Housepets! Forums Site Feedback & Suggestions

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

CaptainPea
Extremerator

Re: Housepets! Forums Site Feedback & Suggestions

Post by CaptainPea »

Psykeout wrote:is it possible for you to do that thing where you would go like this:
[flash](youtube video url)[/flash]
and then it would be like, whats it called? where you could watch it, like, right there? without having to click a link?
I know that PhBB can do this, the Imageums had [youtube],[google] and [flash] tags...
Image Image
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

CaptainPea wrote:
Psykeout wrote:is it possible for you to do that thing where you would go like this:
[flash](youtube video url)[/flash]
and then it would be like, whats it called? where you could watch it, like, right there? without having to click a link?
I know that PhBB can do this, the Imageums had [youtube],[google] and [flash] tags...
well if you look here
bbc.png
bbc.png (9.11 KiB) Viewed 18103 times
youll see it says the flash tags are off, and theres not, like, somewhere where you can just flip em on, or something, is there?
bwah bwah
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Psykeout wrote:youll see it says the flash tags are off, and theres not, like, somewhere where you can just flip em on, or something, is there?
I think the flash tags are universally turned off, I couldn't find any magic button.
Image Image
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

no, i mean can a mod or someone turn them on.
bwah bwah
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The forum administrator can, but the question is whether it's a good idea. Would enabling this feature drastically increase page load times?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Yes, I know it was rhetorical, but...

Post by dalonewolf25 »

The opposite; It would drastically decrease the page load, as it would have to load the video/animation as an image first, then it would start loading up...

Fix'd
Last edited by dalonewolf25 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

dalonewolf25 wrote:The opposite; It would decrease drastically the page load...
not trying to sound rude, but how does that make any sense?
bwah bwah
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

He has a point. It'll load like a html placed youtube video. It won't start loading the video until the user presses "play".

I don't think I'm explaining this right...
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Dissension wrote:The forum administrator can, but the question is whether it's a good idea. Would enabling this feature drastically increase page load times?
Depends on whether people abused it I guess.
We wouldn't do that, right guys?
Riiiiiiiiiiiight?
Image Image
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

CaptainPea wrote:
Dissension wrote:The forum administrator can, but the question is whether it's a good idea. Would enabling this feature drastically increase page load times?
Riiiiiiiiiiiight?
Even in my experience of two months on here, I'd say...YES. Yes we would.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Tha Housedog wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:
Riiiiiiiiiiiight?
Even in my experience of two months on here, I'd say...YES. Yes we would.
i disagree. i thnk it'd be helpful and overused to the music and video threads, but thats it. there might be a few people who are a little generous with its use, but i think we could handle ourselves.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I actually don't think we (collectively) could handle it stuff like that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

*shrug* if you guys say so.
bwah bwah
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Mobile Site:

Well, the first problem with that is that we need someone who can program it or work with HTML, and we don't have that, or at least someone at the level to do that. Second, consider the scale of Facebook; it's freakn' huuuuuuge! It's worth it, and makes sense, for them to have a mobile version of the site because people are checking it all the time, especially from mobile phones and internet. These forums, on the other hand, are used by only a handful of users (though a lot) so the cost doesn't really outweigh the benefit.

'Course, if someone wants to volunteer and pick it up as a side project, we ain't stoppin' them. :P

On another forum I frequent, embedding a youtube video in a post also has the result of an AD appearing right next to it. That's something I'm not all too thrilled about having, and will probably show up here, too, should we allow it.

What's wrong with a link? It's just one more click and pageload.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

What Buck said.

Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Buckdida wrote:Mobile Site:

Well, the first problem with that is that we need someone who can program it or work with HTML, and we don't have that, or at least someone at the level to do that. Second, consider the scale of Facebook; it's freakn' huuuuuuge! It's worth it, and makes sense, for them to have a mobile version of the site because people are checking it all the time, especially from mobile phones and internet. These forums, on the other hand, are used by only a handful of users (though a lot) so the cost doesn't really outweigh the benefit.

