The Band Game

For playing all sorts of silly I-don't-know-whats

Moderators: Render, ArcWolf

Buster
Game Master

The Band Game

Post by Buster »

to quote the description on the forum I'm copying this from,
Basically, how it works is the first player posts the name of their new band and what style of music they play (EG: My new band's name is The Alien Elf Brigade. We're an electro-pop group with some mariachi influence.)

The second player then names their first album and gives a short review or discussion of how well it did (EG: 'Dia de los Green Dudes' sold like a brick - pity, the songs were super danceable. At least the club deejays are starting to work it into rotation.) and then gives the name of their new band for the next poster.
- - - - -

The Pope's Afgan - a Christian rock band known for being a bit off
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
AnimeNerd88

Re: The Band Game

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

"The Pope's Afgan" God's True Actions - Pretty preachy, but that's to be expected. What isn't is the HOW preachy they are.
Celsius And The Degrees - A band that mostly makes songs that are supposed to educate students about science.
Let's give it everything we've got! Get ready, because it's Punishment Time!
-Monokuma

What? Even if I like dark topics, I can't resist cuteness.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Their album Metric Party Tricks, seems quite popular with elementary school teachers... and nobody else. it often gets compared to 'the abandoned lovechild of Wierd Al and Bill Nye'.

Death Wrench - a band that tried to invent a new sub genre of Industrial music
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

"Death Wrench" A Bloody Toolbox - I don't think anyone can take them seriously when the music is mainly made up of synthesized kazoos.
Laughing Out Loud - a band that usually makes parody songs or songs about internet trends.
Let's give it everything we've got! Get ready, because it's Punishment Time!
-Monokuma

What? Even if I like dark topics, I can't resist cuteness.
guru4567

Post by guru4567 »

They hit it big with their first song: "Nyan Nyan Jar of Dirt" (Club Remix), but the backlash was so heavy after a week they disappeared off the face of the earth.
Dr. Pepper's IT Department -- Daft Punk inspired house music, with repeated lyrics like "the system is in hibernation" and "System parameters online".
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Although they saw little success with their first album, "The System is Down" initially, (as well as a brief legal altercation with Matt Chapman over the title track) Popularity skyrocketed after instrumental variants of three of it's tracks were featured in the trailers for, and later in several levels of, a popular cyberpunk stealth/infiltration game for PC.

Gridlock - a one man retro-style chip-tune project
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Gridlock's "System Crash/Restart" went on to be their most popular work. However, due to it being primarily just computer noises it was credited to someone's computer just breaking down, and Gridlock was forgotten.

Direclown - A screamo band which mixed a variety of carnival instruments into their songs.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

You'd have a hard time finding Direclown albums anywhere, most can't even remember the titles. As the group's members are better known for looking like the various versions of The Joker than anything else.

A shame too, 'Clowns Aren't Funny' had a decent selection of tracks.

- - -

Artifical Sky - A multi genre spin off project made of former members of Electronic Arts' sound department. The only common thread between their tracks is a lack of vocals.
FancyHat
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US...Would prefer Scotland.

Post by FancyHat »

You should be quite acquainted with Artificial Sky as their Album "Bittersweet Youth" earned a fairly decent rating on local music sights as being Inspirational, and one of the songs, "The Rising Dawn" was even featured in a WW2 movie set during the Australian New Guinea Campaign as it's main theme for it's tear inducing instrumental works. However the band was short lived when it was soon bought out by EA after sales of their albums plummeted when people grew tired of the lack of vocals in the songs. A Sad ending for a band which could've very well had become a revival of classic music.

Mendoza and the Pachucos - A hispanic Electro-swing and jazz band based out of Los Angeles intending to revive the Pachuco lifestyle and the Swing genre of the late 1920s and early 50s.
"Crimes?" "Crimes."
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Their first album, "This has no title" (the name of which is apparently the result of someone being too drunk to fill out a form correctly, but trying anyway) sold relatively poorly due to a mixture of lackluster advertising, dated styles and techniques, and general obscurity. Plans for a second were nearly derailed when the lead vocalist was killed in a fiery car crash, but were actually salvaged thanks to one of the other members cutting songs together from un mixed takes left over from the first album, and unfinished takes from the second. This gave their tracks a surreal quality that while not what they were originally going for, allowed them to stand out...

Until the vocalist's next of kin sued them into the ground six months after release.

Jukebox Heroes, A multi-genre project by of all things, a 33-student highschool drama class, that somehow got published by their gym teacher...