The Car Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Alastair

What's Your Favorite Car?

Post by Alastair »

Hey everyone. I know I can't be the only car guy on here, so I thought it would be cool if everyone shared their thoughts about what kind of car they like.

MY FAVORITE - Subaru Impreza WRX STI...
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
angrehguy

Re: What's Your Favorite Car?

Post by angrehguy »

I personally really like the old 1970's camaros
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

I generally like Lamborghini, but if I must choose concrete it will be Gallardo Superleggera.

But also old American cars are cool.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
redmarker97

Post by redmarker97 »

I'm not much of a Car guy; but I'm quite partial to the Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR.

But, for cars that aren't a total -censored- to handle, I'm for either the Dodge Challenger, Dodge Charger, and Ford Shelby GT500.

(All of 'em the 2011 models.)
Psykeout wrote:
redmarker97 wrote:WMD's.
Waterballoons of Mass Drenching.
Echo of Eden(Over XBL): "3 Kill Streak! Ford Pinto is read for combat!"
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

my favorite is the prowler! :3
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote:Hey everyone. I know I can't be the only car guy on here, so I thought it would be cool if everyone shared their thoughts about what kind of car they like.

MY FAVORITE - Subaru Impreza WRX STI...
Your not the only car guy here! Yay! I can talk about cars! I happen make my living off them! Im a mechanic for a Subaru dealer! (Also Ford/Lincoln/Mercury)

The WRX STI is over rated by the way (in my opinion at least). Stock, the car is suprisingly slow. First gear is amazing, second gear is good, and from third gear on, there is really nothing to cheer about. The plain WRX is actually geared better, it actually seems faster as a result. The STI has a 6 speed, and the WRX has a 5 speed. Though when modified correctly the STI does RIP IT UP!!!!

My Favorite car is a 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 cu Super Duty I prefer a white one with a blue/black accents. I plan on restoring one in my future!

Not my picture but here is what it looks like.

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I'm not much of a car guy myself. Still, there's 1 car that I like a fair amount. Vauxall Astra. :D

Sure, it's not sports car. I just find the design of it to be quite cool.
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc »

At the moment I like the old USSR/Communist block cars. No idea why just, they just look nice.
I'm a brony now, Bronies are cool - Doctor Whooves =3
Retinq

Post by Retinq »

A good car is as simple as possible built from the best available materials. New cars are over-complicated. This raises production costs, what they try to balance with poor quality.
Complicated electric circuits make them difficult to repair. I prefer to fix things by myself, because it's cheaper and faster than calling someone, what also hurts my dignity.
ABS,ASR,etc. can be more problematic than beneficial when you drive on snow or dirt.
Electric window, seats... WTF is with people and these useless stuff?
Computer controlled...everything? Blargh.

My favourites are:

Lada 2105 "Riva"
Very strong chassis, sturdy engine. Don't worry about bumps, they are less dangerous for your car now, parts are cheap,anyway. :3
Cheap, easy to fix, etc.

Mercedes Unimog
The ultimate off-roader/workhorse. It has got more available accessories than a Barbie doll.

Caterham. The best sportscar. No useless shinies, amazing acceleration, pure fun.

VW bug, VW transporter
The best suspension, very good engine, but they say the gearbox isn't too good.
21,5 million VW Bugs were produced!

Alfa romeo 33 Stradale. <3 Wow.

Zil Screw drive FTW! :lol: (I Want a "Screwcar"!)

--
If i had to choose, I'd choose the... I don't know :|
Actually, its RETINQ. See, Retinq. Q.

Post by YingBlanc »

-hi 5 for the Lada Riva- Commi Cars For The Win :lol:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I'm a big fan of the 2009 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Concept car. It was the vehicle used for Sideswipe in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

And on that note, I love the new Camaro too! :D
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Volvo, it is Swedish, it is where my dad works, it is the reason I am in America, though I hate cars truly. But it wins on default for the one I hate least. .-.
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

I wish that the United States got better cars from overseas, such as Holden, Vauxhall, Caterham, ect...

Euro cars are soooo expensive, though luxurious, there are no real eco-cars from europe here in America. If you say Mercedes, you automaticly think of pure luxury and money. Its funny, because in Europe, I hear they use low end Mercedes as taxis!

