Why do you like Housepets?

Discuss the comic here
FarmMan1812

Re: Why do you like Housepets?

Post by FarmMan1812 »

It shows that you can still put humor into something without it being full of cursing or perverted jokes and stuff like that.
It is also really clever and at some points, touching, and all the time, CRAZY in a good way.
Really good to read for a laugh.
Immortel Shadow

Post by Immortel Shadow »

I like Housepets because it has great, well created characters. I love the artwork, and the expressions that were made for them. It is very funny, at the same time it can be random. And I also love the storyline of the comics. It is also kept at a non-perverted, or disgusting scenerio for the comic.
You can tell I love Housepets comics.
A restless Night before hand, the cries of the Night truly a form of Natures significance over mankind, showing that not I nor man can comprehand the True form of Nature, and that form is the Wolf.
Written by Immortel Shadow.
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Alright I was lured in with the art style and yeah the characters are deep, but they're deep with a relatively commutible tone. We've all shared the experiences these characters have gone through, except maybe king, but it would be nice to turn into a talking dog. ^_^

Anyway back to the subject at hand. I like this webcomic because it has quality! I mean have you seen what's on the cartoon network lately? Garbage! (no offense to any one particular show) This comic has a dedicated artist who explores various story arcs that most companies nowadays wouldn't be brave enough to attempt, and he succeeds astoundingly. Plus he has grown through his art style and reshaped certain aspects to improve the quality. I like this webcomic for the art and the story, but more importantly I love the comic for the talent and promise exhibited in it.
Regular Bird

Post by Regular Bird »

I like Housepets, because it has awesome characters, a simple but great art style, the arcs are great, its cute and funny(great combination), and its not complicated so it was easy to get into.

Also it got me back into web comics and drawing. :)
Can't think of anything witty.
dA. / FA.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

I like Housepets!, because every character is uniqe, characters are well done, strips are interesting and funny and very important thing to me, comic is still better and better, cause jokes are changing and of course, way of drawing it develop.

I like this comic so much! :)
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Cory

Post by Cory »

Another "all of the above." I really like the characters though. And it's fun to read.

Alot of you said it's "not overly furry," I didn't even know it WAS furry until I clicked around in the forums! I thought it was on the same level as Calvin and Hobbes(all time favorite), especially when Scientific Progress started going 'boink.' Or 'Zonk' in this case.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Cory wrote:Alot of you said it's "not overly furry," I didn't even know it WAS furry until I clicked around in the forums!
I still don't view it as a furry comic though! Then again, this depends on the viewer, I suppose.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

I agree with Aquablast.

It simple, if someone want to see in something concrete thing, he find it. If someone want to see a furry comic in Housepets!, he see it.

Psychology can tell a lot about person, even in such general things ;)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Cory

Post by Cory »

Works for me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Got a connection for tonight, free time. Let me try to get indepth about this as much as i can:

I know i mentioned in the past that i like Housepets! because of the whole Maxwell/Grape thing going on and newspaper nostalgia, but there's quite a bit more to it than that.

Personally, i feel this comic has one of the best opportunities out there compared to other comics i read including newspapers, webcomics and such. The comic fills everything i would say i like on a casual need and i honestly feel it can do that easily just as well with it's fanbase: it's got good-hearted humor with sentinent pets and animals in an alternate world that closely mimics the real-world similar to other shows and comics in the past, but much more impressive.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

I like Housepets 'cause it is pretty soft confronted to my habits. When I want something to "break" away from a Berserk/Sun Ken Rock/Other, HP is here.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Karl

Post by Karl »

Aquablast wrote:I still don't view it as a furry comic though! Then again, this depends on the viewer, I suppose.
Yes. It's similar for me.

I'm not a furry. I guess you would call me a human in this case, from what I've seen from your posts :) And I see Housepets! as a cartoon comic that contains cute draw animals that have ability to walk and talk. And they are placed in funny and silly situations.

It reminds me of cartoons that I used to watch as a child. We had english Cartoon Network through cable television. There were a lot of cartoons that were really funny. I really enjoyed watching them, they were very influental on my imagination. And I've learned basics of English while watching them xD.

I'm 21 now. Sometimes I see what kind of cartoons are on TV. And I must say that those cartoons are nothing comapred to those that I was watching as a kid. They are mainly made to get money and just threw out for children something to keep them occupied.

That's why I like Housepets!. They have the style of cartoonism that had those cartoons I used to watch. Silliness is funny. Something funny is silly. Magic and mysteries. Adventure. And it doesn't need extravagant style of drawing, gadgets in chips pack or other things. Form, cuteness, silliness and humour is enough to make me smile and feel better in my heart.

