lightwolf21

Housepets: A 'Simple' Date

Post by lightwolf21 »

Housepets: A 'Simple' Date

Based on some of Copper's ideas from the 'Wild Mass Guessing' thread
Written by Lightwolf21
Reviewed by Tha Housedog

Chapter 1

The sun was setting on a crisp winter afternoon. Well, it might have been a bit chilly outside for some woodland critters…but most of the pets of Babylon Gardens were enjoying their heated homes…cats especially, and of those cats, Grape. She leaned over the table admiring a diorama. She’d spent the entire last week preparing the scene. It was the first big project she’d done…having a usual cat-like disposition of lying around the house all day. She overlooked a perfect scale model of the Pridelands battle in The Deredes, which Peanut and she had reenacted with Maxwell and Tarot, using ‘Hyperreal Sensurround’. Well at least they tried to reenact it…before an argument with Grape had caused a complete stop to the fun Peanut was having.

Just a few more touches, Grape thought to herself as she left the room to get some supplies from the garage. In her excitement and anticipation at nearly completing the project, she forgot to lock the door to the spare bedroom she was using to display it.

It only took a second, for Peanut’s curiosity to get the better of him, as he watched Grape walk past the living room’s door to the hallway. He paused the MarioKart game he was playing, and quickly walked down the hallway to the mysterious room Grape had been staying in, most of the time for the past week. what could be so important she needs to keep it a secret from me? Peanut thought, as he tried the door. It was unlocked. “I’ll just take a quick peak.” He whispered to himself as he opened it.

The door opened with a stunning light behind it. He looked inside and found his jaw on the floor. He marveled at the Pridelands scene in its accuracy of portrayal. He even noticed the white dog with huge muscles and red cape featured in the diorama. He picked up the figurine. Just like when we were reenacting it. He remembered the argument he’d had with Grape that day, and he felt a pang of guilt inside him.

“PEANUT! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” Grape shouted at him from the doorway.

Peanut nearly jumped out of his skin. He fumbled with the figurine and tried catching it, but he brought his paws down too hard on the corner of the diorama, breaking it off and sending it flying into his face. Attached to the corner, the castle, and with it, the lions that had been fending off hyenas fell to the ground with a very dazed Peanut. Lions and hyenas were scattered across the room, along with much of the ‘landscape.’ Grape winced as she saw Peanut get smacked in the face and end up on the floor. She ran over to him. “Peanut, are you okay?” she asked with a worried expression on her face. She then noticed the figurines strewn about the ground. "Peanut!... My pride!" Grape said, picking up the remains of some small lion figures off the ground. Her eyes began tearing up, and she balled her paws into fists. That-place-where-bad-people-go-when-they-die hath no fury like a female-friend’s scorn.

“Gr-Grape…” Peanut suddenly looked worried. He hadn’t meant to hurt Grape’s feelings and now he felt he had betrayed her trust by damaging something she’d worked so hard on. “…are-“

“Get out.” Grape quietly said. She may have said it quietly, but her voice was the coldest Peanut had ever heard it.

Peanut got up and walked to the doorway. When he was about to exit the room, he stopped and turned toward her. “Grape, I’m sor-“

Grape interrupted him by quickly pointing her finger to the doorway behind Peanut. “Out.” She repeated.

Peanut’s ears drooped and he hung his head dejectedly as he walked out of the room. It didn’t seem like Grape was going to forgive him easily, this time. The door was slammed shut behind him as he went back to the living room. With his sensitive ears he heard Grape slightly sobbing and the sound of a broom sweeping the floor of the room Grape was in. I’ll give her some space, for now, he thought to himself.

Peanut thought back to the previous times Grape had been angry at him…they usually ended up asleep on the floor in front of the television within an hour. He sighed as he remembered those times. When was the last time they'd had an argument? Peanut resumed his MarioKart game; suddenly, it didn't seem like it was much fun.

-----

Chapter 2

The next week progressed as usual, except Grape wasn’t speaking to Peanut…and it was driving him crazy. Breakfast…silence. Lunch…silence. Dinner…well, you get the idea. He even asked their parents to try to reason with Grape, but she was being really stubborn. Peanut’s heart ached. He loved Grape, and to see her treating him with indifference, when she had promised to be mushy with him, was tearing him up inside.

