i got glasses!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Dubiousity

Re: i got glasses!

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:I would love a monocle. Not necessarily to wear all the time, but at least for fun and/or around friends.
And if you got surprised it could pop out in a comical fashion.

BRILLIANT!
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

I wear glasses for everything, very short-sighted, but I wear contacts when wearing glasses would be a liability.
For example I wear contacts for sailing, kickboxing etc. and there have been cases for each where if I were wearing my glasses I would have caught a face full of broken plastic.

By the way, take it from me. Never wear glasses to a rock concert, they got knocked off my face and the crowd was so tightly packed it was like a giant mosh pit. I never even found the pieces, still worh going to the show though! :D
May you lead an interesting life.
Ozzy - S5 P7 E4 C3 I10 A8 L5
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

My vision has been getting steadily worse since I was 10.
Objects need to be within inches to appear clearly now.
At this point, I'm pretty much legally blind.

Hopefully I can get laser eye surgery later in life.
Though the thought of it frightens me to no end.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They only do one eye at a time, and the worst that can happen (which is still very unlikely) is an eye stops working completely. It's not going to be dangerous in any other way.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Esquire Fox- My best friend is actually legally blind. She has to get new glasses every few months, she's got astigmatism in both eyes and her eyes are about 120/15. Always entertaining to hear her yell: "It's like seeing in HD!!" when she gets her new pair. =)

I can totally understand with the fear of eye surgery. I'm actually supposed to have an eye surgery (read my first post in this thread- that's only a piece of the matter), but I'd rather deal with that than have surgery. :? It's not mandatory, thankfully.

@Sleet- You're not helping either of us, you know. :P
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Corrective eye surgery is very minor surgery. If your eyes are bad enough that you can't see without it, you don't really have much to lose at all. And that's just the worst case scenario. More than likely you'll be fine.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Psykeout wrote:PICS!

all the females in my family have glasses, and the males are blessed (cursed?) with fine vision. id kinda like an excuse to wear glasses. :3
Get a lens-less pair of glasses!
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Sleet- I have 50/20 vision in my left eye, with astigmatism in my right.

When I was little, I had a lazy eye that the doctor never noticed. So as I got older, it never got corrected. My optomitrist believes this to be the reason one eye is so bad, and the other eye is nearly perfect (I used to be right eye dominant, but now it varies day-to-day) Now when I'm reading without my glasses, I sometimes see double. But I can actually catch myself when my eyes are unfocused... it's rather strange.

So because I can control it, my optomitrist isn't requiring surgery. It's alway pretty cool, I've got some extreme perhipial vision. Prevented my cousin from pouring a bottle of Mountain Dew on my head as a prank a few years ago. :P

My vision is the one reason I'm glad about my height. The taller you get, the worse your eyes get. I was 5'0 when I started wearing glasses; 48/20. I've grown two inches in 5 years; 50/20. And Sleet, you know all about Biology so you understand why when I say I'm done getting any taller. ;)

@DLW- I love that avatar! =)
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

Beagle wrote:@Esquire Fox- My best friend is actually legally blind. She has to get new glasses every few months, she's got astigmatism in both eyes and her eyes are about 120/15. Always entertaining to hear her yell: "It's like seeing in HD!!" when she gets her new pair. =)
This is how it is whenever I update my prescription. My eyes get worse so gradually you don't notice it until you get an updated prescription. Then all of a sudden you're like "Look at that!" and people are like "what?" and you say "It's a leaf!" Yeah, it's happened several times where I got new glasses and I realised I couldn't see leaves in trees, just green blobs. :P
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
Beagle wrote:@Esquire Fox- My best friend is actually legally blind. She has to get new glasses every few months, she's got astigmatism in both eyes and her eyes are about 120/15. Always entertaining to hear her yell: "It's like seeing in HD!!" when she gets her new pair. =)
This is how it is whenever I update my prescription. My eyes get worse so gradually you don't notice it until you get an updated prescription. Then all of a sudden you're like "Look at that!" and people are like "what?" and you say "It's a leaf!" Yeah, it's happened several times where I got new glasses and I realised I couldn't see leaves in trees, just green blobs. :P
YES!! rofl!! That's the EXACT same thing that I did!!
When I got my very first pair of glasses, I was looking out the car window, and all of a sudden, I noticed the trees looked all nice and detailed like they did on TV. I was looking around like an idiot, going, "Oh my God!!!" :lol:

And The Moon!! I finally understood what people were saying when they said they could see craters on the moon! Before, all I saw was a really big white blob in the sky. :P
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

I always say that with every new pair :lol:

Psykeout wrote:PICS!

