DnD 3.5 Character Creation!

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Flamboyant-Pencil

DnD 3.5 Character Creation!

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Character sheet is the Revised 3.5 version found on a PDF here. Change of plan! Look down in the thread to find the new link.

If you guys don't mind we'll be using a stat variation suggested by Djinn. If you guys would rather use the traditional method, speak up! If half of you vote against this variation we'll go about rolling the normal way.

All stats start at 10, or whatever they would be after class and race bonuses and penalties (-2 would start at 8, +1 would start at 11, etc.,). You have 26 extra points to spend on each ability, costing one point per point up until 15. Everything past 15 is a two point buy, and to go from 17 to 18 or above is a three point buy each.

If you guys need any help feel free to ask, either in the thread, in the IRC, or through PM!

RACE/CLASS DECISIONS:
Keep in mind that until the game starts you can change your mind at any time
  • Djinn: Derla, a Human Dragon Totem Barbarian
    Argent_Flame: Madura, a Kenku Rogue
    Dylan: Torel, a Dwarf Cleric
    EchoFireant: Vindir, a Wood Elf Ranger
    Jimmy_Jazz: Tolik, a Half-Elf Bard
    TehBrawler: Duranthai, an Elf Paladin
Looks like a pretty elvish bunch :v
Last edited by Flamboyant-Pencil on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Djinn

Re: DnD 3.5 Character Creation!

Post by Djinn »

That was not exactly the system I was trying to suggest, but that one works as well. Is it possible to take points away and have one below 10?
Djinn: S-5 P-7 E-6 C-5 I-7 A-10 L-2
Glory: S-4 P-6 E-7 C-5 I-5 A-6 L-5
Flamboyant-Pencil

Yes, going below 10 in one attribute for extra points in another ability is fine :B

Also, reflavouring (Changing the name or non-gameplay description of something - calling a class or race something different when applied to your character, such as Djinn's character "Meditating" rather than entering a "rage" while they're using the Whirling Frenzy variant feat (Found here) -is an option as long as it's mostly for roleplay and doesn't affect the mechanics.

Also also, you'll be shopping for your starter equipment with your starter money (which is around 100 gold coins on average give or take 50 for everyone). If any information you guys need isn't in the SRD, tell me so I can fish it out of the core rulebooks I have on my desk.
Last edited by Ebly on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

YEESH the character sheet is convoluted. No wonder MMOs are more popular.
I'm going with an Elven Paladin. However, for specifics, I'm going to have to do more research, so I'll get back to you on that.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Djinn

Post by Djinn »

I know how to build paladins if you would like some help sometime Brawly. The way I do it makes it so smiting evil is just icing on the cake when you can do it.

Pencil, so far I have 1 feat from Complete Warrior and I plan on taking a prestige class from Complete Adventurer, details are edited into my forum character sheet.
Flamboyant-Pencil

So guys! We're going to be using this site's editable sheet for your characters, which is saved to my account (Which I will share with you guys, the password is peanut in all lower case. No, its not my password for any other places, so don't even try :B) This is because I'm not 100% sure about the legality of scanning the sheet from the book for you guys, and because even if I could, I just know it would have been a royal pain filling it out as a jpeg or something. A lot of the sheet is self calculating, which speeds up the process considerably.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=186901 Here is an example character and an explanation of how it was made, cos I now you guys have questions on the process.

The first grouping is pretty self explanatory, except for the deity part. If your character would have any allegiance to a god or a goddess, find one that matches his or her belief system and alignment off of the Core Deities section of this Wikipedia article. Vecna is also acceptable. Here I selected my goddess choice mostly at random, finding whichever one liked magic and was my alignment.

Now to walk through the ability score process. I went by the information on this page of the SRD, for reference.

"-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution."

Holy shoot, -4 Strength. Well, as a wizard I'll mostly be out of the front lines so that shouldn't be too bad.

S 6
D 12
C 8
I 10
W 10
CH 10
26 points left to use

As a wizard the most important abilities for me will be Constitution (Being a squishy wizard, hit dice are low, so a high con, if not evens it out, at least gives you a couple more points per level), and Intelligence for spell casting.

S 6
D 12
C 15 (7 spent)
I 17 (9 spent)
W 10
CH 10
10 points left to use

So right there I'm more than half out of spending points, but due to my +2 Constitution mod I'll be getting an additional 2 HP per level (minimum of 3). I can raise this to +3 (4 per level minimum) once I level up sufficiently and can add a point to constitution. Also because of my intelligence I can cast up to level 7 spells, once I've leveled up enough to cast learn them. Now that I've raised my most important stats to adequacy I can focus on the less important, yet still vital abilities.

