An Adventure for the Ages

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Penwrite

An Adventure for the Ages

Post by Penwrite »

Disclaimer: I do not own Housepets. My name is not Rick Griffin. I make no money from the writing of this story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Milton grounds hummed with excitement. Though it was early in the day, just passing 8:00 o’clock, already dozens of tracks crisscrossed the deep snow. A dozen acres of frosty whiteness swarmed with pets of all kinds: cats, dogs, ferrets, rabbits, and even the lone wolf or two, ran about like mad. Laughter and cries of surprise charged the area with excitement, and snowballs whizzed through the air every which way as hills, trees, and the occasional bystander were used as improvised barriers.

Along with this snow fight of epic proportions, others hurried up the tall hills with boards gripped in their paws. The smiles of anticipation on their faces were transformed into screams of exhilaration, scarves of red and blue and yellow streaming back in the wind as their wearers zipped downhill. The bottom would come too soon, and then it was back up, faster this time as the previous rush fueled the excitement.

Around the front porch of the mansion were tables, laden with plentiful portions of all the food and drink a person could ever wish for during a Christmas party. There was turkey, and ham, and stuffing for each. There were rolls and biscuits, gravy with mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, and more casserole than you could shake a stick at. For the drinks there was milk, and eggnog, hot chocolate and cider, but no orange soda. And then the desserts, oh the desserts! There was pudding, and fresh pies that steamed in the chilly air. Apple pies, pumpkin pies, lemon and orange; rhubarb pies, pecan pies, and all sorts of meat pies, filled the air with a heavenly sent that caused the mouth of more than one dog or cat to drool.

On the front steps themselves was set a stage, with several microphones and coolers. Here stood Keene Milton, the de-facto leader of the bunch, watching the servants and hired help continue setting up the food and equipment.

“Lana, do you think we spent too much money on food? They’re still bringing it all out...”

Lana Milton, the sole female of the bunch, looked up from where she lay on her lounge chair and nursed a cup of cocoa. “If it makes you feel any better, Pit would’ve spent twice as much.”

“Eh, I suppose you’re right.” Keene sighed and slipped off his shades. “This is the biggest cameo we’ll have, isn’t it?”
Lana shrugged. “Pretty much.”

Keene sighed again and rubbed his eyes. “I need a soda...”

Just on the edge between the sledding hills and the Milton Woods, Peanut Butter Sandwich narrowed his eyes and sized up his opponent. A snowball rested in the palm of each of his paws, Peanut having scooped them out of the snow-carpeted ground as soon as he had laid eyes on his adversary. He flicked his gaze down and saw that she had done the same.

Blue eyes met yellow, and Peanut found himself grinning to match that feline smirk he had grown to love so much. “Ready, cat?”

“You can bet your biscuit I am, ‘dog’.”

Another second passed, and then suddenly Peanut and Grape launched themselves at each other. Peanut threw first, the snowball in his right paw going off in a crazy haymaker. Grape, with her feline reflexes, easily ducked past the wild throw and then jumped up into the air. She launched both her snowballs down at Peanut as she descended, forcing the mutt to dive to the side. She landed on her footpaws and instantly dived forward, avoiding Peanut’s second throw. She turned her dive into a roll and came back up on all fours.

“Come on Peanut, is this all the tough little doggy can dish out? I’m feeling kinda disappointed.” Grape scooped out two new snowballs before she stood up and turned to face Peanut. “Or...are you just going easy on me ‘cause I’m a girl?”

“Nah, I just don’t want to end the fun too soon.”

Peanut winked and then dived to the side. Grape mirrored him, and for the next several seconds the two best friends strafed each other, throwing and dodging in equal measure. Both had played together so often, in this game and others, they were more than familiar to the other’s moves. It was the kind of knowledge bred in an intimate relationship, two parts that fit perfectly together as a whole.

Peanut weaved and Grape charged.

Grape jumped and Peanut dived.

