This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 64  Next
HOUSEPETS! THE SERIES Official Thread 

Post Re: Valerio's translated fanfics
Poor girl. Left alone by her tragical owner. Making her world to collapse.

But at least... she had something to rely her heart on.

:)

I'm a bookworm!
Currently reading: "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:36 pm
Puppy Wrangler

I see you added the new name into this update, though middle names aren't usually the same among brothers...

Nice update. Seems Max might be up to something.

Grapenut is just so adorable. And Fido and Sasha seem to be getting along well. When's the crash coming?

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Oh geez I done fell behind again... managed to read it all though and yay everything is looking so far on the up and up! Bino had a tender moment with a cat and Grape and peanut took advantage... that's both awesome and kinda mean. Also I hope Maxwell isn't up to something... Grapenut is too good for that! I look forward to falling behind and catching up again! :lol:

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:58 pm
Game Master

copper wrote:
I see you added the new name into this update, though middle names aren't usually the same among brothers...

Nice update. Seems Max might be up to something.

Grapenut is just so adorable. And Fido and Sasha seem to be getting along well. When's the crash coming?

In fact, that is a double surname, wrongly spelled Zechary-Foster, although both Martin and Joel prefer to use the last segment of that.
Max is *always* up to something. As for success...well, that doesn't necessarily come with his intentions :lol:
Grapenut is adorableness itself. I'll never be enough grateful to Sinder and Two-Twig for inspiring me into this series :D
And hey, Fido is a trusted, honorable doggie housemate, mon! :mrgreen:

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Puppy Wrangler

I am always suspicious of Fido. He is too good to be true. I think he has a dark side as well, Valerio.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:41 am
Game Master

copper wrote:
I am always suspicious of Fido. He is too good to be true. I think he has a dark side as well, Valerio.

hmm...who knows? ;)

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Puppy Wrangler

I do. Something isn't right with him. Something is hidden deep in his psyche. I know it.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:47 am
Game Master

copper wrote:
I do. Something isn't right with him. Something is hidden deep in his psyche. I know it.

Well, you know better than I that Fido had to work his tail through becoming the top dog, and that with a brother like Bino who never made things easy for him. Joey's a nice guy but his...tastes in relationships could make Fido the laughingstock of the K-9 unit, not to mention the tension of living an unapproved kind of relationship...
Plus, he keeps doing over his best to be Captain Doggy America.
In Italian, we'd call such a guy, 'Una Pentola a Pressione'.

Anyway, as you can guess, this matter I am gonna take care of, in this series ;)

Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:52 am
Profile WWW
Game Master

Foster Mansion garage, 21:00 hours

“Let’s see...” Martin Foster checked the pets sitting in his car. Alcor, in the passenger seat. Antares and Aldebaran in the back seat. Mizar sitting sitting on Antares’ lap, Sasha on Aldebaran’s. Fido as the third passenger in the special pet seat.
In the trunk, Max was waiting in the row of seats that awaited its final two passengers.
Martin checked his watch. “Strange. Peanut and Grape should have been here since this morning, knowing them. I don’t remember there being two more hardcore fans of the Pridelands series in Babylon Gardens.”
“Yush,” agreed Antares. “Peanut drew a number of nice crossovers between Spot (Superdog) and Pridelands.”
“Really?” said Sasha. “And how are they? He dedicated a strip of Spot to me and Fido, did you know that?”
The twins exchanged a puzzled look, then resumed. “He did a good job, as usual,” said Aldebaran. “But I still don’t get why he’s so fond of that Saso guy?”
“Saso as in Saso the Destroyer?” asked Max “The one who burned the village of Beyshan and sowed salt on their fields? That Saso?” The cat couldn’t believe his ears. “Nah, I just can’t see that sickeningly sweet mutt rooting for such a bad guy. Furthermore, Saso was turned in to the lion tribe of Mayka for bloody justice by his own tribe!”
“We put those strips in his blog,” Antares said. “Go checkie if you want.”
“All true,” said Aldebaran. “Actually, we haven’t even asked him why he likes that shady guy so much. In the comic, Spot saves him just before the execution and helps him contact the clan of his mother, Amara, to restrengthen their family bonds, regain possession of the title of First Hunter and then beat up the members of the Laughing Face, who were keeping the hostilities with the lions going on.”
“And Jeijan too comes out of this in shining colors… well, plumage aside,” added Antares. “That little birdie has some grit! By itself, the scene in which he stands up to the Dragon Council is worth the deviation from the books.”
Max was nothing short of impressed. “Who would have thought? Peanut, writer extraordinaire.” And there went another point in favor of the mutt. Max could get tickets for the movies, accompany Grape to the bookstore, but he had never actually created anything “Will you give me the URL to your blog?”
“Yup,” came the stereophonic reply.
Max then turned to Sasha. “And what about you, candyhead? I didn’t imagine you as a Pridelands fan.”
Sasha leaned over the huge dog’s shoulder. “There are the most romantic stories ever, in those books; they could melt a rock. I’ve always bought the hardcover edition with the illustrations by Melissa Benson: her Cape Dogs are... mmmmMMM” Meeting the author AND the artist for the event’s limited edition were reason enough to skin oneself alive...
Fido was the only one who wasn’t a fan. It was the first time he would be going to that event. Sabrina was, as usual the past several days, engaged in some of her secret activities, and had asked him the favor of getting her a signed copy. Spo had wanted to come at first, but after Fido had reminded him that 98% of the guests were supposed to be cats, the small mouse had decided that he needed to sleep for the night.
“But what are those two doing!?” Max grumbled. If he had a watch, he’d have tapped the glass into shattering. “At this rate we’ll be the last–”
“We’re here!” shouted Grape, running toward the garage together with Peanut. “Sorry sorry sorry! I woke up early this morning and kept him awake then he took a nap and then I did too and so–”
Martin patted her on the head. Relax, little Sandwich. We’re only ten minutes behind schedule. Got enough time all the same. Now hop on in, hup hup.”
Once they got to the trunk, despite there being a small pet ladder, Grape said to Peanut in a peremptory tone, “You know what to do, to be forgiven.”
In response, the dog saluted sharply, then put himself on all 4s, and allowed her to use him as a living ladder to get up on the car..
“You’re forgiven,” said Grape. Peanut climbed in and then Martin worked to strap the three pets to the seats. “Oh, hi there, Maxwell,” she said casually, as if she had only just noticed the presence of the black cat sitting just next to her.
Martin closed the door. Max gave her a pleading look. “Grape, c’MON! I’m really sorry for how I behaved. Ask me something, anything to be back in your graces!”
The lavender cat looked at him with a smirk. “Anything?”
Max nodded vigorously.
“You could pretend you’re not here, then.”
Max felt himself sinking. “Graaaape?”
“I’ll think of something, if you really care. But I warn you, you may not like it.”
Martin shut the door. “Okay, it’s off we go!”
“YAY!” came the collective voice.
“Antares and Aldebaran, as usual you get first choice for the music.”
Mizar and Alcor didn’t even grimace. They just took each a pair of earplugs from their collars and put them on. Peanut and Grape, who knew the giant twins’ music tastes, plugged their ears with their fingers. Fido got worried. Sasha was wagging. Max was curious, thinking Grape was exaggerating a bit…
Martin turned on the iPod, then the notes of Sabaton’s Primo Victoria filled the car to a biologically unbearable volume!
---
Gardens Grand Mall

