speculations and paranoias

Discuss the comic here
arcict

speculations and paranoias

Post by arcict »

The "current comic" thread just seemed like the wrong place to put this. Anyway, I was thinking about what I thought was in the future and a few thoughts occured to me for the Housepets comic.

So, I don't want this to just be my speculations either, ANYBODY with a thought (crazy or otherwise) about the future should come and express it (and again, I thought it was a bit off trying to do so in the current comic topic).

So, first off. I keep trying to figure out or otherwise guess what Pete is up to. Why would he take an otherwise uninportant and inconsequential person and not only change that person's life (apparently permanently) but also stay with him personally?!

One thought is that King himself is a "proof of concept" for a later thing Pete might do. My paranoia at this point is screaming "Pete's gonna turn everyone into animals cuz he's a jerk cuz Tarot said so and he does things like that!" but... well, my paranoia says a lot of things.

I do have to wonder about teh story in general. True, the point is the hilarity and general silliness but... well it just eats at me not knowing with so many... I'll call them "bubbles" they are points of suspension that are eventually either going to become irrelevent through time or are going to come crashing down (hence the name, they are plots suspended on a bubble and thus not really suspended at all!) the Grape/Peanut catlover thing is one such bubble. Another few bubbles however is King and what he is going to do with himself, maybe I take his situation too seriously, heck, I KNOW I take his situation too seriously, but still. Another is Sasha, and her owner and yeah. Fido... well, Fido and Spo are one thing, I kinda love their relationship, it's one of the few that is determined to remain comical and yet not really go anywhere so I guess it's not really a bubble unless Spo dies or Fido's owner finds him and evicts him or something; and the Fido Sabrina relationship, now THAT is a bubble! IMHO, the ferrets and the wolves and their whole situation is a disaster just waiting to happen, a definate bubble in terms of how long they can keep it up before doing something illegal out of ignorance of the laws or because some idiot decides to go and change the laws against them or something.

I know, I'm ranting more then actually speculating, it's late and I'm tired and I just KNOW there are details that I'm overlooking or that my paranoia is just making up in my head.

So anyway, enjoy and please, tell me your paranoias... er, speculations on the future.
Everything I need to know, I learned from webcomics!
ChewyChewy

Re: speculations and paranoias

Post by ChewyChewy »

I'm not very good at the speculations myself, but as far as paranoias go, I plead the MST3K mantra.

I do wonder about what you've mentioned, but I'm not AFRAID of what might happen, necessarily. The characters are real for me but I'm also removed from them, if that makes sense....

I don't know, maybe it's my Asperger's Syndrome talking....
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Thought: The catnip arc will return one day in a completely different form!
No seriously, I think that it will probably be brought back, just not as seemingly out-of-character and potentially offensive as the first time.
There's my addition, go nuts, other people.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Ebly wrote:
No seriously, I think that it will probably be brought back, just not as seemingly out-of-character and potentially offensive as the first time.

Ooo! The cat nip arc! I really want that to return! ( even though te chances are like nothing.)

Anyway...I think Joey will become Grape's boyfriend! (Or was it Fido?)
Make Pasta not war.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Phff. When that arc does return, it'll totally be Peanut and Fiddle.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Dylan wrote:
Ebly wrote:

Ooo! The cat nip arc! I really want that to return! ( even though te chances are like nothing.)

Anyway...I think Joey will become Grape's boyfriend! (Or was it Fido?)
Dylan, you are a nut. :lol:
But I love that about you.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

If you want my personal opinion, i think we need more kittens.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Added thought!
We need less kittens!
*Giggles and runs off into the bushes*
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Ebly wrote:Added thought!
We need less kittens!
*burns bushes*
More. Kittens.
I'm from Russia, so please, don't pay attention to my terrible accent ;)
See me on DeviantArt.
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

RaptorAnton wrote:
We need less kittens!
*burns bushes*
More. Kittens.
Poor Ebly...
Now the burning bushes are talking to me. I have to go part the sea of shippers or something.