Neither could gain any effective advantage over the other, and soon enough both grew too tired to take advantage of one if it appeared. Peanut threw his last snowball and stopped to lean against a tree. At the sight of this Grape dropped her own last snowball to the ground and joined Peanut against the tree. Their panting echoed through the surrounding trees as they each fought for breath, exhaustion catching up to them as they both simultaneously slid down the trunk to sit huddled together, backs against the rough bark.

Peanut sighed in contentment and closed his eyes, the crisp December wind whipping through his fur and keeping him cool. Beside him Grape let out a similar sigh, wrapping her scarf tighter as she rested her head against Peanut’s shoulder. Together the two sat there and enjoyed the other’s presence.

“This has been a good day,” Grape whispered, just loud enough for the dog beside her to hear. Peanut nodded his head in agreement and smiled.

“Yep. Sledding, making snowmen, snowball fights. The ferrets should hold parties more often.” His grin grew, and his tail began wagging fast and hard. “And we haven’t even gotten to the best part, the food! Ham and pies and stuffing and-”

Grape lightly bopped him on the head. “Stop moving...you make a nice pillow...”

Peanut settled down, a light blush brightening his face as Grape’s purring reached his ears. Looking down at her resting form, Peanut resisted the urge to place a kiss on her forehead and instead settled for being this close to her.

Soon their combined snoring, light as it was, filled the woods around them. Their huddled together forms made quite the cute picture, to those who soon came upon them.

[Well, I hope it's worth the wait. ^_^ More to come!]
lightwolf21

Re: An Adventure for the Ages

Post by lightwolf21 »

Squeeee! D'awwww. and Yay! for this...
You actually write action scenes pretty well, NaylorFan. ;3

...the Grapenut doesn't hurt, either. X3
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Thanks! ^_^ I have loooots of experience with action scenes, hehe.

And no, Grapenut never hurts at all. XD
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Ooh, Naylor will go to Heaven...^.^
Anyway, the snowball fight with Peanut and Grape is both awesome and eternally cuuuuuuuuuute. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Blue Braixen on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valerio

Post by valerio »

The harsh hand of winter is kept at bay by the TOTAL, WARM, FUZZY CUTENESS of this first chapter.
SQUEEEEEEEEE!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by valerio on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

valerio wrote:The harsh hand of winter is kept at bay by the TOTAL, WAR, FUZZY CUTENESS of this first chapter.
Yay, I feel loved! :D :D

Glad to hear you're liking this so far, heh.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

valerio wrote:The harsh hand of winter is kept at bay by the TOTAL, WARM, FUZZY CUTENESS of this first chapter.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

HA!!! Awesome little match there. I think that this is going to turn out well. You are really descriptive, in a good way.

And DAAWWW and all of that other onomatopoeia too. It was just too cute.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Thanks, Copper! :D
Samson

Post by Samson »

Very nice naylorfan90. You have begun a great piece of literature on this here new fangeled web browsing device. I enjoy your fourth wall breakers in your works. Please continue with this awesome flow of words that span my computer screen.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Samson wrote:Very nice naylorfan90. You have begun a great piece of literature on this here new fangeled web browsing device. I enjoy your fourth wall breakers in your works. Please continue with this awesome flow of words that span my computer screen.
Why thank you, Samson. I insure you, the flow of words will continue.

The words must flow!!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

naylorfan90 wrote:
Samson wrote:Very nice naylorfan90. You have begun a great piece of literature on this here new fangeled web browsing device. I enjoy your fourth wall breakers in your works. Please continue with this awesome flow of words that span my computer screen.
Why thank you, Samson. I insure you, the flow of words will continue.