One night, Grape was lying awake in her bed, which was temporarily in the living room. Since the diorama incident, she refused to sleep in the same bedroom as Peanut. Lousy dog. she thought to herself as she turned over on her side for the umpteenth time… Cats don’t sleep well at night, apparently. “He doesn’t know how it feels to lose something he’s worked so hard on.” she mumbled to herself. A figurative light bulb came on above her head.

---

Peanut was also lying awake in his room. He could usually fall asleep quite easily…but the last week had been a bit rough on him. We should have been asleep in front of the television a week ago. I shouldn’t still be ignored by her. Ah, Peanut…usually so cheerful but now, a bit on the sad side. But however one may be feeling, sleep eventually takes them…and the same rule applied to Peanut.

Grape waited outside of their bedroom until she heard Peanut snoring. She quietly opened the door to the room and walked softly across the carpet on silent paws. She maintained stealth as she climbed up onto Peanut’s bed. She finally spotted the binder on a bookshelf overhanging Peanut’s sleeping position. On the front of the binder was written, ‘Spot (Superdog) WIP’. She placed her toes on the edge of the bed, avoiding placing pressure on the mattress. With cat-like dexterity she slowly fell forward and placed her paws on the bookshelf so she was supporting herself at an angle over the bed…and Peanut. She held herself with one paw while she grabbed Peanut’s work-in-progress collection of Spot (Superdog).

Grape smiled mischievously. Revenge is sweet, she thought to herself. She pushed off the bookshelf and leaned back…but she hadn’t counted on the extra weight of the binder. Her arms spun wildly trying to move her center of gravity back but she held out her paws as she came back down against the side of the bookshelf smashing her finger between it and the binder. Nyeow! She muffled the cry, as she winced. She sighed in relief when she saw that she had kept her grip on the binder. Then she gasped. She suddenly looked down and saw Peanut’s paw moving to scratch his ear. Having completed the task, he rolled over and smacked his lips. “Graaaaape.” He murmured. The dog didn't even let her rest in his dreams...

Grape didn’t dare move; she even held her breath until she heard Peanut snoring again. She breathed a quiet sigh of relief. She looked around and spotted a dresser at about her current waist height; she moved the book to the hand closer to it and placed it quietly on the dresser. She pushed off again and was able to maintain control this time, as she edged her way over to the dresser and, without making a sound, took the binder with her as she left the room.

---

Grape crept through the silence of Babylon Gardens. She was wearing her purple scarf and her breath could clearly be seen in the crisp air. If it was any colder, she would have preferred to stay home…but she was determined. At this time in the morning, not even the nocturnal animals were awake. She proceeded cautiously, fearful that she might have to answer someone’s question, of what she was doing out of the house at this hour… She felt like a criminal and began having second thoughts… No! she quickly told herself. Peanut deserves this. Another voice sounded in her head. …does he really? She shook her head of these thoughts as she approached Joey’s doghouse. She heard the dog sleeping and…another, much smaller animal? Her ears perked up in curiosity as she quietly tapped on the wall of Joey’s sleeping quarters.

A dog’s yawn broke the silence and a moment later, Joey’s head peaked out through the entrance and around the side. “Grape?!” Joey exclaimed groggily.

“It’s a bit early,” a mouse said, as it exited the doghouse, running along Joey’s arm and stopping at his hand. *Whoa!* she squeaked in fear, as she saw Grape. She proceeded to promptly run back inside along the same arm.

“It’s okay, Squeak…she’s a friend.” Joey responded, still half asleep.

“I have to get back, before I’m missed.” Grape said nervously.

Joey started to get a bad vibe from Grape. He noticed the binder she was carrying. “Is that Peanut’s?” he asked, noticing the ‘Spot (Superdog) WIP’ written on the side. “Are those Peanut’s unfinished drafts?” his eyes lit up. “Peanut never lets anyone look at those…” It was like Joey had found the Holy Grail of comic collectibles.

Grape noticed Joey’s eyes sparkling. “Do you want them?” she asked, smiling. She had planned to give them to Joey, anyway…she just enjoyed teasing dogs.

Phase one of my plan for revenge is complete, she thought to herself. She suddenly noticed Joey on the ground with Squeak standing on his chest and fanning the unconscious dog's face with her tiny paws. “He just needs a moment,” she said to Grape. Grape rolled her eyes and placed the binder inside his doghouse…it was surprisingly warm in there. Must be the insulation.

“Just tell him to be careful with it.” She said over her shoulder to Squeak, as she was walking away.

“Okay,” Squeak shouted as she waved goodbye to the cat.

----------

Just testing the waters here, with an actual 'Housepets!' fan-fic. Please enjoy :mrgreen:

Next chapter is here: https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 62#p133062
Last edited by lightwolf21 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
valerio

Re: Housepets: A 'Simple' Date

Post by valerio »

Well, since I am not following the WMG thread, I don't know what relation could this ficcie have with said thread. Aside from that, this is a VERY VERY GOOD piece of fanfic!! :D :D Much in the spirit of the comic, much fun, much everything.
Keep em going, man! :D :D
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

Very Nice!

I like ware this is going! Anger! Plotting!! Revenge!!!

I can’t wait to see all the pain and sadness that will come from this~
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Light, since you're writing the pre-date stuff, may I write the date part?
I have some very good ideas for it :twisted:
Rendak

Post by Rendak »

Hmmm...I like where this fic is going. I always like mischieviousness(prolly spelled that wrong...again) in a fic, and this seems very mischievous...
That aside, I like it alot
Husky's are the best dang dog in the existence of ever, fluffy and exciting, lovable and loving, cuddly and warm!

Don't be afraid to hit me up for my skype!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

It's nice to see some fresh faces commenting on my work...and, of course, the faces of those that have commented on my previous works. Thanks for the comments. And a big welcome to the newcomer of our forums, KizerZin. :mrgreen:
Last edited by lightwolf21 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Also:
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I'm liking it Light!

...Kira?...

*ahem* I look forward to more!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

44R0NM10 wrote:I'm liking it Light!

...Kira?...

*ahem* I look forward to more!
Lol. Nah. :D I started using Lightwolf as a screen name/gamer handle long before Deathnote. But it is a really good anime series.

...and there will be more to look forward to. :mrgreen:
Also:
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

What? A fanfic not a spinoff of Val's? WHO ARE YOU?
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Private Elliot wrote:What? A fanfic not a spinoff of Val's? WHO ARE YOU?
I was thinking of doing the same thing.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Just awesome Lightwolf. I love how this is going. Who'd a thought that my little guess could be made into such a wonderful fanfic? Can't wait for the next installment!
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Great story, fell bad for Peanut :(
Oh well, like they say in Russia "Harasho" (Means good/very well) story, I really expect a second part! Keep it up with the good work!
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
ChristopherJackal

Post by ChristopherJackal »

Dude yes! I stalked that thread for a while, so I know this is going to be good!
Karl

Post by Karl »

I have a feeling that Grape will regret soon her actions.

Can't wait to see the next part of her plan :)
I'm a bookworm!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Karlos wrote:I have a feeling that Grape will regret soon her actions.

Because sometimes she tends to forget that eanut may be a clumsy lug, but never malicious. He's sweetness incarnate, and for all we know, he must be working extra time to make up for that damage... ;)
Oh, Grape, you should know better...
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

valerio wrote:

Because sometimes she tends to forget that eanut may be a clumsy lug, but never malicious. He's sweetness incarnate, and for all we know, he must be working extra time to make up for that damage... ;)
Oh, Grape, you should know better...
But if she did, this fanfic wouldn't be as entertaining. :D
Great job, Light! :mrgreen:
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

That's what makes it fun. :mrgreen: Er, Wait? What?
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Chapter 3

Grape awoke the next morning to the sound of pots and pans hitting the ground. She looked at the time displayed on the Cable Box…8:30 a.m. She was thankful she had a blanket over her; it was pretty cold during winter…even indoors. She walked to the kitchen with the blanket over her shoulders to see what all the noise was about. Upon entering the kitchen she found that nearly all the cabinets had been emptied and Peanut was reaching inside one located below the sink, as if he was feeling around for something. Grape was suddenly feeling much better than she had during the previous week. She licked her paw and tried to flatten her bed-head fur…it took a few attempts. Pulling the blanket back up around her shoulders she walked over the Peanut. “Morning, Peanut.”

“Gaahh!” The surprise caused him to jump and hit his head against the small compartment of the cabinet he was searching. He followed it up with a doglike whimper. “Jeez, Grape…you gotta’ stop surprising me like that.” He rubbed the spot on top of his head where he’d hit it. Then he suddenly realized Grape was talking to him, again. He grabbed her by the shoulders and began talking rapidly. “Oh,-thank-goodness-you’re-up-Grape-I-need-your-help.” It was as if he was trying to make up for the time he’d lost over the week of not talking with her.

Grape held up a paw. “Whoa, Peanut! Slow down. What’s going on? Did you lose your rawhide bone again?”

Peanut went back to searching the cabinet as he explained what had happened. “No. I misplaced my unfinished drafts binder for my Spot (Superdog) comics. I don’t know what happened to it. I thought put it in its usual spot. He was searching frantically. Grape was smiling proudly… The perfect crime, she thought to herself. She walked over to the dining room table and sat down, grabbing the cat cereal and cream beside her. “Uh, Peanut… How long as this stuff been sitting out?” Grape asked, indicating the perishables that were strewn about the table. *whimper* I ‘unno. Peanut replied in a near sob, clearly upset that he hadn’t found the binder in the kitchen. Grape started feeling a little guilty, so she put the food in the refrigerator, rather than asking Peanut do it. She went back to her breakfast. Then Peanut trudged up to the table, got onto a chair and placed his head on the table beside Grape, with his eyes tearing up a bit. *whimper*

Grape’s spoon loaded with cat food stopped midway to her open mouth. I can’t eat like this, she thought to herself as she picked up her bowl of food and walked into the living room with it. She sat down on the armchair beside the fireplace. “Much better.” She said aloud. Cats are evil, aren’t they? A few moments later Grape had finished most of her breakfast and she heard peanut still sobbing on the dining room table. “Oh, Pea-nut?” she said, with a mischievous grin on her face.

Peanut slowly walked into the living room, finally feeling hopeless…he’d searched the entire house and hadn’t found the binder. “Yeah, Grape,” he replied, sniffling as he wiped his nose with the back of his paw.

“I know where your unfinished drafts are…” Grape’s tail was moving back and forth, playfully.

Peanut’s expression brightened immediately and his tail began wagging. “Really?!” he exclaimed.

“Yeah.” She took a long pause to let Peanut wallow in anticipation. She closed her eyes and placed her arms behind her head as she lay down on the chair. “…I sold them to Bino.”

Peanut was shocked, followed by angry, followed by fearful; three emotions happening in near-instantaneous succession. The stress of having lost his most important binder combined with that of the entire last week of feeling terrible about what he’d done to Grape’s diorama had caused him to finally crack. “WHAT?!” he exploded. He started panting heavily from the sudden rush of information and emotions. An angry scowl appeared across his face as he clenched his paws into fists.

“Yeah… he said he’d like to show them to everyone at the next Good Ol’ Dogs Club meeting.” She was purposefully appearing aloof. On the inside she was giddy at having completed phase two of her plan for revenge. Maybe now, he’ll know better than to mess with my things. She suddenly opened her eyes to see Peanut lunging at her. Her eyes widened with surprise. He wouldn’t. Time slowed. She could see the tears in his eyes from the sadness and anger, his pupils had contracted from the shock of the information, and she saw his lip quiver from the fearful realization that his comics, the same comics that had caused him to lose his Good Ol’ Dogs Club membership, would be read to neighborhood, possibly destroying any dignity that he still had. From Peanut’s expression, Grape knew that he would… And for the first time, she truly regretted plotting her revenge.

Peanut slammed into Grape and the two of them rolled off the chair, teeth and claws flying. Peanut had the slight advantage, being a dog and actually wanting to hurt Grape. Grape wasn’t willing to go as far, and took the brunt of the injuries. A few seconds later Peanut had pinned Grape down and was breathing heavily. He looked into Grape’s pleading eyes. What am I doing? he asked himself. He got off Grape and walked, fists still clenched, to the footrest in front of the armchair and kicked it a few feet away. “Why?” he asked, keeping his back toward Grape. He didn’t want her to see him crying. His voice sort of gave him away, though.

“The diorama.” Grape replied, wincing as she got up. She lightly felt her side. Probably bruised a rib. The heartache of being physically hurt by Peanut…her Peanut…hit her like truck. “I j-just wanted you to feel what it’s li-like, losing something you’ve w-worked so hard on,” she continued, sobbing. “It’s the same thing as the-“

“That was an accident!” Peanut shouted, knowing what she meant. “It’s not the same!”

Grape’s ears drooped to the sides of her head as she recoiled in surprise. He’s right. Grape realized, as she started crying. I was just too stubborn to see it. Before Grape could stop him, Peanut grabbed his scarf and opened the front door. “I’m going to try to get my comics back from Bino.” But he didn’t have much confidence he’d be able to. He slammed the door behind him.

----------
Next chapter here: https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 28#p135028
A brawl between siblings? Will things ever be the same for Peanut and Grape again? Tune in Monday, to find out. :twisted:
Last edited by lightwolf21 on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Also:
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Of course they will! My shipping sense is tingling! :D
valerio

Post by valerio »

NUUUU!!! P and G Must not fight! Grape, you were MEAN!!
KizerZin

Post by KizerZin »

Nothing as lovely as a fight of family~

"Get mad... get mad... GET MAD... GET SO MAD IT DRIVES YOU MAD!!!"~ The Master
valerio

Post by valerio »

KizerZin wrote:Nothing as lovely as a fight of family~

you scarez me!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

You mean the Master from "Doctor Who," right?
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Tha Housedog wrote:

*thread derailment* :?
Also:
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Love this drama!

I've gotta say though, how sad. Great update, and great emotion involved. I love it. :mrgreen:
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

lightwolf21 wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:

*thread derailment* :?
-_- Whatever. We all know Grape can't stay mad at Peanut.
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Tha Housedog wrote:-_- Whatever. We all know Grape can't stay mad at Peanut.
I was just kidding on the thread derailment thing, TH. No worries. :mrgreen:
Right now, it seems that Peanut is more mad at Grape...
Also:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Even in a glass of water appears storm.

But what will happen next, knowing that angry Peanut goes to Bino. I sense trouble...
I'm a bookworm!
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

*snap*
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

I love this fanfic, can't wait for chapter 4
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Spargo wrote:I love this fanfic, can't wait for chapter 4
Thank you and congratz, Spargo! :mrgreen:
I'm honored to receive your 100th forum post. *bows*
Last edited by lightwolf21 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Also:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Great job on all the drama. It almost makes me feel sad for what is happening. Oh, I wonder what will happen next. ;)

Act surprised, act surprised, ACT SURPRISED COPPER!
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
The Game

Post by The Game »

I wish I could say 'amazing' in more then one language
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

The Game wrote:I wish I could say 'amazing' in more then one language
Fantastico!
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

The Game wrote:I wish I could say 'amazing' in more then one language

Asombroso
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

Karlos wrote:Even in a glass of water appears storm.

But what will happen next, knowing that angry Peanut goes to Bino. I sense trouble...
Two words, "oh snap."
NykVerien

Post by NykVerien »

Considering that Grape actually gave the drafts to Joey NOT Bino. This is going to be getting real interesting real fast. :twisted:
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Wow! XD Thank you all for the comments. I'm getting a lot more than I did with Projectiles of Protection. Welcome to the forums, NykVerien. I'm honored to have my story thread be the recipient of your first forum post. :mrgreen:
Also:
valerio

Post by valerio »

lightwolf21 wrote:Wow! XD Thank you all for the comments. I'm getting a lot more than I did with Projectiles of Protection. Welcome to the forums, NykVerien. I'm honored to have my story thread be the recipient of your first forum post. :mrgreen:
Well....
POP deals with uncharted territory, in a way, and the english-language readers are less familiar with it, since it refers to a work in Italian that must still be translated. Instead, everyone knows our heroes, and you portrayed them extremaly well -in fact, one could say that POP helped you develop your style for this new ficcie.
Both POP and ASD are excellent stuff, but the second gets the icing. Mind me, I'm talking against my interests... :mrgreen:
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

NykVerien wrote:Considering that Grape actually gave the drafts to Joey NOT Bino. This is going to be getting real interesting real fast. :twisted:

Yup. :mrgreen: