NaNoWriMo again dudes

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Jimmy Jazz

Re: NaNoWriMo again dudes

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Well, after attempting to write my book for long periods I've realized that there is no way I'm going to be able to write this book. I am not enjoying writing it even a little bit.

So after 2000 words or so... I give up. throws it aside

Maybe I'll think up some other project to do this month.

also please, I don't want to hear any "oh you gave up too soon!"'s, "keep on trying D:<" or ">8o I just lost respect for you!" alright?

what what? Jolly good time.
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

Liam wrote:A sci-fi piece's "hardness" is less a matter of the absolute accuracy of the science content than of the rigor and consistency with which the various ideas and possibilities are worked out.

Or take the Banks method. He stuffed his Culture series full with made-up physics (gridfield, etc.), but wrote them internally consistent and evocative of real science to let his fictional universe appear convincing.
I'm not sure I agree with that. There are examples of hard sci-fi that don't involve real science at all (Celestial Matters comes to mind) but those usually are actively set in worlds where the laws of physics are purposely different, or were written back when our knowledge of some aspect of science wasn't as developed as it is now (From the Earth to the Moon for example).
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Well, after attempting to write my book for long periods I've realized that there is no way I'm going to be able to write this book. I am not enjoying writing it even a little bit.

So after 2000 words or so... I give up. throws it aside

Maybe I'll think up some other project to do this month.

also please, I don't want to hear any "oh you gave up too soon!"'s, "keep on trying D:<" or ">8o I just lost respect for you!" alright?
hmm. i thought i was going to be the first to drop out. well all right then.

also, hooray! 5,000 words!
bwah bwah
Senator_Sunburst

I am now officially behind.

I'm thinking of changing my goal to just writing 100,000 words generally, instead of on this one particular novel which is currently going nowhere fast.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

I reached 2000 words (2006 to be more accurate) all in my first writing session, not as much as I would like but its a start...I guess.
Mines a science fiction set 10,000 years in the future, not so much about science fiction but more to do with the society of a colony on the frontier territories of the Human Commonwealth...up to chapter two so far.

@ Senator - exceeding 100,000 words all in a month is a bit ambitious, but you could still achieve it if you really work at it. And if you have writers block try reading, watching, or talking about what relates to your story and you might get ideas and inspiration...what is your story about anyway?
Senator_Sunburst

I don't have writer's block. I mean, I know what's supposed to happen. I just don't have enough in-depth knowledge in the required fields to write out these events properly. So I'm having to skip large amounts of stuff just to get it all out on paper, and it's ended with me being almost done with the first 1/3rd of the book at only about 10 thousand words. Considering entire scenes had to be skipped, and large paragraphs of details are missing, it should be a lot longer than that. And I just felt that if I kept going I'd just end up making more work for me in the end when I do figure out the specifics.

As to what it's about, it involves alien viruses and lots of infections, and mass mobilizations of armies, and that's as far as I'll go in saying stuff about it. :P
The Game

Post by The Game »

*cough* 3,000words *cough*
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

oooooohhh today i bombed...

i did half of what i should of done...
bwah bwah
The Game

Post by The Game »

4,000 words!
I have a friend that has 6,000 already.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

The Game wrote:4,000 words!
I have a friend that has 6,000 already.
lack parot has like, 6,700. im just under 6,000 i think.
bwah bwah
Samson

Post by Samson »

Well well well what an interesting time to return to the very forums of the very webcomic I write a fanfic about. This shall be fun.
Good luck Rick and thank you for allowing me to stay here with you and your loyal followers.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Sadly, I have to give up NaNo, My schedule is too full for me to expect to get it done this month, possibly because staying after school to work on a set for Brighton beach, sometimes staying till 10PM and needing to do homework after that, then getting up early for school is somewhat impossible. But, I like my story enough that I'm going to keep working on it, it just won't be done in time for nano.
Make Pasta not war.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

aiiee! writers are crumbling down around me!

that is very demotivational. :(
bwah bwah
The Game

Post by The Game »

