An Adventure for the Ages

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Cwitt

Re: An Adventure for the Ages

Post by Cwitt »

Yay! An update and a spy kids 2 reference!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

And they are finally starting to meet up. Hooray!

Great update Naylorfan! Very funny! I can't wait to see what you do next...

James Bond... :lol:
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
valerio

Post by valerio »

And now, ladies and gentlefurs, things are getting interesting! (Also, nice lolling chapter!)
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Cwitt wrote:Yay! An update and a spy kids 2 reference!
Thanks, I was wondering how many people would catch that! :lol:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

copper wrote:And they are finally starting to meet up. Hooray!

Great update Naylorfan! Very funny! I can't wait to see what you do next...

James Bond... :lol:
Hehe, it was a lot harder than you would expect to get those titles right. XD

And as for them starting to meet up...well, we'll see, we'll see. ;)
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

valerio wrote:And now, ladies and gentlefurs, things are getting interesting! (Also, nice lolling chapter!)
Only now getting interesting? :cry: lol nah, just kidding. :P Glad ya liked it! i have an especially action and humor-packed update coming next time!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

naylorfan90 wrote:
valerio wrote:And now, ladies and gentlefurs, things are getting interesting! (Also, nice lolling chapter!)
Only now getting interesting? :cry: lol nah, just kidding. :P Glad ya liked it! i have an especially action and humor-packed update coming next time!

Oooh! Something to look forward too. Can't wait!
My characters
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Ooh, I almost missed this while I was away at the weekend... :o Great update! I have to wonder if that is really King though, they seemed to be elsewhere last time we saw Peanut, Fido and him. Also where did you get the idea for them to fall on those sacks? I remember a popular webcomic doing something similar once, but with pillows... :roll:
"I watch ponies now! Ponies are cool!"

Darien Shephard - SP - S-4 P-9 E-3 C-8 I-10 A-2 L-6
Dusk Roscoe - YF - S-4 P-7 E-7 C-5 I-5 A-8 L-6
Roxanne Cooper - BPS - S-4 P-6 E-4 C-7 I-8 A-7 L-6
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The Broken Fox wrote:Ooh, I almost missed this while I was away at the weekend... :o Great update! I have to wonder if that is really King though, they seemed to be elsewhere last time we saw Peanut, Fido and him. Also where did you get the idea for them to fall on those sacks? I remember a popular webcomic doing something similar once, but with pillows... :roll:
Mmmmaybe it's King, maybe it isn't. :twisted: You'll have to wait until the next update to find out! :P And as for the sacks...um...they were the only thing to come to mind. :oops:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

[I would just like to apologize for taking so long with the next update. I've been kinda caught up with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic lately...specifically, a fanfic for it, hehe. :oops: ]
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

It's fine, Naylorfan. As long as you haven't forgotten about this piece of awesomeness, I don't mind waiting.
My characters
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

A/N: This isn't the complete update I had planned, but the rest was taking so long, and I didn't want to make y'all wait any longer, so I cut it in half. No idea when you can expect the rest, hope you enjoy this...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peanut stood on the edge of the mountaintop, looking down at the medieval fortress situated in the volcanic crater below. Through leveling he now wore leather spaulders and vambraces on his forearms and shoulders, along with a single piece of leather back armor that held a sheath for his disc. To his left stood Fido, a hand-and-a-half sword strapped to his right side and a light brown cape billowing out to his left in the wind. He wore heavier metal vambraces spaulders he wore the larger pauldrons, along with metal greaves. To Peanut’s right stood King. He wore no armor.

“So guys,” Peanut spoke. “What do you think?”

“Hmm...” Stepping in-between Peanut and Fido and a bit forward, King held an arm out, palm forward. In front of him materialized a blue portal roughly the size of a dinner plate. Looking through it presented a 2X magnification of wherever it was pointed at. “There are 13...no, 14 guards on the walls. I think they’re snow leopards with crossbows.”

“Sounds dangerous. Against this white snow we stick out like sore thumbs.” Fido looked over at Peanut. “Any ideas on how to get in?”

“...” Peanut got into his thinking position, eyes scanning over the fortress, soaking up every detail. “Well, I-” Peanut’s attention was caught by the sight of the fortress’s massive gate (which all fortresses have) opening up for a small patrol of soldiers to leave. Peanut grinned and snapped his fingers. “I’ve got it. See that patrol? We’ll ambush them , take their uniforms, and just waltz in through the front door!”

King focused his magnification circle on the patrol and sighed. “That’s not gonna work, there are only two soldiers. Beside, I’m way too small to fit into those uniforms; the soldiers would never believe I’m a soldier...” An unexpected silence came from his two companions, making the corgi flick an ear and frown. “What, nothing? No sighs, no proclamations that I can just stay here and provide moral support, no-”

He turned to see both Peanut and Fido smirking down at him. His ears went down as he realized what they planned to do. “Oh darn it...”

“Hey.”

Private Driff looked over at the canine soldier beside him, Private Simon. “Hm?”

“Ever wonder why we’re here?”