The words must flow!!
Just don't let the deluge overtake you. I speak from experience when I say that drowning in a flood of words is a horrible experience. :lol:

Just a joke. Don't take it seriously.
My characters
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Needs Housepets: in the title; it definitely deserves it.
Samson

Post by Samson »

Astounding first paragraph and excellent descriptions. The vast vocabulary of adjectives you have used building the winter scene and food were a very good touch and painted a picture of the environment. Every line and scentence were connected perfectly together like pipework through which your story flowed.
Nice work. Job well done and continuing.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Back at the farm, er, mansion, a few tired and cold pets had broken off from the massive snowball wars and wandered over to the waiting food. There was no seating provided, but that didn’t matter to anyone as they shifted from small group to small group, cracking jokes and telling stories.

A massive grin split King’s face as the small corgi turned away from the main food table. It took both his paws to carry his plate, the massive heap of turkey stacked on it forcing the small dog to walk sideways to see where he was going.

“Wow King, think you have enough there?”

King’s ears perked up and he turned to see his best friend Fox walking towards him, a more balanced plate in his paws.

“Hey Fox!” King carefully balanced his plate with one arm and waved to the taller dog. He then grabbed hold of a turkey leg and began eating. “And shou don’t undershtand, Foxsh.” Nom nom nom. “I looove turkey!”

Fox chuckled and pulled his bomber jacket closer. “Yeah, I can see that. Well, as long as you can handle it better than orange soda...”

King rolled his eyes and folded his ears back. “Okay, ONE time at a party I yell for everyone to get naked, and I’m blacklisted for life. Sheesh, I should just crawl back into my den and not come out ‘till summer.”

“Aww, King...” Fox patted King on the head. “You’ll miss the turkey if you do that!”

“...” King took another bite of his turkey leg. “Good point. So, where’s Bino and his gang? Don’t you usually hang out with them?”

Fox frowned and waved an arm in a vague way. “Eh, Bino didn’t wanna come. I guess he remembers how things went the last time he went to anything held by the ferrets.”

King perked an ear up. “Hm? What happened last time?”

Fox chuckled and scratched the back of his head in a nervous gesture he’d picked up from King. “Well ya see, it went something like this:

[Flashbaaaaaaack!]
“We are going to win that prize!”

“Are you gonna give me the mouse or not?”

“Then we’ll just have to improvise...”

“So, is he stupid, or...?”

“Rex! I’m gonna fa—aah! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-” THAMP
[Flashbaaaaack end!]

King stifled a laugh and shook his head. “Aw man, I am gonna be remembering that for whenever I’m feeling mopey. What an idiot!”

Fox chuckled along with King. “Yeah, I suppose. Sometimes I wonder why I hang out with the guy...” Fox sighed and nibbled absently at his food. His thoughts seemed to wander elsewhere.

King finished up the leg while frowning at this. It wasn’t often he saw the husky visibly upset about anything, much less anything to do with Bino.

Looking around he wondered if maybe it was the crowds that were getting to his friend. With Bino and his posse not hanging around, there were a lot more cats then dogs, and King knew that Fox wasn’t really the biggest fan of cats, though he didn’t know why. They all seemed nice enough to King, once past their smart-alecky ways.

King shook away these thoughts and moved forward. He stood up on the tips of his toes to take Fox’s arm and began pulling. “Come on, let’s go to those trees to eat. The branches should’ve blocked the snow somewhat, so we might even be able to sit down without freezing our tails off.”

Fox’s signature grin spread on his face, and he snagged two glasses of eggnog as they passed by the drink table. “Oh King, is that what happened to you?”

Laughing, the two friends broke from the crowd and entered the trees, unaware that there would be quite a few others already within there.

“Awww, aren’t they just the cutest thing you’ve ever seen, Fido hunny?”

Standing beside his secret girlfriend Sabrina, Fido Byron nodded in agreement with her. He had to admit, Peanut and Grape made a cute couple together. It was too bad they were involved with others, he thought to himself; it probably would be in the realm of possibility for him and Sabrina to come out as a couple, if there were others like them.

Not counting Joey and his mouse...partner, Fido quickly added, not very eager to dwell on that particular pairing.