I also like Housepets! because from watching each strip, I see that Mr. Griffin puts all of his heart into it. Sometimes it even reflects his life, like it was shown in this strip. He is also opened to the world that surrounds him and he is able to see things that normal people are not noticing. Also, he shows absurds in life, in funny and silly way.

That's why I like reading Housepets!. Because it makes me smile, even if it's gray and rainy outside.
Last edited by Karl on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a bookworm!
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Hey, I'm also not a furry, so you're not alone ;)
Karlos wrote:I'm 21 now. Sometimes I see what kind of cartoons are on TV. And I must say that those cartoons are nothing comapred to those that I was watching as a kid. They are mainly made to get money and just threw out for children something to keep them occupied.

That's why I like Housepets!. They have the style of cartoonism that had those cartoons I used to watch. Silliness is funny. Something funny is silly. Magic and mysteries. Adventure. And it doesn't need extravagant style of drawing, gadgets in chips pack or other things. Form, cuteness, silliness and humour is enough to make me smile and feel better in my heart.
But this is so true, I completly agree with you, I'm also 21 and I exactly know about what you're talking about. I can't describe it better, you did it so well :)

ShadowMew295

Post by ShadowMew295 »

I like Housepets! because it is funny, and the art is simply awesome! I like things that have nice curvy lines and fuzzy stuff. <3
"Every adventure requires a first step. Trite, but true, even here."

~Cheshire Cat
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

I like Housepets because it's a different kind of furry that i see, it's funny and romantic!! in a furry kid strange way!!!
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

Karlos wrote:
I'm 21 now. Sometimes I see what kind of cartoons are on TV. And I must say that those cartoons are nothing comapred to those that I was watching as a kid. They are mainly made to get money and just threw out for children something to keep them occupied.

AMEN.

Housepets is very agile. I really only like two webcomics. Housepets is one of them. Rick always has me guessing where he is gonna go next. Its funny, cute, and plain awesome. Gives me something to look forward to when I wake up on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Retinq

Post by Retinq »

Typhon wrote:Its like a chip. You ever just eat one? (Or in this case read)
*nods*
Karlos wrote: It reminds me of cartoons that I used to watch as a child. We had english Cartoon Network through cable television. Thrre were a lot of cartoons that were really funny. I really enjoyed watching them, they were very influental on my imagination. And I've learned basics of English while wathcing them xD.

Exactly. I don't like that most things tend to degrade to that smelly brown thing. Its a relief to see an exception.
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

1. Characters. Every character has a really unique way to act (they have a really distinctive personality)
2. I think I can relate to some characters... and their actions.
3. It is a fun comic, it even bought back my spirit of drawing, by first drawing a couple of fan art.
5. I ate 4. Maybe it is one of the most "healthy" stuff I see, besides friggin' school.
4. I puked 4, I didn't like it. Great stories, and a couple of references.
6. I will think of #6
EDIT:
6. It is really heartwarming... I miss my coldness, tho

In short, it is a fun, lovely, entertaining comic! Reminds me of some good times I had in some occasions :^) .
I's still thinking of number 6.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Cory

Post by Cory »

Yeah, Rick really does a good job on the characters. That's really the make or break for ANY story, in my opinion. I can even relate to a few.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

This comics awesome... For real... Everything about is perfect.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

I knew there was a thread like this somewhere here...

I absolutely love this comic and I can't figure out why. It just makes me so happy. Even as I go back through older arcs a second or third time, they make me smile soooo hard, as I sit here and smile and spam a friend with how happy I am. He told me it's endearing. <3

I am sitting here giggling as I look through arc 39 again. I love you Rick!
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I love it because I can't find anything to hate about it, it's an awesome comic no matter what way you look at it. And most of the jokes are funny, because they're true!
Sent from my conifer.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I love you, Rick. <3

...Which is very loosely a description of why I like Housepets!?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Reima

Post by Reima »

I like Housepets because of a few things:

1. The Characters.
I can absolutely relate to some of the characters (King, Joey, Zach), others are great fun (Peanut), and others make you want to hit them(Bino). The character development is really well done, I think. Also, the artwork for the characters and the backgrounds are really well done in my opinion.

2. The Story.
I enjoy how old parts of the comic that you didn't know had any connection to the characters resurface at times, making it seem like nothing is used as filler. Everything seems to have some sort of continuity, even if it isn't clear at first. Likewise, it is intelligently written with many references to random things (Gaspar? Didn't expect it, but I LOVE IT!).
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free.
"
~Clarence Darrow
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

EVERYTHING!