S 10 (4 spent)
D 14 (2 spent)
C 15
I 17
W 12 (2 spent)
CH 12 (2 spent)
0 points left to spend

To keep me from having a major strike against me on the chance I get ambushed, separated from my party or otherwise need to rely on physical strength I bumped my strength from 6 to 10. No bonus, but no -2 penalty either. Dexterity being a factor in your armour class rating, I spent 2 points there to give me a total bonus of +2, which will probably save my skin many times down the road, as will the +2 to Reflex saves. I spent two points on Wisdom for the +1 mod to Will saves, and also for the +1 mod to important skill checks like Listen, Heal, Spot, and Sense Motive. Anticipating a roleplay heavy campaign I added my last 2 points to my Charisma, which effects many NPC interaction based skills. In the end my stats end up looking like this, with the mods:

Str: 10
Dex: 14, +2 bonus
Con: 15, +2 bonus
Int: 17, +3 bonus
Wis: 12, +1 bonus
Cha: 12, +1 bonus

For hit points, you start first level with the max. This means acting like I rolled a 4 on the measly d4 that I get as a hit die. Add to that my Con modifier, +2. Your Armor class is calculated for you, but be sure to apply everything needed. If I didn't read carefully I would have missed that Kobolds have a +1 to AC due to a natural armor bonus. This editable sheet applied my Dex and size mod automatically, however.

A note about Touch and Flat Footed AC. A character's Touch AC comes into play when an attack on them disregards armor, including shields and natural armor bonuses. All other bonuses apply. A character's Flat Footed AC comes into play when he or she is caught by surprise by an attack. The Dex modifier does not apply, but all others do. Again the sheet calculates all of this on its own based on your normal AC.

My Fort, Ref and Will saves are all modified by their respective abilities. being a wizard, I add a 2 to my base Will save, since that's what I get first level. As I progress this and the other base saves will be increased.

As a kobold my base speed is 30 feet per turn.

Both Melee and Ranged attack bonuses I don't have to worry about. Wizards have a base attack bonus of 0 at first level. However other classes should be sure to add their bonus.

For my weapon, we'll assume I have one dagger and one quarterstaff on my person. Being a small creature, the damage for my weapons are not the same as the damage done by medium sized weapons. My dagger only does 1d3 rather than 1d4, and the quarterstaff only does 1d4 on either end instead of 1d6.

The 19-20 critical on the dagger means that if I threaten a critical hit with a natural roll (Meaning gotten without modifiers) of 19 and higher, rather than 20. I then roll again, and if the new roll beats my target's armor class, it's a critical hit, and the damage is multiplied by 2. If not, the hit is normal.

The 1D4/1D4 damage for the quarterstaff means the weapon is double ended.

Now comes armour. If I were actually playing as a wizard I'd skimp on the armour, but I'll include to to give an explanation of its effects on spellcasters. Since I'm wearing padded armour, my movement is restricted and my spells now have a 5% chance of failing the spell if it has a somatic component. If movement isn't required this can be ignored, and Bards, being proficient in light armours, ignore this unless they wear heavier armours.

Thankfully this sheet adds ability modifiers to your skills on its own, which saves a lot of time. Now we can skip to adding skill ranks. At first level the amount of skill points a wizard gets is (2 + Int Mod) X 4. This gives me 20 skill points to distribute. I add 4 ranks, the maximum for me at first level, to each of the skills I want to raise. You'll notice I have misc mods for Profession (Miner), Craft (Trapmaking) and search, as well as Hide. The first three are due to racial traits, and the last is due to my size.

Special abilities and feats. For easy reference I added my racial traits to this as well. Kobolds are sensitive to light, but at the same time have darkvision for 60 ft. As a wizard, I also get the feat Scribe scroll, which allows me to create scrolls of spells I know, as a bonus, as well as Summon Familiar.

For my first level feat I chose Deceitful, which gives a bonus of +2 to Disguise and Forgery checks.

Now for spells. I chose the Illusion school to specialize in (Completely optional, you can be a non-specializing wizard if you want), which grants me +1 illusion spell per level and +2 on Spellcraft checks when learning a new Illusion spell. On the other hand however I am forced to choose two schools of magic I cannot learn from. I chose Transmutation and Necromancy.

To learn or cast a spell, your intelligence must be equal to 10 + the level of the spell.

A wizard can know any number of spells, unlike other Spellcasters. However, they must prepare their spells by studying them for one hour from their spellbook, as well as getting some shut eye beforehand. The spells I chose to prepare were Detect Magic and Read Magic, two important spells for any dungeon crawler, and Ventriloquism and Ghost Sounds, as I want my character to be a trickstery type.

The save against a wizard's spell is 10 + the level of the spell + his intelligence mod.

I won't bother giving him any items or cash, but keep in mind that currency is converted as follows:

1 platinum piece = 10 gold pieces = 100 silver pieces = 1000 copper pieces.

Kobolds automatically know how to speak Draconic. Because I have a +3 int mod, I can learn three additional languages on top of that, and here I chose Common (Which is the most common language in the lands above ground as you would imagine), Undercommon (The most common language of the races who live under the earth) and Goblin, which could prove useful down the line. Every class except Barbarians are literate and can read and write in any language they know. Barbarians must spend 2 skill points to become literate like the other classes.

The rest of the sheet is just roleplay fodder and conditional modifier space.