Seriously though, why do we have to see kittens? The main characters aren't cute enough?
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Two_Twig wrote:
RaptorAnton wrote:
We need less kittens!
*burns bushes*
More. Kittens.
Poor Ebly...
Now the burning bushes are talking to me. I have to go part the sea of shippers or something.

Seriously though, why do we have to see kittens? The main characters aren't cute enough?
I don't know)) We've seen wolf cubs, a puppy called Pap, but we still haven't seen any kittens!
And everybody loves kittens!
Well, except those talkative burning bushes...
See me on DeviantArt.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Kittens are the epitome of elite cuteness. next to puppies.

Though i wouldn't mind seeing Puppy/Kitty versions of the characters someday either!
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

GameCobra wrote:Kittens are the epitome of elite cuteness. next to puppies.

Though i wouldn't mind seeing Puppy/Kitty versions of the characters someday either!
Yeah, something like a flashback... That would be awesome...

p.s. kittens are better, cause puppies can't purr.
*purr*
See me on DeviantArt.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Kittens also grow very fond from my experience to people that pet them at a very young age. and they are furry as well!

Puppies i enjoy for their energy though. they are highly active, and fun when they chase you around =P
Liam

Post by Liam »

RaptorAnton wrote:kittens are better, cause puppies can't purr.
Second that.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

The only kitten I've seen is when Grape was smaller. :(
Make Pasta not war.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Okay now I think I should be stepping in and saying that guys, this was meant to be a topic about speculation and stuff, not a discussion on baby animals. Enough kitten- and puppy-talk. I said what I said as a joke and I think it's kind of gone too far.

I speculate people will be getting back to speculation, hopefully.
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

I speculate Rick will get off this silliness peanut an grape arc, an get back to a story telling drama arc again soon!!
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I speculate more ki~ *so not doing it*

There is alot of things i like to think about when it comes to the comic, but the #1 thing i like to think about is the relationships in general, mainly Fido and Sabrina's relationship. i look at the relationship the most good-hearted one in the series, and yet it's secretive for obvious reasons. it makes me wonder if there was any pets that wanted to commit to the best of their relationships, it would be these two. Infact, that's one of the things i'm speculating in the future about this: I'm wondering with the way most pets feels about their relationship, if Fido and Sabrina's relationship will break alot of barriers in the future? especially Grape and Peanut's?

as for Pete, i'm thinking Pete is moreso a tamperer of things: He tampers to fix problems in the town at the least. something he obviously has the power to do. how far this goes depends, but one thing i'm speculating is Pete going to interfere with PETA?
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

GameCobra wrote:I speculate more ki~ *so not doing it*

There is alot of things i like to think about when it comes to the comic, but the #1 thing i like to think about is the relationships in general, mainly Fido and Sabrina's relationship. i look at the relationship the most good-hearted one in the series, and yet it's secretive for obvious reasons. it makes me wonder if there was any pets that wanted to commit to the best of their relationships, it would be these two. Infact, that's one of the things i'm speculating in the future about this: I'm wondering with the way most pets feels about their relationship, if Fido and Sabrina's relationship will break alot of barriers in the future? especially Grape and Peanut's?

as for Pete, i'm thinking Pete is moreso a tamperer of things: He tampers to fix problems in the town at the least. something he obviously has the power to do. how far this goes depends, but one thing i'm speculating is Pete going to interfere with PETA?
That would be cool, if Pete turned all PETA members into animals. In real world too...
See me on DeviantArt.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Keeshah wrote:I speculate Rick will get off this silliness peanut an grape arc, an get back to a story telling drama arc again soon!!
What makes you think it's not a story telling arc? Are you not paying attention?
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Foxstar wrote:
Keeshah wrote:I speculate Rick will get off this silliness peanut an grape arc, an get back to a story telling drama arc again soon!!
What makes you think it's not a story telling arc? Are you not paying attention?
I think, that under "drama arc" he means King's story.
See me on DeviantArt.
Foldo

Post by Foldo »

I speculate that Rick will finish the story of King and published it just in time for the second anniversary of Housepets! :D
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

GameCobra wrote:I speculate more ki~ *so not doing it*
More King! He was going to say more King! *flails*
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Warning! Wall of text approaching. Raise shields.

