The CipherCafe: Have a Slice of Riddles & a Cup of Code Tea

For playing all sorts of silly I-don't-know-whats

Moderators: Render, ArcWolf

GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

The CipherCafe: Have a Slice of Riddles & a Cup of Code Tea

Post by GeckoZY »

First of all,

Code: Select all

Q EWCTL TQSM BW EMTKWUM ITT WN GWC BW BPM KQXPMZ KINM. Q PWXM BPIB EM EQTT PIDM TWBA WN NCV QV BPQA BPZMIL. FL
General Guidelines/Information on Drinking Code Tea

Please follow the forum rules.
Everyone may post, solve and discuss puzzles in this thread.
When posting puzzles, use the code tags to enclose the puzzle(if possible).
When solving puzzles, quote the original puzzle/problem and enclose your answer in the code tags(if possible).
You may give hints or clues on your puzzles at any time; preferably quote the original puzzle.
If your puzzle is left unsolved for more than a week, please post the solution. Unless if they still want to attempt solving it.
If someone attempts to answer your puzzle, check their answer/solution by saying CORRECT or wrong.
Multiple puzzles may be open for solving at any time.
When correcting puzzles, please add the word 'Corrections:' then link/add the corrections to the original post.
There aren't any limits in the type of puzzles used, like text, images, etc. Just try to avoid overly complicated or impossible puzzles.
These guidelines will be helpful when having multiple puzzles at a time. :)

Sample Tea Conversation

Banoffee:
I have a cipher for you

OUU
MTG
*discussions on puzzle*

PieLover314:
Banoffee wrote:

OUU
MTG
Is this correct?

COOLER
Banoffee:
PieLover314 wrote:

COOLER
Sorry it's wrong.

*more discussions on puzzle*

Gamer2178:
Banoffee wrote:

OUU
MTG
Is this right?

BANANA
Banoffee:
Gamer2178 wrote:

BANANA
Yes! It's CORRECT!

Banner

Still baking them XD

Ever Expanding Menu

#Product = $tatus
#1GeckoZY = $mathgrant
#2mathgrant = $GeckoZY
#3mathgrant = $GeckoZY
#4GeckoZY = $mathgrant
#5GeckoZY = Unsold
#6GeckoZY = $mathgrant
#7ChewyChewy = Unsold

PM me on any suggestions or corrections.
And last, but not the least, Enjoy!!
Last edited by GeckoZY on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Render
Wanna play a game?

Re: The CipherCafe: Have a Slice of Riddles & a Cup of Code

Post by Render »

Oh, it is finally done. :D The CiferCafe opened it's doors! Reserve me a slice of your Riddlecake for tomorrow when I start to solve your starter. Image
Last edited by Render on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

I'll start baking more ciphers cakes. I hope that you'll like the appetizer. :D
El Psy Congroo
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

http://scottbryce.com/cryptograms/

I would like to welcome all of you to the cipher cafe. I hope that you will have lots of fun in this thread. XD
Hey, in the National Puzzlers' League, you'd have to put an asterisk before each instance of Q to indicate that it's a letter that's capitalized due to being a proper noun, a proper adjective, or the like. This means that McMurry might appear as *ND*NVSSZ. I also think you'd have to mark *F*L as "not MW", because it's not an entry in Merriam-Webster's. The National Puzzlers' League has standards to keep things fair for the solver; it's good to know that a cryptogram is stumping you because it's hard and not because it contains made-up things that aren't in the dictionary.

As an example of how these work, here's a cryptogram I submitted to the National Puzzlers' League a few months ago. Prove to me that furries aren't all dumb, and solve it! :)

Happy players. (*CODE *EABFG, *OBOFGOKD, *EBB = not MW)
 *CODE *EABFG CFDHIC JBKGD LMNG CFDPG EBFA *OBOFGOKD, QPLBOL KEMPRBCA CFMRR: "*EBB-CGSS EABSG TDQ EDPI."
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

mathgrant wrote:Prove to me that furries aren't all dumb, and solve it! :)
hey, that's no fair. If they don't solve it it's cause they're people, not cause they're furries.

plus, we aren't dumb, just not as clever as you
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

mathgrant wrote:

