Housepets! Spirit Games

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

RenFox

Housepets! Spirit Games

Post by RenFox »

So here it goes. Not sure how much I'll be able to update this, but I had to get it out of my head. Tell me what you think.

-----------------------------------------------

Housepets! : Spirit Games

Everyone can make mistakes. Men and animals alike will fall to their deeds, done for good or ill. The same can be said of Spirits, or so it would seem, given the events that surround a little place in one corner of a simple portion of the multi-verse. This place, called Babylon Gardens, is currently watched over by three powerful spirits, who play a game with the inhabitants for their own ends.

In a space outside of space, those three spirits take a recognizable form, though enormous to mortal eyes, around a great table. Littered with what can only representations of concepts we could not possibly understand (but that here look like empty packets of junk food, soda bottles, and other rubbish), never-the-less there can be seen a great map of the Gardens themselves. Many books and dice litter the board, along with miniatures and character sheets for its inhabitants (or at least those of consequence.)

At the head of the table is a softly golden fox with many tails, each slowly waving into the vastness of space behind him. His current expression is bored detachment as he softly makes a number of rolls behind the screen before him. To one side, talking at (rather than TO, for there is a rather large difference) is a great green serpentine dragon, who seems annoyed at the flippant attitude the game master is taking. On the other side, nearly asleep, sits a griffin, slumped in his chair in an exhausted manner.

With the stage set, we listen in:

“All I want to know is why we haven't returned this place to normal.” The dragon spoke in a tactful tone.

The fox didn't even bother to look up. “Because it'll snap back into place shortly, without us doing anything anyway. I takes way too much energy to re-mold the perspective of a plane of existence.” He waved a vague paw at the griffin. “Do you really want to end up as exhausted as Pete over there?”

Pete tilted his head and spoke without opening his eyes. “Yes, because we all know that pulling a mortal in and molding all these concepts so that his brain doesn't explode is much less taxing than pushing it back into shape.” He slumped into the chair further. “Just admit that you're too lazy to do it, GK.”

GK looked up from his screen and stuck out his tongue. “I'm not being lazy. I just have a bunch of important note keeping to do.”

“Can we please not argue, and just snap things back? I've got a bad feeling about this, and it's not like I'm in control of the game right now.” The dragon implored.

Were they not otherwise occupied, GK and Pete would have probably listened. She had a knack for being right. Pete had brought a mortal to a higher plane, and no one knew for sure what might happen. Spirits are bound by laws just like anything else, and loopholes are easy to exploit. What happened next might be best exemplified by the phrase: “No good deed goes unpunished.”

“Sure, sure, important notes.” Pete offered up a weak chuckle. “Probably just min-maxing yourself up a super-strong avatar to knock us back in line.”

Were it possible for GK to become any redder, he probably would have. Were that the case, it would be hard to tell if it was due to anger or shame. “Look, I don't care what you say, I'm not...”

Exactly what he was going to say he was not (Which was “abusing the rules.” if you must know) was cut off by another voice.

“What are you kids doing down here?”

All three spirits turned at the sound of a new voice in their sanctum. It's owner was a much larger spirit, molded in the shape of a dog of no particular species. His fur was the color of bright gold, wavering to almost pure white as he stood. He looked them over with eyes that were a shade of gold that had just touched the furnace, deep and flickering with life. In contrast, a pendent in the shape of the greek character Alpha, made of onyx, hovered over his chest.

“Your mother and I have been looking everywhere for you! You've got chores to be doing, universes to clean, and where do I find you but goofing off in your own little playground.” He said with mock seriousness.

GK recovered first. “But dad! We're having fun! Why can't we...” He adopted a puzzled expression. “Why am I calling you dad? Spirits have a much more complex relationships than that. It doesn't even make sense!”

Their father responded with a sly wink towards the monitor. “Because we have to make sure the readers understand what's happening, to some extent. Besides, you brought it on yourselves, dropping this place down to mortal levels of comprehension. Made it really easy to pull this trick off, where I get to exercise my authority over you very freely.” He gave a cheery smile. “A little hard work will make you appreciate the loop-holes in laws that can let stuff like what I'm doing now happen.” His face became very serious almost instantly. “What if it hadn't been me to come over here? What if something much, much worse got control over your power?”

The three had the grace to look mortified.

Father's face was all smiles again. “Now chop chop! We've got plenty of creating, destroying, cleaning, and management to do.”

All were mutinous, but only GK had the lack of sense to argue with his father. “Dad! Can't we just finish this up...?”

His father cut him off before he could say anymore. “I said we are moving young man! Do I need to get your mother in here?”

GK shut his mouth, a look of perplexed fear on his muzzle. (Which is difficult to do, much less describe accurately.)

“Everything good? Lets march then!”

