Why do you like Housepets?

Discuss the comic here
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Re: Why do you like Housepets?

Post by CaptainPea »

The ensemble cast keeps things interesting.
Image Image
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Trolling Opportunities

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Because it's cute, and because its creator is one of the awesomest people ever, aside from his webcomicking abilities.

Also, what Diss said.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

It's one of the cutest things I've ever read
SlientWolf

Post by SlientWolf »

I love everything about Housepets, the style, the characters , story its all so great.
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Because it is addicting...
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

The furret pays well.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, but a man can only eat so many furret-snacks.

dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Dissension wrote:Yeah, but a man can only eat so many furret-snacks.
...eventually eating the furret itself...
Samson

Post by Samson »

I think it is a very interesting hypothetical of what would happen if animals could talk and walk and read and think and how they would be treated and how they would develop and interact with and in society.
Last edited by Samson on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
disk333

Post by disk333 »

Because the characters are cute and funny of course!

But uh... if you want to know the real reason its because the comic is the only thing that gets me in touch with my roots with the furry fandom, besides my drawings...

Agh! That's too saddening I need listen to some upbeat music now. :D
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

This may sound weird to y'all, but the reason I love Housepets! is because...it just feels like the comic has soul. That's the best way I can think of to describe it. There's a happy, positive, friendly FEEL to it all, like Pixar films. It's just good-natured fun that through excellent artwork and writing manages to transcend its medium to become something more.

Ya know what? I think I got it perfectly right earlier. Housepets! is the Pixar of webcomics.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

naylorfan90 wrote:This may sound weird to y'all, but the reason I love Housepets! is because...it just feels like the comic has soul. That's the best way I can think of to describe it. There's a happy, positive, friendly FEEL to it all, like Pixar films. It's just good-natured fun that through excellent artwork and writing manages to transcend its medium to become something more.

Ya know what? I think I got it perfectly right earlier. Housepets! is the Pixar of webcomics.
I don't know how many of the most recent Pixar films you've seen if you think they're happy, positive and friendly :lol:
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Teh Brawler wrote:
naylorfan90 wrote:This may sound weird to y'all, but the reason I love Housepets! is because...it just feels like the comic has soul. That's the best way I can think of to describe it. There's a happy, positive, friendly FEEL to it all, like Pixar films. It's just good-natured fun that through excellent artwork and writing manages to transcend its medium to become something more.

I don't know how many of the most recent Pixar films you've seen if you think they're happy, positive and friendly :lol:
Oh, I suppose I didn't word that quite as well as I could've, but you know what I mean. There's just a an undertone of optimism, of how yes, there is sadness and darkness, but there's good stuff too, and that's the stuff important to hold on to. *scratches head in embarrassment* Sorry, I'm an English Major, I can't help but sound overly philosophical at times. :)
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

naylorfan90 wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote:

Oh, I suppose I didn't word that quite as well as I could've, but you know what I mean. There's just a an undertone of optimism, of how yes, there is sadness and darkness, but there's good stuff too, and that's the stuff important to hold on to. *scratches head in embarrassment* Sorry, I'm an English Major, I can't help but sound overly philosophical at times. :)
Oh, hush, it's not that big of a deal. I got what you meant. :)
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hehe, thanks. :)
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Discussion about Pixar movies is not discussion about why you like the comic.

I like Housepets! for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else.

Oh, and I guess it's also still trolling opportunities.

dalonewolf25

Nuke Alert: Code Red

Post by dalonewolf25 »

*gasp* Diss! Quick! Put your cool face on!

I still find Housepets! addicting, as it has this sort of funny, childish/adult humor that appeals to the adolescent age of transition in which the adolescent is bombarded with childish things and adult things at the same time, and since the selected peer group is not far from the selected demographic age of the comic, it appeals to them. And when you have an artist who's willing to explain to his viewers and able to participate and experiment with that age group and the community and his peers, it attracts more of these kind of intellectual people who actually understand the pop culture-ish jokes and messages behind what's given, whether intentional or not by the author.

Watch me make a paradox within a paradox.
Final_Silence

Post by Final_Silence »

Art style is some of the best I've seen, the story is very addicting, characters you can relate to, oh and it's hilarious!
I tell you, life ain't easy for a boy named Sue.
yoyodude

Post by yoyodude »

Teh Brawler wrote: I don't know how many of the most recent Pixar films you've seen if you think they're happy, positive and friendly :lol:
Toy Story 4: Apocalyplse

My friend and I tend to agree that I like Housepets becasue I "suffer from detatchment issues" after I stopped getting the newspaper at out house. Apparently I needed something to latch onto :lol:

Oh and it doesn't suck
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If it replaced the void in your heart left by newspaper comics, then I'd say that's an upgrade! (Good) webcomics like Housepets! are so much better.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

its better than garfield plus characters i can relate to like king
and cutey style and not to mention the well planed story arks
it takes an idiot to do cool things that's why they're cool
soothing no?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

My love of Housepets! was only magnified by Sir Griffin's politeness, plus the awesomeness my fellow fans! :D
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

Though the artwork is definately unique and very adorable, the biggest thing that gets to read Housepets! is the writting. There's just something that's just absolutley charming about the dialouge that makes it so pleaseant to read. The writting have a sort of fatherly warm touch to them, and it treats the readers as if they have a brain. Rick's fantastic sense of humor, along with his clever references also make the comic series more enjoyable.

Another thing is that this a webcomic that is absolutley clean! Any comic that deals with anthropomorphic life tend to have a dark, raunchy (and I do mean raunchy) material, and whilst I'll admit it's good for some variety, it give people the wrong impression on furries (or people like me who just think that anthropomorphic life is just more unique looking). Rick's comic here is just pure clean fun, and it's (almost) family fun attitude always puts me in a happy mood.