'Course, if someone wants to volunteer and pick it up as a side project, we ain't stoppin' them. :P

On another forum I frequent, embedding a youtube video in a post also has the result of an AD appearing right next to it. That's something I'm not all too thrilled about having, and will probably show up here, too, should we allow it.

AD?
bwah bwah
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Psykeout wrote:
Buckdida wrote:Mobile Site:

AD?
*facepalms* An advertisement...
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

is it wrong for me to assume that caps indicates an acronym and that im not sure how many d's the word ad has?

IS IT?!
bwah bwah
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

has anybody else noticed how it seems forum mods are online much more then global mods nowadays? It's getting to the point where it's rare to even see 2 global mods on at once, yet it's really common to see 2 forum mods at once. I think at least once a day I see Diss'on and CT, although I rarely see Buck, Dylan, Ebly or Foxstar anymore (although, to be fair, whenever they're online, they do mod everything out that needs modding).

I'm just wondering...why not give the forum mods more powers over the other threads? Only if they want the extra responsibility I mean...but, it just feels like it almost should happen. Let alone could happen.

(no disrespect for the global mods...maybe it's my timezone, but I only ever see Buck and Foxstar online...and even that's really rare...)

I don't know. Tell me what you guys think.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

44R0NM10 wrote:has anybody else noticed how it seems forum mods are online much more then global mods nowadays? It's getting to the point where it's rare to even see 2 global mods on at once, yet it's really common to see 2 forum mods at once. I think at least once a day I see Diss'on and CT, although I rarely see Buck, Dylan, Ebly or Foxstar anymore (although, to be fair, whenever they're online, they do mod everything out that needs modding).

I'm just wondering...why not give the forum mods more powers over the other threads? Only if they want the extra responsibility I mean...but, it just feels like it almost should happen. Let alone could happen.

(no disrespect for the global mods...maybe it's my timezone, but I only ever see Buck and Foxstar online...and even that's really rare...)

I don't know. Tell me what you guys think.
From what I can tell it's not really necessary as everything is being covered effectively.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

44R0NM10 wrote:-snip-
I agree that the it is kind of rare to see the global mods nowadays, but it could be my timezone too. And I think it is not a bad idea to promote some forum moderator into global moderator, just that there seem to be no necessity yet.

Besides, we can actually report posts. That should cover almost everything, if you are worried about that.

Although I think Ebly is in the land of Internetlessness now or something, if I am not mistaken.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

A large part of the reason we have forum moderators in the first place is to reduce the strain on global mods. I can't speak for Kyderra or ctcmjh, but I'm a loser with no life outside the forums. Buck is a full-time college student, Foxstar has his own responsibilities, Dylan is in school, and Ebly has limited Internet access. The forum mods can handle most things that come up, but the g-mods back us up when more action is required or if something goes down when we're not online.

ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Dissension wrote:A large part of the reason we have forum moderators in the first place is to reduce the strain on global mods. I can't speak for Kyderra or ctcmjh, but I'm a loser with no life outside the forums. Buck is a full-time college student, Foxstar has his own responsibilities, Dylan is in school, and Ebly has limited Internet access. The forum mods can handle most things that come up, but the g-mods back us up when more action is required or if something goes down when we're not online.
I'm a full time college student, like Buck, but my classes tend to have very convenient schedules. I don't think we need to promote one of us to G-Mod status just yet. Perhaps if the population here exploded, or if one of the G-Mods had to resign, or something like that, then I can see a new G-mod being elected.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I hate to say it...but you've just given excuses as to why it's not the global mods fault for not being online as much.

I'm just saying I see no reason why it wouldn't be more convenient to promote somebody. I mean, even if it's not really needed, it would still be a nice precaution. (and, to Diss'on, shouldn't it be the forum mods that back the global mods up? Since the global mods have more authority, then I think so.)
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

This may have been pointed out already, but there is ^an extreme amount of lag that happens hourly as to where to forums won't load. Please fix this; it drives me crazy. >_<
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Tha Housedog wrote:This may have been pointed out already, but there is ^an extreme amount of lag that happens hourly as to where to forums won't load. Please fix this; it drives me crazy. >_<
Seconded! I've seen this in past few days too.
"I watch ponies now! Ponies are cool!"

