Long Cold Nights[END?]

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Brittles

Long Cold Nights[END?]

Post by Brittles »

It's cold.

That's the one thing everyone can agree on today. The snowfalls have few, and far between. Little more then an inch of it lays on the ground, frozen in place, crackling as people step over it. Sure... one would expect it to be freezing during January, it's winter after all... but not.. not like this. It seems even indoors you can't escape it; that reaching chill that drags across the floors. And outside... well... I think you're all getting a good dose of that right now

It's January 9th, 5pm. The sky is clear, and the temperature is well bellow zero... you don't even want to 'think' about what it is when wind chill is being taken into account. You all stand on the sidewalk before 64-tanner, the old, old house that no one has lived in for as long as you can remember.

You all have your own reasons for being here.... heck... it was only by luck that you discovered each others plans, and decided to go as a group. Still, as you stand out here freezing to death you begin to second guess your choice to play 'detectives'. You've all brought simple things mostly. Snacks, backpacks, and scarves that are proving quite useless. Matches for fire, notepads for clues, and small flashlights for the Canine members of the group.

As one might expect the house has seen better days, any sign of paint having long washed away to give a color scheme of dead browns, and grays. It's surrounded by a tall oak-fence, taller then any of you can reach by far, full of gaps, and holes it provides no real barrier though. The rusted barbed wired twisting around the very top worthless as the fence itself.

When you get beyond the fence you see a yard that's long been dead, nothing but dirt, and the occasional batch of dead grass, the snow strangely absent beyond the fence. The stone path to the front door is no better off, covered in cracks, and decay it's little more then a pile of rubble under your feet now. The house itself is of decent size. From this side you can count... five windows right off the bat. Two large, one above the other, other on the left, and two smaller ones to the right... and at the very top a circular window which can only be the attic. All of the windows, both above, and bellow, are boarded up only giving short glances of shadows behind them.

As you get up to the front step there is of course the door. It still has some of the ancient red paint coating it, the small arch above it granting it some limited protecting from the elements it seems, it's edges coated in a thin layer of ice. The small window on-top much like the rest of the house is hidden by a plank of wood. Beside it various other old rotten planks sit, pulled off more recently.

You wonder how in the world anyone thought this was a good 'hang out spot'. Maybe it looks more appealing when you aren't freezing to death? Ah well... you're out here already, so you may as well act.

OOC:Aren't I a wind bag? Feel free to role play out, and talk to each other on the way to the front door before entering. Remember the posting rules:At least 1-5 paragraphs per post. NO one liners. Typically my own posts will fall into that limit as well, but quite obviously as the story teller I might need more from time to time to answer multiple questions, deal with split up parties, or to properly set the mood
Last edited by Brittles on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumplion

Re: Long Cold Nights-Horror Game-IC

Post by Jumplion »

"Eerie," Jumplion says to himself, "where's the welcome party?" While he wasn't that scared about old houses (his neighbor is an old lady after all), something about this particular house just seemed...wrong. He'd passed this house a million times, but now, actually standing in front of the house, it just seemed....creepy.

"So...is everyone ready?"
Pfft, and they said I couldn't toast breakfast cereal. Now look who's laughing!

Take that, society!
no space
Location: Beyond the Mountains of Madness, in a little place called Home.

Post by no space »

Zep looks around nervously and fails at suppressing a shiver. He waits for his teeth to stop chattering to pass to speak.

"I'm ready as soon as you guys are," he says, though he actually hopes everyone else will call it off. He swallows and works his clenched jaw. Why did Kayla have to run off to party? he thinks, And why did I tell Sarah I'd help find her? Mentally cursing himself, he casts his gaze at the other members of the search party.

He suddenly feels foolish for being so afraid. It's just the cold. It's just an old house. They probably just hit the nip too hard and curled up in a corner to sleep it off. Then the fear was back stronger than ever, and he just watched the ground at his feet, careful not to look at the dark structure before him.

((Whoo, my first RP post ever. Hope I didn't mess up too badly.))
What a beautiful waste-
hangnail whispering, "Let's be lonely together."
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Rick shivers lightly, but tries to force himself to stop shaking. It doesn't work, and he shivers more violently. He always hated the winter, too much moisture. Even if it's all completely and utterly frozen (come to think of it, how on earth did it get this cold?) it's still bloody-di-bloody-hydrogen-bloody-mon-bloody-oxide. It's like gold, in the sense that as far as he sees, it doesn't matter whether it's a solid or a liquid, it means the same thing to him. He can still get soaking wet from it and he absolutely despises the thought. It's not like he can dry off on a towel when he gets inside.

He looks up at the building before him. Ugly browns, ugly greys, ugly walls, ugly doors, ugly windows, ugly materials, ugly ugly ugly ugliness. God, it just doesn't make sense that such an ordinary (if broken down) house in such an ordinary location surrounded by ordinary people and pets can possibly seem so creepy. It's like the house took on a whole new demeanor, a new personality, as soon as those pets disappeared. Maybe a place is really only made up by the events inside of it. Who knows. Perhaps the place has nothing to do with it at all. After all that happened, it's no surprise he should be put on edge by it. The same thing might happen again. The exact same thing? He hopes not.

