Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Dubiousity

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Dubiousity »

Spargo wrote:When I finished Black-Ops the other day I was just: "wow..."

Psychological action thriller FPS? It had some far fetched moments but I think it had a great story.
Yeah, that game's story is pretty crazy.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
thoughtwright

Post by thoughtwright »

So I would like to rant about Metroid Prime, and how it relates to game design theory.

No spoilers but if Metroid Prime is something you've even been remotely interested in, stop reading at the end of this paragraph and buy Metroid Prime Trilogy, and play that first.

LATE NIGHT RAMBLINGS WALL OF TEXT AHEAD

Metroid Prime, for as good as it is, I hear very little about it. People who've played it like really it, but otherwise it's ignored. I wonder why that is. I got Metroid Prime as part of a bundle that came with a black GCN and the game, and the Echoes demo disk. First major game console I ever owned, and I have no clue what possessed me to go out and buy it but I did, I didn't know too many people with a GCN, I didn't know much of any games for the GCN, I have no clue why it was interesting, but I am so glad I did. I don't think I tried it out for a day or two because I really am not the kind of person who likes shooters. Like, "Call of Duty what is that?" But I put it in eventually. Behold: It's not a shooter, it's an adventure/platformer, albeit in first person (Nintendo officially classifies it as a First Person Adventure, go figure).

Even now, the game is different than anything you'll ever play. A simple sentence is displayed on the screen, setting up the segment. The first scene is of space, it's scenic, it showed the Gamecube as the top graphics console of it's generation that it was (Yes, yes it was, case in point: Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2. Unfortunately this is, I think, the exhaustive list of games that pushed the processor). You have no clue what happened except that something bad happened here. By scanning the environment, you learn about what the frigate is. When the opening opens, you've spent maybe 20 minutes, and then the next part of the plot appears on the screen, and from there it's entirely nonlinear gameplay. Compare it to the opening of Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, maybe Super Mario 64, short beginning segment to serve as a tutorial, then the world just opens up massively. From there on out the entire plot is revealed entirely through scanning your environment, like you're a detective figuring out what happened to this poor planet of Tallon IV. Not that there's no voice acting, but NPC characters are simply not needed, so you can dispose with a whole bunch of awkwardness, it's just you and the environment, backed by one of the most underrated soundtracks I've ever heard. I recently restarted it after getting Metroid Prime Trilogy (a deal in adventure games you cannot beat) and walking into Phendrana Drifts is just an experience you can't put into words. It's beautiful, secretive, and has probably the best melody in existence next to maybe Dire Dire Docks and some of the Zelda melodies. I forget what review said this, but I'll repeat it: It's one of the most atmospheric games there is and quite simply one of the best.

Metroid, all of the games, Metroid Prime is no exception, always has that trademark element that makes it a Metroid game: Backtracking. And not the annoying retracing your steps type, either, but in a way that's very natural: You see a puzzle you won't be able to solve, but you do manage to unlock a new powerup, like the morph ball, or some other device. Except for bare minimum clues that point to where the next powerup is, you're free to explore the world. I think my first playthrough was something like 40 hours, just because I had so much fun exploring everything. Metroid Prime is certainly a game that rewards exploration, you're not just going down long passages to do one thing, and then backtracking to get back to the main hub, you're going in all directions, and in circles, unlocking shortcuts, new areas, new items. The layout is just brilliantly designed.

I can't leave out the other element that makes a Metroid title, a Metroid title: speed runs. The high degree of non-linearity means you can break the intended sequence pretty badly. I think in the first game I went after that giant plant thing first, before getting the missiles -- and beat it, and then got the missiles (and thought Oh wow this would have been useful). There's no invisible walls to block you from literally jumping out of the environment, or getting items you shouldn't be able to get, which is awesome. There's runs to try and finish the game with as few powerups as possible (as low a percentage as possible).

Nothing creeps me out quite like a Metroid. There's nothing that gets under my skin more than a floating jellyfish, floating harmlessly along the far other side of the room, only to have it go "CAAAWWWWWWW" and make a b-line for your head.

The game was supposed to be a train wreck. Nintendo, reviving an old franchise that hasn't seen an N64 release, making it a First Person Shooter, and letting a new game studio in Texas develop it from scratch. Recipe for a train wreck right? No, they produced the highest rated game of the generation. The technical design is amazing. Not a single loading screen anywhere. The game actually pre-loads the area it thinks you're going to go next (if you've ever been caught, deciding last moment you want to go out a different door, and find it won't open for a few seconds, that's actually awesome). It uses long passageways, elevators, and strategically placed enemies to slow you down while loading the next world. It's graphically amazing, it's visually striking. It's aurally amazing. It has an deep story only subtly revealed to you through the records of two different cultures.

If anyone else also believes this let me know: the best way to play Metroid is alone late at night or early in the morning when it's dark out and you can still turn the sound all the way up. This is as opposed to Zelda which is better played with a friend holding the controller as if they are the ones actually in charge (when of course you know it's you calling all the shots), maybe skipping school just to watch. Am I right?

END LATE NIGHT RAMBLINGS
zeroslash

Post by zeroslash »

Well, as if I haven't been convinced before, but I might go out and get a copy of that Metroid trilogy, thanks to thoughtwright.
Sinder wrote:So then Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

zeroslash wrote:Well, as if I haven't been convinced before, but I might go out and get a copy of that Metroid trilogy, thanks to thoughtwright.
DO IT. The Metroid Prime series is definitely a great deal. It's visually impressive, and the Trilogy game in itself (Came out on the Wii, with re-tooled controls) still gives you the same unbelievable experience, but with the Wii controls and processor, and the added bonus of medals for MP1 and 2. I would have definitely kept it longer if it wasn't a rental.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Metro 2033 is a very cool game and quite hard sometimes.. x3

Definately worth a try-out, guys! ^^; (If you have the computer for it.. :p)
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

So I bought Dead Space, beat it 3 times and got all achievements.

Also bought Alan Wake and beat that too.
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Not long until Dead Space 2 now Dubs
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Spargo wrote:Not long until Dead Space 2 now Dubs
I already have the Collector's Edition paid off, I'm so excited.
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

I didn't know there was a collectors edition o.o
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Spargo wrote:I didn't know there was a collectors edition o.o
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Product ... t_id=84606

Fully. Paid. Off.
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Wow, I might get that instead
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

thoughtwright wrote:Stuff about Metroid Prime
I agree. I haven't played the 3rd one, but I do know that at least Prime and Prime 2: Echoes are absolutely amazing games.

I've recently been replaying Metroid Prime 2: Echoes because I always liked that one better than the first because of the dark/light mechanic, and it's just awesome all the way around. The music, the story, the level design, the enemies, the graphics, the scenery, the gameplay.... It's really one of the best games ever, and I never hear about it. I guess people are too busy playing Halo a million times.

Edit- Also, what's wrong with Retro Studios being in Texas? I live in Texas!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
thoughtwright wrote:Stuff about Metroid Prime
I agree. I haven't played the 3rd one, but I do know that at least Prime and Prime 2: Echoes are absolutely amazing games.

I've recently been replaying Metroid Prime 2: Echoes because I always liked that one better than the first because of the dark/light mechanic, and it's just awesome all the way around. The music, the story, the level design, the enemies, the graphics, the scenery, the gameplay.... It's really one of the best games ever, and I never hear about it. I guess people are too busy playing Halo a million times.

This. Obviously we Texans can get stuff right, so right that an international company from JAPAN was willing to let us give one of its flagship series a reboot...and succeed!
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Texas used to be a part of Mexico... they are so lucky...
Anyway, whats up with the remakes of old games, I mean, they make the remakes but sometimes they take away the original gameplay (And, somehow, people can't take away the original gameplay of Tetris :D Gee... I love that game, it's so... addicting), But, in another hand, sometimes they make the game better... they should do a remake of GTA 3 or GTA San Andreas...
I remember when I used to play Twisted Metal 2, I loved that level in Paris. Oh yes, many good times...
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

So I know it's old news but Ninja Theory is handling a re-boot of Devil May Cry entitled DmC. Let it be known that if they mess this up I will hate them forever.
zeroslash

Post by zeroslash »

They should remake TimeSplitters 2. I would spend an arm and a leg for that times two.
Sinder wrote:So then Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Chaplin

Post by Chaplin »

I hate missing out on these kinds of threads, My favorite games of all time are: Borderlands, TF2, Left 4 dead 1 & 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Minecraft, and Overgrowth.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Chaplin wrote:I hate missing out on these kinds of threads, My favorite games of all time are: Borderlands, TF2, Left 4 dead 1 & 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Minecraft, and Overgrowth.
Tigerawesomeface
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Private Elliot wrote:
Chaplin wrote:I hate missing out on these kinds of threads, My favorite games of all time are: Borderlands, TF2, Left 4 dead 1 & 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Minecraft, and Overgrowth.
Tigerawesomeface
Image ? xD

Finished Metro 2033 last night, it was awesome. :3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Aww, I want Metro 2033...
If my computer can handle it...
Well, my computer plays a lot of games well... it should...
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

You could always set your graphic options low in-game.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Private Elliot wrote:Aww, I want Metro 2033...

Just a heads up: The game is a very much so mindcluster, so it will mess with you.

>:3
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Tobee wrote:
Private Elliot wrote:Aww, I want Metro 2033...

Just a heads up: The game is a very much so mindcluster, so it will mess with you.

>:3
Trust him, you have no idea how many PM's I got telling me how scary the game was.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Hey, I've played Amnesia: The Dark Decent, and that game made me jump a few times... and scream once when I was getting chased by a monster... but only once!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Well, the thing is that, in Amnesia, you can't fight back, you can fight back in metro 2033, and then you'll, you know, run out of ammo while fighting a million mutants = screaming.... (at least me xD)
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

True true... Though I'm don't usually scream when scared in video games, I panic and that gets me killed...

Note to self: DON'T PANIC YOU IDIOT

How come when there's a game I want to try there's no demo for it ._.
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Private Elliot wrote:True true... Though I'm don't usually scream when scared in video games, I panic and that gets me killed...

Welcome to XBox... I'll be switching to PS3 if Mr. Bill Gates doesn't do XBox Live Gold for free by th end of March.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Russiarules1 wrote:
Private Elliot wrote:True true... Though I'm don't usually scream when scared in video games, I panic and that gets me killed...

Welcome to XBox... I'll be switching to PS3 if Mr. Bill Gates doesn't do XBox Live Gold for free by th end of March.
Keep dreaming. The chances of Microsoft not charging for gold is like The Chances of Half Life 2: Episode 3/HL3 coming out this year. It won't happen.
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Better get start saving money... I will miss all my progress in GTA IV (and the Episodes of L.C. Ballad of Gay Tony sucks epic time, CoD 4, World at War, MW2... well, not really and Black Ops.
All down the drain because of the 'American rich greed' of Bill Gates... HE IS EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL :evil: :evil: :evil:
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Russiarules1 wrote:

What exactly does this have to do with not having a demo to try?
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Dubiousity wrote:
Russiarules1 wrote:

What exactly does this have to do with not having a demo to try?
I just noticed that he derailed me...
I am slow.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Yeah, that's not even a relative topic! You were talking about playing on PC!

Also, Bill Gates has absolutely no influence on the Xbox 360.
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Dubiousity wrote:Yeah, that's not even a relative topic! You were talking about playing on PC!

I'm pretty sure Bill Gates is highly related to XBox 360, because XBox belongs to Microsoft and Microsoft belongs to Bill Gates... I think.
EDIT: Yes, he is the owner of Microsoft, well, kind of...
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Russiarules1 wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:Yeah, that's not even a relative topic! You were talking about playing on PC!

I'm pretty sure Bill Gates is highly related to XBox 360, because XBox belongs to Microsoft and Microsoft belongs to Bill Gates... I think.
Wrong, the Xbox 360 was headed and produced by Microsoft Vice-President J. Allard, Bill Gates had no influence on the creation or distribution of the system.
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Dubiousity wrote:
Russiarules1 wrote:

Wrong, the Xbox 360 was headed and produced by Microsoft Vice-President J. Allard, Bill Gates had no influence on the creation or distribution of the system.

Ooooooh... Thanks for the heads up! I just did big mess...
But I still think Bill Gates is EVIL :evil: :evil: :evil:
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

We all do, we all do.

Battlefield is slowly sucking up my life.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

I would play Bad Company 2 online... but do I look like I want to download a one gig update? Over PSN?
Heck no. No hate to the PS3, it's just that PSN's download speeds are horrible.
thoughtwright

Post by thoughtwright »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:I agree. I haven't played the 3rd one, but I do know that at least Prime and Prime 2: Echoes are absolutely amazing games.

At least at one point I intended to counter my own point with "But Texas is awesome" or something but, I mean, my point was that it wasn't developed out of Washington maybe California like most games are.

I think there's some lesson to be learned out of that. Maybe great minds that had never done games before, or not together before, are the only way to do great things that haven't been done before. My own personal motto is "Think the unthought-of".
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Private Elliot wrote:I would play Bad Company 2 online... but do I look like I want to download a one gig update? Over PSN?
Heck no. No hate to the PS3, it's just that PSN's download speeds are horrible.
I heard they were, then again, almost all downloads are really fast for me so it doesn't matter.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

*shrugs* Recently it has been a bit faster; Dead Space 2 demo didn't take long.

But seriously, when it started patching, it said 167 hours remaining.

Me:

>:C