The otter soldier frowned and looked around them at the snow-covered rocks. “I suppose that’s one of life’s greatest mysteries, isn’t it. Why are we here? Are we the product of some cosmic coincidence, or is there a god? You know...with a plan for us and stuff? I don’t know man...but it keeps me up at night.”

Simon stayed silent a moment, and then “What? I meant why are we out here, on this mountain!?”
“Oh...”

“What was all that stuff about God?”

“Uh...nothing.”

The dog soldier huffed and continued walking. “No really though, why are we here? The weather is absolutely horrible, we never see the sun through the clouds, and we can’t even easily reach the towns around the bottom of the mountain that we’re supposed to be ruling!”

“Heh, no duh, that’s why guys like us should be running the kingdom. If we were in charge, things would be way different. Right Simon? Simon?” Driff turned to look over at where Simon was supposed to be, only to find an unfamiliar dog with a disc standing over Simon’s collapsed form.

Driff gulped. “Um...can I just pretend that you knocked me unconscious?”

“This is so not going to work,” King muttered as they approached the fortress gate. Behind him, disguised in the armor they took from the two soldiers, Peanut and Fido shared a look as they mimed jabbing their spears into the corgi’s back.

“Hey, listen!” Peanut whispered to them. “Dressing up in guard armor always works in video games. Until it’s time to fight our way out, in which case everyone will automatically know we’re not real guards.”

“Please don’t jinx us, Peanut.”

Fido waved up at the soldiers stationed atop the fortress wall and called out once they were close enough. “Oi! We uh, found this mysterious stranger wandering around and-”

“Whatyougoingonabout?” the guard yelled down to them. “Aren’t all strangers mysterious?”

Fido, Peanut, and King all shared a look, and then Fido looked back up at the soldier looking down at them. “Well I suppose, but isn’t that a bit off-topic? We have a stranger here!”

“...look, if it was a person you knew, i.e. not a stranger, than they couldn’t very well be mysterious could they? So it follows that someone not mysterious can’t be a stranger! You’re whole statement just doesn’t make any logical sense mate!”

“Will you shut up about that and let us in!?”

Another soldier suddenly joined the first. “And wait a tic, what’s a corgi doing in a subarctic climate, they’re temperate animals!”

Fido, Peanut and King shared another look, and then Peanut took over the talking. “Well...he could have immigrated...”

“What, to this country,” the first soldier shouted. “Is he mad!?”

Suddenly the second soldier hit the first on the shoulder. “Oi, shut up! The King’ll have yer head for a remark like that!”

“Oi, don’t hit me like that! Acts of aggression against fellow soldiers will get you a night in the dungeons they will!”

“Oi!”

“Oi!”

“Oi!”

“THAT’S IT!” King growled, snapping the ropes holding his wrists with a simple tug. “Enough stupidity, everyone dies!” Before Peanut or Fido could stop him King opened a portal and jumped through it, reappearing right above the pair of dumbfounded soldiers on the wall and kicking them both over it. Turning King then cut through the rope controlling the gate with another portal, and it promptly fell backwards onto three more soldiers.

Peanut and Fido threw off their guard disguises and ran over the fallen gate into the courtyard. King popped out from a portal next to them, quickly going into a three-way back to back as soldiers poured out from passageways lining the courtyard. The armored soldiers, mostly dogs and cats, formed a circle around the trio several rows deep, and up above more soldiers lined the battlements and walls. Sound filled the air was dozens of arrows were nocked and strings were pulled back.

“See, this is why sneaking in was the preferred choice” Peanut mumbled as he drew his disc and got into a throwing stance.

Before he could throw however King stopped him with an upraised paw. “Wait, I think I’ve got this. Just both of you, kneel down...” Peanut and Fido followed his instruction, as King raised his paws to the air and focused. Above them a massive portal opened, larger than any King had created before. His whole body shook from the exertion, his teeth grinding together as he tried to do more than hold the power construct together, but shape it to his will.

A shout rang out as the enemy commander ordered fire, and suddenly a swarm of barbed arrows were flying through the air at Peanut, Fido, and King. At the last moment King screamed and threw his arms down to the frost-cracked ground, and with them the circular edge of the portal followed, forming around the trio a half circle that completely blocked them from view of the surrounding soldiers.

Every arrow fired disappeared into the “teleport bubble”, and once they were all through King dropped it and dropped to his knees, panting hard and holding his chest with one paw. Before the captain could order another volley King opened a portal over the palm of his free paw and swiped it out in an arc, releasing the arrows back at the soldiers in rapid-fire. A good half of the surrounding group was dropped by the barrage, while the rest broke rank and either fled deeper into the castle or made a mad charge at the trio. These were dealt with easily by Fido and Peanut.

After a moment the arrows ran out, and King tiredly dropped the upraised paw to his side. His breathing came in ragged gasps. Peanut dropped down to his side and placed a paw on his back. “King, you okay? You don’t look that good...”

King was silent at first, before looking up at Peanut and forcing a grin. “Don’t worry about me, I’m fu, fine. Just never...did anything like that...before...”