As Martin had promised, he had fully caught up on the late startup... not that it would actually make a difference, he feared...
‘Crowded’ wasn’t enough to describe the GGM’s parking lot. They had never seen so many bumpers and tires concentrated beyond the limitations of Euclidean geometry. The parking lot was a constellation of headlights. The cats’ eyes reflecting the lights turned that place into a district of Midwich!
“Wow,” said Martin. “Once I cooked breakfasts on a grill close to a Sears, during a Black Friday. Not much different.”
“First time, huh?” Max asked with some sarcasm.
“Yeah. Usually I get them from Amazon.”
In a way, Grape was glad to see that Mr. Top Guy had messed up, even though there was little to be happy about. Yet she would’ve fought to kill, to get the very first copy signed ‘To Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly Sandwich.’ She wasn’t this excited since she came here for the first time for the third volume of the series… Back then, Peanut was just the jolly-dopey housemate who had just discovered Pridelands. Since then, she had found an unexpected kindred soul in their common passion. Heh, perhaps it was right that night, that Grape had started feeling something for Peanut, because she hadn’t maimed him despite his attempts to spoil the book’s content during the whole trip back home. Her adorable, silly mutt; he had acted as if he had just discovered a hole filled with toys. Grape remembered she had to put up her ‘bad kitty’ face, or she would’ve started chatting with him, falling for him… and straight into the pets’ strictest social taboo–
The lavender cat’s fur almost exploded at the sound of Alcor’s alarmed roar. ”Third one on the left!” Usually Alcor sat in the passenger seat because he had the sharpest eye and the keenest sense of orientation. He was better than an electronic navigator. Martin turned according to the white cat’s indication, fast like a cheetah! “Got it!”
Unfortunately, Alcor was not the only one to have seen the empty slot.
“Forget it, bub!” Martin whispered. “That baby’s mine!” He floored the accelerator, making the Hummer roar like a T-Rex. At the same time he turned on all the lights at full power! The sun itself seemed to shine against the other vehicle, for a short moment, but it was enough. The other vehicle, a gray sedan the ‘Bismarck’ could’ve parked there without a sweat, but it halted with a loud screech. The largest vehicle parked easily with a single maneuver.
Martin turned off the engine, then hi-fived Alcor. The other pets cheered and whistled their approval.
“Majisimo, man!” said Max “You’re a tough cookie, I like it!”
The man opened the door automatically. “Yeah, y’know the saying, Maxie: Never put yourself between a man and his slot. Come on, folks, let’s go. You can disengage yourself.”