Over here, they use Ford Crown Victorias as taxis in New York City, though now they are switching to Toyota Camry hybrids, Ford Escape Hybrids, Toyota Sienna Minivans... I guess gas prices would do that... More fuel efficient, and better for the earth with less emissions as the 8 cylinders that are in the Crown Victoria.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

MY FAVORITE - Subaru Impreza WRX STI...[/quote] Shho13

Your not the only car guy here! Yay! I can talk about cars! I happen make my living off them! Im a mechanic for a Subaru dealer! (Also Ford/Lincoln/Mercury)

The WRX STI is over rated by the way (in my opinion at least). Stock, the car is suprisingly slow. First gear is amazing, second gear is good, and from third gear on, there is really nothing to cheer about. The plain WRX is actually geared better, it actually seems faster as a result. The STI has a 6 speed, and the WRX has a 5 speed. Though when modified correctly the STI does RIP IT UP!!!!

My Favorite car is a 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455 cu Super Duty I prefer a white one with a blue/black accents. I plan on restoring one in my future!
------------------------------

Yeah, man, you are quite right about the WRX. That's actually what I would like to get, and with a few thousand dollars of modifications you can make it wicked fast. The new ones look like the STI anyway, so the WRX is probably the better deal. They're both awesome though.
Oh, and old Pontiacs are sweet... Hope the rebuild goes well.

I like a lot of cars really, not just one. If I had the money I would get me something like an Aston Martin or Lamborghini. I really do love Japanese cars though.... :mrgreen: GTR's, Z's, NSX's, Supra's, RX-7's, etc....

Oh, and this is also one of the best cars ever.... KOENIGSEGG....

Scandinavia rocks.

Mod Edit: In the upper-right corner of each post is an edit button. If you need to add more information and someone else has not yet replied, please use that instead of double-posting. Thanks!
Last edited by Dissension on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged Double Post
------------------

YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc »

If I was rich I'd go for something classy but fast like a Merc or a Audi
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote: Oh, and old Pontiacs are sweet... Hope the rebuild goes well.

I like a lot of cars really, not just one. If I had the money I would get me something like an Aston Martin or Lamborghini. I really do love Japanese cars though.... :mrgreen: GTR's, Z's, NSX's, Supra's, RX-7's, etc....

Oh, and this is also one of the best cars ever.... KOENIGSEGG....
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Japanese cars are awesome. Though I don't like Honda Civics, not because of the car, because of the steriotyped driver that thinks their stock Civic from around 1993 is fast and a racecar. They always seem to have holes in the exhaust, or a big goofy muffler, has different colored body panals, and sounds like a swarm of angry bumble bees passing you on the highway! That's always funny to hear/see.

I would have to say that the McLaren F1 GTR is my favorite super car. Also, the new McLaren MP4 is beautyful.

I love my car too! A 2006 Subaru Impreza (not WRX or STI...Im not rich!). Ill post pictures of it eventually. I have pictures, but I want a current one to show everyone. We have had bad weather the last coupple weeks, April showers bring May flowers I suppose.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I actually own an Outback, and love it a lot. I've put some extras in it as well,(new stereo, exhaust, high performance air filter, drill/slotted brake rotors with ceramic pads) but the car is getting old so I may have to do further upgrades on it to keep it up. Hoping to get new suspension mods soon...

Mclaren's are one of my favorite cars too. I have many memories about playing Need for Speed driving a Mclaren. The new ones are indeed beautiful... :mrgreen:

Love to see your Impreza...
Attachments
d0ce9bde54fc42f7bffb2e53e62c3f45.jpg
d0ce9bde54fc42f7bffb2e53e62c3f45.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 33704 times
------------------

Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

Here is an old picture of my car from two years ago.

I would rather put up a newer picture of my car, I just couldn't resist posting this picture. This is one of my favorites. Taken atop a parking garage, with the color-changing leaves in the backround, and the American flag. I took this picture with my moms really expensive camera, it was state of the art at the time.

The car looks exactly the same now, though I have since put foglights on it and also this protective plastic coating around the doors. I think it looks X 100 better with the foglights on it.

