Collaborative Artistic Improvement Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

kurowolfe

Re: Collaborative Artistic Improvement Thread

Post by kurowolfe »

Psykeout wrote:"yeah you should get SAI"
"I don't have a tablet"
"oh, then that's useless. what do you have?"
"GiIMP"
"Yikes. I've only used Photoshop"

CAN WE ALL JUST GET ON THE SAME PROGRAM.
I'm out of the league, I'm using Macromedia Fireworks 8. X3 And yeah, everything I did up to now are basically vectors.
I might be getting SAI or GIMP later, when I got my tablet next month

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

@ Laxan: For outlining I found two options regarding nice line art. I found that creating a seperate layer (hoping whatever program you're using has layers) and making a hard brush set at 50% opacity being relatively small, a little smaller than the line weight you want works well for tracing over the drawing again. The only problem I found with this is that it looked slightly jagged at times and it would take an extensive amount of time to refine the lines. My hand shakes a little sometimes involuntarily, but that could just be my own problem. That method may work for you.

The second way I found to do it was with the pen tool in photoshop. The pen tool is a little different than the pen tool in a few other programs. It sets dots that are connected by line, or which you can tweak to be exact lines. I find it too look extremely professional in some ways. I'm experimenting with the pen tool as of late but I'm searching for different ways continually. If I find anymore I'll bring it up.

But until then, here's a line to how to use the pen tool as well as a few other inking tutorials. I found this link to be very helpful. I already posted it on the page before, but it may have gotten missed, so please enjoy this second link. X3 http://www.sosfactory.com/blog/how-to/d ... mpilation/

Also... this link is pretty good too. :3 http://lizkay.deviantart.com/art/Digita ... p-43103891

@Kurowolfe: I really suggest getting GIMP. It's almost exactly like photoshop except it's completely free. :3

Every program has similar tools that can be ascribed in the same way. GIMP and Photoshop both have brushes, opacity settings, selection tools, and general tools. Those are very transversal and can be used even though it's not the same program. I haven't used Paint SAI but I'm sure it has similar tools as well. If you pay attention to how to tutorials look and search around on your programs you can find the same tools and apply them similarly. Experimentation is encouraged greatly to be able to find what works best for you or best in general. Paint SAI also has a free trial version as well if you care to try that.

Another program that hasn't come up much is Painter. I have that program too but rarely use it... *is dumb* I may have to find some tutorials on it as well. If anyone has Painter, let me know and I'll get to work on helping you out too. :3
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

kurowolfe wrote:
Psykeout wrote:"yeah you should get SAI"
"I don't have a tablet"
"oh, then that's useless. what do you have?"
"GiIMP"
"Yikes. I've only used Photoshop"

CAN WE ALL JUST GET ON THE SAME PROGRAM.
I'm out of the league, I'm using Macromedia Fireworks 8. X3 And yeah, everything I did up to now are basically vectors.
I might be getting SAI or GIMP later, when I got my tablet next month
I don't have a tablet, and I think GIMP is a pretty ok program to use if you don't have one but want to work with digital art. And it's free and junk.
bwah bwah
ResTheRabbit

Post by ResTheRabbit »

*taps pencil on desk and clears throat audibly* eghm...

http://petit-hiwatari.deviantart.com/gallery/32143668

^ THIS!

What took this rabbit a month or so of hard work and painful neck strain to learn in photoshop, literally got trampled on by this tutorial right here. I feel so happy and so grahblahblah at the same time. Please enjoy this. It works extremely well.
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

... YES! That's awesome. Now I need to get SAI.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

... And a tablet.
Sent from my conifer.
Zander

Post by Zander »

I got both xD

Instead of tablet and sai,
I use pencil and Photoshop xD

Planning to switch to sai now that I have it, but doubt I'll give up pencil.
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

I have a question, what can I do to scan my charcoal drawings (almost everything i have ever drawn) without messing up the scanner? I want to upload them.
Sent from my conifer.
CY_Law

Post by CY_Law »

Get fixative and apply it on your charcoal drawing, or if you don't want to spend that much, I presume you can just get a transparent sheet of some sort and cover it while scanning, trial and error to ensure no reflection is present in the end result.

If not, taking a photo will do.
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

I'm practicing on my colors. Because I really hate using colors in my art. Maybe I should start using crayons more often. Even if this wasn't done in crayon.
Attachments
Practicing With Colors.jpg
Practicing With Colors.jpg (112.66 KiB) Viewed 13570 times
Mctwisp

How to Draw Everything

Post by Mctwisp »

Hi there. I saw some people who doesn't like the way what they drawing, so I thought I could help
this people with this simple drawing tutorial. And i didn't find the topic what I could post this tutorial,
so could the forum open a subforum for learn to drawing? It could help a lot the people who want to
draw housepets in own way.

