Homework Thread

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Homework Thread

Post by Sleet »

If I were to answer honestly and without brown-nosing, if I was asked what I hope to gain from a college's classes I'd just say "the knowledge and skills necessary to perform well in my career of choice." It's blunt and boring but it's true. I'm not going to college right now to learn about leadership and community or any of that hippie bullcuss.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Well I'm giving it a lot of thought, I still haven't even chosen a topic yet.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I don't even remember why I went. That's probably a bad thing.

Oh, so I could be on TV.

Hi, I'm an egomaniac.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

we are doing debates in social studies tomorrow and i need help finding pros and cons for two subjects
1. should school uniforms be inforced?
2. should public smoking be outlawed entirely?
any ideas
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

1.)
Pro: better discipline
Pro: no teasing based on clothing or the economic status implied by said clothing
Con: lack of individuality
Con: increased costs

2.)
Pro: better health
Pro: less litter
Con: removing establishments' freedom to allow smoking
Con: could encourage domestic smoking, increasing second-hand smoke for family members like children
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Yes! Finally, we are actually talking about something I know! Although you should have posted this earlier, so people will have more time to think or more time to see your question.

Other than what Sleet said, Googling about "why should school uniforms be enforced?", "why shouldn't school uniforms be enforced?", "why should public smoking be outlawed?", "why shouldn't public smoking be outlawed?" should give you more ideas too.

And you should post your arguments, perhaps we can help you to improve it or find flaw. Although I don't know if this post would show up on Google or not... :/

I will see if I can think of anything later.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i would have posted these earlier, but we were given this today, and i had forgotten
also thanks for the points
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Well, I wasn't able to come up with a lot of thoughts, and I don't know if I am too late or not. I just wish you posted your arguments first, I could get more ideas that way.

Since I think it is probably going to be very difficult to defend the second topic, I will just focus on being the opposition of the second topic.

Should public smoking be outlawed entirely or not basically comes down to personal freedom verses public health. Usually some people would just argue for the importance of personal freedom, but it isn't exactly right to endanger other people's health for mere personal freedom. Instead, a better argument would be trying to find a compromise between Freedom and Health, instead of an absolute ban. (Since the topic is about "should public smoking be outlawed entirely" after all.)

A way to do this is to present a better alternative than an absolute ban, in which you get to preserve personal freedom AND public health. While an absolute ban would sacrifice personal freedom. Your alternative would be a win-win solution, whereas the absolute ban has to sacrifice personal freedom.

The weak point of this argument is that the alternative usually requires more fund than simply banning them, making the alternative costly. You should go for a less costly alternative/policy if you can.

In short, I would emphasis on:
- Personal Freedom
- The difficulty to quit smoking (it is quite difficult)
- A better alternative that protects personal freedom AND public health (without being too costly if possible)

Just my 2 cents, there could be more flaws than I thought however.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I guess this question would be more for the forumites in the United States, since it's for my civics class.

Any good websites to search for homes for sales? (Look at my location) Perferablly a foreclosure website. And I really do not want to have to sign up with anything to be able to use the website. Would also be useful to have the scrolling list things to choose the number of bedrooms and bathrooms in the house.

How can I figure out what a student loan would cost? Everywhere I look, you have to apply/sign up to figure out payment costs and interests rates. Any good websites?
(I really don't want to give out the name of the college I'm looking at- but it's for a bachelor's degree in Computer/Information Sciences.... uhmm... if that information would help any. ^_^; )
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I googled it and got a site called bankforeclosuressales.com, there are probably quite a few others.

As for the student loans, I think that question could be best answered by the admissions office of your selected college. They can probably give you a few free sites to figure it out.

Sorry if this doesn't help at all, but it's all I can think of right now.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Thank you Copper, but I've already looked at that website as well. :/

I know I ought to call the college, buuuuut... I suppose I can work on the car and (try to) work on the house and utilites and stocks and such until Monday.

