Cartoons/Comics/Anime/Manga/Whatever!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Cartoons, Anime, whatever you call em!

Post by Sleet »

I do not watch Cowboy Bebop, but Tank! is amazing.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

full metal alchemist has to be my favorite Anime I have seen.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

K-On is probably my most favourite Anime. It's so moe and funny. |D

The last anime I watched, other than that, is Zero no Tsukaima. It's still nice. |D
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

My favorite anime would have to be

I forgot the name

Oh! I remember now. It was that weird Eureka one. I think it was called that anyway.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Fooly Cooly? Shortest anime series I have ever seen. And the manga was even shorter!
exranio

Post by exranio »

Case Closed/ Detective Conan. Best anime ever.I also like the original Japanese version of Sonic X. Then there's Kieketsu Zorori. That was funny.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

my top 3 are\
Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the north star)
berserk Both manga and anime
and Hajime no Ippo.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

my top 3 are
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Bleach, and Naruto.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Anyone notice that in the latest pokemon series, Team Rocket lost their comic relief role? They seem more serious and actually complete their missions now...and it's weird that giovanni actually trusts Jessie and James to get the Job done now.
Make Pasta not war.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's so weird, but I actually love it. It's more like their original role. They were seriously derailed over the last ten years. It's not good when the main source of conflict in the show is just a group of goofy, incompetent rejects. I've also noticed how they seem to be actually succeeding at things now. Since they're given assignments other than "steal this Pokémon" (which is doomed to fail, since it's a kid's show), they can now actually do things right now.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Apparently they're developing a new Looney Tunes show- from what I've seen I have mixed thoughts but I'm willing to be optimistic. On the one hand, the writing and animation are noticeably more polished than most of what's on TV, and it doesn't feel like it's trying too hard. On the other hand the characters seem to be interpreted slightly different than what I've seen before. Let's just wait and see and hope for the best.

The best I've seen of it is this
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Bugs' voice in that clip was just wrong. should have gotten someone who sounded more like Mel Blanc. Daffy's voice was alright, though.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

CaptainPea wrote: The best I've seen of it is this
"Are you saying this man the president of mexico is batman?!"
I lol'd.
The animation looks good, but I rather preffer the old cartoons.
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

CaptainPea wrote:Apparently they're developing a new Looney Tunes show- from what I've seen I have mixed thoughts but I'm willing to be optimistic. On the one hand, the writing and animation are noticeably more polished than most of what's on TV, and it doesn't feel like it's trying too hard. On the other hand the characters seem to be interpreted slightly different than what I've seen before. Let's just wait and see and hope for the best.

The best I've seen of it is this
That...well, I...

*puts on fez, bow tie, and glasses*

Bugs's voice didn't seem quite right, but Daffy's was very good. I also like the new style of animation, more reminescent of the old cartoons than Loonatics Unleashed but still something that can be set apart. The humor I thought was rather clever, with Daffy's "Bob Jones" line hilarious. Also notably funny was the "Are you saying this man, the president of Mexico...is Batman?" line. Much more clever than a lot of modern cartoons.

*takes off fez, bow tie, and glasses*

Of course, I could be wrong. I did only watch one clip.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well I don't think you're wrong about the voice.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Bugs' voice in that clip was just wrong. should have gotten someone who sounded more like Mel Blanc. Daffy's voice was alright, though.
I agree, Bugs worries me because it looks like they're trying to play him as a straight man, which doesn't work.
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

CaptainPea wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Bugs' voice in that clip was just wrong. should have gotten someone who sounded more like Mel Blanc. Daffy's voice was alright, though.
I agree, Bugs worries me because it looks like they're trying to play him as a straight man, which doesn't work.
well, I'm sure they wouldn't change it that much. He was telling Daffy to lie just to mess with him. He wasn't the straight man, he was being the troll he's always been.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:
well, I'm sure they wouldn't change it that much. He was telling Daffy to lie just to mess with him. He wasn't the straight man, he was being the troll he's always been.
I was referring to this video, in which Bugs appears to be on sleeping pills

But I really appreciate the animation, the fact that it's done by hand and so smoothly goes a long way, but I also really like the drop shadows behind the characters. Fr a second I thought they were animating on cels, which was probably the intention.
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

CaptainPea wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:I agree, Bugs worries me because it looks like they're trying to play him as a straight man, which doesn't work.
I was referring to this video, in which Bugs appears to be on sleeping pills

But I really appreciate the animation, the fact that it's done by hand and so smoothly goes a long way, but I also really like the drop shadows behind the characters. Fr a second I thought they were animating on cels, which was probably the intention.
Okay, that one seems more like he's the straight man. but my main problem is still the grating quality of his new voice.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

He really did seem like the straight main there. But I'm still not worried, because even if it didn't seem exactly like Bugs Bunny, it was still pretty funny. I'll just wait until I see a whole episode to decide.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Bugs sounds a lot like Daffy in that clip. Is it the same voice artist doing them? It is a strange bugs bunny voice.