Martin had just finished closing the trunk, when someone addressed him in the rudest term possible. He turned in time to see a punch going straight for his face!
The blow stopped an inch from his face.
Antares was holding the man’s wrist in a death-grip. With a monstrous growl, the dog slammed the aggressor against the Humvee’s side, shaking the vehicle, then keeping the man nailed there without any effort! The adorable big puppy had just been replaced by a fierce warrior, and Grape, Peanut, Max and Sasha were appalled, if not frightened by this change... Aldebaran had approached his brother, ready to tear the human that dared to threaten his Dad into pieces!
“The Kings of the Mountain,” Martin said, calmly. “Ukrainian dog breed for military and counter-guerrilla ops. Antares, let him go, I think he understands.”
The dog obeyed, and even if he covered his fangs, still he was wired up and ready, exhaling deep and powerful breaths, his eyes no less fierce.
Martin went to the other man, who was busy staring at the beast that up to a minute before had seemed just a happy puppy... “Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Martin Foster, and I sincerely apologize for my earlier behavior. Don’t worry about my boys, they were just defending me…” Then his eyes fell on a russet-striped cat waiting by the other man’s car. “Say, that your boy?” He waved to the feline. “Everything’s OK, young man! Come over here, this is supposed to be a nice evening for us all!”
“Foster?” asked the man. “The guy who built over the remains of Whiteman House? The same guy who’s rebuilding Babylon Gardens’ shelter?”
Martin nodded. “Yup! Excuse me, but no autographs for tonight. And call me Martin.”
In spite of himself, the other man found himself smiling. He felt as if he had just met a good friend. He shook hands with Martin. “Charmed. Name’s Kevin Marsh. I was just thinking of moving to the Gardens. Their bank gives out great loans, in spite of the crisis and it surely beats living in a condo. Anyway, I wanted to congratulate you, Martin. Whiteman house was...” he shuddered.
Martin’s face had turned gloomy. “I know. The land’s owners sold it to me at bargain price, provided I rebuilt everything from the very foundations. Worth every penny spent. Now, there’s a veritable pet gym instead of that Pet Fight Club arena.”
“Really?”
Martin nodded. He allowed himself back to his normal tone. “Pool included. We started our own pet fitness club. Why don’t you and your cat visit, one of these days? That’ll be my final move into convincing you into moving. You’ll love the Gardens.”
“You won’t have to work hard for that. It’s just that I still don’t like commuting much, there are extra expenses that I should take into account...”
“At the next meeting, I’m gonna propose instituting a dedicated bus line for the Gardens’ residents and their pets. A service that could help you renounce using a car. I can keep you updated on that… Also, you could talk with other people who want to move.”

The whole group had decided to walk to the store. After all, they didn’t want their humans to take a number and wait in line.
“Your Dad is either very stupid or very brave,” said Mizar to the russet tabby, who had in the meantime joined the group. “Usually, humans just need to take a look at those two lugs to get unmotivated from any bad intentions.”
The cat shrugged. “Heh, Kevin would take on Lucifer himself, when push comes to shoves. He could never stand bullies.”
“Heh, much like our dad,” said Alcor.
The tabby stuck his tongue at the Foster pets. “Hah! My daddy is better than yours! He’s a Marine. Special Operations Command!”
Antares and Aldebaran WOWed.
“Are they important people,” asked Sasha.
“The mamas of all of tough cookies,” said Antares. “Counter-Terrorism Special Ops, first line in the hottest battle zones. Like our militaries in the Special Forces Alfa.”
Aldebaran gave a slap at the cat’s back, almost throwing him on the concrete. “Vitayu, tovaryshu! Your human being deserves respect! Can you forgive us for mistreating him a little bit?”
The cat touched his chest to see if his lungs were still there. “You know, I don’t think anyone except his drill sergeant has ever managed to mistreat him, so I think he will give his respect to you. But it’s also true that I’ve been living with Kevin only for a short time.”
During that conversation, Grape hadn’t uttered a word. Seeing that cat, smelling his scent, clicked something in her memory, but it was something she just couldn’t grasp, like one of those rubber balls that bounce everywhere…
“Grape?” asked Max, “You okay?”
A few steps from the GGM bookstore, Grape stopped in front of the russet tabby. The rest of the group stopped in turn.
“Grape..?” said Peanut, suddenly concerned.
The lavender cat got closer to the feline male, sniffing him, examining him, knowing instinctively the truth, yet... No, it was not possible. How many chances there were to encounter this cat so soon after being reunited with her first housemate, Lucky?
“I know you,” she said.
Serendipity, Uncle Martin had called it. The man who helped her survive just enough to reach the shelter from which Peanut and his parents would rescue her. The man who had co-adopted her and Peanut and that, thanks to him bullying his way into a parking spot, had allowed her to meet another fragment of her troubled past.
A cat she dearly hoped had survived his own share of tragedies.
Grape was about to pronounce the name of that cat that still had not introduced himself... when someone else did it for her.
“...Felix!”

Last edited by valerio on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:20 am
Profile WWW
Puppy Wrangler

Another chance meeting!? And who stole Grape's thunder!? I think a mauling is coming.

