iPod/MP3 Player help thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Aarden

iPod/MP3 Player help thread

Post by Aarden »

Does anyone know if it covers faulty volume buttons? It's becoming a real annoyance when I have to force the button in to lower the volume, it doesnt even make a click noise and sometimes I have to practically press it right into the casing before it responds. Due to the fault with my laptop that wasn't covered under warranty unless it got worse I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew if I'd be wasting my time or not, thanks for any help.
Last edited by Aarden on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dissension

Re: Apple iPod warranty?

Post by Dissension »

The manufacturer's warranty usually covers electrical and mechanical failures as a result of normal wear-and-tear. If you didn't do anything to damage the iPod, and the buttons have stopped working properly, all you need to say is that the volume buttons have become jammed (or inoperable). (Manufacturer warranties generally expire within 12 months of the original date of purchase, by the way.)

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

Thanks for the info, I paid extra for the extended warranty at the time so I'm sure I won't have any problems with that.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Just out of curiousity, what kind of iPod are you using?
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

2nd generation touch from 2009.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Ahh... I can't really help you then. I know how to fix nanos and classics, but I don't know too much about the iPod Touch. I held one and used it (music) for about 15 minutes a few months ago. Other than that, I don't know the first thing about them. Sawwy.
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

It's fine, as Dissension said, the warranty will probably have it covered.
Beagle

Re: Apple iPod Help?

Post by Beagle »

Can we turn this thread into an iPod Help thread?

I already have this posted in the Tech Talk thread, but if there are any people on this section that are good with iPods....

"Heh, does anyone know what to do for an iPod Classic? I was deleting pictures off my iPod, since I use it as an external harddrive, and accidentally permanently deleted the "Photos" folder. That's the one that helps you store photos to the iPod. :? Help? Please? If I make a new photo folder, will it automatically recognize it or am I gonna have to 'format' the new folder?"
Aarden

Post by Aarden »

I guess we could ask Diss?

But it is quite a good idea for people that need help with thier iPods.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Feel free to make this a general iPod (or even generic mp3 player) help thread. I likely won't be much help, beyond "your warranty probably covers that failure" and the very basic, mostly hold button-related troubleshooting that my company has trained me to perform.

Aarden

Post by Aarden »

I can help with all the iPod touch firmware and limited general hardware, I'm just never sure about warranties on hardware because each company likes to do things differently.
TheBlackParrot

Re: iPod/MP3 Player help thread

Post by TheBlackParrot »

I could help anyone with firmware issues on the iPod Touch 1G - 4G (Jailbroken).
Everyone at my school always asks me "OMG HELP WHY IS MY IPOD DOING THIS" and I nearly always have an answer. Even if it is jailbroken.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

As someone who works for a warranty company, I discourage you from doing anything which would tend to void your coverage.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

@Diss- My warrenty was up about a year ago. The music and everything works fine, it's just the Photos folder is gone.

When I reboot my HP later, I'll take an in-depth look at it. Right now I'm on my Inspiron because my HP didn't come with the external modem for dial-up internet. >_<;