He averts his eyes from the building and stares up at the sky. Immediately his gaze is sucked into it, his mind bleeding out into the heavens and his vision turning into naught but grey. What a great effect the sky has on him. He lets his mind wander - it's late, why did we come so late? Wasn't it warmer a few blocks back, how'd it get so cold? It's still snowing, even if just a little, I might get some in my eye... wait, it is snowing, why is there none on the ground?
Needless to say, his questions found no answers. Also needless to say, he got some snow in his eye. Blinking furiously, he looks around at the rest of the team. He barely believes it can be called one. Three other pets - and two of them are dogs. Gross. All guys. What is this, a search-and-rescue or an interspecies bachelor party? Who's the lucky stag? He rolls his eyes and flicks his tail around himself in an attempt to keep warm. It fails. Hey, if he sets himself on fire with one of the matches, he won't be cold, right? Finallly, he opens his mouth. The air steams in front of his mouth before he even speaks.
"It's frigid out here! Never mind ready, let's just go!" he whines, waddling towards the oddly red entrance of the house with a determined look. He trudges over the dirt and looks for trees to hide from any snow under along the way. He can't see a single tree. What a desolate yard. Maybe that's part of why it looks so intimidating. His breath is whiter than the snow, and the house is as dark as death. Of the many things floating like little fish in his mind, darting about and interacting with each other, laying eggs that birth into new thoughts, eating other thoughts that disappear forever, and forever undisturbed though not uncaught, one large thoughtfish reigns supreme.

It's cold.

OOC - lord, i haven't done the roleplaying jazz in years. i really didn't realise that. ;A;
i did crapcrapcrap. sorryyyyyy. ; o;
i hope you don't mind too much the lack of quality in my writing
i really should follow my own advice more
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
daemonxblaze

Post by daemonxblaze »

Mal stays out of sight behind a substantial post that remains of the old fencing... "I'll catch up to them later and maybe give them a scare..hehe" even as he says this he doesn't beleive it.. always having been a bit superstitious he regards the old house with what to him is caution and to others fear.
Is Night So Different From Day?
Brittles

Post by Brittles »

The door doesn't give way so easily.

Rick:You tug, and tug, as the others watch, the light sound of cracking ice following each pull. The door fights against you long enough to start waning on your patience before finally breaking free of the frost, and opening with an abrupt shower of ice. As you brush off the flecks of cold.... you see something, something move, something fast. Little more then a blur in the nearest window. You stand there for a moment regaining your barrings, looking back to your friends who quite clearly haven't seen anything at all. Perhaps you're seeing things? You look back to the now open door.

Anything to get out of this cold...

There's no sudden 'slamming door' behind you I'm afraid; you wish there was! Your few attempts to get the door closed after the abrupt opening leaves it ajar, the ancient lock broken by Ricks earlier demand to enter it seems. The wind still gets to you even in here, but at least it's not quite as bad as it was outside.... though numb as you are you can't be quite sure. Your breath in the air won't quite let you forget about the cold though. Still you're inside now... so you take a chance to look around.

Decaying brown, and grays are still the first thing you see in this short hall but at least there's a 'bit' more color here. Ancient wallpaper coats the walls, a fancy gold, and dark green that may have been quite impressive. Now it decays like everything else in this house:Water stains of brown, tears, and curling from age. Much of the color is faded leaving large chunks of the walls nothing but a dull white. Up against the right wall is a simple night stand, painted in a rather ugly puke-green paint which is quite thankfully chipping. A simple sidestep to the right would put you on the bottom of the stairs, with a small window right behind you. Cracked old things, with one layer of raggedy red carpet as their only decoration, heading up into the shadows upstairs.

You see doors, oh you see plenty of doors. Down the hall there's one, simple, and closed. A little ways forward, and to the right there is another. The door is barely taller then you, and you can only guess it leads into the little space under the stairs, a rusted old padlock acting as its constant companion. On the left side? Two more. Evenly spaced across the hall, the one nearest to you left slightly ajar as if to welcome you while the other remains shut.

Zep:You recognize this house design pretty easily. You forget where you might have seen it.. but you have, at least once or twice in other homes. Forward likely leads to the dinning room and kitchen, while the left is most certainly where the living room sits. The design is pretty old, so it tends to include a cellar as well... there's little need to guess how one gets there.

Richie, Jumplion
:The house is completely, and utterly quite, nothing more but the creeks of your paws on the ancient wooden floors... or... no.. there's something else. You hear music, faint, faint music coming from the nearest door on the left. You don't know what to make of it, you can barely make out the lyrics but it sounds.... recent...

Mal You watch them walk in.... and they're gone. They never saw you, or you're pretty sure they didn't. Too focus on the house to keep an eye on the fence. So then.. you're alone... what's next? Seeing as the party is unaware of you, PM any actions you take to me rather then posting them here.
no space

Post by no space »

Zeppelin peeks in right behind Rick, feeling foolish for being so afraid but still unwilling to bring himself through the threshold immediately. Then, not wanting everyone to think he's a coward, he strides in, an attempt at boldness, but his hunched shoulders belie his reluctance. As he enters, he is struck by how immense the house seems from the inside. The silence of the building doesn't unnerve him as much as it calms him, and almost unwittingly he brushes past Rick, knocking him aside slightly, and takes a few steps towards what he believes to be the kitchen. He trips a little over his feet, though, and freezes. He isn't quite sure what he was doing, and looks behind him to see if the others noticed.

"I-" he starts, "I think the kitchen is this way. Maybe we could start there...?"

He stares at his feet again, embarrassed more than afraid now, and waits with limp tail for a lashing from the rather stern looking cat in front of him.
What a beautiful waste-
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

The old house looked no better on the inside than on the outside. One whiff of this room, and he could smell something....strange. "I guess these people weren't expecting company..." Jumplion mutters to himself, trying to keep himself optimistic.

Jumplion henhouse his ears to the sound of music haunting it's way to the room.

"Does anyone else hear that?" He asks, a little skeptical. "I'm going to check that out." Just as he's about to go into the room, he realizes that it's dark. Very dark. Not being to fond of being alone in the dark, he asks warily "So...erm...does anyone want to partner up? I-it's fine if nobody want's to, I can go by myself..." He was sure that nothing would happen, they just walked in and it didn't seem that big of a house.

But still, the song seemed familiar, but for the life of him he couldn't recall where he had heard it. But something about the song was intoxicating...

Take that, society!
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Rick doesn't like this at all. With good reason. After straining his already icy muscles (can't they snap or something if you do that?) and probably breaking the door (he'd also probably have to pay for that) and getting utterly covered in ice, he's pretty much already had enough. He desperately shakes and flicks all of the ice he can off, but he's still frozen after that. Just standing shivering isn't dong much for him, but he doesn't have much else he can do at that moment.
W-wait, what was that? Richie flicks his head towards the window on the right side of the door. He could swear he just saw something in there. Just a flash, or a blur, or a whisp, or a puff, or something. Anything. He swears he saw it though. And it took something. He can feel it, that he was seen by the thing he saw, and that it captured something of him. But of course he can't be sure of such vague feelings. He shakes himself of this and turns back to the open door.

Richard is, in the end, the first pet in the house. He hopes that the other cat he saw earlier will follow them inside, but he doesn't (and in fact Rick can't even locate him now), so Richie's stuck with the two dogs in the house. Maybe the other cat was scared of dogs or the house or something like that. Heaven forbid he actually liked the cold and didn't want to follow. Eww. Well, the muffins and cookies door didn't want to close, so maybe the cat will come in later. Whatever, they probably wouldn't even be there if he did.

Inside the house is barely warmer, almost unnoticably. Rick shudders and subconsciously edges himself closer to the nearest dog. Instead, he's brushed aside like a leaf. Perhaps not so violently as a leaf would be brushed, but nevertheless he has to regain his footing a little. He doesn't bring it up, though, and instead moves closer to Jumplion. At the very least, the inside isn't as bad as the outside, but it is still fairly ugly - that, or he's gotten used to it. He can see from the greens that it isn't entirely a bad thing that the paint is chipping, at least. The colour alone inspires his own stomach, so he looks away to settle it. He never used to feel sick so easily. Maybe being on edge does that. He wouldn't know, he hasn't really experienced such before.
The next thing Richie is to notice is, of course, the doors. Lines and lines of doors. Endless doors. He's seen such hallways in his own house, of course, with many doors all leading to many rooms with many purposes. Most he's not allowed into, of course. Something about expensive couches. Nevertheless, he's seen the halls. He won't know the house design in the slightest, but at least he knows about the halls. He's gotten rather good at navigating complex mazes of halls back in his house, so maybe that can be useful here. The door closest to him, on the left, is open. Richie feels an odd pull to it - isn't left the direction the odd flash/puff/blur/whisp/whatever went? Maybe it went in there, and maybe that's why it seems so... inviting.

After getting used to his sense of sight in the house, next he attempts to calibrate his hearing. The first thing he realises is that he can't hear any pets besides the two dogs around him, but to be fair he wasn't really expecting to anyway. The next sound to enter his ears is the creaking of his paws on the wood. His mind leaps, going through such explanations as the wood being naturally weak to air trapped under it to it being wet to termites to completely unrelated monsters making coincidental, odd creaking noises through whatever appendages they have every time he puts his weight down on the floor. From that point he tries to step as lightly as possible.
He strains his ears for any other noise. Even the wind from outside has dropped out. In straining, he notices something. Something so slight, he's not even sure he's hearing it. A noise... from an instrument. A musical instrument. No, not just a noise, a tune. A catchy one. Is he seriously hearing this? At this point he can hear it well enough that he doesn't even have to strain anymore. It's still faint, but he knows it's there. He turns to where he hears it from. Of course, it's the open door. The inviting, warm-looking, strange open door. He wouldn't dare resist it now, not only does it look good but it sounds good too - is that a hint of meat he smells? He wouldn't be surprised if there's a kitchen nearby. So it smells good on top of all that. Curiosity nothing, he just wants to go there. It's like it's the one safe place in the house, for lack of a better metaphor. It strikes him that it is just a metaphor. Perhaps the thought puts him on edge, but the room suddenly looks a lot less appealing. The other pets are speaking, so Richard tunes out of his thoughts and tunes into the dogs.