I would like to welcome all of you to the cipher cafe. I hope that you will have lots of fun in this thread. XD
Yes, that is correct. It was meant to be as simple as possible.
mathgrant wrote:Hey, in the National Puzzlers' League, you'd have to put an asterisk before each instance of Q to indicate that it's a letter that's capitalized due to being a proper noun, a proper adjective, or the like. This means that McMurry might appear as *ND*NVSSZ. I also think you'd have to mark *F*L as "not MW", because it's not an entry in Merriam-Webster's. The National Puzzlers' League has standards to keep things fair for the solver; it's good to know that a cryptogram is stumping you because it's hard and not because it contains made-up things that aren't in the dictionary.
Although fairness is important in this 'game', we're not really aiming to have a perfect, international grade 'game'. We're just a bunch of people, randomly sending each other ciphers and codes while playing MvM (we were requested to make a separate thread for this, instead of doing it in MvM); and nothing close to a guild of code-makers and code-breakers. They are good suggestions, but I think it would be best to leave it to the code-maker whether they want to follow those conventions or not.
And, your link over there doesn't even use the conventions. XD
mathgrant wrote:Prove to me that furries aren't all dumb, and solve it! :)
That's quite an unfair generalization. Solving it doesn't imply anything of my level of intelligence, nor does it imply anybody else's level of intelligence. It's like telling someone that by default, all Texans love Nintendo just because one of them loves it or all Americans are members of NPL just because of of them is.
mathgrant wrote:

Happy players. (*CODE *EABFG, *OBOFGOKD, *EBB = not MW)
 *CODE *EABFG CFDHIC JBKGD LMNG CFDPG EBFA *OBOFGOKD, QPLBOL KEMPRBCA CFMRR: "*EBB-CGSS EABSG TDQ EDPI."
Answer?

SNOW WHITE STOCKS VIDEO GAME STORE WITH NINTENDO, URGING DWARFISH STAFF: "WII-SELL WHILE YOU WORK."
I hated that dash over there, seems to make it a wee bit more confusing. XD
And, thanks for the cipher and your suggestions! :P
El Psy Congroo
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Just on a random note, mathgrant makes logic puzzles professionally. He even has a cleverly-titled logic puzzle blog.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

So there is nothing to solve at the moment... OK, I'll just lean back and enjoy the riddlecake and the cup of code tea.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

GeckoZY wrote:

SNOW WHITE STOCKS VIDEO GAME STORE WITH NINTENDO, URGING DWARFISH STAFF: "WII-SELL WHILE YOU WORK."
Congratulations! Despite my best attempts not to leave in any obvious break-ins like the words "a" and "I", you have persevered and deciphered the stupid pun. :3

Also, sorry for the comments about the intelligence of furries; after having my butt kicked at Dr. Mario by a furry/pegasister, I think I have all the proof I'll ever need that there are some really smart people in the furry community, as there are in any community. :p

Regarding the comments about National Puzzlers' League standards for crypts, they are admittedly not very well adhered to outside that community, but that's because it's not common practice to devise phrases that are purposefully hard to decipher (by avoiding common break-ins). The hardest cryptograms consist entirely of words which are the same length! O_O I provided that link to the Scott Bryce cryptograms page not because it adheres to these standards, but because it's a really convenient way to solve cryptograms (just copy and paste into the box). In any event, that puzzle would have been harder to solve had you not known to expect non-dictionary-certified proper nouns like Nintendo and Wii. :)

Next, you guys will be the guinea pigs for a cryptogram I just wrote. Nobody in the puzzle community has test-solved it yet. [Edit: ralphmerridew solved it in 13 minutes.]

Sound reasoning.
AZYI XWVUPAVRU NQOMZLNT SL SPINAL TAPXR NMNYUAVY PQOMVKVNAR UZ JZAI, OZRVUVHX, "UGNRN XZ UZ MNPFNH."
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

mathgrant wrote:

Sound reasoning.
AZYI XWVUPAVRU NQOMZLNT SL SPINAL TAPXR NMNYUAVY PQOMVKVNAR UZ JZAI, OZRVUVHX, "UGNRN XZ UZ MNPFNH."
Is it

ROCK GUITARIST EMPLOYED BY BAKERY DRAGS ELECTRIC AMPLIFIERS TO WORK, POSITING, "THESE GO TO LEAVEN."