My car is now covered in dirt because its been raining like crazy the last couple days, and I dont feel like washing it now, because it is gonna thunder storm again tonight. Ill post pictures soon. I promice. My car is no Ferarri, but I take pride in ownership. I pay a bucket of money for it each month, and Im darn proud to show it off. Its my baby!

I have another awesome picture of my car taken right on the bay in southern NJ, with the setting sun in the backround. Although that is on my uncle's computer. I was on vacation at the time, and I didn't get a chance to transfer it. This picture is old as well, taken in August of the same year as this picture, 2009. I want to see a pic of your Outback, TougeFox. Just make sure you block out the licence plate like I did... I just used MS paint!
Last edited by Shho13 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Moskvich 412. Soviet car. I believe it was made at the end of the 60'

Enough said.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc »

-hi 5 for the Moskvich 412- I was checking egyption second hand car thingy online to see what there is :P
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

to: shho13 Man, that is sharp. I like that year a whole lot as well as the new ones. I'll try to get a good picture of mine and put it up. Mine has actually been in the shop for some time. :cry: Think it's the headgaskets, but not sure. Older models had that problem, and mines a '99. Still though, it is my beloved car.
------------------

Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

Thanks man, im glad you like my car. This is also my favorite body style for the Impreza. I take great care of it. I only had to do a coupple things to it, front and rear brakes, an alternator, and tires. All of which are crazy cheap because I get employee pricing on all parts! Front and rear pads together were $140 bucks, I installed them, alternator was 200, I installed it, tires were 450, and I installed them. Of course oil changes, and all services such as trans services, and spark plugs, ect. My car has 71,000 miles on it, and its going strong (knock on wood).

Yeah, the subaru H4 engines are very prone to headgasket failure at around 100k miles. Especially the EJ25 engine. Another common problem is valve cover gaskets! I see it all the time, though im not certified to do them.

I hope you get your car back soon. The 99 outbacks are great cars. Tons of them come into the shop, needing only an oil change. I can't wait to see yours!

The new subarus don't impress me as much as the older ones, ever since Toyota bought out GM's 10% ownership, they have changed. New Imprezas look like corolas, the legacy looks like a camery, the outback looks like the venza, and so on.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Yeah, employee discounts are the bomb. You have my dream job, by the way... I really like the new Subaru's, and I can see the Toyota resemblance, but they're still different for sure. Your car's practically new...
Mine has over 220,000 miles on it! :lol: Wish mine had 70,000 miles.
My car still looks good, which is a plus. Every other Subaru in my area that isn't new looks like a clunker. I should have my car back by the end of the week, and once I get it all shiny I'll take some pics. :mrgreen:

We actually had to put a new engine in it at around 195,000 miles which was odd, because we take REALLY good care of our cars. We bought it used so it might have had some underlying problems... We thought the new engine had around 40,000 on it, but the most recent deal with it makes us think differently.
------------------

Zander

Post by Zander »

nuf'
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

My favorite, you ask?

199x Nissan UD chassis with a remounted Braun patient module.

As for what I drive, it's a 2001 Hyundai Sonata that needs a new motor before too long. Am looking into other alternatives, maybe.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

TougeFoxJ.D.M. wrote:Yeah, employee discounts are the bomb. You have my dream job, by the way... I really like the new Subaru's, and I can see the Toyota resemblance, but they're still different for sure. Your car's practically new...
Mine has over 220,000 miles on it! :lol: Wish mine had 70,000 miles.
My car still looks good, which is a plus. Every other Subaru in my area that isn't new looks like a clunker. I should have my car back by the end of the week, and once I get it all shiny I'll take some pics. :mrgreen:

We actually had to put a new engine in it at around 195,000 miles which was odd, because we take REALLY good care of our cars. We bought it used so it might have had some underlying problems... We thought the new engine had around 40,000 on it, but the most recent deal with it makes us think differently.
Aw man, TougeFox, being a mechanic is just like any other job. Its no dream job, trust me. There is so much I have to learn, and tons and tons of tools I gotta buy... And the buisness is all politics. You cant be dishonest, or customers wont come back, though you have to make them buy stuff so that I can get paid. If a car comes in for an oil change, I would get six minutes put onto my paycheck, even if it takes me 30 minutes to complete, I lose the rest of the time, and dont get paid for it. This is called "flat rate"

Lets say a Subaru comes in with 34,000 miles on it, and it never had anything on it done but oil changes. I would first check all the components on the car, and reccomend to have the things serviced that it needs. (If I were to reccomend a transmission service, I get paid for an hour of labor for the transmission service if the customer agrees to have it done). This time adds up, considering that just the oil change and the inspection takes at least 40 minutes to complete, I dont make any hours or time on just an oil change. Now, the more stuff I reccomend, and the customer agrees to have done on their car, is what I would get paid on.