Great update. Really like the conversation before Peanut and Grape arrived.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:28 am
Game Master

Grand Gardens Mall

In a way, Grape should have expected it: of all the animals she knew in Babylon Gardens, the Husky named Fox was the most avid book reader (after Peanut, of course). Once, Peanut had carelessly said to him, Bino and Rex that he liked the Pridelands book series. Of course, Bino and Fox had scorned him for that, but Peanut had the distinct impression that Fox’s comments showed more than he wanted to admit in front of Bino
So, it wasn’t a surprise to find Fox in the midst of the presentation of the series’ fourth book. That the malamute, Lucky, his housemate and most recent adoption of Fox’s Dad, was present as well, came as no surprise.
Lucky was the first and important pet in Grape’s life. Princess Periwinkle was her name, then, she was a kitten, and Lucky was her big brother hero... Theirs was a good life, before their owners abandoned them because of the money.
To be reunited with Lucky, thanks to Uncle Martin, was the best thing that had happened to her, after accepting her love for Peanut.
And now Martin Foster had, again by sheer chance, found the last fragment of her past before the Sandwiches...
"Felix," she repeated the name of the russet tabby, after Lucky had done the same thing.
The world around them had stopped, at that moment. Sounds and smells had disappeared. Grape had first met Felix when her family was almost in its death throes with money. They had already moved into a trailer park.
Felix belonged to one the neighbors. Pets were rare presences, there. Residents had moved there because they couldn’t afford to keep one or hadn’t any at all. The parents of Princess Periwinkle and Lucky were considered very lucky to have two pets... For a while, at least.
Grape remembered well when she stole the meager remains of her parent’s meals to give them to Felix, who was often left out alone and cold... And Felix had proved a funny playmate, after a while...
"Princess..." Felix said, breaking the spell. The cat turned around. "Lucky… Is that really you?"
"Yay!" Cat and dog rushed to hug the tabby. "The Three Musketeers are back!" Lucky said, rubbing his fist in Felix’s headfur. "I can’t believe it, simply can’t believe it! Look at yourself, such a tiger you’ve become! I remember you were such a bonebag!”
"Look who’s talking, you papa bear! You could hardly stand up!" Felix kept on moving his head to and from his old friends. "So your name’s Grape, now, Princess? And that friend of yours," he pointed his thumb at the brown dog who was watching with enthusiasm at the unexpected reunion, “is Peanut, right?" He chuckled, and immediately swallowed when, icy like the North Pole, Grape said, "Yes. Peanut Butter. And he’s my boyfriend, by the way.”
The red cat’s eyes grew wide as saucers, then he dropped to his knees. His head turned to the sky, his voice full of anguish, he howled, "Take me[/u], Great Spirit of the Dark Lands, messenger of the lost souls! My sun has set, the King Cheetah is fallen and I can’t live anymore, [i]take me! "
Grape helped him stand up. "And shut up, silly, I already have my personal buffoon." She gave a friendly smile to Max, and then said, "Yeah, okay. Peace, bro. I had already forgiven you, I just wanted to let you stew in your broth, you rascal."
Max made a jumping somersault. He looked happy like a kitten. He was so happy that he even kissed Peanut on the cheek, shocking him into puffing his fur like a cat’s. "Have I already told you that I love you to no end, ma belle?"
"Until your next backstabbing?" she asked casually.
Max put his hands to his stomach, looking as if he had just been stabbed. "Ow! Ow, ow!" He stumbled and staggered, then leaned against Fido’s arm. "Fido, as the brother of my one and only friend in this cruel world, I pray thee, bury here my poor remains."
Sasha was all happy for this unexpected development. "It's so nice to know another friend of Grape! You’re coming to the Gardens, right?"
Felix sat down on the curb, flanked by Grape and Lucky. The rest of the group joined a moment later. "Not yet. Kevin is doing his math to see if it’s more convenient to move there or to another condo in the city. I’m the only pet cat in the building, and the neighbors tolerate me because they’re patriotic and respect Kevin. I really envy you two, you know?"
"But what happened to you?" asked Grape. "Last time we saw you, you used to walk almost five miles a day just to scavenge for stuff that calling a ‘meal’ would’ve been offensive. Your humans lived with a meager allowance, if that could be called life. And now here you are, in full shape and with such a Dad! You made it better than other cats I know."
Max cleared his throat.
"By the way," said the lavender female, "better introduce you to my pack of lunatics. Felix, these are Maxwell, Mizar, Alcor, Antares, Aldebaran, Fido and Sasha. You can rely on them.”
Felix greeted them. "The pleasure’s all mine, folks, but I guess you already know that Princess is the smartest of this bunch."
"You were called 'The Three Musketeers'?" asked Alcor.
Felix nodded. "As long as we worked together, our bellies were never empty. I found the target, Princess elaborated the plan, and Lucky put up with the muscles. We were unbeatable! All for one!” he shouted, and held out high his paw for the others two to do clasp it. They burst out laughing.
Once again, Peanut felt that familiar jealousy stab at his heart. Now it was as if Grape had found her true family, another piece of her heart she had given to another male... Then the young hound felt the paw grabbing his shoulder.
Fido was watching him. His expression was serious, and was shaking his head slightly.
Peanut remembered the conversation they had a few days before, when Grape and Lucky had been reunited, and her joy was so great...
'Trust' was the key of Fido’s speech. Peanut must trust his sweet cat, he couldn’t fear she’d leave him...
Peanut smiled weakly to Fido. Whatever bad thoughts could cross his mind, it was his life together with Grape that spoke the truth, in their gestures small and great... No matter how many special friends they both could have, the lives of the Sandwich pets were united in a way that nothing could separate.
Fido took his hand off Peanut’s shoulder, in time to hear Felix say, "In the end, even my 'parents' decided to keep the door closed, forever. One night, I came back after eating garbage leftovers. I knocked and called out, but they didn’t answer. I almost would have preferred to be beaten out of my home, instead, they left me there to beg, to cry in front of their door all night, asking them what wrong I had done to them. It rained, it was so cold, and they didn’t even leave me an old box for some shelter."