A stray thought occurred to Fido, prompting a smirk to crawl onto his face. He turned to Sabrina and whispered quietly, so as not to wake the sleeping pair. “Hey, do you have that camera I got you as an early gift?”

“Sure, but...oooh, naughty doggy...” Grinning herself, Sabrina took out the Sony digital camera from her scarf and aimed it at Grape and Peanut. “This should make a nice little stocking stuffer...”

“Graaaaaape! Grape, hun? Gwapey wapey, you out here!?”

Sabrina fumbled with the camera as the sudden yells broke her concentration. She and Fido turned to see a black-furred cat with a good chunk bitten out of his ear slowly working his way over. Every now and then he’d stop and call out for Grape.

“Uh-oh,” Fido said. “That’s Maxwell. He must be looking for his girlfriend.”

Sabrina rolled her eyes and slipped the camera back into her collar. “And so I see the fruits of your amazing police dog training.” Max yelled out again, closer this time, and Sabrina sighed. “Come on, I know Max, he’ll freak if he finds them cuddled up like this. We should wake th-”

“No need...” Grape yawned and streeeetched her back, as beside her Peanut continued to doze, completely oblivious to the world around him. Grape chuckled at this and stood up to stretch some more. “Ya know, you two whisper really loudly.”

Fido had the good decency to blush in embarrassment at this comment. Sabrina however lifted a delicate eyebrow and folded her arms. “Oh really? Well, Miss Grape Jelly, maybe if you two snoring so loudly hadn’t attracted us, you might’ve been able to sleep more.”

Now it was Grape’s turn to blush. “I-I do not snore! Ask anyone! Ask Peanut!”
“Zzzzz-blu-wha?”

“Ask Fido!”

“Whoa hey, leave me out of this!”
“Ask Max!”

“Ask me what?”

Grape, Fido, Sabrina, and the newly-awakened Peanut turned to look at Max, making him freeze mid-step. “Uh...what?” He turned to Fido and Sabrina and waved. “Oh hi Sabrina, hi dog. Hope you two are enjoying your obviously-not-date-because-that’d-be-really-weird-if-it-was!”

Fido and coughed and took a healthy couple of steps away from the black-furred female. So uh, what brings you out here, Max?”

Max shrugged. “I just came out here to get Grape. The food’s been all set out, and the ferrets are talkin’ about letting everyone in to the ‘Super Awesome Ballroom of Dancingness’. And so...” He strutted over to Grape and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “How ‘bout it, babe? Wanna tango with your studmuffin?”

Grape grinned and gave the arm around her shoulders a tug. “Tango? I don’t think so...” She twisted and threw him over her shoulder to the ground, eliciting a startled squeak from him. “I’m a bit more inclined to the ‘ballroom blitz’ really.”

The surrounding pets laughed while Max just looked up at her in a daze. Sabrina walked over and poked him with a toe. “It’s obvious why you were able to go Judo on him so easily. With such a massive chip on his shoulder he’s all top-heavy.”

Grape giggled and joined in on the poking. “That sounds about right. Don’tcha think, Peanut?” She waited a few seconds but got no reply. “Peanut, are you listening? Did you fall asleep aga-”

Looking up from Max, Grape looked around and blinked. “Hey, where’d Peanut get off to?”

Sabrina looked up too. “I guess...wherever Fido got off to?”
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

OH MAH GAWD DISAPPEARING PETS
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Tha Housedog wrote:OH MAH GAWD DISAPPEARING PETS
*giggles*

Want a drumstick?
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

naylorfan90 wrote:
*giggles*

Want a drumstick?
TURKEY PLEASE.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Tha Housedog wrote:
naylorfan90 wrote:
*giggles*

Want a drumstick?
TURKEY PLEASE.
I'd give you the bird, but the network won't allow it. *giggles and hands over a big platter of turkey*
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

naylorfan90 wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:TURKEY PLEASE.
I'd give you the bird, but the network won't allow it. *giggles and hands over a big platter of turkey*
YAY IT'S THANKSGIVING ALL OVER AGAIN THANK YOU.
*Nom nom nom*

I liked the reactions that Fox and King give...they were completely in character. Also, it seems slightly odd that Fido and Sabrina wouldbe together here- they would both know that many other animals would be there, and they're afraid to get caught.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Exactly, tons of other animals would also be there; both cats and dogs, mingling together.