Personal Finance Project... Really fun, but not enough time/help from the teacher to do it. -.-'
scruffer

Post by scruffer »

If you need to find some foreclosure properties, you can always talk to a realtor. Just tell them that you are not looking to buy, if you are not really looking to buy a house, in order to avoid wasting their time.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Why don't you just make a fake account or something, Beagle? Considering that you are not going to buy anything, I don't think that is going to matter.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Aquablast wrote:Why don't you just make a fake account or something, Beagle? Considering that you are not going to buy anything, I don't think that is going to matter.
I already have 12+ emails. D: And I don't like registering to anything like that anyways, and I don't like randomly giving out information. And it's always requiring a bunch of confirmation bullcrap, blah, blah, blah. I'd just rather not.
My trial of Microsoft Word on my old laptop was registered to SpongeBob SquarePants. :D
Anthroguy101

Trig help

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Maybe mathgrant could help me with this one. I keep having problems knowing how to find the position of an angle (in radians) on a unit circle. How do I figure it out? What if the angle is greater than 2pi or less than 0? Is there a formula or something?
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Argh! I have to build a toothpick bridge for Physics. :(
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Trig help

Post by Sleet »

Anthroguy101 wrote:Maybe mathgrant could help me with this one. I keep having problems knowing how to find the position of an angle (in radians) on a unit circle. How do I figure it out? What if the angle is greater than 2pi or less than 0? Is there a formula or something?
You mean x and y coordinates? Here's what you do:

Just work with the first quadrant (top-right) for now. Imagine the unit circle and a line going from the origin out at that angle. Then draw a line straight down from that point where it intersects the circle. This should give you a right triangle with a hypotenuse length of 1 (since it's a unit circle), base length of x and base height of y,so that your point on the circle is (x,y). The angle between the base and the line you drew is by definition θ. So we can use the properties sin(θ)=opposite/hypotenuse and cos(θ)=adjacent/hypotenuse. Since the hypotenuse is 1, the opposite leg is the vertical line you drew with length y, and the adjacent leg is the horizontal line with length x, sin(θ)=y/1 and cos(θ)=x/1. Or, sin(θ)=y and cos(θ)=x. Explicitly, x=arccos(θ) and y=arcsin(θ). If your circle isn't a unit circle, you can just substitute the radius for the hypotenuse, so you use r instead of 1. This will give you x=rcos(θ) and y=rsin(θ), the more general form. This works for all four quadrants, negative angles and angles greater than 2π as well, since an angle of, say, 3π is the same as an angle of π, as is -π. If you ever have an angle like that, just either add or subtract 2π until you get an angle between 0 and 2π.

Does that make sense? Or did I misunderstand your question entirely?
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Sleet wrote:
Anthroguy101 wrote:Maybe mathgrant could help me with this one. I keep having problems knowing how to find the position of an angle (in radians) on a unit circle. How do I figure it out? What if the angle is greater than 2pi or less than 0? Is there a formula or something?
You mean x and y coordinates? Here's what you do:

Just work with the first quadrant (top-right) for now. Imagine the unit circle and a line going from the origin out at that angle. Then draw a line straight down from that point where it intersects the circle. This should give you a right triangle with a hypotenuse length of 1 (since it's a unit circle), base length of x and base height of y,so that your point on the circle is (x,y). The angle between the base and the line you drew is by definition θ. So we can use the properties sin(θ)=opposite/hypotenuse and cos(θ)=adjacent/hypotenuse. Since the hypotenuse is 1, the opposite leg is the vertical line you drew with length y, and the adjacent leg is the horizontal line with length x, sin(θ)=y/1 and cos(θ)=x/1. Or, sin(θ)=y and cos(θ)=x. Explicitly, x=arccos(θ) and y=arcsin(θ). If your circle isn't a unit circle, you can just substitute the radius for the hypotenuse, so you use r instead of 1. This will give you x=rcos(θ) and y=rsin(θ), the more general form. This works for all four quadrants, negative angles and angles greater than 2π as well, since an angle of, say, 3π is the same as an angle of π, as is -π. If you ever have an angle like that, just either add or subtract 2π until you get an angle between 0 and 2π.