The art styles from the start to the current style.
The plot
The personalities of the characters.
How Rick seems to keep everything together from the beginning (main reason)
How the characters are narturally changing slowly with each event as time passes.

I could think of more, but yeah, just about everything.
Sami

Post by Sami »

the characters are adorable and they cheer me up =)
Hi, I'm sami, =)
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say that I'm agreeing with pretty much everything others have already said.

The characters are some of the most lovable, relatable characters I've ever come across in a comic (furry-ish or otherwise). We all know a person in our lives (or are ourselves someone) who we're heavily reminded of when we see these characters and how they interact with one another. Even as crazy as some of the antics get (as only a cartoon character can), the dialogue and development of plot points just seems to flow naturally. It rarely, if ever, feels forced or baited along, as many comics seem to be. This comic's progression has a natural rhythm that mirrors the unpredictability of real life.

Plus, the art style is cute and charming. And even though their is obvious and continual improvement to the artistry, I never felt like it was poorly drawn in the beginning chapters. Expressions are varied, and really help to enhance the mood of a scene, and I never feel like Rick gets caught using particular expressions to the point of dull repetition. It's an incredibly common habit that a lot of artists fall victim to, and Rick does an excellent job of avoiding the cliched "anime" repertoire of expression; which, while being easy to mimic, doesn't leave room for much variety.

And finally, I love the fact that Housepets! is just plain funny without the need for crude or raunchy humor. Don't get me wrong, I love a well-placed sexual innuendo as much as the next guy. But the ability to make people laugh without resorting to anything beyond genuinely witty, humorous dialogue is an impressive feat nowadays where it's so easy to just cash in on the sex bandwagon. It's great to read something that I never have to worry about who's reading over my shoulder as I sift through page after page of good, intelligent humor.

In short, there's really nothing -not- to like about it. Very easily one of the best comics out there.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

KJOokami wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love a well-placed sexual innuendo as much as the next guy.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:
KJOokami wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love a well-placed sexual innuendo as much as the next guy.
You know if you think about it for a second since we know by that point she knew about Peanut liking her, she did that on purpose knowing what it would do to him.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh man, that's true...

Which means she might actually like him back at least a little? Or maybe she just likes the attention. *shrugs*
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:Oh man, that's true...

Which means she might actually like him back at least a little? Or maybe she just likes the attention. *shrugs*
I would say at a bare minimum she does like the attention. Could that mean she likes him more then she lets on and is maybe in denial about it or something like that? Only Rick knows right now but I hope it does. See I enjoy things like this in this comic (and well any other story I read) it makes it all the more enjoyable to re-read the archive.
coconut

Post by coconut »

I love this comic simply because most of the humor in it is based off of irony, which is my absolute favorite medium of comedy. Also the art is phenomenal. The characters remind me of my own pets, and even better - myself. I honestly think this comic is actually turning me onto cats for once in my life. And you know you're addicted to something when you have crushes on the characters (Fido....Peanut)
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:Image
Sensual =/= Sexual. Nice try, though! :)
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
serynth

Post by serynth »

well i like the art style and there is some pretty hilarious stuff that goes on in it :lol:
“Sir, we're surrounded!”

“Excellent. We can attack in any direction!”
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

I like it because Sleet is VERY persuasive.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

These days my shift of loving the cats and EVERY cat has been moving towards the romantic side of things for every animal, especially Bino and Peanut's relations with Sasha and Tarot. Simply put: Rick is just too good with the cute side of this comic and his humor; despite some of it silly; turns out to be cute humor whether serious or not. and if that's not his intention? >.> Well, he should look into that!

I'm now enjoying this comic in a prefectly casual sense with a few goals in mind that i hope Rick follows through with. more specifically, i like to see if Peanut, Grape and Bino are successful in their dating lives. (Especially Max and Grape!)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Jim Briand

Post by Jim Briand »

It's good guide for training pets. j/k. Never had a pet though. ; 3; </3

To put it simple the characters just are great and funny. Viewing each one's unique personality and seeing them grow.
Kingcorgi

Post by Kingcorgi »

KING KING KING KING KING!!!!!!!!!
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

Eh, why not.
I'm not sure why I do, maybe I do. Maybe I dont, I honestly don't care.
But the comis is interesting, I'll give you guys that
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

I like the serie because
A:i never had a pet but one always wanted
B:in principle, I like animals (almost all ^ ^)
C:on the other hand, I like the humor and the drawing of Rick Griffin everybody can identify himself with somebody into my fall for Joey he's crazy and shy but i like him :D
I'm a happy playfull kitty in a party of my soul but form time to time a evil wolf
that's my soul and i love it and I would want to change it never