Plus, it says on the cast page that he's the one who keeps the peace between cats and dogs. So I figure being seen with a cat at a mixed-group party wouldn't seem too out of the ordinary for him.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Aww, so much more cuteness, fun and*NUU! Not disappeating pets! Give me back my cuties!!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

*giggles* Y'all are funny. They just walked away! :P
valerio

Post by valerio »

naylorfan90 wrote:*giggles* Y'all are funny. They just walked away! :P
My, they're two stealthy pets!
Watch for them when it's time for Halloween scaries, folks!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Great update Naylorfan. Let me guess:

Fido and Peanut walk into the woods, discussing cat lover things. Y'know, the budding relationship between Peanut and Grape, and Fido and Sabrina, as well as the fact that Grape and Peanut know. Anyways that is when a portal opens in front of them, and an interdimensional traveler pops out and tells them that he needs their help. Apparently Fido and Peanut are instrumental in quelling the whole cat-dog feud and ending the prejudice against interspecies relationships.

Am I right? Nah.

What you have planned is more awesome than anything I could come up with, more than likely. Anywho, I can't wait for the next update.
My characters
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

copper wrote:Great update Naylorfan. Let me guess:

Fido and Peanut walk into the woods, discussing cat lover things. Y'know, the budding relationship between Peanut and Grape, and Fido and Sabrina, as well as the fact that Grape and Peanut know. Anyways that is when a portal opens in front of them, and an interdimensional traveler pops out and tells them that he needs their help. Apparently Fido and Peanut are instrumental in quelling the whole cat-dog feud and ending the prejudice against interspecies relationships.

Am I right? Nah.

What you have planned is more awesome than anything I could come up with, more than likely. Anywho, I can't wait for the next update.
You're in the ballpark, I'll tell ya that. :P
Samson

Post by Samson »

A very nice and beautifully written update. Excellent work!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Thank you, Samson.
Samson

Post by Samson »

You are quite welcome to the fullest extent of generosity I can muster with my feeble human brain. Which you have entertained with your wonderful work of writing I must say.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

“Peanut, hey Peanut!”

Peanut stopped walking and turned to see Fido running after him. “Oh, hey Fido. What are you doing?”

Fido came to a stop beside Peanut and shrugged. “I saw you leave, so I thought I would follow. Besides, it’s no fun being the only dog in a group of cats, even when you’re a cat lover. Right, Peanut?”

Peanut didn’t answer, as he was going through a BSOD from Fido’s words. Two minutes later he snapped out of it and looked at Fido nervously. “Uh, I’m not really sure what you’re talking about...”

“Peanut, let’s walk.” Fido began walking without waiting for his fellow dog to agree. The sound of another pair of footpaws crunching in the snow made him smile. Together the pair walked through the trees, no specific destination in mind.

“There’s no need to keep up the act around me, Peanut. You really, really like Grape, I can tell. Don’t forget, I’m your senior in this sort of thing.”

“Right, right.” Peanut adjusted his scarf and sighed. “I just got a bit uncomfortable watching Grape and Max like that. She and I both decided that we’d be just friends, but it’s hard for me.”

Stepping over a fallen branch, Fido nodded in understanding. “I know what you mean. Did ya know that Sabrina was still with Max when I met her?” When Peanut shook his head Fido nodded. “Yep. Biggest lovebirds I ever met. In a Han Solo/Princess Leia sort of way. I felt real bad for him when it fell apart.”

“Yeah, I...bet.”