Puzzle:
A rotation in this puzzle is a 45 degree turn clockwise or counter-clockwise of a link.
Ring 1 (innermost) is fixed.
Labels 1, 2, 3, 4 shows the links in their rotation. Rotating 'link 1', rotates both ring 2 and ring 3. EDIT: Rotating 'link 2' rotates ring 3 and ring 5.
1 (r2,r3) , 2 (r3,r5), 4 (r2,r5) are linked rotations. 3 (r3) is a un-linked rotation.
Solve with the least number of 45 degree turns.
Use this convention, '2++' rotate link 2 by 90 degrees CW and '4-' rotate link 4 by 45 degrees CCW.

Correction: I have posted the wrong image. The image has been updated.

Enjoy!! :P
Last edited by GeckoZY on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
El Psy Congroo
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

GeckoZY wrote:

ROCK GUITARIST EMPLOYED BY BAKERY DRAGS ELECTRIC AMPLIFIERS TO WORK, POSITING, "THESE GO TO LEAVEN."
Yep! Did my hiding SPINAL TAP in the ciphertext help? :)

I'm glad to be spreading the joy of wordplay somewhere. X3
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

mathgrant wrote:
GeckoZY wrote:

Yep! Did my hiding SPINAL TAP in the ciphertext help? :)

I'm glad to be spreading the joy of wordplay somewhere. X3
I've only noticed Spinal. :o
Hidden messages in ciphers? Sounds a lot like the Inception.
El Psy Congroo
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Let's give link 1 k clockwise rotations, link 2 l clockwise rotations, link 3 m clockwise rotations, and link 4 n clockwise rotations. Then ring 2 will have been rotated k+n times, ring 3 k+l+n times, ring 4 l+m+n times, and ring 5 l+n times. Since these rings need 3, 6, 1, and 5 clockwise rotations, respectively, to fix the picture, we have this system of equations in modulo 8:

k+n=3
k+l+n=6
l+m+n=1
l+n=5

Solving, we get k=1 l=3 m=4 n=2. By your notation, this would be 1+ 2+++ 3++++ 4++?
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

mathgrant wrote:Let's give link 1 k clockwise rotations, link 2 l clockwise rotations, link 3 m clockwise rotations, and link 4 n clockwise rotations. Then ring 2 will have been rotated k+n times, ring 3 k+l+n times, ring 4 l+m+n times, and ring 5 l+n times. Since these rings need 3, 6, 1, and 5 clockwise rotations, respectively, to fix the picture, we have this system of equations in modulo 8:

k+n=3
k+l+n=6
l+m+n=1
l+n=5

Solving, we get k=1 l=3 m=4 n=2. By your notation, this would be 1+ 2+++ 3++++ 4++?
I think I should have made it a little bit clearer. The links only connects two rings, not all the rings that intersect the lines. Sorry about that. It would have been correct if it was how you've interpreted it.
I think you can easily do, it's much simpler that this. XD
El Psy Congroo
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Let's try this again.

k+n=3
k+l=6
m=1
l+n=5

(k,l,m,n)=(2,4,1,1) or (6,0,1,5). The first one would be represented by 1++ 2++++ 3+ 4+, and the second would be 1-- 3+ 4---. The second one uses fewer 45-degree turns.
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

mathgrant wrote:Let's try this again.

k+n=3
k+l=6
m=1
l+n=5

(k,l,m,n)=(2,4,1,1) or (6,0,1,5). The first one would be represented by 1++ 2++++ 3+ 4+, and the second would be 1-- 3+ 4---. The second one uses fewer 45-degree turns.
Yes, that's correct. XD

The file was a bit too big to be uploaded. XD
El Psy Congroo
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

I have two new code desserts!! :D
A Code Dessert for you, for You! And, For All of You!

Code#5

ELFLHD XMVJCWW XPRXI DWQCCX YMOFKIT AMROLBO PLABQX CI VMMCC CL KLIMKCIBRO WCGCPVLCX.
Code#6

YZFD NLM DFDV GVKCC LFEDVKHB Q NMBC AMZHGKGN LR TMFTDVX QX Q BVLMP? SCOO, SC CKC. KG QFVKFDE GYFCD YLMFW OQGC. XYLMOE NQRC LVCCFCC PKAQQX KYWGCZE.
Have fun!! :twisted:
Sorry for the double post, I've asked permission.