"I can smell meat... But I can hear music... and the door on the left is already open..." he dwindles off, realising that the two dogs are actually not looking down at him with superiority. He thinks they look more nervous. He'd even go so far as to say they are worried about his opinion. The thought embarrasses him, and he flicks his tail around himself instinctively. Blushing lightly, he murmers out that he wouldn't mind really but maybe they should go left? Still a little flustered, he flees through the open door without even noticing if there was a response or caring about how utterly uninviting it looked at this point to him. It isn't like him to be considered confident, or strong, or stern, or cool, or anything like that... He blushes a little deeper, and looks at the new room.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
no space

Post by no space »

Zep is more surprised by the cat's lack of reaction than anything else. The silence is suddenly no longer comforting, and he licks his cold, dry lips just to create a sound to fill the still air. He doesn't hear any of the noises the others are talking about, but maybe his hearing just isn't as good, so he tries not to linger on the thought. One more sidelong glance at the kitchen, which he now feels even more strongly than ever is the best place to start, then he looks questioningly at Jumplion and bounds after Rick. The clacking of his claws on the floor is mercifully loud, and drowns out the now-horrid silence. As he approaches the door Rick is standing in front of, it feels almost as if he's pulling from a faint magnetic force which had been drawing him to the kitchen. It passes quickly, but it is unnerving nonetheless.

He can't quite see around the cat standing just inside the open doorway, but he's too nervous to try to brush past again. Maybe the last time had just been a warning. He decides to wait a few seconds before doing anything, just in case. Again he looks to the kitchen, but now that he's out of its range of influence, the thought of it just makes him scared sick.

Finally, not wanting to look at or even think about the kitchen any longer, he slowly reaches out and taps Rick on the shoulder.
What a beautiful waste-
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

"Hmm? What was that?" Jumplion asks, "That sounded like....nothing. Come on guys, the silence is sort of worrying me. It's not like something is going to pop out and scream at us like those stupid horror movies. I mean, those horror movies aren't real, they're staged, so there's nothing to worry about since they can't be real and it could never happen in real life and..."

Jumplion continued to ramble on. He did that when he was nervous, but the near absolute silence from the group was really getting to him. Everyone just seemed to be walking around idly, like zombies....or ghosts...

"...my granddad worked with props in movie theaters so he knows that these things are staged. He said he was the superdog sidekick in one of the Superman movies, but I watched all the Superman movies and not one of the dogs looked like him.."

Still continuing to ramble on, he drummed his fingers nervously on his left spot. As a habit he licked his finger and swabbed it on his spot. "Lick your spot, good luck is hot" Jumplion recited to himself.

"...so....are you guys going to stop being zombies for two seconds and start searching?" Just then he noticed that he didn't hear the music anymore. The sound still rung in his head, but the tune was nowhere to be heard. "Strange..." he thought. "Sooooo....where should we start?"

Take that, society!
Brittles

Post by Brittles »

So the kitchen is forgotten for the moment... the music far too much of a lure you head left.

The door gives no objections, no creeks, or whines... it simply opens giving the cat, and the dogs desperately trying to look over his shoulder, the sight of a room that doesn't quite fit. The thin beams of light coming from the window show enough:starting from the left, and letting your eyes slide clockwise every step shifts you from one generation to the next. An ancient oaken chesterfield, with thin arms, and legs, and faded Navy fabrics;next to it a huge bean bag seat; follow by an old rocker; and then scratched up old lazy-boy, the chair facing an old fashioned fireplace. It's long since gone out, the rusted old poker-tray sitting beside it along with some unused wooden planks; a tall antique cabnit sitting in the far right corner... like some bastion of order surrounded by chaos.

The Center of the room seems to be following the same theme.. but with end tables, and boards on bricks instead of seats. Snacks, and drinks of all sorts dotting them all, a few spilling over to the dull red carpet bellow. The tune still haunts you here, filling your ears, guiding your thoughts, taking up all of your attention... it's enchanting.. full of joy and.... wait...you know this song... it can't be...

Kung-Foo Fighting?

To the right, in the very corner, there's a couch. An old stained think likely dragged from a dump. The faint music coming from behind. A quick shove finally reveals the source:A small circular stereo.

Jumplion: You're the first to recognize it. You saw it at Leapfrog's house once or twice... though the thing seems broken now. The sound is turn up all the way, yet it's fairly quiet. It was lucky you were able to hear it at all.

Richie: For just a moment... just a moment you can see how this might of been a good hang out spot... seeing the missing pets in their seats talking, the fire going spreading its light, the music blaring.... yeah.. it wouldn't be so bad. But now? It's not hard to notice the oddities here. Everything was left as it was... the food, the drinks... they just got up, and left?

Zeppelin
The other two pets are already one step ahead of you, peering into the room you still see it all though. As cold as it is... you're pretty sure the foods still good at least, what little use 'that' is to you. The fireplace looks like it's seen some use, and thank the heavens, might even be able to see some use now.....

The music finally fades as the the stereo seems to just die. As if in triumph the wind howls, and the boards of the ancient house creek ever louder. Despite being so full the room feels so very empty. Though perhaps it has more to tell?
Last edited by Brittles on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

OOC: Just for less stupidity, let's rename Leapfrog to Jessica. It's more of a "romaticy" kind of name.

