Indagare's Gazetteer of the Weird and Supernatural

Discuss the comic here
Indagare

Indagare's Gazetteer of the Weird and Supernatural

Post by Indagare »

Welcome to my domain, travelers! I'm Tarot... er wait...

Okay, so I'm not Tarot, but I have noticed that some of the newer folks to the comic may be a bit confused by the occasionally odd going-ons.

I suppose that I really ought to get the bad news out first: this is a comic strip. No matter how attached you may become to the scenario or characters, they aren't real. Rick decides what is or is not cannon and disliking the way the strip is going because you can't handle it isn't going to stop it. :geek:

That out of the way, I decided to compile a list of the arcs involving things even stranger than a pumpkin being sliced like a ham.

Telepathy
Telepathy was established in The Zoo arc where dolphins communicate through it. It's shown again in Theme Park World but is also mentioned by Grape when talking to King.

Psychic Powers
Tarot doesn't first appear until near the end of the N-ple Date arc, but almost immediately starts showing signs of power. How much of this is her own and how much comes from the spirits (particularly Dragon) has yet to be established. She is later shown using mental projection in Imaginate Too though, again, whether this is her native power or something borrowed from Dragon or some combo is hard to tell. King, at least, seems to find Tarot having psychic powers a perfectly reasonable explanation, meaning that psychic powers are known to be real on this world.

We later see Sabrina using a Ouija board to contact an entity known as Spookmaster in Scardey Cats and that entity (or a representative) essentially stuffing Max in the Paraphernalia Wagon.

Pete, Dragon, and Kitsune
Pete was actually first introduced way back in The Grove arc. We're given a hint that the dream Grape had may not have been such by the feather at the end of the arc. Of course, in Oops I Arced we find out that Pete is indeed real and that the majority of the dream revealed to Grape was accurate.

Pete shows up again in It's a Wonderful Dog's Life where he changes Joel to King and forces the poor guy to live with him.

In about four or five strips from the end of N-ple Date we are first introduced to Tarot and her strange abilities. It's not until Dog Days of Summer, however, that it's revealed that Tarot is an avatar for Dragon (Spirit Dragon, that is) and that she, Pete and Kitsune are all playing a game of U&U that involves Babylon Gardens as the focus (likely because Pete's temple was moved there). This leads in nicely to We're Snowed In where we see Dragon fighting a Frost Giant.

Of course, this will be updated as more information becomes available.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
IceKitsune

Re: Indagare's Gazetteer of the Weird and Supernatural

Post by IceKitsune »

Indagare wrote:King, at least, seems to find Tarot having psychic powers a perfectly reasonable explanation, meaning that psychic powers are known to be real on this world.
Actually the reason King doesn't have a problem with that is because he was living with Pete and was turned into a Dog by him so magic isn't weird to him. It doesn't imply that normal people know that magic exists in the world; however admittedly it could imply that too but I think that is too much of a stretch.
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

IceKitsune wrote:Actually the reason King doesn't have a problem with that is because he was living with Pete and was turned into a Dog by him so magic isn't weird to him. It doesn't imply that normal people know that magic exists in the world; however admittedly it could imply that too but I think that is too much of a stretch.
It's hard to tell either way right now, but that's why I put it under psychic powers rather than magic; it is established that dolphin telepathy is considered 'normal', so it really wouldn't be that far of a stretch to imagine other creatures might develop or be able to be trained in it too. I think that normal people might know 'psychic powers' are real even if they don't believe in/acknowledge 'magic'.

And while it's true that King has a much broader perspective on the subject of magic, it's not yet been mentioned outside of the arcs I mentioned above. Frankly I would have thought people would still be discussing Pete's escape. I mean unless he did a whammy on them all this ought to have people still wondering what happened but, much like a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment, none of the humans ever mention it again.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

ignore the walking, talking animals

that is completely normal

cats and dogs, living together

in love

I mean, what
ImageImage
ImageImage
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Don't forget King had one orange soda before talking to Grape.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Let's keep this on topic. Sinder gets a pass this one time, next time it's the Gullmon for you.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I just felt like i should throw in something related to this topic to give it some more interesting tidbits.

One thing i was thinking of recently is there's a possibility that the Supernatural are actually more common in this universe than we think, but are so frequently in touch that some or maybe most characters are accepting it exists on a casual basis. One reason i thought about this is because Max and Grape are involved, who are actually the only two characters so far that have pointed out that this stuff is too weird.

Though that's not to say there's always people like Tarot around. it's more along the lines of that the supernatural maybe attempting to hide that fact from the real world that they exist for various reasons, one possilibity is to keep things they way they are b ecause they enjoy it. Who knows, maybe the supernatural love being casual =P
Foxstar wrote:Let's keep this on topic. Sinder gets a pass this one time, next time it's the Gullmon for you.
Guilmon :D
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Foxstar wrote:Let's keep this on topic. Sinder gets a pass this one time, next time it's the Gullmon for you.
is that like a mix between Guilmon, a guillotine and me?
I'd watch out if I where you Sinder...

==========

As long as Rick will not introduce aliens (like Steven Spielberg did) I have no issue's with the supernatural in the comic.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Kyderra wrote:
is that like a mix between Guilmon, a guillotine and me?
I'd watch out if I where you Sinder...

==========

As long as Rick will not introduce aliens (like Steven Spielberg did) I have no issue's with the supernatural in the comic.
I should have just said your name, ack.