The cartoon itself was pretty good. It is a lot like the older ones, in my opinion. Don't kill me on that comment, please.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

*Watches Looney Tunes clips*
*Eye twitch*
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 'k

In other news, I'm finding I really enjoy Digimon :D
I'm also wondering how you can take a good show that's already aimed at younger kids and make it fail so hard when you dub it. Honestly :|
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Obbl wrote:*Watches Looney Tunes clips*
*Eye twitch*
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 'k

In other news, I'm finding I really enjoy Digimon :D
I'm also wondering how you can take a good show that's already aimed at younger kids and make it fail so hard when you dub it. Honestly :|
It's what 4kids specializes in. Japanese kids shows have different standards. It's a even worse when it wasn't originally aimed at young kids.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:It's what 4kids specializes in. Japanese kids shows have different standards. It's a even worse when it wasn't originally aimed at young kids.
I'm actually quite aware of that -_-
My sister spent about a month watching Case Closed in her room, and every time I heard Amy's squeaky voice pushing through the wall... *shudder* :lol:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

It's not just the horrible voice casting (although that doesn't help) it's also the useless or confusing censorship. In one piece, Sanji's cigarrette became a lollipop and smoker(now with changed name despite the fact that he wasn't named for his cigars but for his ability to turn into smoke) talked with his teeth clenched as if he had invisible cigars in his mouth.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

The only anime dubbed voice that doesn't annoy me is Ed Elric's. I despise Naruto's voice. *shudders* I know they aren't 4kids, but still.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Cwitt wrote:The only anime dubbed voice that doesn't annoy me is Ed Elric's. I despise Naruto's voice. *shudders* I know they aren't 4kids, but still.
there are a few voice actors(mostly from Funimation) that I actually like. Vic Mignogna is one of the best.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

See I heard about One Piece from some friends, so I didn't end up watching the dubbed version :D (very glad I didn't)

The censorship in Digimon's kinda weird because they tried to do it entirely with cuts, so you wind up with a number of parts that don't make a lot of sense. Also punching appears to be fine, but people getting thrown into walls is insta-cut :?
Add to that their inane idea that kids can't handle more than 5 seconds of silence or more than 30 seconds with no jokes and I want to do serious damage to my computer (but it's not he computer's fault so I just rant at it ;) )

I don't mind Funimation sometimes, but whoever did Ed gets like every single boy character between the age of 12 and 17, and I feel like I'm constantly looking for more depth from him. Just a little, but I keep feeling it.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Obbl wrote:whoever did Ed
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Vic Mignogna
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Didn't 4Kids! go bankrupt?

Also, I feel bad I never watched Digimon when I was a kit. I was a stubborn Pokémon fan (I don't regret loving Pokémon) who refused to watch it, and now I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of nostalgia.
disk333

Post by disk333 »

I don't remember that much.

Let's see...

Ed, Edd, and etc.
The 4kids version of One Piece (eeewwwwww)
Fullmetal Alchemist - both subbed and dubbed
Gurren Lagann (okay that one was stretching it a little.)
Pokemon - On a side note, my bro recently had a pokemon movie marathon at his dorm. Their inside joke was "something something time and space". Yes vague, but it had something to do with the newest one.
King of the Hill? - I think I did :?:
Naruto - stopped soon after (too looooooong)

That's about all I can remember. Does anyone get my brother's inside joke though?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I remember watching Darkwing Duck allthe time.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

copper wrote:Bugs sounds a lot like Daffy in that clip. Is it the same voice artist doing them? It is a strange bugs bunny voice.

The cartoon itself was pretty good. It is a lot like the older ones, in my opinion. Don't kill me on that comment, please.
Actually yes, same actor.
And I like the humor in these clips better than textbook Looney Toones*, actually, mostly because it's a hint drier.
The main thing that worries me is, as I said, character interpretations. I need to see a little more lighthearted snarky banter and wit before I can believe that's really Bugs Bunny.

*I'm leaving this spelling mistake here just to let the record show that I can't spell "Tunes"
Image Image
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

my two cents here (I shall only comment about 30 minutes shows):
western cartoons:
they were good. very good. Teen titans, justice league, Batman, superman, Danny phantom, Delta state, South Park (at least the episodes that didn't insult religion) among several others. I mean, what happened? Flap Jack, chowder, ben 10 (is there antoher cartoon that lost completely the meaning of it's title? And yes. I'm fully prepared for the flames for saying Ben 10 was a bad cartoon. At least after Ben got older the show got better a little, but wait. Unless they decide to give one of the most stupid plot holes of the history, Kevin will tun bad again. I just gave up of that cartoon). I mean, seriously? Have they decided to trying to make new good cartoons? Secret Saturdays WAS good. I mean it. Until they decided to create several stuipid OOC moments What parents in the world, who actually CARED for their children, would allow them to go into mortal danger with just an "okay, then.". I could rage for hours and explain in further details the stupidity of the MODERN and some of the old western cartoons, but let's move foward.

