Collaborative Artistic Improvement Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

ResTheRabbit

Collaborative Artistic Improvement Thread

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Alright this is a fairly basic thread in theory... those who need help in a particular area of their art, post a question and a tutorial will be found, linked, or made specifically for you! All the basic rules from other topics apply, let's keep this squeaky clean so it can benefit others guys. ;)

Tutorials can be posted on any subject, figures, weapons, scenery, or anything else... Let's get rolling!

(EDIT!) Okay so I'm noticing that some artists like to talk over their art too. It helps them to understand more than a tutorial can teach from one page. So I'm thinking maybe we should also collaboratively talk about art too! So if you have something to discuss DON"T HESITATE to bring it up!
Last edited by ResTheRabbit on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickCole

Re: Collaborative Artistic Improvement Thread

Post by NickCole »

I was asked a LONG time ago about how I draw my furries so here's my first (and probably useless) tutorial on how. |D

Though, I have changed my techniques, which I MAY have to redo the tutorial. o 3o
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

cool, a tutorial!!! a need some classes *sit in the chair, and start practice*
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I could use a tutorial on how to draw relativly simple, but good looking, eyes.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Yeah, tutorial :)

I'll look here often, maybe I'll learn something ;)

But as I know myself, I'll still doing everything different then it should be do and my own technique ;) For example I've never did my fursona (or any other drawing) using this rule with circle and cross though I know about it. I'm just doing it my own way ;)
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Every artist has their own technique for arriving at the finished product so it's okay not to implement the tutorials to the exact degree but rather try each style and see which one works for you and then maybe develop a hybrid approach or invent your own work style.

I'll do an eye tutorial for you Chance! Do you want realistic, cartoon, hybird, or (D) all of the above.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Right now I'm doing everything in one style which is based on Housepets style. I need to try other styles, but I think that I'm not bad at this style of course considering my skill level

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Well when I said style I didn't mean art style... sorry for the confusion. I meant your method or process. It's not important to mimic styles or develop your own when you're learning to draw, rather it's more important to work out the way you work instead. Some go from gestures to blocked figures to base-line skeletons to flesh modeling to scribble lay outs... So if you don't do the circle with crosshairs it's okay, just do what works for you, but trying different methods for arriving at the final drawing will help to understand how you work best. I used to do preliminary anime mannequins, but now I rely on basic circle rib cages and lines for arms instead of cylinders... it's all up to you. There is no right answer to art.

I'm working on a tutorial for the eye, but just cause I'm doing it doesn't mean we can't post multiple tutorials on the same subject. If anyone else has a tutorial on eyes feel free to post one even if I'm doing one too. ;)
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Box O Lions wrote:Well when I said style I didn't mean art style... sorry for the confusion. I meant your method or process. It's not important to mimic styles or develop your own when you're learning to draw, rather it's more important to work out the way you work instead. Some go from gestures to blocked figures to base-line skeletons to flesh modeling to scribble lay outs... So if you don't do the circle with crosshairs it's okay, just do what works for you, but trying different methods for arriving at the final drawing will help to understand how you work best. I used to do preliminary anime mannequins, but now I rely on basic circle rib cages and lines for arms instead of cylinders... it's all up to you. There is no right answer to art.

I'm working on a tutorial for the eye, but just cause I'm doing it doesn't mean we can't post multiple tutorials on the same subject. If anyone else has a tutorial on eyes feel free to post one even if I'm doing one too. ;)
Ow, ok, I get it ;) I'll try for sure a different techniques ;) I just realized one thing when I started thinking about how I'm drawing - I'm doing a lot of changes and corrects on the first sketch and I'm doing everything until it looks good for me. I'm not a type of "visualizer" but in this case I'm for sure.

ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Alright Chance I hope this helps some... I will be doing another page on eyes but this is what I came up with in the past 30 min. ;3
Attachments
Eyes Tutorial Resized.jpg
Eyes Tutorial Resized.jpg (184.88 KiB) Viewed 28619 times
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

Box O Lions wrote:Alright Chance I hope this helps some... I will be doing another page on eyes but this is what I came up with in the past 30 min. ;3
It was very helpful.
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Okay here's a follow up to the above tutorial.

I've realized that the way I learned to draw wasn't step-by-step, but instead I learned why things looked a certain way and what I could do to represent them so my tutorials I'll be posting won't necessarily be step by step unless upon direct request for such. But I do think that if you understand things about how drawings work it will be easier to practice rather than trying to learn and practice drawing at the same time. I've heard a good many people reference that they do lots of drawings but never get any better and I will have to note that this is most likely because it isn't effective for practice unless you are mentally improving or know why some drawings look better than others. That is what I hope to contribute as well.
Attachments
Eye Tutorial 2 Resize.jpg
Eye Tutorial 2 Resize.jpg (188.39 KiB) Viewed 28599 times
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

I hope I won't be one of this people about what you wrote Box ;)

ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

jopencjusz wrote:I hope I won't be one of this people about what you wrote Box ;)
You aren't one, and even if you were, it's not a bad thing. I'm here to help anyone and everyone with their art. What's the point of being a good artist if I don't help others fulfill the same dream that I have... and that dream is, To be able to draw the things from our minds. It's man's earliest ambition to express himself. We do it with words, pencils, and body language. We are all artists and as men of integrity it is our duty to help others to express themselves in every way possible... I just went overboard for sure but it's a pep talk for improvement. ;)
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