I hope one day, I'll be able to achive this kind of heartwarming atmosphere with my writting.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Nitrosparxx wrote:family fun attitude
Attachments
2010-12-01-a-darker-turn.png
2010-12-01-a-darker-turn.png (65.53 KiB) Viewed 13408 times
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

Well, I did say almost
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:
Nitrosparxx wrote:family fun attitude

Well-played, sir.
Crazy-8

Post by Crazy-8 »

mostly for the sense of nostalgia I kind of get, most of the arcs and what not give a feel of sort of a child's life, but modernized a bit, it also reminds me of lots of comic strip comics I used to read as a kid

and the art is pretty cool
garbud

Post by garbud »

i like it becuse i can read it anywere and it is just plain asome
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Nitrosparxx wrote:Though the artwork is definately unique and very adorable, the biggest thing that gets to read Housepets! is the writting. There's just something that's just absolutley charming about the dialouge that makes it so pleaseant to read. The writting have a sort of fatherly warm touch to them, and it treats the readers as if they have a brain. Rick's fantastic sense of humor, along with his clever references also make the comic series more enjoyable.

Another thing is that this a webcomic that is absolutley clean! Any comic that deals with anthropomorphic life tend to have a dark, raunchy (and I do mean raunchy) material, and whilst I'll admit it's good for some variety, it give people the wrong impression on furries (or people like me who just think that anthropomorphic life is just more unique looking). Rick's comic here is just pure clean fun, and it's (almost) family fun attitude always puts me in a happy mood.

I hope one day, I'll be able to achive this kind of heartwarming atmosphere with my writting.
Congratulations Nitro, you just said all I was trying to say, only about a thousand times better than I managed. XD
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

naylorfan90 wrote:
Nitrosparxx wrote:Though the artwork is definately unique and very adorable, the biggest thing that gets to read Housepets! is the writting. There's just something that's just absolutley charming about the dialouge that makes it so pleaseant to read. The writting have a sort of fatherly warm touch to them, and it treats the readers as if they have a brain. Rick's fantastic sense of humor, along with his clever references also make the comic series more enjoyable.

Congratulations Nitro, you just said all I was trying to say, only about a thousand times better than I managed. XD
Yeah I have a habbit of explaining why I like something like a reveiw. I guess I get that from watching countless episodes of Linkara's AT4W.
EmoPeanut

Post by EmoPeanut »

For me, it is because of the idea. Not alot of people can do things like this. It is like a sitcom, but Rick makes it better with the characters and execution. I mean, the mini arcs feel like Garfield strips except a lot better. THe characters have great development, and you just can't hate them, since their so funny. I loathe Garfield now, thanks to his attitude to everything. He is unlikable. But Hosuepets keeps thing fresh and funny. I could see these comics on a newspaper every morning. Heck, That is what Rick should do. But instead of getting payed for making them(IDK if does.) He shows us his work and it great.

YOu usually don't find these types of gems on the internet. Most of them are completely controlled by Companies. The Ironic thing is that not a lot of people know about it. Maybe that is a good thing. Companies can't take it over, and when Rick passes on in a far,far,far,far,far, far future, only the fans will try to restart it. So So I like housepets for its writing, it execution, the idea, and the fact that it will can not, will not, be corrupted by media. It stands alone from all the other comics. It is free and one of my favorite comics because of that. It is different than anything I have seen and I thank it for it
Im crazy......WAFFLES!!!
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

EmoPeanut wrote:For me, it is because of the idea. Not alot of people can do things like this. It is like a sitcom, but Rick makes it better with the characters and execution. I mean, the mini arcs feel like Garfield strips except a lot better. THe characters have great development, and you just can't hate them, since their so funny. I loathe Garfield now, thanks to his attitude to everything. He is unlikable. But Hosuepets keeps thing fresh and funny. I could see these comics on a newspaper every morning. Heck, That is what Rick should do. But instead of getting payed for making them(IDK if does.) He shows us his work and it great.

YOu usually don't find these types of gems on the internet. Most of them are completely controlled by Companies. The Ironic thing is that not a lot of people know about it. Maybe that is a good thing. Companies can't take it over, and when Rick passes on in a far,far,far,far,far, far future, only the fans will try to restart it. So So I like housepets for its writing, it execution, the idea, and the fact that it will can not, will not, be corrupted by media. It stands alone from all the other comics. It is free and one of my favorite comics because of that. It is different than anything I have seen and I thank it for it
You'd actually be surprised how many cartoonists are freelance. They may be shown in newspapers, but they aren't owned by them. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If any of the webcomics I read would work in a newspaper, it'd be Housepets!

Unfortunately, it's still not for the best. It doesn't have too many self-contained jokes, which is a concern when you want your comic to appeal to as many people as possible. It's still pretty niche, even if it is extremely approachable as far as webcomics go.
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

I love the bittersweet moments, it’s all so happy and loving but sadness and despair are never out of the question

the only way I can love Housepets more is if Grape was a Nazi.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

She killed a Commie, what more do you want?
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

that is were I got the idea!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

It's fuzzy and funny animal without being overly furry.
Z-Zman

Post by Z-Zman »

I like it because *chchhhchchchchhhchchchchhchchch* and *chchchchchcchhc*, sorry, I went through a tunnel... :mrgreen:

Elephants are too big to fit in the Bible
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

Why i like it? I like Housepets for... no reason, i like it because i like it, it can't be that simple?
Say my name... and every color iluminates...