How many years have passed since strip 1?

Discuss the comic here
angelusbr

How many years have passed since strip 1?

Post by angelusbr »

I'm asking this because sometimes the time flow seems a bit off to me. In one strip is autumn and two strips later it's winter. I wo't mind it that much if it's intentional for time to skip unimportant events.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
exranio

Re: How many years have passed since strip 1?

Post by exranio »

They usually follow when the strip was realeased. Seems like three years in sorta real time.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

However, by virtue of being a comic, time does not actually progress.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

I sort of beg to differ, there. Rick HAS stuck to SOMETHING of a timeline and time progression, and certain story elements definitely call for one.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

I think we can just count the amount of Christmas passed. I believe we have seen 3 Christmas, so it must have been at least 3 years since the first strip.

I agree that it probably depend on the date when the strip was released.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Rick has stated that time will not actually progress in this comic; however, I too have noted character development.
But I think we can assume that if any time does actually pass it will be negligible unless we get further word from Rick to the contrary ;)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Aquablast wrote:I think we can just count the amount of Christmas passed. I believe we have seen 3 Christmas, so it must have been at least 3 years since the first strip.

we've seen about 20 christmases on the Simpsons, yet Maggie is still an infant.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I really think the only way to determine how much time has passed (though I agree just going by the comics release date is best) would be to wait for the comic to be over to do a proper timeline or just have Rick tell us.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My assumption based on observations alone:

-Time passes in that events of the past are remembered.
-Time passes in that the seasons change and holidays come and go.
-Time does not pass in that the year becomes later and the characters age.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Characters developed during this time, but we can't see any visible effects of it, so in this meaning time passes very slowly (because there're some changes, so time have to pass a little). Season changes (winter, summer, etc.) are visible so in this meaning it surely passes.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Karl

Post by Karl »

Dissension wrote:However, by virtue of being a comic, time does not actually progress.

I agree with Dissension.

The timeline in comic is cartoonish. Like someone said, seasons come and go away (they are like a bonus for us), but time still stands in one place.

Look on Donald Duck comics for example. So many years passed, there were so many seasons... and yet, their appearance haven't changed. Just like in cartoons :)
I'm a bookworm!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I think, like most comics, the timeline is left up to the MST3K mantra.

Charlie Brown, by virtue of a logical timeline, would be in his mid to late sixties today judging from his age in the first Peanuts strip. Also, the original supporting cast (think Shermy, Patty, Violet) was weeded out character by character and was replaced by characters like Lucy and Schroeder who were initially several years younger than Charlie but then became his peers. How does that work.

In short, don't think about it or you'll go insane.
Image Image
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Yeah, i view these comics also as timeless. art seems to evolve however, and whether Rick wants to call that a age evolution is up to him, but if the characters stay the same for 5 years? Then they are still the same age =P

And i'm to assume also even if there was a birthday party arc, time still won't move forward age-wise, rather it's just a step towards maturity in a way i would say.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

GameCobra wrote:Yeah, i view these comics also as timeless. art seems to evolve however, and whether Rick wants to call that a age evolution is up to him, but if the characters stay the same for 5 years? Then they are still the same age =P
You mean 3 years?
GameCobra wrote:And i'm to assume also even if there was a birthday party arc, time still won't move forward age-wise, rather it's just a step towards maturity in a way i would say.
Yes, I think the characters are just meant to stay at a constant age because it's convenient and there's no reason to break comic tradition. Unless Rick is going to pull some sort of Funky Winkerbean gambit in a couple years.

I just remembered, I had a timeline lying around th WMG thread that perfectly explains Housepets' chronology.
CaptainPea wrote:I have a very complex theory on time travel and how different characters experience time differently- luckily, I was able to sum it up in this simple, easy to follow timeline.
Timeline.png
Image Image
Leitrean

Post by Leitrean »

Technically no time has passed because the housepets universe exists within a continuity bubble or may have a small dose of negative continuity http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... Continuity
This is the first sig i ever made, used Gimp please be nice :3
exranio

Post by exranio »

I dunno it always LOOKED like everyhthing was pregressing normaly. The seasons and holidays switch with ours. The comic seems to have pretty consistant continuity. And there is somewhat of a plot going on. Plus animals don't grow all that after a set point so they don't need to develope.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Leitrean

Post by Leitrean »

exranio wrote:I dunno it always LOOKED like everyhthing was pregressing normaly. The seasons and holidays switch with ours. The comic seems to have pretty consistant continuity. And there is somewhat of a plot going on. Plus animals don't grow all that after a set point so they don't need to develope.
but as far as i have seen (correct me if i'm wrong) no comic even in the same arc has ever referred back to another comic.
ex: "Bino, i don't want you pulling another stunt like you did on fox last year" for a Christmas comic THAT would be continuity.

I think it's the the ARCs have continuity within them but the comic as a whole does not have continuity
This is the first sig i ever made, used Gimp please be nice :3
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Housepets has it's own timeline. Rick addressed this, somewhere. While he may follow the seasons that take place IRL, it's unlikely we will see the pets age and such.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Well all the pets seem fully grown.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They're biologically fully grown, but they still act like children. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Sleet wrote:They're biologically fully grown, but they still act like children. :3
Well the smartest dog out there still has the mindset of a 6 year old, I think.
Koda

Post by Koda »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Aquablast wrote:I think we can just count the amount of Christmas passed. I believe we have seen 3 Christmas, so it must have been at least 3 years since the first strip.

we've seen about 20 christmases on the Simpsons, yet Maggie is still an infant.
Yeah, but when Bart's 30 he'll probably still be in fourth grade.

EDIT: Oh, wow. I'm sorry for a huge bump. Didn't look at dates, I apologize and will try to be more careful in the future.
yuki wrote: It is purpose that created us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us. It is purpose that defines us, purpose that binds us.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I think Gasoline Alley was the first strip where the characters actually grew older each year. I'm eager to be corrected.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The first instance I can remember is when the Wolf Cubs ended up getting older and more buffer. Though I probably am mistaken about that being the first time.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Some time has passed, since Bailey met King, mated, and had their THREE (Three, Peanut!) pups.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Should be about time for Housepets! - BOOK 14 to hit the stands. 8-)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just realized that even if time does pass by at any rate whether its a normal flow or sped up we won't know. When the adult pets age they do not look like they have gotten older. For example Rufus was old and there was clearly no difference between him being old and him being young when he was helping out Max.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nor for the limerick-spouting hermit. Maybe for his flies.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am pretty sure that he somehow transcends time and won't be affected by it. I think no matter what we will always see him as the old, insane, disgusting vagrant who hasn't been told about the wonders of soap and deodorant. XD