Father stood near a door (or at least the concept of a door) that had appeared. All three filed through it, Pete first, with a huge yawn. He was followed by GK, who was busy grumbling under his breath. Last came the dragon, who gave a long look back at the table. Her eyes gave a subtle green flash, then returned to normal.

“Something wrong Dra?” Father asked.

“Nothing, daddy. I was just... thinking.” Dra looked up at him.

“Well, whatever it is, you can fix it later.” He placed a hand behind her and guided her into the darkness of the door.

With a final turn, the brilliant dog pulled the door near closed. At the last moment, he stuck his head out, wearing a sly smile. “Just be glad we aren't anywhere near your corner of the multi-verse, hmm? I'd sit back and watch the show.”

In the place known as Babylon Gardens, in one house, there was a small, golden pomeranian. From her collar hung the eye of Ra, perhaps a symbol of her mystic destiny. She was fast asleep, laying curled on the cushions of a couch, when she was jolted awake. She sat up and her eyes flew open, flooded with a brilliant green light. In a moment, the light faded to a gentle green that she was familiar with. The spirits had contacted her.

In the moment that it took for her to understand, her jaw went slack. The green light pulsed once, then crackled and faded away. Her eyes, for the first time in so long, felt truly without light in the darkness of the room.

“This is very bad.”

----------------------------------------------------

There's part 1 then. How was it? Horrible? Should I jump off a pier and never come back?
Last edited by RenFox on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: Housepets! Spirit Games

Post by copper »

Actually, this is really good Renfox. Best first post I have ever seen. You should keep this up. I want to know what happens next.

And it is far better than anything I could write. I like the fourth wall breaks too.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Hopper200456

Post by Hopper200456 »

Okay, first thing, do not jump of a pier. That doesn't solve anything. Trust me.
One a more realistic note,
I liked this "First Chapter"!
I loved the:
A) Forth wall breaking :D
and
B) Their "father."

I say that it'd be cool to see you continue!
But, whatever works with your life. :D
http://hopper200456.deviantart.com/

"I already fixed it, and you are not coming back."
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

what a great first update seriously! I love how well your descriptions are written
I love the whole concept I'm a particular fan of the multi-verse! :geek: I have a feeling this is going to be a epic fic once the ball gets rolling.

and Grats on your first post what an amazing first post! - I wish mine could've been one half as good as yours :)
OH and welcome to the Housepets forum! I'm sure you like it here!
The Moon Howler

Post by The Moon Howler »

Nicely done, RenFox. I am anxious for the next part
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

Housepets: Silver the Cat! fanfic

My RP Characters
valerio

Post by valerio »

This is surely a mostly interesting beginning. I like that for once the attention is focused on the Cosmic Nerds. Can't wait for more!
The Moon Howler

Post by The Moon Howler »

Comic nerds?
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

Housepets: Silver the Cat! fanfic

My RP Characters
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Spirit Games? Hmmm, sounds exciting.
Please don't jump of a pier, that just bad, m'kay.
Good chapter there, RenFox.
RenFox

Post by RenFox »

The plot bunnies, I can't get them out of my brain! I've taken down way too many notes for this story already.
I'm glad people liked the first part, it makes me very happy to have people think something I wrote is good.

I'll put a warning on this though, this fic is a bit darker than your average fic for Housepets, I think. In some parts anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------

Spirit Games : Chapter 2 - Spirits Fading

The small pomeranian known as Tarot was occupying herself by pacing around the room. Every so often, she would let he eyes go blank, seeming to look beyond the mortal realm. Each passing try left her more haunted than before. The spirits, her spirit, had been silent, ever since she was awoken early in the morning.

It was a cold feeling to be cut off from a source of power to which she had become so accustomed. Being unable to call on the other world, being without guidance, made her want to curl up on the couch and cry. Worse still were the words of the last message she had received, burned into her brain, her soul. She wanted to talk to someone, to Sabrina, her disciple, about what the words meant.

Most of her though, wanted to be with Peanut. She spared herself a small smile, despite her worry. The lovable pup had enough hope for the both of them. He would just wrap her up tight in his arms, and she would feel safe. It didn't matter what anything meant if she was there. Her smile slipped away. She had wanted to leave almost instantly to find someone when she awoke. Unfortunately, early (or very early) morning visits are most often frowned upon, and so she was forced to wait hours. Slow, mind churning hours.

By the time the sun began to rise, Tarot had subsided into a fitful doze. Daylight awoke her from dreams that she could scarcely hope were visions, before she bolted upright for the second time in a day. Leaping for the door, the small dog paused only to throw on a scarf, before plunging into the frigid morning air.

The pomeranian paused at the sidewalk, giving a thought to just where she should go. It was a strange experience not being able to ask where she should head to. Being linked to an (almost) all knowing spirit could do that to you. She tilted her head in concentration, the eye of Ra glinting in the early morning light. While her heart ached to see Peanut, her mind told her that it was for the best to try to find Sabrina.