You know, I feel this has to be said. I’m dismayed that everyone’s attitude towards King’s situation is so negative. Let me offer an alternative viewpoint (view as a coping mechanism if you want, I do find this character psychologically troubling). And if you think you’ve seen overanalysis, just you wait!

Everyone here seems to think of King as being trapped in this form. Well, you’d be right. But I put this question to all of you: why should King want to return to being human at all? He’s got it much better than he would before, and my biggest problem with him is that he’s a moron for not seeing it! Let’s break it down.

Look at his life as Joel. It seems to me he did not really have anything meaningful in his life. Parents? He probably was not very close with his parents, especially considering previous events surrounding them in his life. They might even be dead. Extended family? Probably none to speak of that he was close with, considering his social skills, among other things. Friends? Again, social graces, and if that PETA member was any indication of his taste in friends, he probably didn’t have very many good friends, certainly none who cared to try and talk him out of bad situations. Significant others? Probably not, and if yes, than it didn’t last/wasn’t meaningful. Pets? We all know the answer to that. Finally, even if he hadn’t just escaped (I have a thought about that, but I’ll let Rick unfold events first), he’s got a record. He was on parole back last year, and this is a second hit. That doesn’t look good on future work applications. To sum up, he was pretty much in a bit of a stew, to put it kindly. Not much of a life as a human to look forward to.

Now look at his life as King. He doesn’t see it because of his prejudices, but Pete has done him an incredibly wonderful favor, even if that wasn’t his intention. Here he has the opportunity to make some real friends from what we know of the neighborhood dogs (Bino aside). Furthermore, the activities that the dogs enjoy amount to King never having to work to earn his living! What being King comes down to is a chance for King to live the childhood that was stolen from him. If he starts hanging out with the dogs more, he might just get that. As for him being a shut-in.... I don’t think so. I think he would use any excuse to not be around Pete as much as possible. Long story short, he has nothing left to lose by being King, and so much to win. The only things holding him back are a deranged griffin, and personal biases. And who knows, he was socially maladjusted, used to being led/ordered around, liked dog food before all this.... maybe this is what he was always meant to be.

Having said all that, I do have paranoias. I fear he may never realize all of this, or when he does, it will be too late. I also fear that Joel may not get a proper farewell: even if he didn’t have much of a life, it was still a life. Most of all, I fear he may never get anything meaningful out of all of this, and be written as a Kafkan character for long periods of time. Still, it is nice to see him attempting to interact with the dogs.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

There's nothing to say he will never be turned back to a human. It's like how he assumed he would be, and Pete crushed that by saying he never said anything about turning him back. On the same note, he never said anything about not turning him back.

Anyway, whether or not his life, by your standards (or most people, I'm sure, but my point is more the subjectivity), better - he certainly seems to want to be a human again, so far be it from me to argue what he should feel when it's obvious what he does feel.
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Well, again, that's the only way I can deal with him emotionally as a character. He's become a poisonous character to this comic for me: I see only him at the expense of everything else. It was hard to enjoy the last arc personally with that black cloud hanging over it. I have to hope things can get better for him, or it will just continue to hurt. I also have to wonder what's keeping him ticking, and I likely won't have that answered until the summer arcs.

EDIT: Additionally, if he IS in fact going to be human again someday (which I would also support, by the way), I have to hope that he doesn't waste his existence as King with depression. This is, after all, something that most humans never get the chance at, even ones with scars where pets are concerned.
The Game

Post by The Game »

When you think about, if King got changed now his human life would be flipped. You can't just be a dog and forget about it!!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

That's something I never considered and I obsess about this character a lot. Hmmm. It would certainly leave him with a changed perspective. If you can't tell, I'm very much obsessed with this character, which may be a product of my Asperger's or that he's generally just interesting, or maybe both. In any case, this character has so much potential and direction to take. I guess that's what makes him my favorite.