Does that make sense? Or did I misunderstand your question entirely?
Can I get a visual or something? What if the angle is greater than pi/2 or negative? Like, what are the coordinates if it's 2pi/3 or -2pi/3? How does one figure that out?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If the angle is greater than π/2 or less than 0, you can do it anyway; x and/or y will just be negative. If you use a calculator to find sines and cosines, it should be able to do it for you. So if it's 2π/3, (x,y) = (-1/2, sqrt(3)/2), or for -2π/3 it's (-1/2, -sqrt(3)/2).

EDIT: Ignore what I said about the arcsine and arccosine in the last post. That was a mistake. :P Just that one sentence.
Attachments
Visual.png
Visual.png (64.19 KiB) Viewed 20370 times
Last edited by Sleet on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thoughtwright

Post by thoughtwright »

The (x,y) coordinate of a point on a unit circle is x=cos(θ), y=sin(θ). Even if you have a strange angle like -2pi, sin(-2pi)=0 and cos(-2pi)=1. If that's still strange, the trig functions are periodic (they repeat every 2pi) so you can just add or subtract 2pi and it's not going to change the result. You should know the in-between units like sin(pi/4)=sqrt(2)/2; sin(pi/6)=1/2; and so on.
Maybe you want to read through this (though it has more information than even I've ever needed but it can't hurt) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_circle
A-coro

Post by A-coro »

so...can I get someone to do a quick peer review for my English paper? Just wanna know if it looks consistent, organized, and all that other important junk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We can remember with relative ease the day that we lost the magic in our lives that was Santa clause. Like an initiation into the world of adults, the loss of our faith in the fat man is a mark that we are no longer naïve enough to believe in the stories of magic and wonder, and are ready to face the world and it’s unmerciful reality. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing. As children, we need something simple and pure to believe in, and Santa Clause is the most convenient figure to place our hopes in. Just as importantly though, we need to accept that the world doesn’t run on flying reindeer and toy-making elves. We’ve all accepted that truth, but maybe there’s more to it than just leaving behind our childish notions. Now that we understand that Santa isn’t real, it’s important to re-capture the spirit that Santa invoked in us, if for no other reason than because it is impractical.

I say that we need to be impractical at times because when we indulge in occasional instances of silliness, it helps to relieve some of the stress that we accumulate throughout the day. On a good day, I have a good four or five hours of free time. The rest of it is spent on work, school work, and friends. If I were to only think about the practical issues all day, I’m pretty sure I’d snap. I need time to relax and spend some time doing some completely arbitrary and pointless activity. Weather it’s watching some cartoons, or setting up a friendly prank, I need to be able to do something that lets me pretend that I don’t have any problems.

There’s nothing that helps me forget about the tougher issues quite like the Christmas spirit. While I don’t believe in a group of reindeer flying a man around on Christmas Eve, I do believe in the renewed atmosphere of kindness and imagination that comes with the Christmas spirit. I feel that this is a very important distinction to make in our minds: Santa Clause is a fictional character that travels around the world and delivers presents, while the Christmas spirit is the feeling that makes us all a little nicer around the holidays. I can think of nothing else that makes me feel more ate ease than taking a deep breath and simply meditating on the fact that all over town, people are treating each other a little with a little more kindness.

I think this is the most notice-able part of opening up to the holiday experience. As I allow myself to loosen up and act a little silly, I am able to re-live the excitement that I felt back when Santa was still as realistic as an accountant. I am now more experienced, and a little more pessimistic about the world, but I can still be swept up in the Christmas spirit. And if it’s possible for me to re-experience this kind of spiritual uplifting year after year, maybe it wouldn’t be such a big leap to believe in a man in red delivering gifts every Christmas Eve.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

What kind of essay is this? Mostly English teachers want you to avoid using "I" at all costs.

I'll check your grammer, but I have organizational problems of my own, so I would not be the best at that.

1st Paragraph:
Don't use "fat man". Find a more professional sounding synonym for fat.
It's unmerciful reality.............. change to "its unmerciful reality"

2nd Paragraph:
Whether, not weather.