Jumplion picks up the stereo playing the familiar tune of "Kung Fo Fighting. Somehow, the upbeat song just makes the whole scenario even more creepy. But not one to leave something un-commented on, he says "Well, at least they gave us something to cheer us up..." Not the best remark, but it was the best he could come up with.

He examined the stereo system, and it looked awfully familiar. On the back it had two initials; "J.S." Those words could only mean one thing to him; Jessica Samlord. His girlfriend. Jumplion gave a sharp and short squeal of delight knowing that Jessica was here somewhere, but quickly shut himself up. He didn't want anyone finding out about who she was let alone that he was here for her!

This room didn't seem that much better from the first one. Same feeling, same grime, same smell, same creepy-ness...though it did smell a bit sweeter than the other one, with the food n' all...
Last edited by Jumplion on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Take that, society!
no space

Post by no space »

Zeppelin pulls his hand back just before it reaches Rick's shoulder. He can see past the others now, and is surprised by what's in the room. When he sees what Jumplion has picked up, he's shocked he didn't hear the music before. Mechanically he rubs his ears, as if it will improve his hearing, and steps around Rick, careful not to bump into him.

There is a box of half-eaten pizza in the middle of the floor. Zep wrinkles his nose at it- anchovies. Cats. He rolls his eyes, then glances back to make sure Richard didn't notice his disgust. The fireplace in the corner catches his eye, and his ears perk. Cold and discomfort forgotten, he walks over to it, eager for something to busy his hands. After clearing the fireplace of the debris from the last fire, he sets about building a new one with a few scraps of paper and the unburned sticks piled up beside the fireplace.

With a triumphant nod he rocks back and examines his handiwork, only to wind up sitting on a puddle of spilled soda with a soft squelch. He stands quickly to assess the damage and look for a towel or rag to dry off with, but finds nothing. With an irritated half-groan, half-sigh, he picks up the matchbox above the fireplace to start the fire. Empty. The cold washes over him again, and he can feel his skin prickling with it.

He throws the matchbox into a corner of the room and sits down on one of the benches, careful to avoid the clutter. His sticky fur clings uncomfortably to everything, and he tries not to look at the others, too embarrassed to say anything.

((Wow, I didn't say anything at all. Sorry.))
What a beautiful waste-
Brittles

Post by Brittles »

Zeppelin:You easily clear out some space to setup a proper fire... but the flames seem a bit stubborn to come alive. It takes a few tries, testing your patience again and again... but... you manage to get a flame going among the old wooden planks before it runs out. Standing to find your seat... you look back just for a moment to see something ... not quite right.. a piece of blue.. something. Unluckily the pain comes long before you can consider what it is.

Jumplion As best as you can tell it was just the batteries that killed the thing. It's likely been on straight for a while... likely since it was brought here. But before you can think of that anymore Zeppelin is already yelping! The poor dog jumping on one foot as he holds the other, Red starting to stain the soles of his paw. Looking across the floor you see it now:Glass.. lots of it... specs, and broken bits.. most of it focused near the center of the room where whatever it was shattered. Little tiny traps hidden among the thick carpet bellow you.. and this room seemed so inviting too.

Richie Naturally you're aware of everything the others are... but a quick glance up notes a broken thin chain hanging from the ceiling.

The first little hints to a bigger mystery hahaha... meaningless now, but not quite as much later.
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

"Ohhh boy," Jumplion droned out.

He quickly tried to get over to Zeppelin, doing his best to avoid the shattered pieces of glass, but stupidly he stepped on a shard of glass himself. Luck-ily, Jumplion just barely made it accross the glass plain without a scratch on him.

He hopped across to Zeppelin, "Okay, it's going to be fine dude, just...ermm....think happy thoughts or something. I dunno, ermm....just stop jumping around you could hurt yourself again!"

Jumplion tried fruitlessly to try and calm down the poor dog. But the dog seemed more intent on screaming in pain then in trying to relief it...

Take that, society!
no space

Post by no space »

((Fine, make me difficult, haha.))

The pain is awful. Right in the soft spot behind the pad of his paw, the glass digs deep, at least a half inch. Thankfully the piece is relatively small, and he has managed to miss the other shards while jumping up and down. Biting his lip, he manages to stop himself and, feeling rather foolish for overreacting, lowers the foot till it hovers over the ground. Now that he has stopped to think rationally about it, the pain isn't as bad as it seemed before.

With a heavy, pained sigh, he looks to Jumplion and nods. "I'm alright," he says. He realizes that his fists are clenched tightly, and loosens them.

Idiot, he thinks. If that other dog hadn't been here to calm me down I might have stepped on another piece. That'd be just fantastic wouldn't it? He stops berating himself long enough to lamely offer a "Thank you." His foot flexes involuntarily, and he winces as the sharp pain shoots up his leg. The pain throws him off balance, and he reaches out and grabs one of Jump's shoulders to steady himself, accidentally smearing blood where his hand touches.

"Can you help me sit down?" he asks, nodding to a bench just a few feet away. Hours of watching the Discovery Health channel have taught him that he needs to get the wound clean and covered. He also knows, though, that taking the glass shard out could cause even more damage than was already done.

At least the ordeal has made him forget about his soda-stickied fur.
What a beautiful waste-
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

Jumplion hoists Zeppy ((hehe)) over his shoulders and carries him over to the bench, though he could barely lift him anyway. After a few moments of struggling, he finally slumps down on the bench with Zeppy.