"Oh, Felix..." Grape stroked his head. "My Dad drove me in the car, far from the park, and before pushing me out, he told me that we were practically starving one day at a time. He told me that I would be better off away from home... Even though he said it to convince himself, I’m sure of it."
Lucky joined the petting. "I was given to a neighbor. Mom said that she and Dad would go to the city in search of a job, that they would return that night... And they never returned. That neighbor gave me some food and told me everybody was leaving, sooner or later, and nobody would take me with them. That's how I ended up a stray."
"Eventually," Grape said, “Lucky and I ended up in the same shelter, although in different times, and from there we came to live in Babylon Gardens."
Lucky drew Fox to him, crushing him in a bear hug. "He is my new best buddy! His dad is a cop!”
"Cool," said Felix. "Kevin is a lieutenant colonel. We met at his base. I was slipping from the kitchen holding the finest sausages that I had tasted for months, but the hunger confused me so I ended straight in the mess hall.” The cat laughed. "’Mess’, indeed! All those beefy boys trying to catch me, and no one that could lay a finger on me! The dishes were scattered all around, I could’ve given up the sausages and fed for days only with what was being wasted on the floor.
"In the end, Kevin got me. I was tired and starving, and in the end I hadn’t even the strength to unsheathe my claws. I expected that at least he’d kick me out... But that guy takes me to the hospital, and orders the doctor to give me a complete checkup and all the shots, just as if I were a member of the staff. Heh, I still remember the face of that quack. I was so dirty that he handled me like I was radioactive.
"After being vaccinated against everything, and cleaned up properly, Kevin brought me the meal of a real soldier. He said that if a mangy tabby was able to put at least fifty trained marines in check, then that tabby must become the base’s mascot. Since then, we became inseparable... Except when he goes on a mission. Sometimes he’s way for months, but every time he’s back we celebrate like no tomorrow. He’s a very nice guy."
Antares and Aldebaran sighed like two girls. "Aw," they said together, "Shchaslyvyy̆ kit."
"Does that language thing happen often?" asked the cat to the others.
"Only when they are very, very happy," said Mizar. "When we play with Dad, we need a translator. However, they said, 'lucky cat'.”
"Oh, you are so right, especially now that the Three Musketeers are back together! Now, nothing can go wrong!"
"Save for the event," said Alcor, turning to the Mall, a resigned expression in his eyes.
The animals were now alone in a parking lot populated only by cars. The mass of humans and felines was crowding the bookstore, now.
Grape sighed sadly. "We’ll never get though that in time..." Although there were copies enough for late fans, Miss Auburn wouldn’t be there all night long to sign them. She felt like crying.
Peanut hugged her to comfort her, and she said, “You’ll think I’m being silly, but I wanted our own signed copy. The one dedicated to us, our first own book…”
"And who told you it can’t be done?" asked Martin’s voice.
The pets stood up... and they nearly got a collective heart attack.
Martin Foster was accompanied by Kevin Marsh, who was carrying a box containing a volume for each of pet. And along with them came a woman dressed in an elegant black dress. An all too familiar woman.
"Tara Simmonds Auburn..." murmured Grape, in awe. The Pridelands author, in the flesh, out there, with them!
Martin winked at the lavender cat. "I thought it wasn’t a good idea to interrupt your reunion, you were so much better off talking here than inside a crowded commercial center.”
"Mr. Martin has been a great benefactor to the shelter," said Miss Auburn. "I couldn’t deny him this favor, nor to my number one fans. So,” She took a pen from her purse. Kevin handed her a book and on the first page she wrote, "'To Peanut Butter and Grape Jelly, with sincere wishes for many happy years together and many good books to read by the fireplace.'" She added her signature, and handed the volume to the cat. Grape’s grin threatened to break her face in two. Peanut’s wagging could compete with an industrial air conditioner.
The author finished dedicating and signing each copy. Then she shook hands with Martin. "I wish you full success with your projects. I won’t miss the opening of the new shelter." At those words, the animals squealed and jumped like so many cheerleaders.
"You won’t be disappointed, Miss Auburn. Good luck with your fans."
When she was gone, Sasha was the first to say, "We’re gonna be the envy of the whole neighborhood, Fidey! We absolutely must celebrate. Squuueeee!”
“Well, I think I have the right idea," said Max, then whispered something into Grape’s ear.
She sighed. "Maxie, you’re not planning one of your schemes, are you?"
"Of course not! Back then, it was a disaster, whereas now we can do something all together, and without any awkward moments. After all, now you know where your heart stands."
Grape turned to Peanut. She looked shy, paws crossed behind her back and flattened ears. "Um, love, would you like to do something for me?" Peanut’s alarms started ringing. She acted like that only when she was afraid to hurt him, like that night when she proposed the ‘fake date’ thing with Max, a date that had almost broke cat and dog apart...
Peanut swallowed, and glanced at Fido, who nodded his encouragement. "Ah, tell me, Grape."
"Well... Maxie thought it would be fun if we all went to 'Heathcliff' together for dinner. It’s 10, now, and we still have time to hang out together, talk more, have more fun…"
Peanut remembered very well the name of that restaurant for cats. It was there that Grape should’ve told ‘Maxie’ they weren’t an item, that she was interested in someone else, and that they could at best be just friends... But that date had become the prelude to a long period of agony for Peanut...
His instincts, his inability to manage stress, almost led Peanut to say ‘no’.
But he loved her, trusted her judgment.
And then, what kind of boyfriend would be he to deny her a nice evening with all of these friends?
Peanut gave her a kiss on Grape’s forehead. "Of course! Uncle Martin, do you have room for Felix, too?"
The man shrugged. "I guess Fido can hold him on his lap."
"Kevin," said the cat, "Can I go with Lucky and Princess for tonight? Pleeeease?"
The marine stroked his head. "All right, Rusty. Provided that Mr. Foster will bring you back home tomorrow morning, 0800 sharp, deal?"
"Consider it done, Sir." The two men shook hands. "It was nice to meet you, and I wish you’ll soon join our community. Felix is gonna be treated like royalty, believe me."
"I do, I’m counting on that. Good night guys." He saluted sharply.
The cat returned the salute. "Good night, Sir!"
Kevin laughed and walked to his car. Martin and his guests did the same.