A destination in mind, Tarot began walking. A nearly unrecognizable emotion crept up on her. She pushed it away. Another block, and it returned. So it went until she was halfway there, when she realized what it was. Fear. She was scared for the first time that she could remember. The Dragon was always there to calm her, to support. The feeling surged forward at her doubt. It pressed on her, smothered her heart, made the little dog almost cry out.

Before she was even sure of what was happening, other alien thoughts pushed at her. No, not thoughts, images, feelings. Her head began to ache. The image of a small tan dog, curled in a corner, cowering in fear flashed into her mind. No words, but the message was clear: “Why am I out here? I need to safe.” Another image, now of the same dog snarling. “You're not supposed to be here! Leave!”

Tarot could barely stifle a gasp as she realized what was happening. Her headache worsened. She was running forward blindly now.

“No, no, please no.” She gasped out despite herself. “I don't want to go. There's too much here worth staying for.”

She stumbled to the sidewalk, her whole body nearly shaking. So consumed was she, that the slow crunch of frozen grass under paw did not register at all.

“Whoa, Tarot, what's going on?”

Tarot turned her head towards the voice so quickly, that the other dog was momentarily taken aback (And, in fact, took a step backward). Her body was shaking, and tears were in her eyes, but she recognized him by the dog tags he wore. Fox.

Her brain latched on to that thought. Fox had called her by name. He remembered her! It was enough to bring her back from the edge. She blinked back her tears.

“Th.. Thank you, Fox.” She managed to get out, despite her shaking.

Fox put on a good natured smile. “I haven't done anything yet. Care to tell me what's going on?”

“It's... complicated. I need to talk to Sabrina.” Tarot forced out. Her eyes lost focus. How much time did she have, really? If she was being effected like this...

“Well, it must be really important to get you at this hour.” The other dog put on a sly smile. “I'm only up to pester King. He's too much fun to try and force out of bed.” He finished with a little laugh.

“You could say that.” The pomeranian tried to smile, but it came out as a grimace. A huge shiver went up her spine, shaking her whole body.

“Regardless, I think we need to get you inside. I don't think that scarf is doing the trick.” Fox said, with a touch of concern.

“Really, I'm fine, I just need to catch my breath. I really need to see Sabrina.”

“I don't think so. We're gonna go inside and heat up something to drink, then you can run off to you're hearts content.” The older dog said in a firm, yet polite tone.

As Fox lifted her onto two paws, Tarot was torn between thanks and annoyance. As he was about to relax his grip, time seemed to stand still.

Many will tell you (mostly hack novelists) that a change to reality would move in a wave, something that you could see overtaking you. Others, (mostly scientists, who, while not hacks, are very boring) would tell you that you would not even know that anything was wrong. It would have simply always been. I will tell you that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The world before Tarot's eyes was lit up like the strobe from a camera, though she felt no need to close them, making her vision bright white. She was looking past Fox, at a house nearby, as the light slowly faded. As it went, the brightness and vibrancy of the world itself went with it, dimming past where it had previously been.

“Err... What's going on?”

Were Tarot's pupils able to shrink to the size of pin-pricks, they would have. She turned to look at Fox, who had a puzzled look on his muzzle. He was staring at his paw around her arm.

She willed him to remember. To not let go. In the end, he did, giving a hint of a frown.

“You're...” He looked like he was trying to remember something. “Tarot... right?”

Tarot felt like she could burst into tears. Things were just as she feared. She steeled herself, body and mind, then took off at a run.

Fox put a paw to his face. Why did he have such a headache? What was he doing outside anyway?

-------------------------------------------

Lots of this has to do with how I view Tarot and her connection to the Spirit Dragon. As I said, it's sort of dark, but needed. Hopefully it will become clearer as chapters go on.

Till later everyone!
~RenFox
Last edited by RenFox on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
loomCAT

Post by loomCAT »

The relationship between Tarot and the Spirit Dragon is something I've speculated about in secret and have intended to use in my own fanfics when I get around to them. I'm looking forward to your interpretation of the two.

Here's to a third chapter and many more to follow, RenFox! ^^
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

HA HA Haaaa! I like it, the idea of Tarot crying! we never seen a fic were she is NOT in full control.
RenFox

Post by RenFox »

@loomCat: I'm glad you liked it! My idea for how Tarot and the Dragon interact (and certainly what they ARE) is... we'll call it interesting, if not complex.

@KizerZin: I agree with the essence (if not the venom) of the statement. I tend to dislike characters that are always in total control of everything.

I also hope I'm not scaring anybody away with this update. There is (as with much fiction) a bit of dark before the light.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Pretty good there, Renfox. Can't wait to see where you take this.

Seems like tarot is in trouble, huh?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

I agree with the fact that the SD and Tarot have some interesting connections here.

This is a first, Tarot's not in complete control of her powers in a fic.