Do your parents know that you are a furry?

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Agent Sandwich

Do your parents know that you are a furry?

Post by Agent Sandwich »

The question is the name of the topic. In my case it's a no.
Yes, I support catlovers! You got a problem mate?

Thank you Housepets! Forum. I've accepted myself.
Nitrosparxx

Re: Do your parents know that you are a furry?

Post by Nitrosparxx »

Well, I'm not really a Furry. I like to use Anthropomorphic creatures in my stories because I find them unique and attractive. I also like reading comics and watching cartoons that take them seriously instead of using them for metaphors. The one thing I WILL not do is fursuiting, because it's just...not my thing. With that said my parents know that I like Anthros.
Agent Sandwich

Post by Agent Sandwich »

Nitrosparxx wrote:Well, I'm not really a Furry. I like to use Anthropomorphic creatures in my stories because I find them unique and attractive. I also like reading comics and watching cartoons that take them seriously instead of using them for metaphors. The one thing I WILL not do is fursuiting, because it's just...not my thing. With that said my parents know that I like Anthros.
I'm now starting to wonder what is the real definition of a furry. Some say it's the reenactment of fursuiting, others say it's to have a great interest in anthro characters and others believe it is to have an animal spirit in their soul/to be an animal trapped in a human body.
Yes, I support catlovers! You got a problem mate?

Thank you Housepets! Forum. I've accepted myself.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Well, my parents don't know pretty much because they never asked. LOL
But I'm also not into fursuiting, I just like reading stories about furry characters. 2D only. I've seen some 3d anthropomorphic characters and I didn't like it.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

As much as I enjoy talking about the furry fandom in a non-insane setting, care needs to be taken with stuff like this to avoid making this look like a furry forum. I love furries and when they join this forum, but for every three furries we get we get a human and I don't want them thinking this forum (or webcomic even) is not for them. If our furry percentage goes up, I want it to be from more furries, not fewer humans.

My parents totally do not know I'm a furry. They know the movies I like, that I sleep with plushies and that I love animals. But considering not too many people know what a furry is and that I like plenty of non-furry movies, they most likely have no idea. Plus I'd rather not risk them having the wrong idea. My dad would probably understand, but my mom is the same person who won't let me play Magic: the Gathering because she read it was evil. All she has to do is read one thing on the furry fandom that misrepresents it and I'm sunk. But my parents don't need to know. I'll never need to let them know when I go to a furry convention because I won't be living at their house, and why do they need to know what webcomics I read and what online communities I visit?

I'm also not really into fursuiting. I love tails and ears, but fursuits are generally a bit too unnatural. In fact, I'm actually probably going to buy/commission a set of ears and a tail online when I get back to school. ^_^

Nitrosparxx, don't take this the wrong way but you totally sound like a furry to me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Zander

Post by Zander »

No :3
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

Sleet wrote:As much as I enjoy talking about the furry fandom in a non-insane setting, care needs to be taken with stuff like this to avoid making this look like a furry forum. I love furries and when they join this forum, but for every three furries we get we get a human and I don't want them thinking this forum (or webcomic even) is not for them. If our furry percentage goes up, I want it to be from more furries, not fewer humans.

My parents totally do not know I'm a furry. They know the movies I like, that I sleep with plushies and that I love animals. But considering not too many people know what a furry is and that I like plenty of non-furry movies, they most likely have no idea. Plus I'd rather not risk them having the wrong idea. My dad would probably understand, but my mom is the same person who won't let me play Magic: the Gathering because she read it was evil. All she has to do is read one thing on the furry fandom that misrepresents it and I'm sunk. But my parents don't need to know. I'll never need to let them know when I go to a furry convention because I won't be living at their house, and why do they need to know what webcomics I read and what online communities I visit?