Shortly after the 'Bismarck' had left the parking lot, Peanut’s excited yapping said, "You’ll never guess who Dreydo is, Grape!"

Last edited by valerio on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
Puppy Wrangler

So Peanut was right, huh?

Happy days for all. The meet the "author", but not the author. Too bad.

Heathcliff's is going to be packed with a crowd like that! :lol:

Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Oh my sounds like their going to have a party over at Heathcliff's! Sounds like fun already!
Also Grape is done going to give Peanut a heart attack with the stress all her old friends be causing! Love shall prevail! GO Grapenut GO!

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:09 am

Three Musketeers? Then we will also see who will be D'Artagnane? ;)

I'm a bookworm!
Currently reading: "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:12 am
Game Master

Babylon Gardens’ dogs were of a more sociable nature. Their regular meeting place was the Good Old Dogs Club, founded by Bino. Lesser and major items were discussed, organized, there were toys, food, games… It was a fun place for pack animals, and since Martin Foster had allowed the weekly meetings to be held at his park, it had also become a very popular club. Its members could stand Bino’s more-than-occasional rants, too.
Cats weren’t exactly asocial, but they preferred the mass meetings for the special occasions, like the New Year’s Yarn Ball. That was the collective moment of songs, dances, romantic engagements and resolutions for the new year...
But when a cat wanted to spend a good time with his/her peers, in couples or in groups, there was always ‘Heathcliff’s’.
Heathcliff’s was a restaurant converted from a vacant lot, surrounded by a wooden picket fence. The cats were allowed to use in exchange for gardening duties. The nearby junkyard provided for the crates, chairs, candle holders, candles, tableware, tablecloths, in short, everything you need to make atmosphere and give a touch of class for a date or dinner with friends. Even the garbage food was carefully selected.
Heathcliff’s was a cats place. One needed to book to bring in any other species.
At the sight of the unannounced giant Foster twins, the blue, purple-striped maitress gulped. “Uh, welcome to Heathcliff’s. Two?” Sometimes, you just better not argue. Those guys may be nice enough, but you don’t want to see them upset, nossir!
Antares and Aldebaran moved aside, to reveal the large group of cats and dogs.
“Hi, Allegra,” said Max, “Twelve, actually, including beefyboys here. Sorry for the very short notice.”
Allegra’s eyes lit up. “What with everyone at the Mall, tonight, as you can see there wasn’t exactly a crowd.” The restaurant was, in fact, empty. “The management is officially grateful, guys. Five minutes to set the tables, okay? You can wait there.” She indicated a corner at the right of the entrance. After the group had set there, Mizar sniffed the air. “Hm, surely we won’t be eating any worse here than at the old shelter. I like this place, it looks so... rustic. Good choice, Max.”
“Heh, thanks.” The black cat found himself blushing. How come all the best-looking females in the Gardens were engaged with dogs?! If only he hadn’t broken up with Sabrina… She must be the last straight cat, when it came to proper-species relationships. “And what about you, Felix? Do we need to call you Rusty like your Dad does?”
“Well,” the russet tabby answered, “Rusty is my mascot name, I just grew accustomed to it, but I won’t mind using the first names we were given, for the old times’ sake. What about you, Lucky, Princess? Musketeers forever?”
“All for one!” The malamute and the lavender cat answered as one. It was funny, Grape thought, that until not much ago, ‘Princess Periwinkle’ was a name she just wanted to forget, along with many bad things of her sad past. And now that very name was bringing back the good things of those days. She was back with her best friends ever, she had her beloved Peanut, all was well…
Allegra came to announce the table was ready. As she led her customers to their place, she said, “If you don’t mind me asking, how come you’re all here? I see that you have a copy of The Dragon and the Mask, but I thought you wanted it signed, and that takes a lot of time.”
Sasha, who was still grinning in an unsettling way, held out her copy as if it was a holy relic, and opened it, revealing the handwritten dedication on the first page. It read, To Sasha, May the Water Spirits watch over your happiness forever. Tara Simmonds Auburn. “And everyone has their own!” she said, in a happy squeaking tone, hopping.
Allegra was about to have a fit. The book was officially presented at midnight, and it would’ve taken forever to sign a limited number of copies. The restaurant staff was there only because their parents couldn’t accompany them, and because they had threatened their friends into getting a copy at the cost of cutting heads!
And these twelve guys had their own autographed copy with a dedication at barely 11pm!!!
Allegra was about to cry. “I don’t know how you did it, but you are my heroes. This evening, in your honor, the appetizers are on the house! Meat or fish? Or we could serve a mix of both, if you prefer.”
“Both will do just fine,” Max said. “You have your famous mineral water?”
“Fresh from the bank’s offices unused bottles. You’re twice lucky!”
The group sat down, Antares and Aldebaran first, at the end of the table, facing each other. Then, on Antares’ side sat Sasha, Fido, Fox, Mizar and Alcor. On Aldebaran’s side: Peanut, Grape, Felix, Lucky and Max.
“The good news is that I could spend some time in the Gardens, to see how it is behind the propaganda,” said Felix. “Kevin’s cousins live here, they got two cats. Perhaps you know them, their names are Tibbets and Enola.”
“I know them, yes,” Max said “Born and raised on an aircraft carrier, if I remember correctly.”
Felix nodded. “That’s them. Kevin always speaks well of them. He’ll soon be leaving for yet another mission, and who knows how long it’ll be before...” His voice broke. He was happy he had a real parent who took care of him, but it was so unfair they had to be separated for these prolonged periods, not to mention the possibility Felix could lose him…