I a friend that hit 8,000 yesterday.
well actually, now she has....
OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

The Game wrote:I a friend that hit 8,000 yesterday.
well actually, now she has....
OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!!
GAH! i should have said that!
*has over 9,000*
blargh.
bwah bwah
Avan

Post by Avan »

So... I have about 3000 words to write today (~10600 words done)
I wrote 6000 words in one day, and would have done more, had I not been sidetracked by:
Youtube
TVTropes
art
Furtopia
Housepets!
a potential art-licensing deal (for 3D models I had made)
Requirements of life (eating, breathing, using the restroom)

My NaNoWriMo entry is nothing but the novelized version of my game's plot... because I'm lazy and wanted to get NaNoWriMo /and/ pre-production done with one stone ... err, text :D
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Thought I'd keep you updated on my progress guys. Am on track as I usually have been, though as usual not rewriting is probably the hardest thing for me as I discover more relevant plot threads and interesting side passages.

One of the odd things is how, in attempting to explain the world and enumerating the differences, the setting becomes rather sci-fi. For instance, I have always thought, since animals could walk and talk, they tend toward having tribes with their own histories rather than just being features of the natural world. When I moved towards trying to capture the historicity of something much unlike what we'd experience, it becomes otherworldly, and as a result very sci-fi.

And it's strange because Housepets, despite having its own alternate world, is hardly a sci-fi. This is because up until I wrote this, its historicity could be assumed to reflect our own. This is how most setting of this nature are treated--it exists in a world that is not different from our own, withing our perception of this or that historical or contemporary moment, it just has this new element in it.

Except, not only must the new element change the inhabitants' perspective on things, it has an array of consequences all its own which must be accounted for. And while, as per the rule of alternate history, everything mostly lines up with our own world except for certain events which are warped significantly in order to maintain this world's structure around it, there's still quite a lot of potential to play around in the setting.

So when I deviate from the assumption that the Housepets world is exactly the same as our world only everything talks, I at the same time make it less realistic and more realistic. Less realistic because what is real is this world and the farther away I get the less it's a single alteration, and more realistic because the harmony of cause and effect are maintained from this change in a premise.

Of course, I have to fudge things. Lots of things. History, like weather, is chaotic, and a small change here or there may have little consequences, or many enormous lasting consequences. While we can assume that any world like this ought to have turned out completely different, it did not; it retains points of reference with which we are familiar, so as not to alienate the reader. That's the general rule of alternate history.

Anyway, I wrote all of that to say that there is a coherent, technologically capable nation of leopards in the middle of the African jungle. I wrote them in because it would feel less real to me if there was NO lasting establishment of predators that may have resulted from this that or the other, and therefore Housepets is ruined forever because it's now sci-fi.

Or wait. It's still fantasy.

Or something.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Avan

Post by Avan »

Heh. XD
But it is interesting to see how history plays out in a world with such a different premise. thus it's entirely believable to have diversions from the RL timeline.
So just out of curiosity, that would be in the current time, right? Just wondering.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

'k guys, this is where i drop out. its to much stress and its interfering with my school, which i will be lucky to live through.
bwah bwah
The Game

Post by The Game »

Psykeout wrote:'k guys, this is where i drop out. its to much stress and its interfering with my school, which i will be lucky to live through.
Aw! That stinks!
Maybe you could try again next year!
7,000 words btw
Senator_Sunburst

rickgriffin wrote: Anyway, I wrote all of that to say that there is a coherent, technologically capable nation of leopards in the middle of the African jungle. I wrote them in because it would feel less real to me if there was NO lasting establishment of predators that may have resulted from this that or the other, and therefore Housepets is ruined forever because it's now sci-fi.
I'm so happy.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

The Game wrote:
Psykeout wrote:'k guys, this is where i drop out. its to much stress and its interfering with my school, which i will be lucky to live through.
Aw! That stinks!
Maybe you could try again next year!
7,000 words btw
not until im out of high school. my work load is only going to get bigger. -_-'
and how many words do you do a day?
bwah bwah
The Game