3d/cgi cartoons:
Beast wars was e-p-i-c, however it's sequel, Beast Machines, was f-a-i-l for one simple reason: they RUINED Silverbolt and Rhino's characters and for several others plot holes. IMO, they decided to make more and more crappy
cgi cartoons so they could save more money with paper and ink and not make 2d crappy cartoons.

eastern cartoons/aka animes:

okay. I'll not activade my Lester mode on here, but let's be honest. almost everything you saw on the western TV about animes is butchered. Let's face it. EVEN SONIC X was censored. everytime Rouge said that cop was a "old woman" she, in the original speech, actually meant soemting sexual that I shall not say it here due the pg-13 rule
I can't say animes are perfect. There are TONS of bad and stupid animes like tokyo mew mew, which is nothing but a cheap knock off of sailor moon. There's also Powerpuff girls Z that is also VERY inferior in comparison to its western and original version. Even dragon ball doesn't escape it. Dragon ball was VERY good until the end of the Frieza saga. Everything after that was completely unecessary and pointless and also stupid (it's just one loooooooooooooooong and boring fight scene. Okay, i admit when i was young i thouht they were incredible, but today I would rather have an awsome story than just pointless violence. that's why I love Code geass so much).

Long story short. It doesn't matter where or how the story is made. As long as it's given tons of thought and effort in it.
Last edited by angelusbr on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

angelusbr wrote:my two cents here (I shall only comment about 30 minutes shows):
western cartoons:
they were good. very good. Teen titans, justice league, Batman, superman, Danny phantom, Delta state, South Park (at least the episodes that didn't insult religion) among several others. I mean, what happened? Flap Jack, chowder, ben 10 (is there antoher cartoon that lost completely the meaning of it's title? And yes. I'm fully prepared for the flames for saying Ben 10 was a bad cartoon. At least after Ben got older the show got better a little, but wait. Unless they decide to give one of the most stupid plot holes of the history, Kevin will tun bad again. I just gave up of that cartoon). I mean, seriously? Have they decided to trying to make new good cartoons? Secret Saturdays WAS good. I mean it. Until they decided to create several stuipid OOC moments What parents in the world, who actually CARED for their children, would allow them to go into mortal danger with just an "okay, then.". I could rage for hours and explain in further details the stupidity of the MODERN and some of the old western cartoons, but let's move foward.

3d/cgi cartoons:
Beast wars was e-p-i-c, however it's sequel, Beast Machines, was f-a-i-l for one simple reason: they RUINED Silverbolt and Rhino's characters and for several others plot holes. IMO, they decided to make more and more crappy
cgi cartoons so they could save more money with paper and ink and not make 2d crappy cartoons.

eastern cartoons/aka animes:

okay. I'll not activade my Lester mode on here, but let's be honest. almost everything you saw on the western TV about animes is butchered. Let's face it. EVEN SONIC X was censored. everytime Rouge said that cop was a "old woman" she, in the original speech, actually meant soemting sexual that I shall not say it here due the pg-13 rule
I can't say animes are perfect. There are TONS of bad and stupid animes like tokyo mew mew, which nothing but a cheap knock off of sailor moon. There's also Powerpuff girls Z that is also VERY inferior in comparison to its western and original version. Even dragin ball doesn't escape it. Dragon ball was VERY good until the end of the Frieza saga. Everything after that was completely unecessary and pointless and also stupid (it's just one loooooooooooooooong and boring fight scene. Okay, i admit when i was young i thouht they were incredible, but today I would rather have an awsome story than just pointless violence. that's why I love Code geass so much).

Long story short. It doesn't matter where or how the story is made. As long as it's given tons of thought and effort in it.
agreed on most of the stuff about western cartoons(though I still watch Ben 10) other than the fact that a lot of what you listed as bad, I view as "I'll watch it if nothing else is on and slightly enjoy it."

on the 3d/cgi, Reboot was a good show in that category (despite than the fact that the first few seasons were too tame due to Disney censorship)

on Anime, I like most of what's on Adult swim, and I only watch Naruto because I like the story and my mom watches it.
If I got the funimation channel, I would watch that too.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

If I got the funimation channel, I would watch that too.
There is a funimation channel! I need to get this!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Does anyone watch Generator Rex? I love that show, way better than Ben10.

And Cwitt, may I ask where you got that profile pic? I've been wanting a Rainbow Dash one for a while, but I'm no good at making them...
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I don't remember much about reboot. I remember about a boy named Enzo and that the villain was called Megabyte (I used to find the villain's name very cool), I found that cartoon very good. I forgot to mention it. But up to this day the best cgi cartoon ever is beast wars.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

naylorfan90 wrote:]Does anyone watch Generator Rex?
I do
angelusbr wrote:I don't remember much about reboot. I remember about a boy named Enzo and that the villain was called Megabyte (I used to find the villain's name very cool), I found that cartoon very good. I forgot to mention it. But up to this day the best cgi cartoon ever is beast wars.
It got better in the last season.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
FuhrerVonZephyr

Post by FuhrerVonZephyr »

naylorfan90 wrote:Does anyone watch Generator Rex? I love that show, way better than Ben10.
Blasphemy!!!

...but then again, I never did see Rex.

Anyone remember Trigun?
Last edited by FuhrerVonZephyr on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey guys! I make art!