Fido, watching their collective backs for any attacks, joined in the conversation with a slight nudge at Peanut with his foot. “Moving on from that insanely cool display of awesomeness King just did, we have to move forward before the remaining soldiers can regroup and fortify themselves deeper in the fortress.”

“But look at King! He’s too worn out from that thing he did! He needs a few minutes to recover, at least!” Peanut patted King on the head and stood up, turning to face Fido. “Why don’t you stay here and watch over him, while I go on ahead to wherever it is we need to go?”

Fido frowned and shook his head. “No, absolutely not. We need to stick together if we want to make it through this, and you running off ahead like a darned fool won’t help anything.”

“But I can do this!” Peanut nearly shouted this, taking a step closer to the bigger dog. “Come on, I’m the fasted and most agile, plus the most video game knowledgeable! I’d have the best chance of making it!”

Fido got right up into Peanut’s face, baring his teeth. “Peanut, I’m telling you to STAY HERE. If anyone goes it’ll be-hey wait! PEANUT!”

But Peanut had already run off, passing through the nearest, biggest doorway. Before Fido could move to follow the doors slammed shut, cutting them off from him. Fido swore and turned to look down at King. “As soon as you can, make a portal. We’ve got to follow him."

In his mind, Fido said Oh Sabrina, tell me you didn't tell him about Grape...
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

I love the part with the 2 soldiers! Oh RvB, how I love you. Well, I loved all of it, but that part the most. Keep up the good work!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

I have no idea what's going on, but this is too awesome for me not be commenting on it. :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find out what what's going on. To the first page, away!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Very good update, Naylor. King is good. Peanut sure wants to prove himself, or save grape. Not sure which it is right now.

Epic. That's the only word to describe this story so far...
My characters
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Thanks Copper, glad you feel that way. ^_^
Kondog

Post by Kondog »

This is indeed EPIC! I love Kings portal powers its so unique!
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

you know what would be awsome? If King fought Glad0s!
I wonder what Peanut finds in the fortress.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Suspicious stranger is suspicious...
And King FTW! Another appreciated epic update! :D :D
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

*meeps shyly from all the praise*
valerio

Post by valerio »

Hey, when they're well-deserved, you should grab them by the handfuls! :lol:
The Moon Howler

Post by The Moon Howler »

Awesome comic! and two soldiers remind me of the two pairs of knuckleheads in Pirates of Caribbean :D Keep up the good work!

But i wonder what classes are Fox, Max and Grape?
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

Housepets: Silver the Cat! fanfic

My RP Characters
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sindorei wrote:Awesome comic! and two soldiers remind me of the two pairs of knuckleheads in Pirates of Caribbean :D Keep up the good work!

But i wonder what classes are Fox, Max and Grape?
Wow, I hadn't even thought about those two! o_O

As for Fox, Max, and Grape, well, looking back now I guess I didn't really explain it in the story well. The different areas the characters are in are representative of different types of video games. Fido, King, and Peanut are all in an rpg-like world, but Max and Fox are in a world closer to, say, Tomb Raider or Drake's Fortune.

And as for Grape and Velon? Well, this may be going into slight spoiler territory, but the ships they were on were not native to the overarching dreamworld. :twisted:
The Moon Howler

So i see, but reading through your fan-fic makes me to change my ideas, for it to NOT copy the Tron idea (at the least) ... so please don't use "Moon-glaive" anywhere ... :D
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

My RP Characters
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I am saddened that I will never be able to use the awesome "Moon-glaive" anywhere, for it is awesome sounding, but I will do as you ask.
Cory

Post by Cory »

Driff and Simon ahahaha I GET IT! Red vs Blue AND Monty Python in the SAME CHAPTER! You, sir, have made my day!

So, just a bit of speculation, Grape is stuck in Space Laser's realm, Fido, Peanut and King are in Deathaxe's realm, and Fox & Max are in...the other...cub's... realm... Am I close? :lol:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Cory wrote:Driff and Simon ahahaha I GET IT! Red vs Blue AND Monty Python in the SAME CHAPTER! You, sir, have made my day!

So, just a bit of speculation, Grape is stuck in Space Laser's realm, Fido, Peanut and King are in Deathaxe's realm, and Fox & Max are in...the other...cub's... realm... Am I close? :lol:
Hehe, indeed, some woul call me MAD to mix RvB and Monty Python, but I showed them! I showed them all! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Oh and uh...sure, we'll go with that.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Um, I'm terribly sorry to inconvenience all of you like this, but I simply can't work on this story right now. I'm failing two classes, and the work just keeps piling up. I hope all of you can forgive me for calling it quits until the summer, but I'll understand if you don't...
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

It's fine, Naylorfan. Just focus on what's important. Your story is epic awesomeness. We can wait for as long as it takes for you to right those grades. I will anxiously await your return this June, though! ;)
My characters
The Moon Howler

Don't rush naylor, take your time, pass them classes. grades are indeed troublesome sometimes, aren't they? :D

My RP Characters
Cory

Post by Cory »

I understand how that goes (flunking calc) Good luck on getting it all sorted out. ;) I'll be patiently waiting until summer 8-)