3rd Paragraph:
"There is" not "There's"
"I can think of nothing else that makes me feel more ate ease"
change to "I can't think of anything else that"

4th Paragraph:
Noticeable is one word.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Beagle wrote:What kind of essay is this? Mostly English teachers want you to avoid using "I" at all costs.

I'll check your grammer, but I have organizational problems of my own, so I would not be the best at that.

1st Paragraph:
Don't use "fat man". Find a more professional sounding synonym for fat.
It's unmerciful reality.............. change to "its unmerciful reality"

2nd Paragraph:
Whether, not weather.

3rd Paragraph:
"There is" not "There's"
"I can think of nothing else that makes me feel more ate ease"
change to "I can't think of anything else that"

4th Paragraph:
Noticeable is one word.
"There's" is an acceptable contraction.
Also: take out the first "a little" in the last sentence of the third paragraph.
Last edited by Blue Braixen on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It could have just been a stylistic suggestion. There's more to the correct wording than grammar. I think not contracting it gives a bit more emphasis to the introductory sentence of the paragraph, but I think "there's" doesn't sound bad exactly.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote:It could have just been a stylistic suggestion. There's more to the correct wording than grammar. I think not contracting it gives a bit more emphasis to the introductory sentence of the paragraph, but I think "there's" doesn't sound bad exactly.
Thank you Sleet, for reading my mind and putting that thought into better wording.
A-coro

Post by A-coro »

all righty, last edits have been made and I'll be handing it in here in a bit. Thanks for the help.
Although, to answer Beagle, the teacher wants us to be more personal with our papers, so she prefers it when we write in 1st person. I'm still getting used to that.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hey :) I know that some of you are drawing and painting. So I hope you can help me.

I recently got a homework to lear about color pigments - for what they are used and how they are obtained.
I have to learn about:

- Ceruse
- Titanium white
- Iranian saffron
- Indian yellow
- Antique purple
- Natural ultramarine
- Sepia

I need to know that till thursday. I hope you will be able to help me :) I will really appreciate your help.
I'm a bookworm!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't know much about paint, but Wikipedia is always a good place to start; I'd see if those pigments have articles, and then read the pages in the citations as well.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Sleet wrote:I don't know much about paint, but Wikipedia is always a good place to start; I'd see if those pigments have articles, and then read the pages in the citations as well.

I checked wikipedia, but it doesn't have much information about pigments.
But I was hoping that since here are some poeple who actually study arts, they were also learning about pigments. Also, people from here are from various countries and they have different sources :)
If you'll find some articles Sleet, it would be really nice :) You would really help me.
I'm a bookworm!
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Karlos wrote:I need to know that till thursday. I hope you will be able to help me :) I will really appreciate your help.
Oops... I guess it is too late then? Although it is not like I know the answer or have the time to research it! :lol:

I updated the list anyway though, since maybe someone might know about it and it might help someone else, who knows?
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

that homework sounds interesting... at least you don't have to search the diferences between etical and moral and his definitions... I HATE PHYLOSOPHY
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

theblackcateyes wrote:that homework sounds interesting... at least you don't have to search the diferences between etical and moral and his definitions... I HATE PHYLOSOPHY
On the bright side, whatever the others think doesn't make it any less of a philosophy! Since it is YOUR philosophy after all!
Karl

Post by Karl »

Aquablast wrote:
Karlos wrote:I need to know that till thursday. I hope you will be able to help me :) I will really appreciate your help.
Oops... I guess it is too late then?
Actually, the deadline has been moved. So you still have a chance to help me :)
I'm a bookworm!
The Game

Post by The Game »

Does anyone, anyone, like doing history homework? :?:

If so, are you human? :shock:
Bino

Post by Bino »

i Love my euro homework usually, but it depends on what it's over...

And of course not silly! I'm furry ;3
Bino wrote:I don't have any tricks up my sleeve right now that don't involve roleplaying... :x
So...... *kisses sleet* BOOM! I WIN!
Z-Zman

Post by Z-Zman »

The Game wrote:Does anyone, anyone, like doing history homework? :?:

Well, if they want to do history homework, then they're not human. if your interested in history, that is a totally different story.