If I stay in the shop, and technicly "work" for 8 hours, it is possible to not get paid for that 8 hours, because I get paid by the job. If I did 8 oil changes on that day with no upsells, then I would only get paid for 48 minutes, because an oil change only pays me 6 minutes, to keep the price low for the customer. Labor is about $80 an hour for the customer.

This is just a brief explination of how my job works, and how its not a real "dream" job. There is its advantages to being paid flat rate, I can work for 40 hours and get paid 60, becuase of upsells. On the other side, I can work 40 hours and only get paid for 17. This is why everyone thinks mechanics are dishonest. If you dont upsell, you dont get paid!

A 99 Outback with that amount of milage is not uncommon! Those things are workhorses! Ive seen some different model Subarus with 300,000 or more on them. (The highest milage I ever saw with my own eyes was a 2003 Lincoln Town Car, with 450,649 miles on it. It was a limo, and it came in for just an oil change. I was in awe when I started it! I remember the milage because I took a picture of it!)

There are tons and tons of components in an engine, it would be impossible to keep it running forever without something in there breaking. If you replaced the engine in your car at 195,000 miles, you can say that you got your money out of that car. That is tons less than a penny a mile if the car was bought for $25,000. If your headgastet went after a short amount of time, its probibly because where you had the engine replaced didnt put in this special chemical subaru reccomends. its in a tiny blue bottle. Im not saying they didnt, but hey, its a possibility!

Im curious how your car looks after all thome miles, TougeFox! I really cant wait to see some pics man! I love seeing a Subaru with tons of miles on it, they are ment to be driven!

Oh man, I went all over the place in this post! Sorry guys, I can just go on and on about cars...
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Yeah, cars are great. I will try my best to get a picture up on this topic. It maybe next week sometime though, because I have to get it back from the garage and clean it up. I'll probably post more than one 'cause I want to show the exhaust and stuff.

Everyone on this topic has awesome choices in cars, but this is one more that can be added....

Aston Martin!!! Oh yeah!!!
Attachments
Aston-Martin-DBS-1.jpg
Aston-Martin-DBS-1.jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 33619 times
------------------

Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

I love Aston Marins.. Though they have notoriously bad transmissions. There are quite a bunch of exotic cars around where I work. There is a place that fixes these kind of cars exclusively. I see Ferrarri Californias, Lamborgini Countachs, Mercelagos, Ferrarri Testerosas, ect, all the time! The best was when a Beautyful Ferrarri red 1991 Testerosa came into my shop and we all got to admire the beautyful lines on the car. I got to put air in the tires! Yay!

There is a brand new WRX across from my bay at work right now... I must fight the urge to drive it around the block... ugh......
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

Salen S7
They go REALLY FAST!!!
and look awesome
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

2009 Crossfox <3
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Oh man, why would you put me on the spot like this and ask me what my "favorite" car is?! Let's see... My shopping list includes:
'69 Charger
'70 GTX
'71 Demon
'36 Mercedes G4
'39 Mercedes 540k
'02 Lotus Esprit
etc

Also, shho, one of my upcoming projects is and '81 Trans Am Turbo, silver with the blue accents. Very similar to your '73. 8-) I also plan on swapping the 301 for a 455.

Here's my '92.
Attachments
firebird 1.jpg
firebird 1.jpg (77.55 KiB) Viewed 33566 times
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

Cory wrote:Oh man, why would you put me on the spot like this and ask me what my "favorite" car is?! Let's see... My shopping list includes:
'69 Charger
'70 GTX
'71 Demon
'36 Mercedes G4
'39 Mercedes 540k
'02 Lotus Esprit
etc

Also, shho, one of my upcoming projects is and '81 Trans Am Turbo, silver with the blue accents. Very similar to your '73. 8-) I also plan on swapping the 301 for a 455.