EDIT: OHFORGOTTOMENTION Wizards start off with a spell book containing all level 0 spells, or "Cantrips". This isn't the same for all spellcasters
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Pencil wrote:Character sheet explanation
Tanku buddeh :3
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Yes, very helpful, I am pretty sure I have everything I need...
Make Pasta not war.
ArgentFlame

Post by ArgentFlame »

So here's my character sheet, hope I got everything I need.
Del S2 P6 E2 C5 I10 A8 L3
Sean S6 P5 E10 C3 I6 A6 L6
Bastion S5 P6 E4 C8 I5 A10 L4
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Make Pasta not war.
EchoFireant

Post by EchoFireant »

Mine :3

If there are any mistakes please point it out :mrgreen:

Pet Friendly, Marshall : S-7 P-7 E-7 C-4 I-5 A-7 L-5
Pet Friendly, Natalia : S-4 P-7 E-5 C-9 I-7 A-5 L-5
Djinn

Post by Djinn »

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... tid=186963 Here is Derla, I will have to remember to modify the bonus on cross class skills because the way it works is I wrote down as many ranks as I put into it, but because they're cross class they won't give the same bonus. This is important for my prestige class.
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

I finished this last night but forgot to post it, it's around here somewhere.

I couldn't figure out how to do view only, Blegh, so sue me.

what what? Jolly good time.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:I finished this last night but forgot to post it, it's around here somewhere.

I couldn't figure out how to do view only, Blegh, so sue me.
You forgot a few things, like feats, skills and spells.
Make Pasta not war.
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Blarg, I'll go fix them.

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Here's mine.
I'm not sure if it's complete or correct, so please point out anything that needs editing.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Teh, your hp is 13 and one modifier is wrong.

Plus you need to buy items, skills, possessions and memorize spells.
Make Pasta not war.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Dylan wrote:Teh, your hp is 13 and one modifier is wrong.

Wait, then what's the decision on money? I thought we were rolling for that and buying possessions in-game.

EDIT: And how many spells are we allowed to learn, anyways?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Dylan wrote:Teh, your hp is 13 and one modifier is wrong.

Wait, then what's the decision on money? I thought we were rolling for that and buying possessions in-game.

EDIT: And how many spells are we allowed to learn, anyways?

None right now, until 4th level.

As for money...Ask Pencil
Make Pasta not war.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ok, that should take care of everything but weapons, armor, and possessions, unless I didn't get that modifier right.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Teh Brawler wrote:Ok, that should take care of everything but weapons, armor, and possessions, unless I didn't get that modifier right.
You still need your skills, which is 2+int modifer x4
Make Pasta not war.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ok, NOW it should be taken care of. I got armor and weapons taken care of, but I spent all of my money in the process, so possessions are null. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Actually, you don't have any spells yet.
Make Pasta not war.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Dylan wrote:Actually, you don't have any spells yet.
There.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Djinn

Post by Djinn »

You still need a feat.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Djinn wrote:You still need a feat.
Alright, that should take care of feats. If I have too many, please tell me, as I couldn't find a description on the limit of feats you could put in the SRD.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Djinn wrote:You still need a feat.
Alright, that should take care of feats. If I have too many, please tell me, as I couldn't find a description on the limit of feats you could put in the SRD.
I think it is only one feat, but you should go ahead and ask pencil.
Make Pasta not war.
Djinn

Post by Djinn »

For an elf paladin? Yes, only one feat.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Djinn wrote:For an elf paladin? Yes, only one feat.
Ok, I took off all but one. GOOD TO GO! :D
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
EchoFireant

Post by EchoFireant »

and I'm back =)

Flamboyant-Pencil

Okay guys, last thing I want you guises to do is determine who's traveling with who at the beginning of the game, if your character would be traveling with someone. It's okay if you want yours to have started out a loner, but it'd be easier if some of your characters knew eachother beforehand. The intro quest is going to concern you guys bodyguarding something being transported from one city to another, if that helps you decide. I should be able to post the intro scenario and give you guys instructions for what to do next (It'll be something like me asking you how you get there and all, not me telling you how to go about the quest or something :B) in a few days, so keep your eyes peeled!

I should probably make a new thread for when I give the intro post, shouldn't I?
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

It looks like Echo and I are starting out together, so that's a start.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Djinn

Post by Djinn »

Dylan and I talked about starting together. Don't knw if he's still up for it.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Djinn wrote:Dylan and I talked about starting together. Don't knw if he's still up for it.
Still am!
Make Pasta not war.
ArgentFlame

Post by ArgentFlame »

I'd like to start with someone, would anyone care to have me?
Del S2 P6 E2 C5 I10 A8 L3
Sean S6 P5 E10 C3 I6 A6 L6
Bastion S5 P6 E4 C8 I5 A10 L4
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

My Character doesn't really seem like the type to be travelling with someone.

Sorry Argent, no companion for yoooou.... tilts head sideways as he puts emphasis on "you"

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Heh, the wood elf and the elf are traveling together. Amusing.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Cleric and a rouge are traveling together...even more!
Make Pasta not war.
Djinn

Post by Djinn »

With a barbarian too! This should be fun.
EchoFireant

Post by EchoFireant »

I'm there to hunt food for the paladin :D