I'm also not really into fursuiting. I love tails and ears, but fursuits are generally a bit too unnatural. In fact, I'm actually probably going to buy/commission a set of ears and a tail online when I get back to school. ^_^

Nitrosparxx, don't take this the wrong way but you totally sound like a furry to me.
No, I'll admit that I am a furry, as evidenced by the fact that the six webcomics that I read (Catena, Housepets, Furry Experience, Concession, Broken Plot Device, and Sequential art) are all furry in theme, but what I was trying to get across is that I don not like fursuiting, nor do I believe that my soul is an animal (my hormones however...). Also, I do agree with you Sleet: I love tails and ears.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't really like fursuiting either and I'm fully aware my soul is human. It doesn't really take that much to be a furry.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Yeah...no, they don't. I'm not tellin' 'em unless they ask me outright.
I like the webcomics, and I draw them, and I like other peoples' drawings...I also have a fursona (seriously look at my avatar people) but I refuse to fursuit (not to say that I wouldn't want a tail...that would be seriously awesome) and only recently did I do any roleplaying at all. Also, I have aspirations of being a vet, so anything I do with animals they just chalk it up to that.
sonic id furreh!!!

Post by sonic id furreh!!! »

doubt it :3..... they never asked....... ai doubt they even know 'bout the fandom X3
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

They don't even know what it is, far less that I consider myself to be a furry. So they haven't asked, but why would they? Why would that even be of any relevance to them?

Though i think i would consider myself a furry in most(if not all) definitions of the word. i'd like to fursuit. :P but i havent done so yet
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Alex

Post by Alex »

My parents don't know what that is, either >_> Foreign country :P
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

My parents don't know a lot of things about me, this being one of them.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc »

they do know but i'm not really a fursuit [insert proper word here] guy, i won't mind fursuiting just because i get to know everybody else in the furry fandom anthro face to anthro face instead of online, but i mostly like furry artwork and yes i see the furry fandom as a mix of An interest in anthro's and the whole spirit thing though i see it more of a reincarnation award for being good to become the animal your anthro is...which in my view won't work for pokemon and digimon furries, sorry for anybody who is including me I have 2 pokemon fursonas.
I'm a brony now, Bronies are cool - Doctor Whooves =3
TheBlackParrot

Post by TheBlackParrot »

Nope.
They've seen my wallpaper though. I just say "Oh, that's just me in wolf form." and they accept it.
However, they haven't seen my dA and FA accounts, and I plan on keeping it that way.

Do want to fursuit though. But I'm going to wait some years.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

My guess is most parents probably don't know what a furry is.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Aquablast wrote:My guess is most parents probably don't know what a furry is.
It seems like it...convenient, no? :)
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

I'm probably not going to tell my parents, not anytime soon anyways, not a suiter and my desktop is a picture of New York from the Crysis 2 trailer. Any furry art is in a special folder system :3
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My parents will find out something's up only if I go to a convention and pictures find their way on Facebook. At that point, not my problem.
Tha Housedog wrote:
Well yeah, but it'd also be nice if they knew what furries were.

Not so much if they only thought they knew what furries were. :/
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Well, considering I'm not one, the most apt answer would be no :P

They do, however, know I associate with furries online
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Medli

Post by Medli »

Sleet wrote:As much as I enjoy talking about the furry fandom in a non-insane setting, care needs to be taken with stuff like this to avoid making this look like a furry forum. I love furries and when they join this forum, but for every three furries we get we get a human and I don't want them thinking this forum (or webcomic even) is not for them. If our furry percentage goes up, I want it to be from more furries, not fewer humans.

Thanks, Sleet. Now, would you do the same with my homework?
Except for the buy ears and tail thing that fits me. Also one of my housemate knows I´m furry, but didn´t really respond to it.
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

my parents know Nothing about me! and that is the way I like it!
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

My parents probably know I like this stuff. After all, they're seen my wallpaper on my computer. :D
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Teh Brawler wrote:Well, considering I'm not one, the most apt answer would be no :P

They do, however, know I associate with furries online

Well, basically the same as Brawler
"In nomine Libertatis vincula aedificamus; in nomine Veritatis mendacia efferimus." -Michele Salvemini aka CapaRezza
"Let there be light! That was, uhm... God. I was quoting God."
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Yeah I'm not a furry. If I was one, then my parents would not know about it. I wouldn't actively hide it from them, but I am a loner, and the only thing in my life that I can control right now is information, so I don't really tell anyone anything about me. Everything is in its own separate sphere, just the way I like it.