Here's my '92.
I like your list, Cory... Very impressive. Though I personally would rather have the James Bond Esprit. Movie chase scenes for the win!

I like the color of your car by the way... It must be a joy to drive in the summer with the t tops off! Also, nice M95 sniper rifle.

Those 301 turbos were really whimpy... Kinda depressing actually. All the emission controls ruined the name that was the Trans Am in the late 70s, early to late 80s. What I find funny is that the size of the engine (301 or 4.9 L) is bigger than almost all of todays V8s, (it also has a turbo on it) Aparently, the rated horsepower is 210, while the new 2010 Mustang with a smaller, more fuel efficient, and better on the environment 4.6 L engine has 350 horsepower!

If you plan on getting a 455, make sure you get one from before the mid 70s, because of the rediculous loss of power due to the emission control stuff... Those 455s can rip a house out of its foundation they have so much torque. There is something about the sound of a cammed 455 that makes me want one so bad, despite that it uses more gas than a commercial air jet!
Cory

Post by Cory »

The rifle isn't mine, was just sighting it in for a guy. Didn't get to keep it :cry:

I agree with what you say about the 301 being wimpy. However, I did do a bit of research, and people were getting the 301 turbos up to around 300hp by disabling the smog equipment (illegal in most places, luckily not where I live), tuning the actuator on the turbo unit, exhaust upgrades, and better air filters. But still, 300 horses is still a bit sluggish for a car so heavy. Heck, 300 horses is a bit sluggish in my 92, and it's much lighter! Any more power than that, and you're risking a blown motor, because the block is pretty thin and flimsy. It deserves a big block.
But this project is years down the road. It basically needs a ground up resto, and I'm poor lol (needless to say, my shopping list is purely wishful thinking ;) )
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

That is still awesome! The M95 is a cannon!

Anyway, eh, its all good, projects are supposed to take years to do... Also tons and tons of money. Engines dont cost that much, you can even get a Corvette LS1 for about 6 thousand bucks! That engine is pretty good too I might add... Its under rated, it has way more horsepower than the 350 horsepower it is rated at, they said it had that much for insurance reasons... The 301 can be good, but I factor in the price of what has to be done to it to make it the real deal. The true benefit to having a 301, is that the engine is smaller, thus the pistons are smaller, and lighter. You can make that engine rev up to 10,000 RPMS or higher if you build it correctly, reinforce the block, balanced crankshaft, ect... Thats the cool part about the smaller V8s... They are all cool, big block, small block, ah! They are all still powerhouses!

Only downside is gas mileage... Im very happy with my gas mileage my car puts up! (I can go almost two weeks on one fillup depending on how much I drive). Dispicably, It was $ 3.77 for regular unleaded gas today as I drove by my favorite Sunoco station. ugh. I know that gas is cheaper here in Jersey than other places, but its still expensive!

One of the guys at work has a fully restored 1956 Chevy Bel Air! Complete with a 350 small block, and a four speed. He restored this thing in the 80s, and it still looks amazing. Cherry red, white wall tires... Makes me jealous. I want one!
Retinq

Post by Retinq »

UAZ 452.
UAZ452!
Actually, its RETINQ. See, Retinq. Q.

Post by Alastair »

Boom! Winnage!

Lamborghini Murcielago R-GT
Attachments
lamborghini.jpg
lamborghini.jpg (44.8 KiB) Viewed 33505 times
------------------

Challenger01

Post by Challenger01 »

This is my ride, 1968 Mustang, 427 under the hood.
I'm going to go to a Furry Convention wearing a shirt that says "I'm a Furry. All I do I Pawrty" Please tell me you get that joke.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Favorite vehicle I OWN:

Favorite I have driven:

Deuce and a half. Drove it while my dad was testing a new oil filter system. Prolly the most fun I've ever had behind the wheel.

AAR 'Cuda. My mom's boyfriend has 3 (not AARs, specifically. that'd be nuts ._.). I haven't gotten to drive the 440 yet :lol: . Probably the second greatest time behind the wheel...
Cory

Post by Cory »

^Add that Baracuda to my list ;)
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

[quote="yoyodude"]Favorite vehicle I OWN:

Dude, you own an Outback too? Right on. I'll post pics of my '99 soon.

And that Cuda is awesome! :D
------------------