Anyway, Let's go back for the tutorial. I did this tutorial to another forum and I want to share with too,
if you don't mind. In the other forum, it's in Portuguese, so I'll try to translate in English for you.

All right, Let's start.

First of all, this tutorial will not turn you like a big professional, but will help you a lot to getting closer in that title.

And many people don't care of it, because it's hard, and it turns ugly, but it's a very wrong way to think, because
it help and a lot when you want to draw a thing for the first time without any idea to how to draw this.

Like a horse. Do you already drew a horse in your life before?

With this tutorial, you can draw until this Magneto right down here:

You are getting excited to know what's the tutorial, aren't you?

But is so simple, you can laugh of it.

The tutorial is... Making a skeleton.

Are you really joking me

calm down people, before arguing, think about it. The skeleton allows you to make the body
structure of his body be sent to the paper.

What are you mean, you ask.

Let me take a Example:

See this image what I will take for a example:

Oh, mygosh! So details! I will NEVER EVER draw this!

Saying that, you never will. Now pay attention.

Look in this image and imagine geometric shapes in the character.

Geometric... Shapes... In the character... ?

That's right. Like, in the head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, knees, heels, foot palms and foot fingers there're a circles. Draw one circle on each part what I quoted.

You are joking me, right?

Draw it!

All right, all right.

Then, the drawing will be something like this:

Now, outline his chest, his abdomen too, do that separately. Do the same thing in his groin, drawing some thing like an underwear.

Like this:

Now outline all the circles outlining his body. While you do it, outline the details too, like the snout, claws, tail, horns, etc.. Like this:

And There's it. Your drawing skeleton.

Yeah, but still looks horrible to me.

Look, I just gave to you a tool. Now the rest is up to you. The skeleton allows you to organize
the structure, the details will be of your own rich experience in drawing.

BUT YOU SAID I COULD DRAW EVERYTHING!

And indeed you can. With this tutorial you can draw any animal, character, person, etc..
You just need to visualize geometric shapes in it.

Like Odorico Paraguaçu in the book Beloved says:
"I gave you the fishing rod and teached you to fishing, now the fish is in your own."

Well, that's all folks. See ya in the next tutorial! o/ =D

Last edited by Mctwisp on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp

Re: How to Draw Everything

Post by 0404 »

I'm really bad at drawing skeleton, it always tense to go cricket. thanks. Such of Nice tutorial!
Last edited by 0404 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

texascat018 wrote:I'm sure that ethier sleet or copper will take down image where rage guy says ' are you ****ing kidding me'.
Right. I will replace the image, all right?

Done. =)

And no welcome. This is what you learn in every basic drawing course.

When I have time, I'll post a shadow tutorial or a character creation tutorial. ;3
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp

Post by 0404 »

Already
And thanks. I really needed shadow tutorial.

Can you give me advise refering to this fanart thay I drew?
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/g ... age_id=213
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

texascat018 wrote: Can you give me advise refering to this fanart thay I drew?
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/g ... age_id=213
Well, if you want to draw like the Rick Griffin drawing anatomy, you should take a drawing reference of his drawings, then use this tutorial.

But to draw like him, you need take experience to draw faces, tails, and many other things.

Every professional in the beginning draw bad. They just don't accept they drawings iare horrible. And you don't have to think this too.
It's only practing, and correcting, and practing, and recorrecting you will draw better.

When earlier you dedicate, earlier you draw better.

now talking about your drawing:

It's good. a few people start drawing in the PC, because is not the same in the traditional drawing. And it's really not the same, but it's better in the sense of precision. In the PC you can see very tiny details with the zoom.

But the problem in your drawing is the sense of dimension and depth.

Don't worry it's easier to fix.

For the sense of dimension, you need to use the skeleton, like the tutorial what I did for this case.

For depth, what you need is drawing shadows. When you want sense of depth in the drawing, you draw shadows.

If the skeleton don't work, use the traditional way: Looking in the mirror.

Yes, it looks silly, but doing the pose what you want, you can draw the right positions about where the head, arms, chest, groin, legs and feets needs to be.

I hope you do not be angry with my critiques, but it's for your good.

When you are the artist, you need to accept the critiques. Because the critiques will help you to point where's the problem.

