Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
One-Offs or Arcs? 

Post One-Offs or Arcs?
Just out of curiosity........ Do you prefer one-offs or arcs?

Thank you Housepets! Forum. I've accepted myself.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:01 am

Post Re: One-Offs or Arcs?
Well I personally like both don't get me wrong but I prefer Arcs more simply because there is usually more to discuss with them then one offs.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:07 am

I like both. They have their good and bad points. A one-off is short and doesn't have it's own part in a story, but because it's short if it's not your particular cup of tea you can be glad that the next strip won't deal with the same thing again.

Arcs are the opposite. If you like what the arc is doing, that's great because there's a whole arc of it! If you don't, then you have to wait for the arc to end before something you like more might come your way.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:24 am

Quote:
If you like what the arc is doing, that's great because there's a whole arc of it! If you don't, then you have to wait for the arc to end before something you like more might come your way.

Hmm, that's a very good point...
In Housepets! I prefer arcs, but in some other comics I read they can get a bit... irritating. Depends if the author is purely centred on humour or on story as well I suppose.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:34 am

Yeah, both is my answer, too. One-offs usually make me more laugh than arcs, but arcs are interesting, because you're excited about what'll happen next.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:17 am
Profile WWW

I like them both! One-Offs are rapid and I get to see the characters quicker, while arcs are focused and I get to know about someone/something better!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:29 am

Senator_Sunburst wrote:
I like both. They have their good and bad points. A one-off is short and doesn't have it's own part in a story, but because it's short if it's not your particular cup of tea you can be glad that the next strip won't deal with the same thing again.

Arcs are the opposite. If you like what the arc is doing, that's great because there's a whole arc of it! If you don't, then you have to wait for the arc to end before something you like more might come your way.

Well, I think this person summed it all up. Personally, I like both.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:41 am
Bringing Foxy Back

I tried to think of which I prefer, but I can't. I'm going to have to give another "both" answer. For reasons very similar to those already mentioned.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I like arcs because that means I don't have to rack by brain for a new unrelated idea, I can continue the scenario and already use a bunch of setup without needing to introduce it in the first few panels.

On the other hand, I also like one-offs because of that freedom from story arcs, so I can start exploring more avenues than just one, and often do something I like that I haven't been able to fit into a story arc.

. . . oh wait, this question wasn't for me.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:55 am
Profile WWW

rickgriffin wrote:
I like arcs because that means I don't have to rack by brain for a new unrelated idea, I can continue the scenario and already use a bunch of setup without needing to introduce it in the first few panels.

On the other hand, I also like one-offs because of that freedom from story arcs, so I can start exploring more avenues than just one, and often do something I like that I haven't been able to fit into a story arc.

. . . oh wait, this question wasn't for me.

It's your comic and you can do whatever you want! :x

Or not :?:

To be on topic: Arcs are better. I like stories more than single episodes >:3

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:57 am

Personally, i prefer One-Offs over arcs.
But thats really only a 55% over 45% opinion as One-Offs alone are usually unable to produce 'depth' (sorry, i don't know a better way to put this :oops: )
My 'problem' with arcs is, that they tend to be monotonous quickly and feel very slow. It feels like watching a movie were you only get to see 5 minutes at a time, and then have to wait for a certain amount of time before you can watch the next 5 minutes. ("Are they still on Namek?" anyone?) Obviously, this problem vanishes if the delay between the 5 minute segments nears zero, or if the segments are large enough.

So for me, reading through arcs that are already finished is great. But sitting through an arc that is currently being developed is not all that cool ...

Last edited by Laviic on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:12 am

I like both of them :)

Arc because they tell another weird and crazy story in Babylon Gardens.

And I like One-Offs because I like to see what kind of silly and funny ideas author gets.

So in my opinion, current system is fine.

I'm a bookworm!
Currently reading: "Infection" by Graham Masterton

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:14 am

I believe I enjoy arcs more, I like getting into a story and speculating what could happen.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 am

Dubiousity wrote:
I believe I enjoy arcs more, I like getting into a story and speculating what could happen.

Haha, yeah, I also loved trying to predict storylines until i realized that just letting the story unfold without thinking about it is much more enjoyable :D
The twists and turns hit so much harder when you don't expect them. Fun!

Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:08 pm

I prefer Arcs over one-offs because they are richer in content and they have both serious and funny moments. With every new strip you discover more about the characters, their universe, lifes, etc., all concetrated in one story. Housepets! is a good quality comic because it has an interesting storyline and all kinds of characters and Rick has a huge potential with those elements.

Personally, I would like to read another arc about Fox and King. Maybe the completion of All the King's Men. Also Miles and his pack are really interesting and it would be very funny to place them in more humanlike situations (maybe in the supermarket, haha).

Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:50 pm
Profile YIM
Bringing Foxy Back

I think the benefit to the current format Rick uses is that not all good ideas are made equal. Some have more material than others, therefore are more fitting for longer or shorter arcs, or even single strips.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Extremerator

I think the best strips are one-offs, but the arcs are more consistent. The one-offs are more erratic because they can be a joke about anything, including things you know nothing about, Since the arcs have more character-based jokes, they're more likely to be understood, but less likely to be hilarioriffic.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Puppy Wrangler

I prefer arcs. They are great for exploring the characters, which is usually the best part of the comics I read. One-offs are good for a laugh, and I like them, but I like arcs better.

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:29 pm
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Arcs are good for exploring the characters and watching them grow as well as learning more about the world of Housepets. But One-Offs are also fun.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:07 am
Profile ICQ YIM

Well it depends really about who the characters are.

Because I'm more interested in an one off about Peanut than a arc about Sasha, yet I'll like an arc about King rather than one on Rex.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:06 am

I like both. I really enjoy arcs, because they develop the characters and weave a storyline. I also like to have some one-offs, because they have the charm of witty puns, punchlines, and jokes. I think that both of them make Housepets! what it is.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:33 pm

Location: In the middle of the ocean, where the state looks like a gun.
I agree with you. However, I prefer arcs because I always have that thought in my head after a one-off: "What happened afterward?" However, one-offs have more versatility and is more manipulative and inconclusive, as in, you have to come up with your own resolution/denouement. Also, didn't you, when you were a kid (or still do), read comics from newspapers and checked the next day and it was a different storyline from yesterday in order to adjust it to the punchline?

Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:44 pm
Profile WWW

i have to say that both are wonderful but arcs are better

Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:23 pm

If I had to choose one, I'd have to say arcs. I do so love a good story, and Rick has a great talent for spinning a yarn and connecting the dots....did that make sense?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]