Post by The Game »

About 500-1,000.
Sometimes more if I work on it at home.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

i dint want to burst your bubble, but here i go. :(
to be "on schedule," you need 1,666-1,667 words a day.
bwah bwah
The Game

Post by The Game »

Psykeout wrote:i dint want to burst your bubble, but here i go. :(
to be "on schedule," you need 1,666-1,667 words a day.
Oh I know. It's just that the class period I write in has lunch the middle of it, and I lose my train of thought.
But I usually type more then that, or I wouldn't be ahead of most people in my class.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Have another preview if you wanted to see: https://www.housepetscomic.com/2010/11/ ... can-nomad/
The Game

Post by The Game »

Today I reached our goal for school (which is 10,000 words) and my climax STILL hasn't happened yet.
Avan

Post by Avan »

I have 2400 words to do today because I was busy doing a history paper yesterday >.<
Oh well, 2400 isn't much. I can do it all in a couple hours, accounting for minor distractions.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

I am fairly certain that, no matter how much humor I insert into the rewrite, the novel is going to be Darker and Edgier than the comic is. (Well, maybe as dark and/or edgy as the King story arc)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That still sounds interesting all the same to me, if the previews are any indicator. If anything it'll help keep Cerebus syndrome in check from the main comic. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Well it's what I figure; it gets some of the more heady stories out of the main comic but still integrates them into the universe. And it's all optional! Different formats can be fun!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Sleet wrote:That still sounds interesting all the same to me, if the previews are any indicator. If anything it'll help keep Cerebus syndrome in check from the main comic. :3
Yeah it most likely will keep it in check but I kind of wonder for how long.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

IceKitsune wrote:
Sleet wrote:That still sounds interesting all the same to me, if the previews are any indicator. If anything it'll help keep Cerebus syndrome in check from the main comic. :3
Yeah it most likely will keep it in check but I kind of wonder for how long.
Well everyone else knows by now that you panic the quickest, even though I have always told everyone that I am going to keep the comic humorous all the time, even when I have the occasional dramatic arc.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I'm not panicking about it because that implies that I'm worried about it going in to Cerebus Syndrome which I'm not I actually like it when its done right. Its more like I've read so many web comics before that try to balance it out like that and the drama arcs and story lines usually win out in the end anyway. I'm not saying that the comedy goes away completely of course its just it becomes much less of a focus of the comic.

Maybe I'm wrong this time maybe you can keep the drama from over taking the comedy of the comic I will just have to wait and see.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Isn't that exactly what Cerebus syndrome is?
rickgriffin wrote:I am going to keep the comic humorous all the time, even when I have the occasional dramatic arc.
WHAT ABOUT HOUSE OF A THOUSAND NIGHTMARES RICK.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

IceKitsune wrote:I will just have to wait and see.
Except that with that attitude, you'll never be satisfied because there would always be more comic to be fearful will turn superultraserious
Sleet wrote:WHAT ABOUT HOUSE OF A THOUSAND NIGHTMARES RICK.
Funny enough, that was the only dramaish comic I did that did NOT get accusations of cerebus syndrome
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

I would like to shout out that you guys should have 13,333 words left by now, or else, you are behind on time. I suggest you manage your schedule more accordingly, however, take thanksgiving as a leeway for catching-up, ok?
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Avan

Post by Avan »

Who's finished already? I'm on my last 1600 words - already wrote 2900 earlier today :D
dalonewolf25
Location: Somewhere in Pretoria, South Africa, where tiny colorful horses reside.

Post by dalonewolf25 »

Need I remind you all that you need to be at 1000 words by today in order to be on schedule...

This looks like fun...all the pressure, the excitement...maybe I'll give it a shot next year!
Everyone has a story. What's yours?~
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

rickgriffin wrote:sci-fi housepets words
or you could just say the great kitsune did it

(you know, only 20 days late for the reply)
I was going to make a joke but then I did.