Oh, and I have another paranoia to list, and sliceofdog may resent this: as much as I want to be completely optimistic about Fox and King developing a strong friendship, I am very afraid of (and have to entertain) the possibility that Fox may somehow find out the truth of King's real identity, and if and when he does, I'm not sure I want to be there for it. But then again, that may never happen, especially if you're going to take the King will someday be Joel again route.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

cartoon dogs are serious, serious business
ImageImage
ImageImage
arcict

Post by arcict »

Seriously... :P

Nut anyway, the problem I have with King isn't that he isn't human per se, it's that he isn't free. Think about this, from his position before he has effectively traded one prison for another. It's not that he doesn't need to work for what he gets, it's that he cannot work for what he gets, he... well, I like the idea of him being able to live through the childhood he never had before but eventually he'll want to "grow up" and when he does, he's either going to need to run away, join a "animal freedom" movement or something or face Pete directly, any one of which would likely end in disaster.

Even so, I have faith that we (or most of us anyway) are going to like whatever Rick is planning. I've been in this situation before, pointlessly speculating about things just as it seems that something is about to happen (I do think the current arc will either rip the peanut/grape catlover plot wide open or at least pull at the seams just a little bit more) and worrying about what the author is going to do. It's the mark of a good author to be able to keep his audience in this kind of suspence and stuff. Seriously, I wish I could do it.
Everything I need to know, I learned from webcomics!
PhoenixAsper

Post by PhoenixAsper »

Your comments are backed by my earlier statements about his personal biases. As soon as he gets around those, if ever, things will really get interesting.

And perhaps Rick will do something that will make me look really silly.... if I haven't done fine job of that already. I also know I take this a bit too seriously. It's just in my nature when I get attached to something.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Sinder wrote:cartoon dogs are serious, serious business
Rick got pretty serious about this character: he seems to have a deeper character than Grape and Peanut do, and they're the two central characters. I agree with PhoenixDude, King is an interesting character, and he does have a mixed plate in front of him: this wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't a pessimist all the time. What I also notice is the whole Pete situation: Pete is supposedly "a jerk" and "the beginning of the end" and "needs to be stopped", from Tarot's point of view. Could King tell them or be of any help if they decided to do anything? What would happen to King if something happened to Pete? Can they do anything about Pete at all, considering the the things he's shown he can do with ease? Is anyone going to eventually learn of King's origins?

Why are Grape, Peanut, and Tarot playing a silly game if Pete's on the loose? (DISREGARD THAT: I'm just used to administrating RPGs, where I get annoyed with my players if they start worrying about the unimportant, like whether they can find the most powerful Scion in Arizona, while there's something centrally-important going on, like a band of Titan-Scions trying to resurrect a dangerous Titan. This is perfectly fine for a comic that isn't meant to be that serious anyway.)

It doesn't matter though: I trust that Rick will do the Rick thing, whatever that may be, so I'm just waiting it out until he does, because that's not only cannon, but sure to be worthwhile.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

PhoenixAsper wrote:which may be a product of my Asperger's
Off topic for a bit here.

Just a tip here.. Everyone on the internet these days claims to have Aspergers. Everyone. Even if a licensed shink pulled out his DSM-IV and ran you though the tests before declaring you have it, it's better -not- to let anyone on the internet know you have it at all. Official label or not, it makes it look like your making excuses for socially odd or unacceptable behavior and it will cause people to never want to deal with you because of the long list of furries who have it and have done things that no one likes. And keep doing them.

It's the fastest way to socially stigmatize yourself and ensure that you will never be able to enjoy friendships with people who aren't socially inept. And if you haven't officially been told you have it, well..that's worse,

Now on with the thread.