Peanut coughed, uncomfortable with the subject. The two fell into silence as they continued to walk, the sound of the snow crunching beneath their footpaws the only sound to be heard in the woods. The wind picked up, making Peanut shiver. Fido noticed this and nudged Peanut. “Hey, we should head back to the mansion. They’ll probably have some hot cho-”

“ACHOO!”

Both dogs jumped at the sudden sound, their heads whipping around for the source. Another sneeze came, followed by two voices: one sounding concerned, the other annoyed. Peanut perked an ear up and grinned. “Hey...I know that complaining!”

King sneezed and groaned. “Uugh...I hate the cold, I hate snow, I hate winter. I like jackets though.”

Sitting on the ground beside him, Fox rolled his eyes and adjusted his jacket. “Well, maybe you should get one of your own then. And no, you may not wear mine. I happen to need it at the moment for the very important job of not-freezing.”

King sneezed again and collapsed backwards, lying beside his turkey-free plate. “Ya know, I really did think there’d be less snow here...”

Fox sighed and picked up his plate, idly tossing the cheap plastic in the air and catching it as it fell, before doing it again. “Well hey, maybe someone’s thinking about ya. I think that’s a Japanese superstition, where you sneeze if someone is thinking about you somewhere.”

King just looked at Fox oddly. “Right, I’ll put that idea right next to my big Kitsune statue. Because as we all know-”

Peanut burst through the snow dune they were sitting beside and tackled King. “HEY KING!!!”

King yelped as he was tackled by a flying Peanut, and Fox jumped up and out of the way as the two dogs rolled over where he’d been lying. He turned at the crunch of snow and saw Fido walking through the Peanut-shaped hole. Fox jerked a thumb over the wrestling blur of fur and lifted an eyebrow. “Is he yours?”

Fido shrugged and joined the husky in watching the wrestling pair. The police dog chuckled as King pinned Peanut to the ground. “Maybe. I see the little guy’s got another friend.”

Peanut got his legs between their bodies and with a grunt pushed King off. Fox flinched as King sailed through the air before smashing through another snow dune and leaving a King-shaped hole. Peanut barked excitedly and dove through it. Fox made to follow, before Fido’s paw on his shoulder stopped him. He turned and looked at Fido, and received a shrug in answer. “Let them wrestle some. Peanut needs a good cheering up. Besides, King seems the type to walk away if he’s not enjoying himself.

Fox had to admit, that was King. So instead he turned back to the direction vague sounds of wrestling could be heard coming from and called out. “Hey Peanut, King! Fido and I are heading back to the party! Join us when you’re done, ‘kay?”

Something that sounded vaguely like an okay drifted over to them, so with a shrug Fox picked up the plates and followed Fido.

Peanut waited until the crunch of footsteps faded away, before getting off of King and helping him up. He dusted the light, powdery snow off before grinning. “So hey, what’s up little buddy?”

King shook his body free of snow and stretched. “I’m definitely not. Why’d you have to go and tackle me like that?”

“I thought it would be fun and funny.” Peanut grinned and brushed some snow King had missed off of the corgi’s head. “So, where are the cubs? I saw Miles, Daryl, and Lucretia in the snow fight earlier, so I figured that you were home watching them.”

“Heh, you would think that.” King puffed his chest out and began strutting in the direction of the mansion. “I’ll have you know though, that your girlfriend Tarot randomly came by and offered to watch them for me. So here I am.”

Peanut blinked and followed King. “Oh, so that’s why she isn’t here. Hmm...” Peanut narrowed his eyes and concentrated. “Tarot hunny, you there?”

“Hello Peanut my darling. Did King just tell you that I’m watching the cubs?”

“Yeah, he said you showed up out of the blue and offered to watch them. So what’s up, what’s the deal?”

Tarot didn’t answer for several seconds, and when she did Peanut thought she sounded a bit distracted. “I’m sorry sweety-pie, I can’t really tell you right now. It’s vastly important for everyone that things go exactly as I have foreseen.”