The foot was bleeding alot, not too much, but enough to get him worried. For all they knew, the glass could infect him with a deadly virus or something equally as deadly from this creepy house.

"Okay, so I know it's not a good idea to leave a potentially infected piece of shrapnel in your foot, so I'd suggest pulling it out..."

Jumplion looked at him for reassurance, and Zeppy didn't seem to like that idea. His face said "Are you crazy?!?"

"Don't worry, I was a doctor......while playing pretend one time with my friends...but still, how hard could it be to rip...no, tear...no, remove a piece of glass? C'mon, give me your leg."

Take that, society!
no space

Post by no space »

Zeppelin slumps over Jumplion's shoulder, shocked. He had just needed someone to lean on as he hopped over to the bench, ((really?)) but... it got the job done, however awkwardly.

Jump's suggestion after they sit down shocks him even more. He stiffens and stifles back a whimper at the thought of a pretend doctor removing a piece of glass from his foot. "No. No no no. You're not touching me. Uh-uh." Zep gingerly pulls his injured foot up to rest it on his leg and holds it at the ankle protectively.

"Just get me some water and a rag. I'll do it." He carefully touches a finger to the part of the glass sticking out and flattens his ears in expectation of pain. Nothing happens though, so he taps it lightly. The pain makes his shoulder flinch, but luckily it doesn't make him hit the shard again.

I can do this, he thinks, reassuring himself. The guy on Far Cry 2 does it all the time. The thought brings back a memory of the game character pulling a piece of twisted sheet metal out of his arm, and Zep feels faint.

At least it isn't that bad.
What a beautiful waste-
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

((I thought that was the standard way of helping people?))

"Well, I'll go over to the Kitchen, there's bound to be some paper towels in there." Jumplion then licked his thumb and rubs it on his spot. "Rub your spot, good luck's hot" he muttered to himself, perhaps a bit too loudly.

He tiptoed over to the exit of the living room, being careful not to hurt himself along the way, and started walking across the hall to the Kitchen. Needless to say, this was easier said than done. Nothing changed in the main hallway, so it keeped it eerie feel. Jumplion breathed heavily to himself, closed his eyes, and started power walking over to the kitchen area.

"Get it over with, just get it over with" he repeated in his head. A nice trick he learned from his mother, just power through something if you're nervous so you can get it over with. Of course, this caused him to break his finger one time on the kitchen table somehow.

Take that, society!
Brittles

Post by Brittles »

Zeppelin You're quite sure your wound is FAR from fatal. To say the very least, all you really need is to put some pressure on it for a while (a tight cloth wrapped around it will do the trick most certainly) and you should be fine. Still, being one not used to injury it still stings like heck. The Warmth hitting your arm reminds you of the fireplace you just lit, glancing over there's no sign of whatever blue thing you saw in there... burnt away no doubt.

Richie You glance down at the shards scattered across the center of the floor, easier to see under the light of the fire, shimmering from the light like a crystal... that's when you noticed it. Many of the shards are already coated in blood long since dried.. small little flecks spread everywhere. Standing up straight again you can see it... almost.. your imagination doing the work. Everyone was in the room, having a good time, laughing. Most of them were strangers to you, so their faces are little more then blurs. All the while the Crystal chandelier that hung on the chain you spotted creeks... the noise, the clapping, the jumping bellow; each act strains the weak link further before.....

Then must have come screams, and a mighty crash. Did it land on someone? Or... was someone foolish enough to dangle from the thing in the first place? You're sure whatever the case that would have ended the party quick. There isn't enough glass here for a full chandelier.... they must have cleaned up.. at least a bit...

OOC:9 Perception gets you a lot doesn't it?

Jumplion You head out.. on your own... you can hear the house creaking again, the boards of the old building seeming to despise your presence. With your eyes closed it seems all the louder, as if something was tearing through the wood to get to you.. but such thoughts are quickly pushed away as a fools fear..... right?

You open the door at the end of the hall as quickly as you can, as if to keep with the pace of your power walk. Your eyes open to see what must have been a dinning room once... but much is missing here.... the most obvious of which being is the shadows:A quick glance up shows a dangling light whatever decorative cover it once had gone, but the bulb inside to your surprise sends a light glow across the room. The once grand tabled broken right down the middle, tilted in on itself, it's wood as gray as the buildings walls, only the tiniest bit of the tables once dark red color can be seen near its center. The one chair left lays wounded:one leg missing. It doesn't take you long to realize the others were taken to the living room from here. To the far right is a windowed cabinet, full of long unused fine china, collecting nothing but dust now. Ahead of you there's another door, closed but its brass handle being quite inviting.
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

((sorry, for some reason FireFox won't log me into the forums))

The feeling did not make Jumplion feel any more comfortable. It teared through his head, making his brain pound against his skull. He started nervously biting his thumb and furiously rubbed it on his spots, the presence still pounding in his head. "It's nothing, it's nothing. Just a kibble hangover or something. You're halucinating man, get over yourself." he muttered to himself. Oh how he wished he could believe that.

Jumplion looked around the kitchen. I didn't look any better than the rest of the house, that was for sure. Atleast the lightbulb gave him some sort of lumination. "Good, they had the decency to give me a way of actually seeing what I'm looking for." he spoke to himself half-hazardly.

He noticed the cabinet, full of shiny fine-china ware. Strange how everything else was battered and/or destroyed, yet the cabinent remained largely untouched with the silverware still intact...

Take that, society!
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

Curious, Jumplion walks over to the wooden cabinet of China. He makes sure to watch out for any stray shards of glass, after all he didn't want to hurt himself and end up like Zeppelin.

After some cautious walking, Jumplion he examines the cabinet closer. Upon further inspection, the cabinet had a pattern of waves and dashes on the outline of it. Probably hand made. It had a peculiar smell to it, maybe the smell of rotting wood? It's surprising that the cabinet isn't fully rotten from staying here for who knows how long.

Jumplion grabbed the handel of the cabinet and opened it. Or, atleast, tired to open it. The door was stuck slightly, so he mustered up all the strength he could get and pulled again.....with no avail. He kept on yanking at the handel until finaly the door flew open and Jumplion landed on the floor on his rear.

Rubbing his hurt bum a bit, he got up and looked to examine the cabinet even further. Nothing to extraordinary here, just a bunch of random Fine-China. But there was something alluring about them, maybe it was the shinyness...

Take that, society!
Brittles

Post by Brittles »

Jumplion You sit there for a moment, looking at the fine china, wondering how you can possibly get it out. The entire thing is a bit of a childish thought, but hey! You're a Childish Dog! that's not a bad thing. You cross your arms as a barrier against the cold...You can still hear the entire house creaking.. the noise seeming never to stop... there isn't something right here you're sure. Looking more closely you see something.. much, much shinier then the plates hiding behind the glass of the thing... maybe you were right to want to break into it?

So what should you do next? Keep on trying for the shiny trinkets again? Or move onward to the kitchen itself, the new door in the room no doubt leading there. The thought only lasts so long as you catch something moving out of the corner of your eye.... fur, you saw fur you know it, something... .

As you twist around the air around your mouth is nothing bug a wave of fog. There's the table, the chair, the doors, and the plates behind you. Nothing strange at all. The creaking noise is louder now, closer, a lot closer. As if it's right behind...

Sending a PM to you now. Don't respond in the thread!

Richie/Zeppelin Less to say to you folks since you haven't posted in a while. You can still hear the sound of twisting boards nearby but that's not strange for a place like this. Jumplions gone maybe... five minutes, and the warmth of the fire makes the thought of going after him seem.... less the desirable. It's around then that you hear the crash! Something big, and heavy hitting the ground HARD elsewhere in the house that makes you jump, shattering noises coming with it....

Feel free to roll play out the time Jumplion spent out of the room freely before reacting to the noise if there's anything you want to investigate or talk about.
no space

Post by no space »

After a few minutes, Zeppelin has just about forgotten why he's holding his foot. The gentle throbbing every few seconds is still there, but he's distracted enough by the room to ignore it easily. There's really nothing to look at, so he tries to fill in a few minutes by going over, in his head, how he would explain the current situation to someone who wasn't present for it. He would never tell anyone the story he comes up with, because frankly it's not that interesting, but it's just a nervous habit of his. The soft crack and pop of the fire along with the mesmerizing shadows the flames cast lull him into a near sleep.

He almost jumps to his feet when he hears a crash, and barely manages to stop himself before putting weight on his wounded foot. "Jump!" he calls nervously. He can't tell which direction the crash came from, but Jumplion is the only source of the noise he can think of. Actually, he can think of several more, but he quickly forces those thoughts out of his head.

When no answer comes, he looks around, anxious. What if something happened to him? What if he's hurt, worse than I am? He is conflicted, and fixes his dubious gaze at his foot. Forget it. I'm going after him.

With a last forlorn glance at the warm, inviting fire, he hops to the wall, careful to avoid any more broken glass. After a few moments he is able to reach out and, using the wall as a brace, make his way to the hallway door.

Jump better appreciate this. If I hurt myself again...
What a beautiful waste-
Brittles

Post by Brittles »

Zeppelin You hop, and hop slowly down the hall. Your foot isn't SO bad off that you can't walk on it a bit though.. the cold of this place almost seems to be numbing it, but even that little blessing can't let you forgive it. As your make your way you spot some movement.....your own. Nothing more then a mirror thankfully, cracked down the center.. hanging right above the ugly little stand you saw earlier.

You keep going.. and the house keeps creaking... to your ears it sounds like the noise is coming from everywhere at once... before you finally arrive at the end of the hall, finding the door already open, and welcoming. The light, the broken table, the chair, the cabinet....every piece of furniture here is not defeated, and broken. The table cut in half, the chair missing its legs... the cabinet fallen:It's many plates scattered in pieces, the open end now facing the floor away from your curious eyes.

You can't see Jumplion anywhere.. no sign of him at all. There's another door in this room.. if this is the dinning room you're quite sure the next room forward would be the kitchen.

Jump you're free to post in the main thread again.
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

Jumplion heard steps coming out from inside the cabinet.

"h-hello? Is anyone out there?" He asked nervously. He hopped it was Zeppy, though then again he didn't want to have to explain how he got stuck inside the muffins and cookies cabinet.

With the cabinet fallen, it was a tight fit. A few plates were still broken inside it and it proved difficult to not scratch himself against the sharp edges of the broken china. Also, it was cramped. Very cramped. He had to wonder, how the hell did he end up inside the muffins and cookies cabinet?

He licked his thumb and rubbed his spot, yet again. "I'm going to need all the luck I need" Jumplion murmured to himself. Positioning himself just right, he aimed his had at the weakest point of the cabinet he could find and started banging on it. He did this for two reasons, one to hopefully break through and if not then to also alert anyone who came by the cabinent to show that he was trapped.

"Hello?" he asked again "Is anyone out there?"

Take that, society!
no space

Post by no space »

Zeppelin froze. That sounded like Jump's voice, distorted though it was. It caught him by surprise, and he couldn't place it. When he called out again and started banging, however, Zeppelin locked onto the cabinet immediately. Oh, come on, he thinks.

"Oh, come on," he says.

"Jump? Are you-?" He stops. Of course he's under the cabinet- he's banging, isn't he?

"How did-?" But he doesn't want to know. Zep cuts himself off before he can start to ask another pointless question.

"Having a good time?" He finally says, exasperated. Without waiting for a response, he hobbles over to the cabinet and crouches beside it, careful with his foot. He releases a half sigh, half growl and shakes his head. "I'm going to try to lift the cabinet. Alright? So push, I probably can't do it alone.."

Grabbing the cabinet with both hands he prepares himself.

"On three. Ready? One... Two..."

Crap crap crap crap cr-

"Three!"

With a gasp, Zeppelin shifts his weight to be distributed on both feet, sending jets of pain up his leg. He ignores the pain as best as he can, though, and focuses all his strength on lifting the cabinet enough for Jump to get out.
What a beautiful waste-
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

Jumplion heard a voice. Zepplin's? That would be just his luck right about now. "Hello? Zep? Is that you?" a response confirmed that it was indeed Zepplin.

"Okay, I know what you're thinking, but don't ask. Just get me out of here, please?" He whined. He still wasn't sure how he got in the cabinet, but either way it was an incredible amount of luck.

A bit later, he started hearing some groaning and creaks from the cabinet. Zep was trying to push the cabinet out of the way! Just then he remembered Zep's condition. He was in no way in any position to lift anything 3 times his weight. "Zep! Stop it, don't strain yourself, you'll only hurt yourself even more! Just....I don't know, find something to break through the back of this thing and open a hole for me! Don't hurt yourself even more, you'll only make yourself even less usefull."

Take that, society!
Brittles

Post by Brittles »

You pull, and you tug. You feel your arms yelling in anger against you as you try, and try to get hulking mass of wood up. It seems hopeless, you'll have to find a way... and then suddenly.. the entire thing is weightless.. you pull it up effortlessly, tossing it aside against the wall, Jumplion completely free surrounded by broken plates... with a single silver key on his head?

For a moment you think yourself mighty.. then you notice Richie standing there.. the cat having helped you move it... yeah.. out muscled by a cat...some dog you are.

Zep looses 5 manliness points!

Jumplion
You pluck the key off your head.... it's old, as old as this house you'd say, an old fashioned skeleton key of shining silver. Odd that it be shining having been left here all this time though...

But before you can think about it you hear the first THUMP. You blink, glancing around for the source... and then.. another... THUMP. The dust on the table shakes off.... THUMP... the light above you flickers making shadows dance around you. You can here the wood creaking again... louder then before, as if the ceiling above you is about to fall apart... but.. you see no cracks.

The Noise is focused right above you...Someone.. someones upstairs.

Richie is now on 'auto follow' until Ebly gets back.
no space

Post by no space »

Zeppelin makes a big show of checking Jump for injuries and then helping him up, embarrassment taking his mind off of his injury. It doesn't last long, though, before he remembers his foot. He quickly raises it, and waits for the pain, but none comes. He hesitantly tests it a few times, and finds that the ache is almost gone. It still needs a wrap, but he's sure can limp around quite well for a while.

The thumping starts, and he immediately looks at the ceiling. His right ear perks, but he can't hear anything, which doesn't surprise him- his hearing really isn't that great. The humiliation from before is still strong on his mind, and it takes the bite off any surprise or fear the unexplained noises would have caused. Wanting to make up for his lost manliness points, he speaks up.

"We should probably check that out. It might be one of the others."

Without waiting for a response he turns and walks, perhaps a bit too slowly, toward the door.
What a beautiful waste-
Jumplion

Post by Jumplion »

"No Zep, your foot's still hurt. I don't care if the pain's gone now, we can't risk you hurting yourself again. It could get infected or something. I don't care what's up there, we're going to fix you up. Just, c'mon, let's find some paper towels to wrap up your foot." He quickly grabbed Zep by the arm and tugged him back.

Always being the one to take precaution, Jumplion went over to the various cabinets, albiet with more caution just incase anything else decided to topple over on him. He knew this for sure, he wasn't going to venture alone anymore unless absolutely neccisary.

He tried his best to find something, but most of the drawers and cabinets seemed empty or just had some dust in it.

"What luck I'm having" he murmured to himself. His age old habit consoled him; licking his thumb and swabbing it on his spot "Good luck's hot".

Maybe the next drawer would give him better luck...

Take that, society!