Elephants are too big to fit in the Bible
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

The Game wrote:Does anyone, anyone, like doing history homework? :?:

I like it :D I'm at history studies, I have to ;P
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
CY_Law

Post by CY_Law »

Karlos wrote:Hey :) I know that some of you are drawing and painting. So I hope you can help me.

I recently got a homework to lear about color pigments - for what they are used and how they are obtained.
I have to learn about:

- Ceruse
- Titanium white
- Iranian saffron
- Indian yellow
- Antique purple
- Natural ultramarine
- Sepia

I need to know that till thursday. I hope you will be able to help me :) I will really appreciate your help.
*cough* Incognito is a great movie for art student, anyway *cough*

First thing first, as an art student, I do study art and its histories, painting as well, but it's a shame that we don't really go deep into this topic about pigment and paint. Well it is understandable, as, 1) I'm focusing on digital art and animation in the end, 2) synthetic pigment has rendered most of the natural pigments obsolete and 3) some of them are hard to get and even harder to make; rarity of the source, toxicity, chemical and physical resistance and such.

And they're troublesome to be prepared as well, tempera painting for example, the most common method is they take the egg white(later egg yolk instead)[Egg Tempera Paints], and mix it with the pigment, so that it is ready to be used, *which* can get messy, for me xD

As far as I know, all the pigments you listed there are used in painting, so it could be easier for you to refer to a site rather than me explaining it one by one for you xD

http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/artist- ... gments.htm (I checked and can see *hopefully* info about all the pigments you listed there and huge amount of info, but rather summarized for some pigments)
http://www.webexhibits.org/pigments/intro/pigments.html (more detailed but limited amount of info)
And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigment hurrr, Wikipedia asked me to put this here because it demands it *bricked* (lol really, except from quoting from it, I still feel it is a really important site for reference and some extra knowledge though)

There's lots of other useful sites as well, which I would really rather you to search for them on the internet rather than asking people here and possibly get it wrong (like me *bricked* )

Yes noted how hard some pigments to get, we don't really study them, for my class anyway xD
Like the stone Lapis Lazuli, used to make the colour ultramarine, so rare, that it remains the most expensive pigment in the artist market, which we're glad that synthetic ultramarine are available xD (even though paints are still expensive, especially for students)
And another example, Titanium white(Titanium-Zinc white), one of the method to get it is through the oxidation of Zinc(which is later mixed with Titanium oxide to get a more inert pigment, quality wise), since both oxide are white in colour
Lead oxide is also white in colour, but it is also very very toxic, you wouldn't want fumes of the powder to get into your system now do you? xD

Yeah enough of the blabbering, I hope those links help xD
Karl

Post by Karl »

Yes. Yes, those links are very helpful. Thank you very much :) Now I can study those colors.
It was actually hard for me to find anything in internet about those pigments, propably because it's mainly among artists who use the technique of pastel. I was even in library to check old books xD That's why I was asking here, since here are some artists.
But you surprised me with synthetic colors. It's true that they're less expensive than natural ones, but those obtained by minerals or other natural beings are more being searched since they are considered to have "true color". If you will look on both natural and synthetic ultramarine, they colors are actually different.
But those links you provided me will help me understand better about pigments. I really appreaciate your help, it means a lot to me :) I hope to repay this debt to you one day ;)
I'm a bookworm!
CY_Law

Post by CY_Law »

Yes between synthetic colour and natural colour, there *is* difference, 2 major differences in fact, quality and price xD *bricked*
True it is not news that some professional artists would do anything to obtain natural pigments when painting, for example like imitating a certain piece in the past or try to capture the optimum effect of a certain art movement. But still, my point stands at the health hazard brought by various pigment due to its chemical nature xD but eh, "do anything" means something there :B

But anyway, your welcome. and repay? xD It is not even me who prepare all those info, thank them instead :B *bricked*