Peanut rolled his eyes and gave a mental image of him pouting. “Taroooooot! You know I don’t like it when you look into the future about me but don’t tell me. It’s like cheating!”

“I’m very sorry, sweety. Oops, it’s about time. Sorry hun, I have to go now. I love you, and...please stay safe.”

“Tarot, wait! Stay safe from what? Tarot!?”

Peanut got no answer, and with a shake of the head he broke the connection. Looking around a moment to remember where he was, Peanut jogged up to level with King. “Hey King, was Tarot acting strangely when she showed up?”

King lifted an eyebrow at Peanut. “You mean stranger than usual? No, she was about the same mix of sweetness, all-knowingness and absent-mindedness she usually is. Why?”

Peanut didn’t get a chance to answer. Up ahead, dozens of loud screams of astonishment and awe rang out. King and Peanut shared a look, and then broke into a sprint for the party. They burst out of the trees to see all the collected pets scattering in all directions. The tables were knocked over and food lay trampled. Peanut could see Keene up on stage, trying to keep calm everyone down from whatever had set them off. The rest of the ferrets where nowhere to be seen in the chaos.

A few feet to Peanut and King’s right Grape, Max, and Sabrina all burst from the woods just like they had. A second later Fox and Fido joined them, this time to the left. Peanut motioned for the two dogs to follow, and then ran over to join Grape’s group.

“Graaaape! What’s happening!? King and I were just moving through the woods, and then we heard screaming!”

“Same here,” Grape replied. She looked around at everyone running around and frowned. “I haven’t seen so many people panicking since that big gryphon was seen...”

Peanut felt something, like a tug on his mind, and without thought he turned and looked in the direction of Babylon Gardens proper. His eyes widened and he took a step back. “G-guys...look...”

Grape, Max, Sabrina, Fox, King, and Fido all turned to see what Peanut had seen. Grape, Max, Sabrina, Fox, King, and Fido all adopted similar looks of shock. They craned their necks up and gazed at the impossible sight.
A blinding beam of green light shot up into the sky above Babylon Gardens. Around the beam clouds were formed, bolts of green lightning crackling within them. The sky directly against the beam was a like the blackest night without stars. To most of those watching, the darkness seemed still; however, the sharpest-eyed watchers could see the tiniest bit of movement as the darkness slowly spread outwards from the beam.

King followed the beam down from the sky and gasped when he realized where it was coming from. “The cubs!”

“What!?” Peanut looked at King, followed his gaze down to the streets of their neighborhood, and felt the blood drain from his face. Before he realized what he was doing he was running for the exit to the mansion grounds, King and the others following close behind him and calling out his name. Peanut could only think of one thing though.

“TAROOOOOT!”
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

What is happening here?
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Barkeron wrote:What is happening here?
I get the feeling that you don't like it.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Looks like Tarot is in terrible trouble.
Definitely a great cliffhanger, nayl!
I love this story! :mrgreen:
ChristopherJackal

Post by ChristopherJackal »

Oh my! I may be the only to say something isn't wrong, but I'm probably wrong!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Tha Housedog wrote:
Oh, you're just sayin' that.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

naylorfan90 wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:
Oh, you're just sayin' that.
Nope! I thik it's very well written! :mrgreen:
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

What happen.

Someone has set up the cliffhanger.

We don't get single.

Private Elliot makes meme bad.
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

naylorfan90 wrote:
Strange, what makes you say that. I likey this fic. lol. :mrgreen:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Barkeron wrote:
naylorfan90 wrote:
Strange, what makes you say that. I likey this fic. lol. :mrgreen:

Sorry. It just sounded...harsh to me, I guess. :?
valerio

Post by valerio »

Wow!
Tal about cliffhangers out of nowhere!
This ficcie keeps being great! Welcome back to the world of the writers, Naylorfan! :mrgreen: