Earthquake!

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

The Broken Fox

Earthquake!

Post by The Broken Fox »

Today at 6:42 pm local time (~4 hours ago), a magnitude 4.7 earthquake hit northwest Hungary. Why do I mention it, you ask? I was sitting on top of it. Well, actually I live 10 km (~6 miles) form the epicenter, but let me tell you I felt this one! It was quite scary for a few seconds... Luckily, the biggest damage that happened was a few books falling from my shelves. Still, the whole building was shaking like crazy!

Some report on the quake:
http://earthquake-report.com/2011/01/29 ... t-hungary/

Google Maps! The label 'A' shows the epicenter, look for a town called Tatabánya to the north-east. That's where I live.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.5218+1 ... d&t=h&hl=e
"I watch ponies now! Ponies are cool!"

Darien Shephard - SP - S-4 P-9 E-3 C-8 I-10 A-2 L-6
Dusk Roscoe - YF - S-4 P-7 E-7 C-5 I-5 A-8 L-6
Roxanne Cooper - BPS - S-4 P-6 E-4 C-7 I-8 A-7 L-6
YingBlanc

Re: Earthquake!

Post by YingBlanc »

wow I haven't really been in anything like a natural disaster...maybe if you count the 2009 Country Wide Snow-In and the one this year but i don't think it counts.
I'm a brony now, Bronies are cool - Doctor Whooves =3
Chaplin

Post by Chaplin »

I was visiting my family in Chile during last years earthquake.

You can't complaint, it was like a nightmare, I tried to run while my dad prayed for forgiveness.
viridis

Post by viridis »

There was a 7.1 Earthquake (same size as that one in Haiti) a few months ago in Christchurch, here in New Zealand. There was a lot of damage, but thankfully half my family that live there weren't affected too greatly. There's been aftershocks since then and when I went down there for Christmas they had some of the biggest ones since the quake. One was a 5.1 only 3 km deep and 1 km away. I had never experienced anything like it and it scared me a lot.

How deep was the one near you? Do you know?
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

YingBlanc wrote:wow I haven't really been in anything like a natural disaster...maybe if you count the 2009 Country Wide Snow-In and the one this year but i don't think it counts.
Luckily this was more scary than disastrous. And severe snowing can count as a disaster. Roofs can cave in.
Chaplin wrote:I was visiting my family in Chile during last years earthquake.

You can't complaint, it was like a nightmare, I tried to run while my dad prayed for forgiveness.
Yes, I know. It could have been a lot worse, injuries, damage, death... We were lucky. Hungary lies in a calm region when it comes to tectonic movement, so this was still very unusual. The last quake of this magnitude was back in 1985 (that was a 5). I wasn't even born back then!
viridis wrote:There was a 7.1 Earthquake (same size as that one in Haiti) a few months ago in Christchurch, here in New Zealand. There was a lot of damage, but thankfully half my family that live there weren't affected too greatly. There's been aftershocks since then and when I went down there for Christmas they had some of the biggest ones since the quake. One was a 5.1 only 3 km deep and 1 km away. I had never experienced anything like it and it scared me a lot.

How deep was the one near you? Do you know?
It was 8 km deep according to the report of the Hungarian Seismological Observatory. So far there's only been a few reports of cracked walls closer to the epicenter, but they're still inspecting bridges, structures, power lines and such. There's no apparent damage in our building (10 story apartment complex) but it will be inspected as soon as possible, just to be sure.

Challenger01

Post by Challenger01 »

YingBlanc... come to my house and you'll feel them a LOT I live in SD, but we had a 7.2 on Easter 2010
I'm going to go to a Furry Convention wearing a shirt that says "I'm a Furry. All I do I Pawrty" Please tell me you get that joke.
valerio

Post by valerio »

I'm happy that you didn't suffer for the quake, Fox!
A similar quake happened in L'Aquila, and instead it brought down the city! Talk about bad infrastructures...
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Oh wow! Glad to hear your okay! Hopefully there won't be any aftershocks. Be careful for those!
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Thanks guys, everything's fine now! :) And there were aftershocks, but only around a magnitude of 2~2.2, so we didn't really feel them. As I've said, this was more of a scare than a disaster, but still very unusual and rare for this region.

viridis

Post by viridis »

Well I just thought I'd open up this topic again due to current events in my country. A few hours ago a big earthquake just hit Christchurch again. This is after they had one big one a few months ago. It is centered around the city and has collapsed a lot of large buildings and have caused injury's and fatalities. The footage I'm seeing is just amazing. The city is really badly hit. Half of my family lives down there and I'm trying to get hold of them but phone lines are down, hoping their Ok. :(
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

I'm really sorry to hear that, I hope your relatives are all right! That's one seismologic-ally active region there in New Zealand, huh?

I guess I really can't complain, we got off very easy here in Hungary, compared to others...

viridis

Post by viridis »

Yea, found out my relatives are all good. Seems to be a lot of big earthquakes recently around the world. Strange thing about Christchurch is, until the first one in September, no one would have even considered a earthquake there. Scary stuff really :?
ShadowMew295

Post by ShadowMew295 »

My town had an earth quake yesterday, I think.
"Every adventure requires a first step. Trite, but true, even here."

~Cheshire Cat
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

This is why I like the area I live in. I think the biggest earthquake we ever had around here was maybe a 2.5 or 3 on the Richter scale. There are also no hurricanes and very, very few tornadoes. All in all, it's pretty average. Boring but safe. :P
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Well, here where I live, the only problem we can get, it's strong wind or too much snow at winter, nothing like hurricane, earthquake or something like that.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
ShadowMew295

Post by ShadowMew295 »

Hmmm, well, my place has been getting a lot of mini-quakes recently. I hope we aren't in for a big one...
"Every adventure requires a first step. Trite, but true, even here."

~Cheshire Cat
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

ShadowMew295 wrote:My town had an earth quake yesterday, I think.
You *think*? :shock: Did the ground shake, or did it not? Then again, the smallest of quakes can only be measured with instruments, and they are still earthquakes...
ShadowMew295 wrote:Hmmm, well, my place has been getting a lot of mini-quakes recently. I hope we aren't in for a big one...
Those could be the smaller aftershocks...
Coatl_Ruu wrote:This is why I like the area I live in. I think the biggest earthquake we ever had around here was maybe a 2.5 or 3 on the Richter scale. There are also no hurricanes and very, very few tornadoes. All in all, it's pretty average. Boring but safe. :P
Which area is that? ;)
jopencjusz wrote:Well, here where I live, the only problem we can get, it's strong wind or too much snow at winter, nothing like hurricane, earthquake or something like that.
Hey, you're the second person on this forum, whom I know to live on the same continent as me. Yay for us Europeans!

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

The Broken Fox wrote:Which area is that? ;)
Oh, you know. [REDACTED].
Last edited by Coatl_Ruu on Wed May 18, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

The Broken Fox wrote:
jopencjusz wrote:Well, here where I live, the only problem we can get, it's strong wind or too much snow at winter, nothing like hurricane, earthquake or something like that.
Hey, you're the second person on this forum, whom I know to live on the same continent as me. Yay for us Europeans!
Hey, high five for it! :)
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club