Yeah, the whole warning that, uh, I forgot...
Anyway that stuff he said about scaring humans is pretty accurate. It stopped me from joining the forums for a few weeks while I read through a few threads to see what the community was like.

I don't really see the problem with furries, though. Then again, my only real exposure to them is this forum, so... yeah.
In it's broadest definition, the liking anthro art, I think half of the population in America would be furry, including me. Generations have grown up on Disney anthro, after all! :lol:

My definition is that if you think you are a furry, you are a furry; if you don't, then you're not. I like anthro art, but I couldn't get into fursuiting, roleplaying, or any of that. I could do some fanfiction, since I like the style of writing, though..
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Mehhhhhhhhh...

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Am I one, I don't know. Would they know? No they wouldn't. If they do, I have failed. Sad how the media makes it even more stereotypical... My desktop does, however, contains animal pictures, bob-ombs, mushroom clouds, and a wallpaper of Max falling through the abyss of horror (w/ and w/o Max). No anthropomorphic characters, however, are seen visible. *Is glad they don't know the marvels of teh interwebs nor teh computer.*
Tha Housedog wrote:

Wait 'till you're the parent...
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Challenger01

Post by Challenger01 »

Yes. Both of my parents fully know that I am a furry... However for some reason... a certain celebrity Tyra Banks has given a bad light on the furry fandom, and my mom still continues to believe that the FF is basically all about sex However, I have told her it isn't, and of course, she still doesn't listen, because, what do I know? :P Anyway, I'm kinda in all parts of the fandom, the fursuiting, the "wanting dog ears and a tail"... the idea of my passed dog's soul residing within me. Yeah, I cover the whole spectrum :D
I'm going to go to a Furry Convention wearing a shirt that says "I'm a Furry. All I do I Pawrty" Please tell me you get that joke.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Well, my fursona is my way of keeping my late dog's memory alive...but I don't think anything of 'reincarnation'. :roll:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Nope, they have no idea. In fact, no one I know in real life knows. =/
zeroslash

Post by zeroslash »

No, but a few of my friends know. I don't think my mom will ever find out, considering I never do anything to show it. I mean, the closest thing I've ever done to show I have an interest is watch cartoons, and well.... yeah. :/ In any case, I doubt anyone in my family really cares. My sister is an atheist, and my family is fine with it.
Sinder wrote:So then Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
FarmMan1812

Post by FarmMan1812 »

No, b/c I'm not. I just read Housepets, thats all.
They know I'm a computer artist though.
Well.... not that good of one, but I'm getting there.
http://farmman1812.deviantart.com/
Check it out if you want.
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

Well, being that I am one of the bastions of humanity here, I would say that this question has no real bearing on me whatsoever.. I do however find myself to be extremly accepting of furries in general though. I, however, am most firmly not one... No offince...

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

My Mom took me to AC 2010. She has mixed feelings. My Dad and my brother have not been exposed to the negative aspects yet.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Your mom took you to Anthrocon? Wow, she's awesome!
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i'm pretty sure my family has never even heard of furries before
only people at school know i'm furry

i guess i'm just more concerned about what my family thinks than other people
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

I wouldn't call myself a furry, (even though Tha Housedog likes to say I am) but I do happen to like this comic, and its related art. But I guess you can blame Disney for making me have a liking of athro art/movies (only housepets related; the other kind is weird). But this topic is a little iffy, and I don't want to get in trouble to saying anything more.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You wouldn't? What are you, backpedaling? :P
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Okay fine, I'm a little bit furry, but not much. Like above: I only like HP related art.
Also: I'm sure my parents don't know what a furry is, but my dad caught me looking at the new comic yesterday... If he reopened Chrome I do not know for sure.

On that note, bacon.
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

*Hangs head in shame*

I'm...sorry...I just had to...
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Well, I'm still not entirely clear on what really makes a person 'furry'.
Sure, I like animals and artistically representing humans as animals.
But I also like regular humans as well as mythical creatures.
Though the only title I get it seems is 'furry'.

Back on topic: I don't really identity with the title, so I'd have to reply no.
It is not something I'd expect to be embarrassed about though.
I enjoy the furry concept as a means of expression and characterization.
The possibilities with furry characters is near limitless.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?