Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

For playing all sorts of silly I-don't-know-whats

Moderators: Render, ArcWolf

Douglas Collier

Re: Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

Post by Douglas Collier »

Just better not be a Christmas joke. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

It's actually not very long from now. ;)
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:It's actually not very long from now. ;)
Is it an April Fools' thing?
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Naro Rivers wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:It's actually not very long from now. ;)
Is it an April Fools' thing?
No
ImageImageImageImage
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

(Not that it matters much anymore, but) Option 2: Don't let go.

Hello everyone, I've been reading Housepets! for almost two months now and I finally decided to make an account. This is my first post. CHAOKOCartoons, you've done an amazing job with this story. I'm surprised I missed the Cinema Sins reference; It's one of two channels I watch. looking back at the story so far the players have (mostly) decided on the corses of action I would've voted for. There is an idea I think has a lot a merit that only one other person mentioned by my count. The only time so far where there was an Improvise option you used it to "trip" which, Buster, was ingenious. What I am proposing is that we try to talk to ??? like a normal person. Crazy, I know. One of the things Housepets! does is it takes rules of thumb that apply to our world and show how they fall apart when characters are more human than animal. For example: feral wolfs are dangerous, skunks are stinky, magpies are obsessed with shiny objects and bears are ferocious. My theory is that ??? is a stray dog that raided the trash can for food. Charlie, wanting to prove himself, sees ??? and jumps down to pick a fight. ??? has been taking damage and its bark sounded "pained [and] fearful... like a warning bark". It would seem Charlie got some hits in with his lightsaber, but was losing the fight so he turned tail and ran and accidentally slipped into the river. My conclusion is that ??? doesn't want to fight as much as the pups, but feel it has its back against the wall that if it doesn't fight, the pups will team up against it.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Welcome, Wallace! That...is a very sound line of thought! It seems kind of obvious now; I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of it myself!

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

The votes have now been locked in. The ending has been decided. (Now just wait a few days for it to come out).
ImageImageImageImage
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Part 1 of the end. (I had a few issues getting the render together so we're just going to pretend I posted this on March 18th and that I cleverly timed it to synch with the anniversary of the in-comic event 5 years ago hahahahaha...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click the image to view the video!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ImageImageImageImage
Douglas Collier

Nice animation!
... We killed Bravo...
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

*unintelligible blubbering noises*
BBBRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
wolfbrothren

Post by wolfbrothren »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Okay something I gotta address is that yall're trying to chain choices WAAAY too much. I've started to let it slide for quite a while but I should make a point that not all options will be ones you can choose multiple answers on. If I was super strict and set this to hard mode (or I guess "normal mode" technically), you wouldn't be allowed to do that at all. :lol:
From now on, you can only chain 2 to 3 options at max. However, you have to be SURE that that is the right thing to do, and a majority of people have to have done the exact same chain in that order for you to make it work. If you start abusing the chain option, or do it in a place that doesn't make sense, I'll start putting in minor penalties. The longer the chain, the bigger the risk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Legotron123 wrote:2 and 4. Logic to the rescue!
SuperStar wrote:2 and 4!
HellishK9 wrote:Yup, 2 and 4 seems best.
FancyHat wrote:2, 4, 1. In that order.
D-Rock wrote:I agree with 2 and 4, but what's with the stars on 4?
Saturn381 wrote:I'm gonna go with 2 and 4 as well.
Douglas Collier wrote:
FancyHat wrote:2, 4, 1. In that order.
This
Tales wrote:I side with fancyhat. First, Guilt-trip. Next, logic. Finally, sooth.

Echo: Did you even consider how your little outburst would effect Charlie?! Not everyone's as "tough" as you ya know! You don't think you could have told him about it any better?!

Bravo: ...I told you, he needed to know. The sooner you rip off the bandaid, the less pain you have to deal with in the long run. He probably wouldn't have believed me if I didn't do it then and there--

Echo: Besides, I WAS trying to help prevent them from separating us, and you even admitted to it a few seconds ago! I checked the food and the cabinets to make sure there was nothing wrong with it, in case they were trying to get rid of any of us! I closed the window to show we were well mannered, to give them a reason to think twice before sending us away! If they showed signs of guilt, then we'd be on to something, and we were! And the reason I was trying to calm you down was so that we could actually hear them out! We were about to figure out exactly what they were planning, but you kept cutting them off! I did everything I could Bravo, don't try to pin this on me!