You're right, everything begins with inspiration and desire to express himself ;)

Regular Bird

Post by Regular Bird »

Nice idea on this thread, I hope it gets even better. Because I'm interested in learning how to draw better. :)
Can't think of anything witty.
dA. / FA.
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Regular Bird wrote:Nice idea on this thread, I hope it gets even better. Because I'm interested in learning how to draw better. :)
Post something you need help with and it will be handed down to you on a silver plate. ;)
Regular Bird

Post by Regular Bird »

Box O Lions wrote:
Regular Bird wrote:Nice idea on this thread, I hope it gets even better. Because I'm interested in learning how to draw better. :)
Post something you need help with and it will be handed down to you on a silver plate. ;)
When I get the time, I will, its more around hands and feet that I need help with. I've got it down but I might need some extra help.
Can't think of anything witty.
dA. / FA.
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Lots of people have trouble with those. I'll make something tomorrow that might help you.

Alright I have a challenge for anyone who really feels like doing some searching or wants to help me tremendously... leather! Anyone have a tut on it? I'll post an attempt I had at it. I think it's adequate but if you guys have any pointers please DON"T HESITATE to tell me something for improvement!
Attachments
leather sucks.PNG
leather sucks.PNG (227.42 KiB) Viewed 28541 times
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

For the person who needed just a little more help with hands I'm sorry it took me this long to make this one. I forgot about it until just about 30 min. ago. Hope it helps. ;3
Attachments
Hands Resize.jpg
Hands Resize.jpg (176.14 KiB) Viewed 28506 times
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

So, pixel art. I tried it. It kicked my butt. Are there any tips for it that can make it less frustrating?
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

Hmm... what program are you using?
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

try using paint
it takes an idiot to do cool things that's why they're cool
soothing no?
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

shadowhaz wrote:try using paint
Yup! Shadow does great pixel art!

Alternatively I was thinking that you could set the pixels per inch extremely low on a canvas in GIMP or Photoshop... that may or may not work. I'll look up a few ways to do it and report back from google. When I come back I'll just edit this post to avoid double posting. ;) Be right back.

Alright... well so far as I can tell you can either draw the drawing on graph paper and scan it, make a gridded background using a layer feature and color in the blocks, or use paint... I'd say use paint because I know paint must be a lot easier than those other steps. The other steps have a lot of clean up work and the processes are overly complicated for such a simple task.

I don't know much about Paint so Shadow why don't you tell us how you made yours? I remember you made some really, really good ones before.
Last edited by ResTheRabbit on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I did use paint.
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

Cwitt wrote:
I did use paint.
have you tried using the ereaser tool I found it handier than the pecil tool but i used the pencil tool to do small tweaks and for erasing
soothing no?
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

No, I haven't. I'll keep that in mind
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

shadowhaz wrote:
Cwitt wrote:
I did use paint.
have you tried using the ereaser tool I found it handier than the pecil tool but i used the pencil tool to do small tweaks and for erasing
I just tried that method and it works amazingly well! I may have to make some 8-bit art now too. x3
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I just realised I don't completly understand what you mean by using the eraser. Could you elaborate?
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

right click the black color while having the eraser slected and everytime you clixk it will make a pixel and use the pencil tool set to white to edit and correct mispalced pixels *Its the best method Ive tried its a real time saver*
soothing no?
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

shadowhaz wrote:right click the black color while having the eraser slected and everytime you clixk it will make a pixel and use the pencil tool set to white to edit and correct mispalced pixels *Its the best method Ive tried its a real time saver*
Ok. Thanks.
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

Ill try to make a visual tutorial this weekend to help out futher
soothing no?
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

shadowhaz wrote:right click the black color while having the eraser slected and everytime you clixk it will make a pixel and use the pencil tool set to white to edit and correct mispalced pixels *Its the best method Ive tried its a real time saver*
On mine, which I'm not sure if their the same version, mine may be more current for Windows 7, but you can pick color 2 as what color you want the eraser to be instead of white. But if it doesn't have that option then you could go back and color them in with the fill bucket after you have the drawing laid out. ;)
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

I have vista on mine with a basic version of paint
soothing no?
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

shadowhaz wrote:I have vista on mine with a basic version of paint
I'll play the role of a salesman! Go download GIMP if you want something as fantastic as Photoshop for half, no wait, zero the price of Photoshop! That's right folks! It's absolutely free! And it also has more gadgets to toy with than a swiss army knife! And if that wasn't enough it's used equally among professionals.

But in all seriousness if you want to download it, feel free to. It's free and it's got the capability of Photoshop. ;)
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

I fail at gimp D: I prefer paint tool sai
soothing no?
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

shadowhaz wrote:I fail at gimp D: I prefer paint tool sai
I'm going to be making digital painting tutorials for Leo tomorrow so I'll be sure to be thorough enough to help you out to. ;)
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

ok Im sure that will help :D
soothing no?
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

Thank you Box! That is very Kind of you! :D

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo