Arc #39: We're Snowed In!

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Arc #39: We're Snowed In!

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

perhaps the future is not completely set in stone. Grape was the best choice for Peanut, but as soon as Grape chose Max, Tarot, being the next best thing, became the best choice until Grape decides to choose Peanut over Max.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:perhaps the future is not completely set in stone. Grape was the best choice for Peanut, but as soon as Grape chose Max, Tarot, being the next best thing, became the best choice until Grape decides to choose Peanut over Max.
Yes this I agree with.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

IceKitsune wrote:I see where you are coming from and I agree, but I think my agreement with that might be because we rarely ever see the two of them together let alone doing something romantic or being boyfriend/girlfriend all that much. And maybe that is the point, maybe we are suppose to take their relationship that way and that's why Rick never really shows them together.
I don't like to snark about these kinds of things--frankly, I feel strange enough about wanting to see a cartoon dog and cat get together as it is--but so long as we're talking about it anyway, this is one of the bigger problems that I have with Peanut and Tarot's relationship.

Nevermind that Tarot literally shows up out of nowhere, but we very rarely see her doing anything with Peanut that suggests they are involved. Their relationship is what TV Tropes calls an "informed attribute"; we are told that they are together, but we don't see that they are together. Max suffers from a little of this too, but in his defense, he and Grape actually do things together; they've been on a date, been to the movies, danced together, done Pridelands junk together, set up the haunted house together, and so on. Their relationship is highly visible, and something that is mentioned virtually every time Max appears.

In contrast, Peanut and Tarot don't do much of anything. Tarot has been a part of the strip for about a year and a half, and in most of her appearances, the emphasis of her character has been placed more upon her role as "crazy psychic" rather than "Peanut's girlfriend". In fact, there's only one strip after her initial appearance in which they seem to spend any time alone together. It all feels very forced, because it's not how we would expect two people who are ostensibly dating to behave. This is compounded by the fact that we know the Dragon has an attraction to Peanut, which calls into question whether Tarot actually feels the same way or not; while I believe the latter is intentional on Rick's part, as an element of drama, I'm not so certain about the former.
ImageImage
ImageImage
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sinder I agree completely with you that's basically all the problems I have with Peanut and Tarot as a couple, Max and Grape however do not suffer from any of these problems IMO; and as much as I want Peanut and Grape together I actually like Max&Grape somewhat. (I hope this discussion isn't getting to shippy don't want to get in trouble.)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sinder is right about the relationship with Peanut and Tarot, honestly. Though i really don't find too much wrong with the relationship other than maybe it's coming to the point where there needs to be more light on it soon.

I have to say though, i find the subtle nature of their relationship is really the charm. The difference between Max and Tarot simply put is Max is more active and Tarot is more subtle. Whether Tarot will evolve into a more casual person or start doing more active roles like Max and Grape do is something i'm waiting to see happen with given time.
Last edited by GameCobra on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

GameCobra wrote:Sinder is right about the relationship with Peanut and Tarot, honestly. Though i really don't find too much wrong with the relationship other than maybe it's coming to the point where there needs to be more light on it soon.

I have to say though, i find the subtle nature of their relationship is really the charm. The difference between Max and Tarot simply put is Max is more active and Tarot is more subtle. Whether Tarot will evolve into a more casual person or start doing more active roles like Max and Grape do is something i'm waiting to see happen with given time.
I get where your coming from, but there is subtle relationships, and then there is Peanut and Tarot which as I said basically nothing. You can have a Subtle relationship while still showing the people in it interacting and being romantic. At this point I really have a hard time believing they are in a relationship at all, and again maybe that is the point as I said before.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

IceKitsune wrote:I get where your coming from, but there is subtle relationships, and then there is Peanut and Tarot which as I said basically nothing. You can have a Subtle relationship while still showing the people in it interacting and being romantic. At this point I really have a hard time believing they are in a relationship at all, and again maybe that is the point as I said before.
I wouldn't mind some more hints as to what Tarot's standings in their relationship is a little myself. Although i think their relationship is still good, i sometimes feel also that i'm left on the edge wondering also if Tarot would simply drop him once she's done whatever the Dragon told her to do or if Tarot really has any serious feelings for him other than 'it's her duty', which is somewhat the most feeling I get from her. sure, she only does things with Peanut and teaches him about the spiritual things in life, but is it because she's told to or because she likes him? it's tough to say.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Guys, I am acutely aware that there has basically been no depicted mushy stuff whatsoever between Peanut and Tarot.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Just because we haven't seen mushy stuff between Peanut and Tarot, doesn't mean there hasn't been. Rick can't draw EVERYTHING that happens. ;3
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

rickgriffin wrote:Guys, I am acutely aware that there has basically been no depicted mushy stuff whatsoever between Peanut and Tarot.
So its intentional then, ok I thought it might have been.
Kitch wrote:Just because we haven't seen mushy stuff between Peanut and Tarot, doesn't mean there hasn't been. Rick can't draw EVERYTHING that happens. ;3
Ok but that makes it very hard (ie. Impossible for me at least) to believe that they really love each other because we never see it. However that now appears to be the point as I said before.
zeroslash

Post by zeroslash »

In this strip, Peanut and Tarot are seen in a cuddle, so I guess that constitutes as a mushy thing, I guess? I dunno.
Sinder wrote:So then Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

IceKitsune wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:Guys, I am acutely aware that there has basically been no depicted mushy stuff whatsoever between Peanut and Tarot.
That's not actually what Rick said. He said he is acutely aware there has been no depiction of "mushy stuff" between Peanut and Tarot, not that said lack is intentional. Is it possible he was reacting to the string of posts here that basically say that same thing over and over?
IceKitsune wrote:
Kitch wrote:Just because we haven't seen mushy stuff between Peanut and Tarot, doesn't mean there hasn't been. Rick can't draw EVERYTHING that happens. ;3
Ok but that makes it very hard (ie. Impossible for me at least) to believe that they really love each other because we never see it. However that now appears to be the point as I said before.
I daresay it's possible the reason we've not seen a lot of interaction between Peanut and Tarot (on the lines of lovey-dovey things) is that it's not been relevant to the plot thus far. You can't say that because we do not see every moment they spend together, they spend no time doing the same kinds of activities that Max and Grape do.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Dissension wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
That's not actually what Rick said. He said he is acutely aware there has been no depiction of "mushy stuff" between Peanut and Tarot, not that said lack is intentional. Is it possible he was reacting to the string of posts here that basically say that same thing over and over?
IceKitsune wrote:
I daresay it's possible the reason we've not seen a lot of interaction between Peanut and Tarot (on the lines of lovey-dovey things) is that it's not been relevant to the plot thus far. You can't say that because we do not see every moment they spend together, they spend no time doing the same kinds of activities that Max and Grape do.
I'm sorry that is how I interpret that, even if it was a general comment to everyone and if I'm wrong I'm sorry but I don't think I am.

Yeah because every arc since Tarot introduction has focused on the main plot of the comic (the several of them in fact.) and lets not even get started with one offs. If your saying that they don't lend them selves to good plot romantically then break them up and have Peanut get with some one else or be alone and unattached because its not like it would make a difference anyway. I'm not saying that I want every waking moment with them together depicted, just if your going to have them dating (which at this point I really don't think they are as I said.) have them go out on a date or something every once in a while. There were plenty of times he could have shown something and he didn't.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

There are plenty of times Rick could have shown lots of things and chose not to. I wouldn't attach special significance to that. The main focus of the comic is not the romantic relationships of the characters.

And really, it helps if you recite the MST3K Mantra.

IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Dissension wrote:There are plenty of times Rick could have shown lots of things and chose not to. I wouldn't attach special significance to that. The main focus of the comic is not the romantic relationships of the characters.

I don't really think the MST3K Mantra applies in this situation Diss and I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this whole thing.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

IceKitsune wrote:Yeah because every arc since Tarot introduction has focused on the main plot of the comic (the several of them in fact.) and lets not even get started with one offs. If your saying that they don't lend them selves to good plot romantically then break them up and have Peanut get with some one else or be alone and unattached because its not like it would make a difference anyway. I'm not saying that I want every waking moment with them together depicted, just if your going to have them dating (which at this point I really don't think they are as I said.) have them go out on a date or something every once in a while. There were plenty of times he could have shown something and he didn't.
Probably because they don't actively date. who knows? Or as Dissension mentioned, Rick hasn't had enough time to establish it yet, which was one of the things i always thought earlier myself. Whether we should know they date or not at this time sorta makes me think they do other romantic things than dating, but that again is just a speculation.

All i'm saying though is i'm certain there's a reason he established their relationship from day one. Give Rick more faith is all i ask =P
IceKitsune wrote:I don't really think the MST3K Mantra applies in this situation Diss and I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this whole thing.
Well, one thing you would have to consider though IceKitsune is that since it is a comic, there are ways that Rick can choose to establish somethings in his comic. whether it be straightforward or not is usually something the reader has to determine.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

IceKitsune wrote:
Dissension wrote:There are plenty of times Rick could have shown lots of things and chose not to. I wouldn't attach special significance to that. The main focus of the comic is not the romantic relationships of the characters.

I don't really think the MST3K Mantra applies in this situation Diss and I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this whole thing.
So it's not just a show and we shouldn't really just relax? :3

I'm pretty sure the MST3K Mantra always applies.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok, ok I guess it maybe sort of applies. However by this interpenetration of it,any plot hole (or anything really) can be covered by the Mantra leading to no way to criticize the comic at all. Personally I've only applied the Mantra to science, magic and maybe a few other problems myself it doesn't cover everything. Whatever I'm done with this discussion I think I've said everything I wanted to.

Edit: Clarified a few things
Last edited by IceKitsune on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

There is a full world in the comic, but we only get to see a few moments of it in a week, it's the tip of the iceberg. It's conceivable that this is just a plot element that hasn't found it's potential yet.

But also I can't say I've ever been bothered by a plot element in Housepets. As long as it stays enjoyable to read and fun to look at, I don't really care if something doesn't add up.
Image Image
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

"... now shut up."
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, pretty much. x3

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

If any mushy stuff happened between Peanut and Tarot it would probably break half the forum's hearts.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sinder wrote:"... now shut up."
=(
Dubiousity wrote:If any mushy stuff happened between Peanut and Tarot it would probably break half the forum's hearts.
Or the other way around! Though I bet it still won't stop the shipping @_@
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

GameCobra wrote:
Sinder wrote:"... now shut up."
=(
Dubiousity wrote:If any mushy stuff happened between Peanut and Tarot it would probably break half the forum's hearts.
Or the other way around! Though I bet it still won't stop the shipping @_@
well obviously
why would we stop shipping?
FlyAwayNow

Post by FlyAwayNow »

mariomarc wrote:
well obviously
why would we stop shipping?

When we get tired of it. Which will take a loooong time.
Que Lastima
Alex

Post by Alex »

You should leave shipping for writing fanfics and fancomics, fanart and such. Everything "fan". It won't happen in the comic.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Bino

Post by Bino »

It would certainly break mine
Bino wrote:I don't have any tricks up my sleeve right now that don't involve roleplaying... :x
So...... *kisses sleet* BOOM! I WIN!
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Am I alone here in saying that I really don't care either way?

>.>

<.<

*ducks*
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Next monday: Grape takes Imaginate! to a whole new level as payback ~ hanging Peanut over lava.
FlyAwayNow

Post by FlyAwayNow »

Personally, this comic is my little source of cute on the internet. So a little romance is okay with me.
Que Lastima
Alex

Post by Alex »

GameCobra wrote:Next monday: Grape takes Imaginate! to a whole new level as payback ~ hanging Peanut over lava.
Dropping him into the lava would be better.
Richarson Valley

Bino

Post by Bino »

Alex wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Next monday: Grape takes Imaginate! to a whole new level as payback ~ hanging Peanut over lava.
I think instead of peanut getting in trouble max will As soon as max gave her res' contact info i suspected max was making it up cuz grape was mad at him. So max is probably gonna get the fanfic himself and i think grape will somrhow find out
Bino wrote:I don't have any tricks up my sleeve right now that don't involve roleplaying... :x
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Bino wrote:
Alex wrote:
I think instead of peanut getting in trouble max will As soon as max gave her res' contact info i suspected max was making it up cuz grape was mad at him. So max is probably gonna get the fanfic himself and i think grape will somrhow find out
That should really be in the wild mass guessing topic. Plus I highly doubt that we will see what happens next anyway. Next is just going to be a one off week as usual and then we will get another arc.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Bino wrote:
Alex wrote:
Yeah, that's highly unlikely. Actually, it's impossible. Res gave Grape his number, so she called him, and heard his voice. It's his e-mail.
Richarson Valley

Bino

Post by Bino »

Oh right forgot about the phone #, i dont think itll be a one-off week though, didnt rick post on the comments of this comic that its the start of a new arc?
Immortel Shadow

Post by Immortel Shadow »

All I can say is that as usual Rick Griffin has made a great comic, in which every joke, random funny parts, and great story line has left me wanting to read what will happen next, I hope he does more of his comics, because he does a wonderful job with them. I look foward to what will happen next.
Housepets is the most awsome comic ever, and will always be my favourite.
A restless Night before hand, the cries of the Night truly a form of Natures significance over mankind, showing that not I nor man can comprehand the True form of Nature, and that form is the Wolf.
Written by Immortel Shadow.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

agreed.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Z-Zman

Post by Z-Zman »

agreed x 2

Elephants are too big to fit in the Bible
FlyAwayNow

Post by FlyAwayNow »

Agreed two and one half.
Que Lastima
IceKitsune