Grape was about to say something to comfort him, when at that moment four cats came, each carrying a tray overflowing with leftovers... And they did indeed look and smell of the finest quality. Twelve stomachs grumbled.
Allegra served the water from glass bottles. “Bon appetit,” she said. “Anything else I could do for you?” This question was asked to Fox, who hadn’t stopped looking at the waitress.
“Uh? Wut?” The husky shook himself. “Ah, nothing, for now, ah, thank you. Allegra.” He wagged, pronouncing her name.
Grape and Peanut, Alcor and Mizar, exchanged a knowing look. “Follegra, Follegra,” chanted the black twins.
The poor dog reddened deeply, and it didn’t help that Max was grinning like the Cheshire Cat. “Stop it everyone! Please,” he added with a whine. “And what’s with this ‘Follegra’ word?”
Aldebaran indicated Peanut and Grape. “They are Grapenut!” Antares did the same with his housemates. “Malcor!”
“Always hated it,” said the white German Sheperd. “Makes us sound like some evil team.”
Fox ears were still red. “And you folks think that I and that… cat..?”
The big dogs stood up and served their friends, before taking the trays for themselves.
“Weren’t you in touch with the gal, when you were a pup?” asked Max, chewing on his fish.
Fox munched on a piece of roast. “C’mon, I barely remember her, and it was before Felicia…” He sighed. It still hurt so much. “We sort of became strangers.” He sighed again. “But you’re right: she is cute.”
Felix was shaking his head, but he actually looked amused. “This neighborhood is going to be so interesting.”
“But you, and I mean, every one of you,” Fox said with a threatening glare, “won’t say a thing to Bino about this. I am not interested in Allegra, but if he thought otherwise, I wouldn’t hear the end of it. And I’d hate to lose his friendship.”
“One day, man,” said Grape, “you’ll have to explain why you still hang out with him. I mean, you should be friends with Peanut, you two read more than everyone else in this place.”
Again that resigned sigh. “It’s… complicated, but for now let’s not talk about it, ok? And please, don’t say that word again.”
“Follegra, Follegra,” chanted the twins, waving their heads.
“I hate you.”
“I thought you two were accustomed to… less rustic foods,” Alcor said, making a grimace at the sight of his housemates engaged in drinking rather than eating their food.
“Of course we like what Dad gives us,” said Antares.
“But we grew up in our country eating the toughest foods,” Aldebaran continued.
“Our breed is made to withstand the harshest conditions.”
“We do reconnaissance, de-mining, and infiltrate enemy lines to clean up the fields from the guards.”
The twins swelled their chests with pride, while listing those qualities. Max said, “That would explain your... transformation at the parking lot, before.”
Both blushed. “We were to be discarded because they couldn’t keep us apart,” said Aldebaran.
“According to the book, every SFA soldier must have one and only one dog with him, because both form a single fighting unit. They are one, there is no room either for another human or another dog soldier,” Antares added, in their habit of completing each other’s sentences.
“It was us who formed a perfect fighting unit.”
“It wasn’t good.”
“Not at all.”
“They tried to separate us.”
“Without success.”
“We were to be discarded.”
“Then Dad came.”
Antares and Aldebaran giggled. The first said, “You should have seen him.”
“He spoke with such vehemence that the interpreter with him refused to translate certain words...”
“In the end he obtained permission to visit us to know us better.”
“He also learned a bit of Ukrainian.”
“Not that he needed it.” Both dogs sighed.
“Every time he came to visit, we all were so comfortable.”
“As if we had always lived with him.”
“He was very sweet.”
“He made us feel protected.”
“He still does.”
“So true!”
The twins went back to eating. The other felt their heads spinning, after following that intense vocal tennis match. “So, Princess,” Felix said with a mischievous grin, so similar to Max’s. “What are your plans to cause chaos and mischief hereabouts... And why are you looking at me like that, now?”
Am I a troublemakers magnet? The cat thought, then said, “Right now, you just put yourself on the Gardens’ top police dog black list.” She indicated Fido, sitting in front of her.
Felix facedesked. “Kill me.”
“Ah, don’t be a wuss,” said Fido. “She’s just teasing you.”
Felix raised his head. “Really..?”
Fido downed a mouthful of cod. “Rivalry between cats, dogs and other pets is physiological, it can’t be just smothered. We at the K9U make sure certain boundaries remain untouched, but mischief is allowed. Ask Max, he’s our local expert.”
Max stood up for a moment, then bowed deeply. “You do me too much honor, Captain Mutt.”
“And these ‘boundaries’ would be..?” Felix asked, suspiciously.
“Once I showed Fido a cartoon by a human author named Quino,” said Fox.
“So?”
“In the cartoon there is this square full of people,” Fox went on. “They’re all nervous, frightened, no matter what they are doing. Everyone is watching this big sign the cops are hanging at the center of the square. And the sign reads ‘Guess what is forbidden’. Got it?”
“Oh.” Felix downed a mouthful of meat. “So, Princess,” he said. “How many other… funny couples like the present company are here at the Gardens?”
“Eighteen we know of. It was a surprise for me as well, to discover that this place is really open-minded, other than pet-friendly.”
“Call me a troglodyte, then, but that’s not my swing. No offense, Peanut, your ‘girlfriend’ should have most proper suitors... And why are you all laughing, now?”
All of the diners had burst out in a collective, roaring laughter. Peanut and Grape were holding each other, cheeks wet with tears.
Felix didn’t get it. Grape wiped her eyes and said, “Oh, poor thing. You’re SO gonna be tested, in your new house.”
Felix felt a bit worried now.
“Tibbets and Enola’s mates are canines,” said Max. “And yes, I too looked as stricken as you. Didn’t imagine I could look so funny as well.”
Again, Felix repeatedly slammed his head on the table. “Karma hates me.”

