So, uh, my Games*

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

xhunterko

So, uh, my Games*

Post by xhunterko »

So, here's a couple of flash games that I've been working on. I'll update this later with posts of my other downloadable games. So, here are some links:

Kuroki*
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/549664

My second submission to the experimental gameplay project. You are a demon lord being punished by his mistress for failing in a task. You are to defend a dying tree for 100 days or more from other demon lords. Use the arrow keys to move, press space to shoot. Some more stuff is explained in the discription. The theme for the experimental gameplay project last month was "neverending". You cannot die. The game is reset after the tree dies.

"Note"
------------------------------------------------
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/548794

My first entry. Catch the falling blocks that drop from the sky. The red blocks give regular points. The black blocks subtract points. The purple blocks add to a bonus timer that, if it reaches 7, sends a rainbow. The rainbow doubles the points of the red blocks. When the purple bonus timer reaches 14+, a second rainbow appears, quadrupling the points. The bonus goes back to 0 after the second rainbow dissapears. I tried to think of simple controls. So I settled on using the mouse to play.

I'll probably be updating "Kuroki" over the next couple weeks. Hopefully, if I'm lucky, maybe I'll be a submission to an indie games arcade store this month. Hopefully. So, please enjoy, and please give me feedback. Thanks!

*Kuroki has been updated with a new weapon.
Last edited by xhunterko on Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xhunterko

Re: So, uh, my Games*

Post by xhunterko »

Reserved
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

The endless bird thing was kinda tedious, mainly because it would not let me go straight up and down, but the musical blocks was quite relaxing. I only started getting purple blocks like over 5 minutes into it though.

Anyways, nice ideas you had. ;)
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Thanks flint! The movements one the things I'm still working on. Maybe I'll get something sorted out with that. For now, I'm just trying to add features. Will work on that though!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

im partially colorblind and i couldn't tell the red blocks from the black ones, especially since they were moving. i would pick more contrasting colors.
bwah bwah
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

SomebodyYouKnow wrote:im partially colorblind and i couldn't tell the red blocks from the black ones, especially since they were moving. i would pick more contrasting colors.
But the black block was 20 times smaller. How hard it that to tell apart. >_<
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

"im partially colorblind and i couldn't tell the red blocks from the black ones, especially since they were moving. i would pick more contrasting colors."

And one thing to be worried about, dismissing, and then having it pop-up later. I honestly thought about doing a color blind version. But then I thought, 'eh, i doubt it'll get that much attention so i don't need to worry about it'. My bad. I'll try to do something about that next week. Thanks for alerting me to the issue!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:
SomebodyYouKnow wrote:im partially colorblind and i couldn't tell the red blocks from the black ones, especially since they were moving. i would pick more contrasting colors.
But the black block was 20 times smaller. How hard it that to tell apart. >_<
there were tiny red ones :c
xhunterko wrote:"im partially colorblind and i couldn't tell the red blocks from the black ones, especially since they were moving. i would pick more contrasting colors."

And one thing to be worried about, dismissing, and then having it pop-up later. I honestly thought about doing a color blind version. But then I thought, 'eh, i doubt it'll get that much attention so i don't need to worry about it'. My bad. I'll try to do something about that next week. Thanks for alerting me to the issue!
and thats why you get cookies.
bwah bwah
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

When I do get to re-making the graphics for a colorblind version, what would be easier to recognise? I've come up with so far: letters, numbers, symbols, or patterns? Not sure what to do about this.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

just keep the colors more intense. that is to say, use red, not maroon, blue, not indigo, etc.
as for symbols, make sure to see what they look like when they travel down, because it blurs the images, making them harder to make out. keep it simple: circles, squares triangles, and vericle stripes (not horazontal, it conflicts with the movement pattern)
bwah bwah
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Try this:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/550011

I went with the "brighter colors option". If they're too bright, I might try shapes later. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

The updated "Note" game is now on newgrounds.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

xhunterko wrote:Try this:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/550011

I went with the "brighter colors option". If they're too bright, I might try shapes later. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
eeeeeeexxxxxcccceeeeelllllllleeeennnnnttttttttttt.......
bwah bwah
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

eeeeeeexxxxxcccceeeeelllllllleeeennnnnttttttttttt.......
Phew.

That's good to know. Hopefully I'll keep that design choice in mind in the future.
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

I have been updating one of my games recently and remembered this thread. Even though it's now on game jolt, a few changes have been made. These are outlined in the overview so read that first to get oriented. Thanks for playing and any feedback. Enjoy!

http://gamejolt.com/online/games/shoote ... -wip/3688/