Desktop Background

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Big Brother

Desktop Background

Post by Big Brother »

What's yours?
Attachments
Desktop.jpg
Desktop.jpg (213.13 KiB) Viewed 61326 times
Big Brother is here to comfort you. ;3 Check my DA: http://www.yourbigbrother.deviantart.com/
daemonxblaze

Re: Desktop Background

Post by daemonxblaze »

Is Night So Different From Day?
Nuclear Fusion

Post by Nuclear Fusion »

Sooner or later, every forum gets one of these. Next we'll have a thread for what music we're listening to, and one for funny cat pictures.

Oh, right. Desktops.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/ ... op/Aya.jpg

Just changed it to that because the old one was on for more than two weeks.
How are all you guys doing, huh? Guys?.......guys?
Silenvo

Post by Silenvo »

Desktops... okay. i got a few i alternate threw.

http://leundra.deviantart.com/art/Umbra ... n-58120434
The links i provide might not work so sorry if they don't.. This is one i use ocasionaly..
http://evilkuroneko.deviantart.com/art/ ... t-37245401
Bunny.. Very cute little guy.. but cool as well. >.>
http://killforaheart.deviantart.com/art ... s-73287680
...Coolish one..
The two files im uploading are also some backgrounds i use, 1 i have no idea where i got it, the liam-sakido one is from the Slightly Damned web comic, you should go check it out its really a good 1 i think. anyway... thats all. enjoy. :O Currently while im posting this im using "perilous-waters" background. Anyway.. Enjoy.
Attachments
Midnight Dragon Wallpaper.jpg
Midnight Dragon Wallpaper.jpg (144.04 KiB) Viewed 61279 times
liam-sakido.jpg
liam-sakido.jpg (200.65 KiB) Viewed 61282 times
† §ilenvö Ãrdèsh †
Big Brother

Post by Big Brother »

I see that we have some Slightly Damned fans here!
Big Brother is here to comfort you. ;3 Check my DA: http://www.yourbigbrother.deviantart.com/
icarus

Post by icarus »

mine may be content-inappropriate. i'll censor up a version, lesse here...
Attachments
there we go, kosher now.
there we go, kosher now.
desktopidunno.jpg (72.01 KiB) Viewed 61248 times
do you think the girls here ever wonder how they got so pretty?
well, i do.
FerretWithASpork

Post by FerretWithASpork »

JUST changed mine and thought I'd shate :D :D :D

This is a pic my friend drew of me as a wolf.
Attachments
(Yes, I have a pony-tail)
(Yes, I have a pony-tail)
Desktop.jpg (187.47 KiB) Viewed 61222 times
Manachu Boy

Post by Manachu Boy »

Mine tends to be whatever my crazy fangirlish wife wants it to be, about ten seconds ago it was James May from Top Gear but I replaced it with ceiling cat as she's not around atm to change it back. :3
JakJak

Post by JakJak »

Here is mine!

Lol ok here is mine really this time
FerretWithASpork

Post by FerretWithASpork »

JakJak wrote:Here is mine!
RANDOM FACT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you know that that image, the default desktop for Windows, was purchased for 7 million dollars...
Isolation

Post by Isolation »

wow! really? thats... thats.. i cant even think of anything at the moment..
I stand out side and stare at the stars alot. does that make me weird?
fourwinds

Post by fourwinds »

I've got this
http://exterminatusnow.comicgenesis.com ... 0x1600.jpg

I know Halloween was months ago but I haven't found anything better yet
Last edited by fourwinds on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeyondUshuaia

Post by BeyondUshuaia »

Here, is my background, a little clutter but since I'm always making random sketches I just dump them there.

I do in photoshop what kindergartners do with fingerpaints.
Kadoukan

Post by Kadoukan »

eww macintosh.
but nice wallpaper though.
Slippery-Q

Post by Slippery-Q »

Be afraid.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

hm
something tells me these pics are a bit big
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

BeyondUshuaia wrote:STUFF
I JUST REALISED IT'S YOU WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN DOING MANG COME BACK MORE AAAAAH

EDIT: I JUST REALISED THAT POST'S FROM AGES AGO AND KADOUKAN RESURRECTED ANOTHER TOPIC
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Don't worry Ebly. Same thing happened to me with that "Wallpaper" thread. At least this is a thread that can actually be contributed to though.

As you can see, I keep my desktop relatively neat...and running Win 7 RC still. Ungh, I have to buy Win 7...that's a $100 dollar chunk of change...at least the RC still works for a while longer.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
ToastyJester

Post by ToastyJester »

I have almost nothing cause this is new and I didn't install any of my old games.