EDIT:
Clue: qwerty keyboards
El Psy Congroo
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

GeckoZY wrote:

YZFD NLM DFDV GVKCC LFEDVKHB Q NMBC AMZHGKGN LR TMFTDVX QX Q BVLMP? SCOO, SC CKC. KG QFVKFDE GYFCD YLMFW OQGC. XYLMOE NQRC LVCCFCC PKAQQX KYWGCZE.
EDIT:
Clue: qwerty keyboards

have  you ever tried ordering a huge quantity of burgers as a group? well, we  did. it arrived three hours late. should have ordered pizzas instead.
The clue helped. The switch from simple substitution cipher to a not-so-simple one (each letter can represent one of two other letters) was jarring and threw a huge wrench in the works.
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

mathgrant wrote:

have  you ever tried ordering a huge quantity of burgers as a group? well, we  did. it arrived three hours late. should have ordered pizzas instead.
The clue helped. The switch from simple substitution cipher to a not-so-simple one (each letter can represent one of two other letters) was jarring and threw a huge wrench in the works.
Yes, that's correct. XD

Initially, I was wondering whether 'qwerty keyboards' would be a pretty useless clue. It seems helpful for this case.
El Psy Congroo
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Since days I am fighting with the no 5. It drives me nuts. Whatever I try, the result is always gibberish :|

I think the clue is also valid for this one, right?

Image Image
ImageImageImage
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Yes, it's the same clue for both. :)
El Psy Congroo
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Here's a riddle:

"Celsius boils water right after sunrise, with five minutes of thunder."

Can you decipher it?
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
mathgrant

Post by mathgrant »

Ugh. The hint "qwerty keyboards" gets me nowhere in that other cipher. VMMCC doesn't look promising for a one-to-one cipher; COOEE fits, but leaves everything else looking like crap. I also know it's not a Playfair cipher because VMMCC CL can't arise from that.

For ChewyChewy, some theories: Celsius boils water = 100 degrees? 5 minutes of thunder equals 60 miles (http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-the-Di ... -Lightning)?
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

mathgrant wrote:For ChewyChewy, some theories: Celsius boils water = 100 degrees? 5 minutes of thunder equals 60 miles (http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-the-Di ... -Lightning)?
You're right so far. ;) Now put it together and guess the whole thing. (like "right after sunrise".)
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Has anybody else ever deciphered the ciphers at the bottom of each page of the Artemis Fowl books?

18 21 2 12 6 24 26 13 8 12 15 5 22 7 19 18 8 11 6 1 1 15 22 

18' 15 15 25 22 5 22 9 2 18 14 11 9 22 8 8 22 23 25 22 24 26 

6 8 22 18' 5 22 7 9 18 22 23 7 12 14 26 16 22 18 7 9 22 26 15 

15 2 23 18 21 21 18 24 15 7 21 12 9 2 12 6 25 2 9 22 14 12 5 

18 13 20 26 15 15 7 19 22 8 11 26 24 22 8 21 9 12 14 7 19 18 

8 9 26 7 19 22 9 15 12 13 20 8 22 13 7 22 13 24 22.
I've left in the apostrophes to make this a little easier for you.
Also, the lines breaks are just so there's not one long line of text on the page. They may or may not correspond with spaces between the words. Good luck solving this one! ;)
HINT: The puzzle half explains itself.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I don't suppose the numbers correspond to positions in the alphabet, I started out getting RUBLEFX (rubble effects? x3)
Sent from my conifer.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

It's not RUBLEFX, I'll tell you that much. Each number is a different letter - it's up to you to determine the sequence, and once you start to fill in some of the letters you'll probably get the pattern pretty easily.
Last edited by Hlaoroo on Fri May 17, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

lasthunter

Post by lasthunter »

hehehe.....silly bunny i read those books and deciphered them.....and the 39 clues books.... :P
i am the one who shall fight the mods, i am the one who shall find the loop holes and hidden ways, i am the one who shall lead with the flag, i am part of the rebellion, and i am its weapon.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Here's another hint: 18=I
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

NHWestoN

Re: The CipherCafe: Have a Slice of Riddles & a Cup of Code Tea

Post by NHWestoN »

Never got answered, I guess. Nine years is a long "Um ... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................", eh?