The group left the restaurant just as the other customers were pouring in. Because of the event, many pets too excited to go to sleep had been allowed to stay up late. At least, morning time promised to be very quiet.
Everyone was talking about the book. Grape thought that it had been barely mentioned by her group, and yet this had been one of her best hangouts ever. She promised herself she would repeat it.
Parting from her friend, Grape kissed Max’s cheek. “You were right. It has been a great night.”
Max sighed. “You can’t do without me, Princess,” he said, holding her paws. Despite his own promise to let her go, to accept he had lost her, his true feelings were still there. And he knew his aquamarine eyes were showing them.
Grape lowered her ears. Only Lucky and Felix can call me that, just like only I get to call you ‘Maxie’.” Then she smiled, “See you tomorrow?”
“Bet on it.” The black cat returned the kiss. “Good night!”
Sasha was really drowsy. Fido took her on his back and walked home. Fox said his farewells and left for his place.
The Foster pets, Peanut, and the Three Musketeers left for Overview Grove. Grape was keeping an arm on each shoulder of her old friends. “Remember when we helped that ol’ hound to find a mate? Bones?”
Lucky and Felix nodded. Grape chuckled. “Maxie needs to find a girlfriend. And Fox too.” She winked
“Musketeers to the rescue once again, then,” said Felix. “Don’t you dare start without me, you two, okay?”
“Can’t wait to have you around, tiger,” she said.
---
“Wow! When you said your Dad is rich, you meant it!” Felix said at the sight of Foster Mansion. “Do you think he’d adopt me too?”
“You’re not the first to ask” said Grape. “Come, I think Peanut would like a game of ‘Defenders of the Pridelands’. Right, mutt..? “She turned… and saw him sleeping soundly, all slumped against Aldebaran’s back.
“Too many emotions in one day, I suppose,” said Alcor, and yawned in turn.
The animals entered the property driveway. “Tomorrow, we’ll introduce you to the wolf cubs,” suggested Mizar
“Wolves!?” Felix found the energy to be once again amazed. “Wolves live in this neighborhood?”
“Oh, yes,” said Alcor. “And you still must meet the Milton ferrets, and then there’s this psychic Pomeranian, and...”

SEASON I
Episode 8
Fin