So yeah. Empty.
Last edited by ToastyJester on Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
VMy comic: Has that new car smell!V
Jester S: 3 P: 7 E: 3 C: 9 I: 7 A: 5 L: 8
Caroline S: 5 P: 9 E: 5 C: 3 I: 8 A: 7 L: 5
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Buckdida wrote:buck stuff
tf2, portal, hl2, hl2: ep 1, hl2: ep 2, hl2: lc, hld: dm, audiosurf, dystopia, smashball...

you and i are playing dystopia or smashball together sometime one day

also, that folder there, next to zombie panic, what's it named?
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Ebly wrote:
tf2, portal, hl2, hl2: ep 1, hl2: ep 2, hl2: lc, hld: dm, audiosurf, dystopia, smashball...

Hmm? That one? "Mapping." I've been working on a map or two for TF2, and I've got a ton of ideas for some L4D maps...But I haven't gotten a chance to really put all the files back into the Source SDK (software dev kit) so there they sit for now. Why do you ask? You'd better not have thought what I think you thought it was...

Also, I see you left L4D of that list. What DO you have against that game?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Buckdida wrote:
Ebly wrote:

Hmm? That one? "Mapping." I've been working on a map or two for TF2, and I've got a ton of ideas for some L4D maps...But I haven't gotten a chance to really put all the files back into the Source SDK (software dev kit) so there they sit for now. Why do you ask? You'd better not have thought what I think you thought it was...

Also, I see you left L4D of that list. What DO you have against that game?
ffhee, i only left it off of -that- list because i don't have it. notice how i also did not mention unreal tournament or age of chivalry. i kind of don't have those, either.

but as far as what i have against it, nothing. i just don't like the look of it and i'm not going to buy it. not really interested in zombie survival games, I reckon it's been overdone.

what did you think i first thought it was?
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

here is mine, if anyone cares.

http://img59.yfrog.com/img59/7881/new2f.jpg

what what? Jolly good time.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Here are my two desktops (I have two monitors connected to my main computer).
However, those are my two most favorite backgrounds, since I currently have 129 different wallpapers, which are changing automatically. Ans since I like all of them (if I haven't, I would deleted them long time ago or don't even copied to my wallpapers folder at all), I also created a single picture containing thumbnails of all my wallpapers.
All my wallpapers (thumbnails)

I know my desktop's a mess, because I use it virtually only as a space for temporary files (I use different tools to access needed files and programs) and clean it only once a time. Also, I don't see my desktop most time anyway, since I have opened many windows. However, I have my wallpaper folder synchronized with my PDA, so all my 129 wallpapers are also automatically showing on my PDA lock screen in random order, where they're not cluttered with icons :-)
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Tails++ wrote:Here are my two desktops (I have two monitors connected to my main computer).
However, those are my two most favorite backgrounds, since I currently have 129 different wallpapers, which are changing automatically. Ans since I like all of them (if I haven't, I would deleted them long time ago or don't even copied to my wallpapers folder at all), I also created a single picture containing thumbnails of all my wallpapers.

I know my desktop's a mess, because I use it virtually only as a space for temporary files (I use different tools to access needed files and programs) and clean it only once a time. Also, I don't see my desktop most time anyway, since I have opened many windows. However, I have my wallpaper folder synchronized with my PDA, so all my 129 wallpapers are also automatically showing on my PDA lock screen in random order, where they're not cluttered with icons :-)
AUGH

Get some folders up in that desktop! ANY folders! My tech inept parents have a less cluttered desktop! MY SISTER (of the younger variety) has a less cluttered desktop! I know you say it's temporary space but crap, how do you find things?!?!?
JakJak

Post by JakJak »

Tails++ wrote:Here are my two desktops (I have two monitors connected to my main computer).
If you don't mind, could you send me the 7th row, 2nd column picture and the planets in the 9th column? Those ones look way epic.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Buckdida wrote:AUGH

Get some folders up in that desktop! ANY folders! My tech inept parents have a less cluttered desktop! MY SISTER (of the younger variety) has a less cluttered desktop! I know you say it's temporary space but crap, how do you find things?!?!?
Buck is right. That desktop is really too cluttered >.< It hides the awesome desktop background. Look at mine, I don't have ANY icons on my desktop.
Richarson Valley

NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Here's my desktop or something

Whatever.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

NoelL wrote:Here's my desktop or something

Whatever.
Whatever.

