If I had to see something, it would be those miracles! And I could even get tons of advices and lessons! ... Actually, that means going to Solomon's time and get advice from King Solomon sounds pretty good too.
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

Ill chime in on this! Though im late as can be.

If what i did in that time period wouldnt alter the present, I would have to say I would go to December 31 1979 and live through the 1980s. I really wanted to be alive in the 80s. Something about experiencing the then new technology being created.... progression of time, seeing what my town looked like back then, meeting my family in the past...

If what I did altered the present, I would have told my dad not to quit his old job.
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

I'd go to the 1980's for the old 8-bit style gaming and the plethora of awesome cartoons, movies, and music!

(which is ironic, since I'm a 90's kid...)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Nitrosparxx wrote:I'd go to the 1980's for the old 8-bit style gaming and the plethora of awesome cartoons, movies, and music!

(which is ironic, since I'm a 90's kid...)
You know, that's actually a great idea. The 80s were the best years the world has ever gone through when it comes to music!
Richarson Valley

Senator_Sunburst

Alex wrote: You know, that's actually a great idea. The 80s were the best years the world has ever gone through when it comes to music!
This is a terrible lie. The 1980's were the worst years for everything.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Eh, opinions, opinions. Let's just agree to disagree and avoid a terrible flame war.
Richarson Valley

Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
This is a terrible lie. The 1980's were the worst years for everything.
The 80's was a decade of excess. Most of the people that I know that were alive in the 80's say they enjoyed it.

And, yes, some of the best music was made in the 80s. I <3 80's New Wave and Pop. Michel Jackson's Thriller FTW!
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Ah...I would travel to medieval times! Knights, castles, and art! Of course it isn't what everyone thinks it is. :P
Make Pasta not war.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Lots and lots of dirt and disease. Then again, with all your modern technology you could be rich enough to live in the best areas. :3
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

I'd go back to the late 1800's to watch Nikola Tesla's experiments
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I'd travel back to see all my favorite movies when they were first released in theaters! Star Wars, Alien and Aliens, Clue, Airplane!, Predator, Jaws; it'd be awesome!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

You know, if I could change things, I'd definitely change a lot that I've done in the past year. :P
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I would go back before every time I hurt myself, so I would prevent myself from getting hurt. :lol:
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

But... paradox! The universe would implode! D:
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Future, duh Image

And unlike going back in time, that is much likely scientifically possible. For example you can put yourself in a statis for a long time or somehow use the time dilatation to slow down the time flow locally for a quite a short period of time (for you, relatively, that's why it's called theory of relativity, because it's all relative), but outside the significantly time dilated area, time will flow at much faster pace relatively to the time flow inside the dilated area (the time flow will remain the same in the outside world, relative to the outside world (well... if you only consider Earth and take into account only very significant changes, because time doesn't flow at the same pace everywhere in the universe and if we considered that, it would invalidate several previous statements) and it will seem very slow inside the time dilated area from the outer world perspective) so while just a few minutes pass for you, many years will pass outside, so you'll technically be in the future, which is future only relative to you of course, future relative to the future is present. The only problem is, that it's difficult to get back, since in theory, going back in time is significantly more complex, possibly even impossible.
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Shake

Post by Shake »

Ooooh, new idea! Exploit time loops and blah blah to create an army of myself. What for? We'll think of that as we go along!

Also, going back to the late 90's and convincing Will Smith to accept the role of Neo in the Matrix. Since yes, he was the studio's first pick but he turned it down for some reason.
You've shattered my mind and rearranged the pieces into something beautiful.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I want to visit the 90s again.