There you have an almost new pair of glasses.
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Divinaparadiso4

Post by Divinaparadiso4 »

I have both glasses and contacts. Only wear the glasses of my contacts are bothering me or when I really want to look more suave. Switched to contacts cause I would always break my glasses and for playing sports.
Hey look a distraction!!!!
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

I don't need glasses right now. But, after talking to my family's optometrist, I may need glasses. I have very good long-range vision, but my short-range vision isn't that good. My vision also tends to get a little fuzzy every now and then, so I may need reading glasses.

I guess that's my punishment for making fun of my mom, dad, friends, and girlfriend because of their glasses. :lol:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I don't like you anymore, ctcmjh. You can't just make fun of the visually impaired without suffering the consequences!

I had some bad experiences in the 3rd grade.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?

Post by 0404 »

Because of my Giant hipster glasses; I can't wear a hockey goalie helmet because of my Giant hipster glasses.
Because of my Giant hipster glasses; 3D glasses won't fit over my Glasses :x :x :x :x :x
Because of my Giant hipster glasses; my filed of view is smaller than one who dose not wear glasses

leopard!
MapleRatty

Post by MapleRatty »

I started wearing mine in the last cluple of weeks of fifth grade...whod have thaught the rading in the dark rumor was true.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

What rumor is that? That reading in the dark damages your eyesight?
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

That myth has been proven false. While reading in the dark can cause eye strain and headaches, it will not damage your eyesight.

The fifth grade is a prime age for children to begin needing glasses. With nearsightedness, especially as you grow, your eyesight progressively gets worse as you get taller. There is no set ratio for eye sight decline and height changes, however. I started needing glasses after my growth spurt in the 4th grade (although I didn't get glasses until the start of the fifth grade). My vision was 48/20, and after growing two and a half inches, my eyesight is now 51/20. My best friend, however, has needed glasses all of her life, and while she's only grown maybe four inches taller within the last six years, her eyesight has gotten substantially worse, far worse than mine ever will be. (She is legally blind without her glasses on.)

Really, it all depends on the shape of your eyeball; the degree to which your eyeball is shaped wrong influences how badly your vision is, and this gets more noticeable as one grows taller. My eyes are only slightly shaped incorrectly, while my friend's is pretty off. The incorrect shape is so small that you can't physically notice it yourself, though. This is like, some extreme science-y microscope stuff they had to do to discover this. :P
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

As soon as I can afford it, I am getting the laser eye surgery. Everyone I know who has had it sees much better. So for about the cost of three trips to the eye doctor, i can go once and never have to worry about glasses ever again!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The only downside is that glasses are sexy.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I've been wearing glasses since I was 8, and I can't really remember what it was like to see without them. All of my family wears contacts except me since I have extremely sensitive eyes. I can't even open them under water without lots of pain.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Zukio wrote:I have extremely sensitive eyes. I can't even open them under water without lots of pain.
I don't open my eyes under water either. The feeling of water against my open eyes bothers the heck out of me, and I'm pretty sure it's not good to expose our eyes to chlorine in pools or dirty lake water anyway. :P
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Sleet wrote:The only downside is that glasses are sexy.
Well, they're not on me. I have been wearing glasses since I was in elementary school and my eye sight is still getting worse. I just don't want to be dependent on these things anymore.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Beagle wrote:and I'm pretty sure it's not good to expose our eyes to chlorine in pools or dirty lake water anyway.
I'm pretty sure the exposure to chlorine doesn't hurt them. I've done it a lot before and my vision is just fine. Now dirty lake water on the other hand...
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

JeffCvt wrote:
Beagle wrote:and I'm pretty sure it's not good to expose our eyes to chlorine in pools or dirty lake water anyway.
I'm pretty sure the exposure to chlorine doesn't hurt them. I've done it a lot before and my vision is just fine. Now dirty lake water on the other hand...
I didn't mean it as a deterrent of vision, I just meant like a general "it's not good for them" type of thing. Eyes are sensitive, and they should have as least amount of chemical exposure as possible.