Darien Shephard - SP - S-4 P-9 E-3 C-8 I-10 A-2 L-6
Dusk Roscoe - YF - S-4 P-7 E-7 C-5 I-5 A-8 L-6
Roxanne Cooper - BPS - S-4 P-6 E-4 C-7 I-8 A-7 L-6
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

The Broken Fox wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:This may have been pointed out already, but there is ^an extreme amount of lag that happens hourly as to where to forums won't load. Please fix this; it drives me crazy. >_<
Seconded! I've seen this in past few days too.
Thirded... ed.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I can vouch for many people on this fact. It sure is causing a problem.
But take your time if need be.
Chaplin

Post by Chaplin »

I had no idea this was here. In another forum I visit, we have a "Chat box" Where people pretty much chat. Wouldn't that eliminate the need for a chat thread?
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Chaplin wrote:I had no idea this was here. In another forum I visit, we have a "Chat box" Where people pretty much chat. Wouldn't that eliminate the need for a chat thread?
But we do have an IRC channel though! And I think a chat box is going to be hard to moderate.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Alright, so, we told Rick about this lag problem, he's told his server guy. We'll have this fixed, "Soon," but thus far Rick hasn't heard anything back yet.

We all know how soon, "soon" can be, so it might take some time. We'll let you guys know.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Buckdida wrote:Alright, so, we told Rick about this lag problem, he's told his server guy. We'll have this fixed, "Soon," but thus far Rick hasn't heard anything back yet.

We all know how soon, "soon" can be, so it might take some time. We'll let you guys know.

Soon xD
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

44R0NM10 wrote:I hate to say it...but you've just given excuses as to why it's not the global mods fault for not being online as much.

I'm just saying I see no reason why it wouldn't be more convenient to promote somebody. I mean, even if it's not really needed, it would still be a nice precaution. (and, to Diss'on, shouldn't it be the forum mods that back the global mods up? Since the global mods have more authority, then I think so.)
although i'm no expert when it comes to forums (God forbid), i would consider in my book a fair rule that there should be at least 5 mods on a forum to cover things at the least. 10 if you really think it's necessary.

I know there's been a great deal of issues with people somehow not noticing lately how this comic is to the community, but one of the problems i think is despite how clear the website's design is intended, some people are just not getting the message hard enough i believe. part of the reason could be because of how the comic is being advertised or maybe it's being referenced by the more maturer comic forums.

My suggestion if it's possible is give the commenters a nice notification everytime they try to post or reply to a comment about how Rick or the website expects the comments to be. A similar rule could also be put on the forums also for newcomers everytime they log in, hopefully by that period of time they eventually learn.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Report buttons are your friend.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Kyderra wrote:Report buttons are your friend.
Additionally, I've been posting comment guidelines on recent comics. If you want to report a comment, you can PM me.

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Dissension wrote:
Kyderra wrote:Report buttons are your friend.
Additionally, I've been posting comment guidelines on recent comics. If you want to report a comment, you can PM me.
Or me, or Foxstar, or Rick; all of us moderate the front page comments.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

I suppose this isn't technically site feedback or a suggestion, but it seems like the best place to ask. On the list of global moderators, there is one person named inaki. They have exactly one post, and haven't logged on since 2008.

So... what's up with that?
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:I suppose this isn't technically site feedback or a suggestion, but it seems like the best place to ask. On the list of global moderators, there is one person named inaki. They have exactly one post, and haven't logged on since 2008.

So... what's up with that?
I've noticed this, too. I don't really see the point of having a completely inactive moderator...
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

inaki is our server guy. Technical support, if you will.

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

You'll forgive my double post, but it's been about 20 months since the last post. Anybody have suggestions or feedback for us?