Another Housepets!-Themed Logic Puzzle

Discuss the comic here
mathgrant

Another Housepets!-Themed Logic Puzzle

Post by mathgrant »

The last time I made a Housepets!-themed logic puzzle, a lot of people were extremely impressed that I was able to arrange the givens in the shape of Peanut and Grape's bone- and fish-shaped pet tags, but many were also daunted by the puzzle not only being very huge, but also involving numbers. So here's a much smaller puzzle that doesn't involve quite so many numbers!

While there's a link to the rules on that page, I will go ahead and explain them here as well. Your goal is to write one letter in each cell of the grid so that those letters can be used to spell the words listed below the grid, starting in one space, and then moving one space at a time up, down, left, or right (and not diagonally). Each word starts in the numbered space indicated, and the first move must be in the direction indicated by the arrow; the rest is for you, as the solver, to determine. In the example puzzle below, for instance, the word ONE must be spelled by starting with cell 1 for the first letter, moving one cell to the left for the second letter, and then moving one more cell in some direction for the final letter. Some letters will be used in more than one word (such as the O in ONE and TWO, or the R in THREE and FOUR), but no cell may be used more than once in the same word.

The actual puzzle (linked to above in the first paragraph) involves the names of Housepets! characters. (Note that punctuation and spaces, such as in MR. BIGGLESWORTH, are to be ignored, and not entered in the grid.) If you can prove that you've solved it (preferably by PMing me -- don't spoil the fun for others!), then I'll honor your puzzle-solving efforts in my signature! I can't think of a better reward at the moment, so settle for that. :)

[edit]I almost forgot to thank Buckdida for his Housepets! information thread, which greatly assisted in this puzzle's construction.[/edit]
Last edited by mathgrant on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebly

Re: Another Housepets!-Themed Logic Puzzle

Post by Ebly »

brb guys killing my brain

Edit: That was fun!
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Alex

Post by Alex »

This looks fun :D. I might try it later. Nicely done, mathgrant.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Whoowho! Got this one done. That was fun. I got it in a timely 15 minutes...though I'm sure others did better.

Now to try that other big fat one with all the numbers...
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Buckdida wrote:Now to try that other big fat one with all the numbers...
Easier than it looks! Much so!
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Ebly wrote:
It must be easier than it looks, because Mr. Juicy Wolf-Cat has already completed it. :)

According to my records, the "big fat one with all the numbers" has been solved by (in alphabetical order) Buckdida, Ebly, Palmer Mebane (a fellow puzzlesmith and blogger), ralphmerridew, and yyw.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

mathgrant wrote:
Ebly wrote:
It must be easier than it looks, because Mr. Juicy Wolf-Cat has already completed it. :)

According to my records, the "big fat one with all the numbers" has been solved by (in alphabetical order) Buckdida, Ebly, Palmer Mebane (a fellow puzzlesmith and blogger), ralphmerridew, and yyw.
Well I was away the past two days basically partying and then relaxing with friends, so I am a bit behind on the forums.

Speaking of being behind, I am really beating myself up metaphorically over not having actually played around with more of your puzzles.
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Ebly wrote:Well I was away the past two days basically partying and then relaxing with friends, so I am a bit behind on the forums.
I don't think you would have had any way of knowing Buckdida completed the puzzle without being present in IRC chat while he was doing it. :)