I'm not saying to accept the people who says "Urgh! Your drawing is horrible! Give up your brat!". They are people troll. People who only do that because they are jealous because they can't draw neither a stick man. Just avoid this people. The people who say what's the problem and give advices for you to Improve your drawing, that's the people who want to help you to be a really professional.

I searched to do it all of this stuff, and look what I can do now:

And I still thinking I'm not good enough. And I'll not give up to keep improving. ;)
Last edited by Mctwisp on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Interesting... i totally missed the basics, maybe from now on i'll better learn those things
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

You're still pretty good Stu.
I have no drawing tallent at all. If you never learned the basics then I can't wait to see how good you will be when you do.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

Post by 0404 »

Thanks. practice it is.
I already said to my self 'urghhh I is so bad in art' few hundreds times, Critiques are always welcome.

And I actualy start from actual paper drawing, then I scan trough scaner to edit on sai paint tool. Which I start with skeleton but not in pc.
I'll focus more on dimesion and depth for now.

Your drawing is epic, your intelegence toward art is skillful. I think there is whole irony where lots of artist say thier art looks bad but truth is not.

I think I should dropdown drawing furry animals and draw soeme real things. I'm trying draw Richard din Anderson right now.
Again thank you for your advise
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

texascat018 wrote:I think there is whole irony where lots of artist say thier art looks bad but truth is not.
I have a friend that is like that. Her drawing skills are some of the best I have ever seen, but she is always like "NO! It looks horrible! I must fix it!"
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

JeffCvt wrote:You're still pretty good Stu.
I have no drawing tallent at all. If you never learned the basics then I can't wait to see how good you will be when you do.
I'm flattered ^^ thanks. Btw sometimes talent means nothing, really. Wanna see this?

I mean, it's creepy Image a lot. I think it's all a matter of patience, passion and training. Once you get used to it, "talent" rises by itself. Everyone can draw, i mean i don't care about drawing something like this

...but i simply draw what i feel to. I learned all i know by myself, looking for other's art, shadows, hands and/or feet (at first really difficult), that thing up there is good compared to what i've done when i began. Thrust me.

What you have to do is to not give up. Use every good moment to free your creativity. I often draw at university, on the desk, during lessons :lol: because i love it so much that i wanted to create something, with graphics too. And i think everyone can do this ;) just try, and try, and try

Those skeleton things are actually really useful to at least keep body references in mind... i think i should use them from now on.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Post by 0404 »

_Stu_ wrote:
do you usualy use a lined paper? I use computer paper for drawing. I'm thinking about getting real sketchbook for drawing.
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

texascat018 wrote:do you usualy use a lined paper? I use computer paper for drawing. I'm thinking about getting real sketchbook for drawing.
When i'm at school yes, because i draw on the copybook i use to note lessons. When i'm at home i use the tablet on PC with manga studio.

My brother have a sketchbook, he's far more skilled and organized than me

Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

_Stu_ wrote: ...but i simply draw what i feel to. I learned all i know by myself, looking for other's art, shadows, hands and/or feet (at first really difficult), that thing up there is good compared to what i've done when i began.
I learn to draw by myself too. =3
_Stu_ wrote: Image
Speaking about this freacking image, look in this Flash how this guy do a landscape.

Speedpainting tutorial
Shyanne

tablet help??

Post by Shyanne »

hrm..i need a lil help..im using photoshop..and tracing/inking with my new tablet..what brush settings do i need to use for smooth looking/thin line art? the two things i traced the brush was kinda edgy..>.> I tried Sai too but there aren't much difference..and I see ppl drawing with such crisp/nice looking line art..what do i have to do to make mine look like that? is that just a certain brush style?
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Heres a fadoody of a request: I need tutorials on EVERYTHING(how to draw furries(heads, bodies, hands(or paws or whatever)tails, ect.) how to draw humans, shading in Corel Painter, coloring, ect.) The reason why I'm making this hefty request is that I have an idea for a webcomic that I want to do, but lack the necessary skills needed to draw it out. And, for the long-term, I want to be an animator, and I want to have artistic skill to do it awsomely. I mean, all I can draw is this:
Though, I must say. This does look pretty good.
Though, I must say. This does look pretty good.
$11B2AA99112FE970.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 13361 times
And so does this.
And so does this.
$6516B4E807CF3744.jpg (28.69 KiB) Viewed 13361 times
And this.
And this.
$C58588409C96DD8.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 13361 times
I know, they look pretty cool, but I want to up my skills and be an awsome artist like Rick and all the other awsome artists on the forums here.
P.S. Sorry that my post is so dang huge.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!