/cut
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Ebly

Post by Ebly »

i don't think rinoa would even really care in the first place
she'd think about it
and then she'd think 'whatever' to herself
and it would just not ever happen at all
i mean, she has black hair, she's got to be like that
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I have this as my desktop
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Buckdida wrote:AUGH
Why? Folders will cause only one things: Increased latency when accessing files. I need fast and quick access to temporary files, when I need to do something quickly. After I'm done, I leave files there and once a time, I delete them all. They're just temporary, so Ctrl+A and Shift+Delete would do no damage. This also implies, that I don't need to find things on my desktop, since I don't need them anymore (as I mentioned, things I need often, are stored in different locations), and in that short period, when I need them, I remember their exact location. However, if I really needed to find something specific, I would just press the beginning letter of that filename once or more times and Explorer will automatically select it so I can see, where it is (it works in any folder including desktop, since they're all maintained by explorer.exe, if you haven't installed any replacements of these tools supplied by system (I don't mean file managers, but replacements of whole GUI, like Windows Blinds, but I don't know if this one has also replacement for explorer.exe, since I've never tried it), in which case, it may work differently).

Anyway, what are you suggesting witch tech inept parents and less cluttered desktop? Are technological skills and desktop clutteration (I don't know if that's even a proper word (well, obviously isn't, since Firefox's spell-checker doesn't seem to like it very much as well as my favorite dictionary), since I made it up, but you should know what I mean, and I think it sounds funny :-) ) even related? What I'm trying to say is, that everyone has a different style of work with computer and it's tools, since they can be used in many different ways. Someone like Alex prefers appearance over functionality and has absolutely no icons, somebody has only few icons - shortcuts to favorite programs/folders and somebody uses it only as space for temporary files with very low access latency, since he needs to process temporary tasks really fast and folders = more Windows will only increase complexity and number of mouse clicks and thus, folders for temporary files will cause "the real mess", so technically, that "thing" on my desktop isn't really a mess, but healthy workspace ecosystem. I also read about one study, that somewhat cluttered desk (normal wooden desk in office, cluttered with papers) is better than papers stored in large pills or cabinets, since the person can process important papers quickly, instead of searching. Another analogy can be made with RAM and harddrive, while RAM represents quick access media for temporary data (that is true, since RAM are made from unipolar transistors and information is stored in transistor's grid using it's capacitance and thus, when power's gone, data are gone too, but I/O is very very fast, thousands of MB per second and access time in nanoseconds), while folder subsystem is represented by harddrive (classic magnetic, not SSDs) with slow access (rotating aluminum plate with magnetic coating and also mechanical read/write head, causing IO in tens of MB (in modern HDDs even over a hundred, in RAID0,5... even several hundred, but that's expensive and data lost prone (RAID 0)), but large capacity). However you know what some people say "Order is for stupid, smart ones can handle chaos", but I'm not implying that anyone with clean desktop is stupid (since desktop isn't the only one candidate for clutter), it's just something funny I recalled, because some children say it often when they have to tidy their rooms :-) .

JakJak: Here (zip archive, ~11MB). I hope I didn't forget anything.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Tails++ wrote:long post
You just basically acknowledged that having too many items on your desktop can be a bad thing for your computer, didn't you? U:

anyway, as far as different workplaces for different people go, I keep my desktop squeaky-clean, but i have billions and billions of shortcuts in my dock/start menu, depending on whether I'm using my mac or windows.
i'm awesome. 8D
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Ebly: What? I didn't said a word about cluttered desktop being bad for computer (how bad it can even be for a computer? It makes almost no difference when icons are on desktop or in a folder and it couldn't damage physical hardware nor software anyhow. When you think about it, icons in directories will "damage" hardware more, since for the same task I need more time and thus hardware gets older a little more (but only in time/task ratio), but this is virtually unnoticeable. However, doing the same task again and again each day, can result in more age-damaged hardware/number of finished tasks, than with desktop icons, which increase number of finished tasks, so the hardware with the same age will have better age/finished tasks ratio, but how significant this difference would be, will require some experiments, which would be very time consuming and also hardly feasible, since even if you can get two pieces of hardware, with (almost) same age, each one will be still a little different, because it's virtually impossible to manufacture two pieces of hardware exactly the same at the molecular structure, even in larger scales, so they would distort test results), only merely explained, that it's beneficial for my work-style/habits.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Alex

Post by Alex »

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss12 ... ktop-1.png

I have a new desktop. Last time, I hid the icons, but this time, I didn't. Just look at how cluttered it is....
Richarson Valley

Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Alex wrote:http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss12 ... ktop-1.png

I have a new desktop. Last time, I hid the icons, but this time, I didn't. Just look at how cluttered it is....
Your recycle bin is still on it /sarcasm

I got it stretched over my 2 screens now (I hope rick griffin wont mind me posting my desktop, considering it's altered for personal use)
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Alex

Post by Alex »

New desktop:
Richarson Valley

JakJak

Post by JakJak »

lol I just now got the wallpapers tails when I could've gotten them a month ago. I think that means I don't visit often... but thanks for them tails :D