Bravo: FINE! WHATEVER! I KNOW! I KNOW I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT, BUT I COULDN'T HELP IT! I WAS SCARED, OKAY? I thought everything I worked for was falling apart around me! All I want is for all of us to be together, if you or I aren't around Charlie, then how am I supposed to be sure he's safe?! I just want to make sure he's safe! I shouldn't have even told Mom n' Dad to adopt you guys, at least then you'd still be together! Why don't they just get rid of ME? I'm the one who always get's you two in trouble, I don't even deserve to be your older brother!

Charlie:...

Bravo admitted he is wrong. What should you say to him?
1. Remind him of the 'stress control trick'
2. "It's not your fault either..."
3. "We need you too."
4. "Get a hold of yourself!"
5. "..."
6. Improvise

I just found this story/game today, and this post has me crying!
Stryder Monroe (S-5, P-8, E-6, C-4, I-7, A-6, L-6)

Avatar made by the amazing Laxan
Douglas Collier

Just wait until you see the most recent one.
Champion Wallace

Wow…
Like my English teacher said, “Art is not meant to make you feel good, art is meant to make you feel”.
However, remember back when combat was introduced:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:If a character goes down, it means they are no longer able to fight, and depending on the situation can mean something terrible for them (or they're just knocked out).
I choose to remain the optimist and believe that Bravo is simply unable to do any action in the immediate future and the vet hospital there does more then just terrorize kittens.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

optimism is all well and good but terms like fatal and lethal have VERY specific definitions...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
wolfbrothren

Post by wolfbrothren »

Douglas Collier wrote:Just wait until you see the most recent one.
:o *terrified/horrified gasp* NO! NOOOO! NOT BRAVO!!!! NOOOO!!!!!! *Crying* I LOVED BRAVO!!!! HE WAS MY FAVORITE!!!!! *Bawling*

Edit: I have literally refreshed this 5 times since posting, desperate for anything more. This waiting is killing me......Please.....Please don't be dead Bravo!

Edit 2: Switch to Bravo. Improvise: Survive.

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...it seems that this is something that we have to Understand, Chaoko. :cry:
Champion Wallace wrote: I choose to remain the optimist and believe that Bravo is simply unable to do any action in the immediate future and the vet hospital there does more then just terrorize kittens.
Definition of "Fatal": causing death.

Unless Chaoko is going for hyperbole (which if you follow his works, this is HIGHLY unlikely), Bravo is gone.
wolfbrothren wrote: Edit 2: Switch to Bravo. Improvise: Survive.
...this is the same Mission Objective for the final level in Halo: Reach.

It's one that you will fail.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
wolfbrothren

Post by wolfbrothren »

D-Rock wrote:
wolfbrothren wrote: Edit 2: Switch to Bravo. Improvise: Survive.
...this is the same Mission Objective for the final level in Halo: Reach.

It's one that you will fail.
:shock: Don't tell me that! Why would you tell me that!? Oh God! I've just jinxed him didn't I?! I've sealed his fate and now he is going to die! All because I never played Halo: Reach! *Panics and paces desperately*

Bravo: Improvise: Live, live with all your might.
Charlie & Echo: Save Bravo!
Parents: Stop being horrible people and go save your puppies!

CHAOKO...have mercy?....please?

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

There was no prompt, we can't give new commands yet.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
wolfbrothren

Post by wolfbrothren »

*sigh* :( I know. I just really, really want Bravo to be alright.

...did you know that "fatal" doesn't just mean "causing death"? It's definitions also include: "(a) of or relating to fate; (b) resembling fate in proceeding according to a fixed sequence; (c) determining one's fate." We know that Bravo loses an eye, so maybe the "fatal" damage was relating to the fate of his eye. By that logic and by the animation which appeared to show Bravo preparing to bite the hand holding him, I speculate that Bravo bit the creature. The creature threw Bravo, causing the right side of his head to smash into something (rock or tree) with enough force to destroy his eye, knock him out, and make Charlie think he died (the cause of his sharp drop in mental state).

....Yes, I did look up the definition today during class in order to try to find some possible support for the hope that he is still alive. I'm freaking out, sue me. This comic/game is causing me significantly more stress than my grad school program.

Speaking of which, that is a real testament to Chaoko's character development and story writing. I have not felt this invested in a character in a long time, and I play RP heavy D&D. So seriously, great job Chaoko. This is truly impressive, but please update soon, the suspense is brutal.

Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

AAAAAGH.

I binge-read through this whole thing last night. That last update felt like a gut-punch. I'm assuming that's what you were going for, and you were masterfully successful. Also, it was really impressive to see so much improvement in the art and animation, not just between the beginning and end, but even between individual installments. Hats off to you, Chaoko. Looking forward/dreading to see the next installment. This isn't over yet.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

You know what we should’ve done? We should’ve broken the fuse box before we went searching. It would’ve gotten the parents attention, and they might’ve been quick enough following our tracks to save Bravo.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Champion Wallace

So, I get that Hereafter Thereafter and I Just Love Weddings were just the inspiration for Charlie and Bravo and this takes place in a different timeline so it's not set in stone whether or not Charlie dies by the river or Bravo gets an eyepatch *looks at all the people that keep saying "maybe this is where Bravo loses his eye"*, but does that still apply to Advanced Seating despite the fact that Chaokocat (co)wrote it, not Rick? Since it's too late to post in the comic discussion: can anyone tell what the photo in Fox's locker is of and what Echo is doing in the K-9 locker room? He hasn't shown any interest in being a police dog, going as far to say "The K-9 unit? No, I don't think I'd be any good at that... Being a police dog is just too much responsibility for me".
wolfbrothren

Post by wolfbrothren »

Champion Wallace wrote:So, I get that Hereafter Thereafter and I Just Love Weddings were just the inspiration for Charlie and Bravo and this takes place in a different timeline so it's not set in stone whether or not Charlie dies by the river or Bravo gets an eyepatch *looks at all the people that keep saying "maybe this is where Bravo loses his eye"*, but does that still apply to Advanced Seating despite the fact that Chaokocat (co)wrote it, not Rick? Since it's too late to post in the comic discussion: can anyone tell what the photo in Fox's locker is of and what Echo is doing in the K-9 locker room? He hasn't shown any interest in being a police dog, going as far to say "The K-9 unit? No, I don't think I'd be any good at that... Being a police dog is just too much responsibility for me".
Well it is possible that after Charlie died he decided to join the K9 unit in order to honor him. It is quite common for kids to emulate their sibling's personality and/or interests after their sibling died. There is a term for it in psychology, but I don't recall it anymore. We talked about it in class for like one day a few years ago and it hasn't come up again since.

Champion Wallace

wolfbrothren wrote:Well it is possible that after Charlie died he decided to join the K9 unit in order to honor him. It is quite common for kids to emulate their sibling's personality and/or interests after their sibling died.
Do you mean the other sibling's personality, because Bravo was the one that wanted to join the police, not Charlie.
wolfbrothren

Post by wolfbrothren »

Champion Wallace wrote:
wolfbrothren wrote:Well it is possible that after Charlie died he decided to join the K9 unit in order to honor him. It is quite common for kids to emulate their sibling's personality and/or interests after their sibling died.
Do you mean the other sibling's personality, because Bravo was the one that wanted to join the police, not Charlie.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote: Image
Name: Charlie
Player Status: Active
Species: Dog - ???
Mental Status: Critical
Current Inventory: Collar and Tag
-Cheery
-Well mannered
-Aspires to be like the Dogs in the K-9 unit
-Clumsy
-Panics in stressful situations
-Self conscious about appearance
-In tight situations, will become enraged.
According to Chaoko's post on the first page, Charlie aspires to be like the K-9 unit dogs, I would figure that would also mean he would be interested in joining them.

Champion Wallace

Chaokocat, please tell us you're not waiting for the next anniversary to post the next decision point.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I'm waiting till people stop giving me a lot of money to draw stuff for a second :lol:
I'd actually love to just end this animation but I can't due to time constraints and not being in the mood to draw CHP as well. That being said if the game was past this point I could probably bang out updates every day or two if I simply cut back on the art and didn't make every shot some dynamic thing you could hang on your wall, like I used to.

But alas, I've been in high demand. Not sure what to do about it. This game's existence has been getting thinner and thinner the more and more work I get. Y'all think I should just sketch out the scenes instead or even lower just type the rest of this part out? I mean there's not much left, that's part of what's so annoying about not being able to get to it. :(
ImageImageImageImage
Champion Wallace

I'm open to persuasion, but my vote is for Option (they're not labeled): Still Images. This looks to me to be a classic quality vs. quantity problem. I've been waiting for months to actually play the game, but at the same time I want this to be as good as it can be. I've given it some thought, and I've concluded that at its core, visuals are there to help set up the parts of a scene where using words would be cumbersome or draw undue attention to something. The free roam scenes at the start do this well. While animating rain and motion lines looks cool, it doesn't contribute much to the story. On the flip side, the pencil sketch doesn't have enough capacity for detail to be worth it. In conclusion, if you want to sneak an origami duckling past us, draw a picture; if all that's happening is a character running down stairs, you could save some time and get away with just text (feel free to mix it up so the Easter eggs don't get predictable). The video for the last part was amazing, but if I'm being honest, not exactly worth the wait.
wolfbrothren

Post by wolfbrothren »

I will second Champion Wallace's vote for Still Images. The animation is awesome and that video was really impact-full, but I really want to see the story continue and if it is easier to do so with that, then that is what I vote for.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

if it means actual updates, bring on the year of the stick-pet.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Oh trust me my roughs aren't nearly that bad :lol: The sketches for these can take minutes, sometimes I think they look better than the finals. When it comes to inking, coloring, and backgrounds however, that's where it'd get a bit sloppy. It'd still look reminiscent of my style, but it probably wouldn't be pretty. It'd be enough to get the job done. I may even just skip inking since that takes the longest and just color the sketches. Not as authentic but eh, who cares.

Seems people just want me to get on with it, so I'll just get on with it :)
ImageImageImageImage
Champion Wallace

This is just my opinion, but I'd be willing to wait a bit longer between updates if it meant the illustrations were in color instead of black-and-white.
midnight

Post by midnight »

Name: Bravo
Player Status: In-Active
Species: Dog - German Shepard
Mental Status: Good

Here says IN-ACTIVE
So Chaoko just kinda predicted the outcome....

CONTINUE THE STORY OR I WILL SPAM YOU UNTIL THE END OF THE DAYS!!!!!
XD

(Really, i read all the story so far and almost cry for bravo......)
"Do you expect me to write a good reference? How about: Spartans never die, only dissapear in combat"
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

midnight wrote:Image
Name: Bravo
Player Status: In-Active
Species: Dog - German Shepard
Mental Status: Good

Here says IN-ACTIVE
So Chaoko just kinda predicted the outcome....

CONTINUE THE STORY OR I WILL SPAM YOU UNTIL THE END OF THE DAYS!!!!!
XD

(Really, i read all the story so far and almost cry for bravo......)
Please don't, I have important business messages I have to keep track of.

Also I've been rather busy with trying to release something for another Housepets! fanproject I am apart of and it was brought to my attention that we had to make the deadline around the same time I said I'd continue. On top of my freelance work and personal comic and game that I want to get published soon I've had no time for this game. I will at least end this chapter at some point soon. Whether or not the game will continue has and will continue to be up in the air until further notice.

As for me spoiling the outcome... I mean, did I really? I thought that last part was pretty blunt.
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yeah, there's not much room for interpretation when it comes to the term, "fatal."

And I will say, please don't spam the board. I'll be the least of your worries should you attempt that.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
midnight

Post by midnight »

D-Rock wrote:Yeah, there's not much room for interpretation when it comes to the term, "fatal."

And I will say, please don't spam the board. I'll be the least of your worries should you attempt that.
OK, i will not spam, NEVER.
I think i say it with the wrong words, im sorry, it will not happen again.

[/quote]As for me spoiling the outcome... I mean, did I really? I thought that last part was pretty blunt.[/quote]

Well not just that, actually in the one of charlie, it says mental status: Critical. and considering the fact that his mental statet dropped to almost zero at the end, is an incredible weird coincidence. (or you are a psychic, who knows)
"Do you expect me to write a good reference? How about: Spartans never die, only dissapear in combat"
wolfbrothren

Post by wolfbrothren »

midnight wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Yeah, there's not much room for interpretation when it comes to the term, "fatal."

OK, i will not spam, NEVER.
I think i say it with the wrong words, im sorry, it will not happen again.

As for me spoiling the outcome... I mean, did I really? I thought that last part was pretty blunt.[/quote]

Well not just that, actually in the one of charlie, it says mental status: Critical. and considering the fact that his mental statet dropped to almost zero at the end, is an incredible weird coincidence. (or you are a psychic, who knows)[/quote]

Ah, I think I see what the confusion is from. You are referring to their statuses listed on the first post. Those statuses are updated as the comic progresses, they were not posted that way originally. They say what they currently say because, as of the most recent update, that is what the current status is. Does that make sense?

midnight

Post by midnight »

wolfbrothren wrote:Ah, I think I see what the confusion is from. You are referring to their statuses listed on the first post. Those statuses are updated as the comic progresses, they were not posted that way originally. They say what they currently say because, as of the most recent update, that is what the current status is. Does that make sense?

Aaaaaaaa.....okey now i get it, i confused myself xd, anyway thanks dude!

Btw, with i said earlier, im really sorry, i dont want to cause problems to anyone, i wll get sure to re-read what im posting to dont make more mistakes.
garr890354839

Post by garr890354839 »

To let go means a split-up. I'd let go for a 2 v. 1 deal.