Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Re: Art Thread

Post by DingoVolf »

Oooh, starting with the hard stuff first?
Personally if I can find an excuse to not draw hands and feet, I take it, because those seem the hardest to get right.

Of course there was that one thing that was just a hand and a foot, holding an electric banana, while tiny red dirigibles floated by, but that wasn't furry, it was just... odd.

Hey, speaking of which, here is a very old crayon and pen thing I did long ago while bored and in the vicinity of arting materials:

Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

Very cool and colourful shades man

Yeah, feet and hands are two of the toughest aspects in my opinion. I've tried a bunch of different styles of hands/paws and none of them feel right when it comes to combining everything into a character. As for the loopholes around including them, that's probably why I draw so many characters in profile :D

Will try and upload some of the stuff I've sketched in terms of hands and just characters when I get a chance to photograph it (love the new tablet, but I'm a stickler for tradition - ergo pencil to paper)
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Nice one Dingo, I like coloring on this drawing :)

And about drawing hands and legs, I finished today my drawing, at which I was working with drawing legs. Here is what I've got:

For head I used same sketch as for the previous one drawing, just to have a little less work with it (I'm very lazy :P ). Hands looks awful, but at this I'll work later. Main reason I drew it, was working at legs, because I've always have biggest problem with it. And I think, final result is quite good, there're still things I need to improve and I messed some things, but in general, they looks much better than in my earlier drawings.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Excellent! You are definitely improving, and I hope having fun with drawing in the process. :) I think most people start out just drawing out what they want the final piece to look like, without building it first. This can work with a great deal of practice, but in my opinion developing a great deal of patience and putting the time into figure building will more reliably get you a better looking piece of art.

Something that's helped me recently has actually been watching good artists draw. I don't know about DA or the other places, but FA is absolutely infested with people streaming themselves drawing or making arts. Just like everything else on FA, you need to be mindful what you look at, but a couple PG rated streams I like to catch are from Gen (http://www.furaffinity.net/user/genesisw/) and Cybercat (http://www.furaffinity.net/user/cybercat/).

Both post journals when they stream, both show you exactly how they build the art they do (it takes ALOT of work!), and Cybercat even has some tutorials on ootoob.

Keep at it man, and I look forward to your next piece! :D
Duster

Post by Duster »

MAXWELL.JPG
MAXWELL.JPG (84.7 KiB) Viewed 12831 times
@jopencjusz

Hey I took your advice and did a little drawing myself. It is one of my "mimic" drawings where I basically sit 3 feet away from my screen and draw a random character I see.
First one I have done is Maxwell! It still isn't quite the way I wanna do things but I think if I practice enough i'll be able to come up with my own stuff. You see if I tried this on my own it wouldn't look even half as pretty as it is now.... it'd literally be ears and a mishapen head because at that point I usually give after not being satisfied with it.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!

Post by 0404 »

@Duster sooo cute! Makes me wanna smile! :D

yeah, as we talked about it before, mimic is good way to start.
Duster

Post by Duster »

@ Texascat018 Thanks for the comment, it feels nice to be noticed!

@Jopencjusz We'll figure out this whole drawing thing together my friend. With A few baby steps at first followed by a leap faith into the odd and ever changing art community!! Keep at it man, i've seen some of your work and it's done nothing but improved. Also I like your detail on the foxes legs/feet you definately seem to have gotten that down. I look forward to seeing what you post next.
Last edited by Duster on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
also . . .
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Duster wrote:Maxwell
*ninjatackle*

Should put that in the fan art thread too =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Duster

Post by Duster »

GameCobra wrote:
Duster wrote:Maxwell
*ninjatackle*

Should put that in the fan art thread too =P
Isn't it past your bed-time mister???
lol it's past mine too. I Already did post to the fan gallery, dang man I think i'm obsessed i've just finished a drawing of Fox. I mixed the old artstyle with a wee bit of the new style just to see what would happen. I don't think it looks baad but it's still not perfect! (also it doesn't help that i get OCD when I try to draw)
Last edited by Duster on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
also . . .
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

@Dingo: Having fun always is in the first place for me and this is exactly why I'm drawing ;) I 've never thought about something more, just to do something what I want and I like it. I'm watching some artists from a long time and for sure I could learn something from them. On the same time, I've never watched much streams or read tutorials about drawing, I'm catching most things straight from drawings.

@Duster: It looks really good, for the first try ;) When I was beginning with my drawing, I've also watched lot of pictures and tried to "copy" some parts of it or redrawn characteristic for it elements/parts. You just need to practice and you'll for sure improve ;)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

#1 in a little webcomic-ish thing I'm doing called NULL: a Webcomic.

Let's start the day off right, shall we?
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!

Post by 0404 »

as you can see this drawing is mimic as well, If I didn't have this picture to mimic, it would have looked awful.

and this, I think Maxwell is really good character to draw as a practice character.
this is my very first Housepets related drawing. not really good drawing though.
Duster

Post by Duster »

texascat018 wrote: I think Maxwell is really good character to draw as a practice character.

This is my very first Housepets related drawing. not a really good drawing though.
What're you talking about it looks fine to me. The fact that you drew it from your own stylings tells me that you know what you're doing. Maybe in a little while i'll show you how cruddy i draw from memory, don't get me wrong I feel like i'm improving but i dunno..... practice makes perfect I guess.
also . . .

Post by 0404 »

you know, good artist always say that they are not a good drawer/artist. I think that's a culture of artist. but you shouldn't purposefully just say, "I'm not good at drawing"... ahhh it's confusing. anyway. I can't wait 'till to see your drawing Tex.
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

texascat018 wrote:you know, good artist always say that they are not a good drawer/artist. I think that's a culture of artist. but you shouldn't purposefully just say, "I'm not good at drawing"... ahhh it's confusing. anyway. I can't wait 'till to see your drawing Tex.
Most of the time artists really shouldn't say either way.
Coming out and saying your a good artist can sometimes be viewed as cocky, but it depends on the context. Theres no problem with you telling someone your a good artist so long as your humble about it.
As for coming out and saying your a bad artist, most of the time its just for joking around (like a friend of mine who just draws stick figures who enjoys making fun of himself =P), but if its not in a light tone, it can be taken as either just being depressed about not being as good as they want to be, or just looking like someone who's only trying to get attention.

Me, I try not to sway either way. Sure, If I'm sending in a portfolio or being interviewed for an art job I'll pad my resume a bit (nothing wrong with that), but when I'm talking with friends and other people, I really don't care either way if I'm considered a good artist or not. I just like to draw, and so long as I enjoy drawing, you'll keep seeing me do it. :)
Fino is coming, and he's bringing moon pizza.
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

@ TinFoilHats: Yeah, it's really good way to start your day :P

@ texascat: Mimic is nothing bad, it helps a lot. When I was doing my first drawings, I was always using mimics.

And Maxwell looks pretty good, as for first ever time you draw something in HP! style. Look at my first drawings, which were based on HP! style, it didn't looks better.

Well, I'm not a good artist, so when I'm saying that I'm not good drawer, it's legit? :P

@ TheMobian:
As for coming out and saying your a bad artist, most of the time its just for joking around, but if its not in a light tone, it can be taken as either just being depressed about not being as good as they want to be, or just looking like someone who's only trying to get attention.
Ok, now I'm afraid to ask in which category I am :P It's really confusing, because right now, as I think about it, my notorious comments about how bad I did something or how bad drawer I am, could be understand as if I'm just looking to get attention from others. I need to consider it, because I've never thought about it this way.

FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

jopencjusz wrote:@ TheMobian:
As for coming out and saying your a bad artist, most of the time its just for joking around, but if its not in a light tone, it can be taken as either just being depressed about not being as good as they want to be, or just looking like someone who's only trying to get attention.
Ok, now I'm afraid to ask in which category I am :P It's really confusing, because right now, as I think about it, my notorious comments about how bad I did something or how bad drawer I am, could be understand as if I'm just looking to get attention from others. I need to consider it, because I've never thought about it this way.
It is very confusing indeed :P But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it to much. Just be humble, enjoy drawing, and you won't have anything to worry about.

Every artist needs to understand that there is never a level of perfection to be reached, every artist has room to improve no matter how good they may get. Its how you approach the idea of not being perfect at art that defines whether of not your a good artist. A good artist is one who continues to try and learn and improve, a bad artist is one who refuses to learn and improve, or is impatient in learning what he/she needs to learn. You could have amazing skill in art, and create beautiful pictures, but if your not willing to learn and improve, you can't really be considered a good artist, in comparison, you could be just a sketcher, who's only just picking up drawing, but has a strong will to learn and improve, and get better through hard work. That is a good artist, and as far as I can see, your definitely a good artist.
Keep up the good work bud!
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

That's very interesting and a little unexpected for me interpretation of being good/bad artist, but you have a point at improving/learning part. This is definitely important thing and you could use it to define artists. Thanks, for your explanation ;)

Duster

Post by Duster »

So I decided to share with y'all my latest scratching's to see whats, what.
Hopefully the pic sizes aren't too big i'm still working on figuring out how to resize stuff to fit on the internet.
I'm pretty much open to comments and suggestions so if you have anything you want to share then go right on ahead.
Attachments
This is what I did after drawing Joey's head. Surprisingly these took me less than 2 mins to finish.
This is what I did after drawing Joey's head. Surprisingly these took me less than 2 mins to finish.
Duster's pics 005.JPG (239.13 KiB) Viewed 12716 times
I wanted to draw something else to practice getting heads/shapes looking right, so i decided to draw Joey. It took me a while to draw and color his head approx 15-20 min.
I wanted to draw something else to practice getting heads/shapes looking right, so i decided to draw Joey. It took me a while to draw and color his head approx 15-20 min.
Duster's pics 002.JPG (215.33 KiB) Viewed 12716 times
also . . .
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

It looks cool Duster, keep it up buddy and for sure you'll improve :)

Ok, now it's time for my newest drawing:

I've got request and this is effect of it. As for the first time drawing bear's head it looks in general ok, but I messed up with the "blue hair" part. Well, I'll need to work how draw this type stuff to looks better.

Duster

Post by Duster »

@Jopencjusz I like the bears head, it's symmetrical and has a dark brown that makes it look great. I really think you're starting to get the hang of this, just keep on keeping on and you'll get into the swing of things!
also . . .

Post by 0404 »

Duster wrote:So I decided to share with y'all my latest scratching's to see whats, what.
Hopefully the pic sizes aren't too big i'm still working on figuring out how to resize stuff to fit on the internet.
I'm pretty much open to comments and suggestions so if you have anything you want to share then go right on ahead.
question, may I hug Joey?
how do you start out with your drawing? do you give a basic shape/structure then draw over it? and next time try to draw it on plain paper instead of lose leaf.
other than that, Kawai, meaning cute! I love it.
Duster

Post by Duster »

texascat018 wrote:
Duster wrote:So I decided to share with y'all my latest scratching's to see whats, what.
how do you start out with your drawing? do you give a basic shape/structure then draw over it? and next time try to draw it on plain paper instead of lose leaf.
I'm VERY analytical! I just sit in my chair or on my bed and find a pic that I want to draw.
I don't trace because that would require having a hard copy to draw over (also I don't have a working printer).
As to how I start off, to be honest I try to find an area to start (usually the ears/head).
Once I feel confortable where I started I try to analyze whatever it is i'm drawing to make sure i'm not distorting the pic in anyway.
Rinse and repeat/ or erase as i'm prone to doing and eventually when i'm satisfied *voila* i'm finished.
Afterwards I tweek and color the pic, and when i'm fairly happy with it I share it ~ cuz sharin' is carin'~!
Anyways thats pretty much what I do in an eggshell.
Now you got me kinda curious, why do ask?

Oh P.S. OK i'll try it out on plain paper. You see what happened is when I first started drawing I basically grabbed the first thing I saw and started drawing.
P.P.S. Plus i'm Lay-z !
also . . .
FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

texascat018 wrote:
Thats a very good question, as I had the same problem for a very long time with drawing. allow me to elaborate using these pictures...
(I'm going to use sonic as an example here because 1: Most of my payed art jobs involve drawing sonic so I know him well, and 2: Because its easy to find pictures of him on google)

#1: I always start with a basic structure. Often when your just drawing one character, its easy to just sketch him out any way you want and build the background in around him, but when your drawing a cover or a picture with multiple characters on it, then you really have to think about where on the page your positioning the character(s). The best way to do this is with a base. Just simply draw lines and circles to show where you want the character to be, what position you want him to be posing in, and what way you want him to be facing. This is also a really great time to work on your autonomy, and make sure that all the character's proportions are in check (one of the most important things to note are the crosses on Sonic's chest and head, these are very important because we will be using them as a reference point on how to construct his facial expressions a,d body movement).

#2: Once this is done, you move onto the basic sketch. Essentially, this is where you add in the more major details that define the character, such as sonic's spines, facial features, and shoes. This is also the point in the picture when you really have to consider the perspective of the viewer, or "camera" if you will. In this particular picture, we are looking up at Sonic, so the lower half of his body is going to be closer to us then the bottom half. In these cases you want to draw those parts of his body that are nearer to the viewer bigger, to give the effect of Sonic looking like he's in 3D, as opposed to plat on a page. I could get more into perspective, but that is something that you pick up over time. For now lets just focus on drawing the character.

#3: Once you've finished with the major details, its time to go back and finish everything. this is where you add in the smaller details, such as the folds in the socks, the detailes on the shoes, and the fingers on the gloves (This particular artist also shaded everything, but I don't advise that). Once your happy with the picture, be sure to erase all your unwanted construction lines, such as the crosses on Sonic's head and chest, and any other stray lines. Look over it again one more time to be sure you haven't missed anything... and voila, Sonic the Hedgehog. :D

This is the way most professionals construct their characters and drawings. And although this is a drawing of sonic, it pretty much works the same way with most other characters. There are however many different types of bases to work from, so be sure to check out a few of the other methods used to find one that suites your liking.

Well, thats my overboard tutorial, hopefully someone found that helpful XD

btw texascat018, I really like your art style, its very unique :) Keep up the good work!
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

@Duster: Thank you very much :)

To be honest, I have very similar "technique". I'm starting with top of head, to adjust right size of the whole drawing, later I'm adding ears and finish whole head shape. At this moment I'm adding other things, like eyes, nose, muzzle, etc.

Duster

Post by Duster »

@ Jopencjusz@texascat018 It is just as TheMobian says if you want to draw an anatomically correct character one of the best ways is to draw a frame and proceed to fill in the rest of the scetch.
I just haven't so far because i've been drawing with a #2 pencil, which does not erase well or have a good eraser. I do not recommend drawing like I do since the process of drawing for me is probably longer than it should be, also i'm afraid #2 pencil has its limits. My point is try practicing with drawing frames for characters and studying their general anatomy and eventually your art style should become much more organized!
P.S. maybe i'll try drawing a character using this method, well we'll see.

@TheMobian What kind of pen/pencil/paper do you use when you draw?
also . . .
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Heh, I'm also using #2 pencil :P I don't care much about this type things, such as paper or pencil. I'm not going to try sell it to museum and also it's not something, that will bring me money, I'm just doing it for fun and eventually, to prove something myself (learn to draw something new, etc.) ;)

Duster

Post by Duster »

jopencjusz wrote:Heh, I'm also using #2 pencil :P I don't care much about this type things, such as paper or pencil. I'm not going to try sell it to museum and also it's not something, that will bring me money, I'm just doing it for fun and eventually, to prove something to myself (learn to draw something new, etc.) ;)
Hmm..yes, you do have a point there, but i'm just kinda curious is all.
also . . .
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

It is interesting, indeed ;)

DingoVolf

Post by DingoVolf »

Art materials the cheap/easy way - #2 pencil, sharpener, big eraser, paper from a laser printer, black pen, whatever crayons/colored pencils/whatever is available to color with. Keep your penciling light, try not to smudge things with dirty/wet/greasy hands, let the ink dry before erasing your pencil work, and above all experiment and have fun. :)

A little step up, try the Mirado Black Warrior #2B. A little softer and more easily removed. Can also try kneaded rubber erasers or eraser sticks. Wife and I always liked Pentalic Paper for pens because of it's ruggedness and smoothness (great for applying colored pencils to). An upgrade to the pens would be something like the Sakura Micron Pigma pens, in varrying nib sizes (or try the brush one for some fun/challenge).

By-the-by, EVERYONE - very awesome to see you guys being creative and making arts! TheMobian made a right kick-butt illustration there about figure building, and I know it can be work, but I definitely suggest you guys give that method a try.

Keep it up, I love seeing what you folks are coming up with!
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

DingoVolf wrote:Art materials the cheap/easy way - #2 pencil, sharpener, big eraser, paper from a laser printer, black pen, whatever crayons/colored pencils/whatever is available to color with. Keep your penciling light, try not to smudge things with dirty/wet/greasy hands, let the ink dry before erasing your pencil work, and above all experiment and have fun. :)
And that's exactly what I'm using XD

And we need to keep up with this drawing, cause I see that this Art Thread is not as active, as it used to be some time ago ;)

Duster

Post by Duster »

OK Jopencjusz if you're up to the challenge then i'll keep at it as well! Let us see if we can breathe a little life back into this Media thread. Also here's my rendition of Fox drooling.
Here is my drawing of Fox that i did a few nights ago
Here is my drawing of Fox that i did a few nights ago
Duster's pics 001.JPG (95.78 KiB) Viewed 12623 times
For some reason I seem to have a harder time drawing canine heads as opposed to cat's heads. Not sure why, but this was not my purtiest drawing ever. Hopefully with practice it won't be such an issue in the future.

@texascat018 i'm gonna go ahead and post whats left of my loose-leaf sketches before I make the transition to plain paper and see i'll what happens after that.
@Dingovolf Thanks for the tips man I currently use more or less the same materials as Mr. jopencjusz here but i'll keep what you said in mind in case I ever start getting more in-depth.

Once again thank you guys for the support!!
also . . .
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

It looks good Duster ;) The main difference between canine and cat head is that cat's have shorter muzzle. Also canine's head shape is in general more "straight", while cat's head shape is more "round".

Post by 0404 »

whoooha, I missed a lot. I on exam mode, so I can't really participate an art party and reply all the questions, sorry.
Keep up the good work Duster. He looks amazing, body looks good, his face expression, I love it!11 You seem to have good comical art style of drawing.

Thanks Mobian!

OMG OMG !!!

My Friend GunRacer Drew me a really rweely awesome picture for me, I'm Mr.Mundy! Thank you GunRacer!
Duster

Post by Duster »

texascat018 wrote:whoooha, I missed a lot. I on exam mode, so I can't really participate an art party and reply all the questions, sorry.
Keep up the good work Duster. He looks amazing, body looks good, his face expression, I love it!11 You seem to have good comical art style of drawing.
See what happens when your gone for a day. By all means take your time and pass your classes, when you find some spare time we'll be here. Though i'm still kind of interested to see how you draw! Like TheMobian mentioned you do have unique style of drawing. Don't be a stranger texascat018!
also . . .
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Good luck with exams Tex ;)

BTW, Duster, it's not Mr. Jopencjusz, just Jopencjusz or Jopen, to make it shorter and easier to pronounce ;) I'm feeling old enough without this prefix :P And we don't need to be so formal, it's forum :P

And this is side effect of boredom strike:

FritzyBeat

Post by FritzyBeat »

Duster wrote:@TheMobian What kind of pen/pencil/paper do you use when you draw?
When it comes to paper, I use whatever is available. Professional comic paper is often hard to come by, and when you can find it its really expensive.

I usually sketch out my drawings with a standard HB or HB2 pencil. I'm an okay inker, but Inking pens are expensive, and I often can't afford to buy them all the time. To solve this, I take anywhere from a B1 to a B3 heavy pencil and draw final pencils with it as it is so dark, it can often pass for inks (when done cleanly).

For example, this picture I drew with just a standard light HB Pencil:
(it was a Bumbleking secret santa gift for an artist on DA called Chibi-Jen-Hen)

This one I over -lined with a standard HB2 Pencil (like the kind you might use for school):
(This was for another one of those "redesign my character" contests... which I won btw :D well... everybody kinda won... but oh well =P)

And this picture was sketched out just as the others were, but then outlined in a think B2 professional art pencil:
(this picture in particular though I outlined rather roughly to give it a more rugged feel. It was a picture for an OCT that I'm watching)
Duster

Post by Duster »

Thanks for the tip TheMobian, after I get comfortable drawing I may consider using something other than a #2 pencil.

@Jopencjusz Ok Jopen can do! I recently finished another drawing of Joey that i'm pretty happy with. It's only his head but I after a few tries, I finally drew one that suprised me.
Here it is guys!
Here it is guys!
Duster's pics 001 (2).JPG (77.08 KiB) Viewed 15754 times
So what do y'all think?
also . . .
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

Looks good, I think that if you'll keep it up, you'll soon improve ;)

Post by 0404 »

@Duster
looks good, the shape details, all good! though his eyes can get some improvement.

I still have exam but I can't stay alerted for straight 2 weeks for the exam. so I just decided to draw yesterday and today.
Duster wrote:
texascat018 wrote:whoooha, I missed a lot. I on exam mode, so I can't really participate an art party and reply all the questions, sorry.
See what happens when your gone for a day. By all means take your time and pass your classes, when you find some spare time we'll be here. Though i'm still kind of interested to see how you draw! Like TheMobian mentioned you do have unique style of drawing. Don't be a stranger texascat018!
I'm more than just passing man! and Call me Walker! Walker Texascat,

be hold!

I promised my friend to draw an Avatar,fursona what so ever for him.

This is what he had Image
and I had to convert it in to my own style.

these are the progresses I went over.

First on a paper
https://picasaweb.google.com/1172727898 ... 47u-iqDhZw

-I started off with basic shapes but maily focused on drawing the head.
-twitched some body shapes
-I don't like this head, erase it!
-let's get the head shape right...
-that looks better
-now body position changes
-more details give im a tshrits, and my cat is sleeping on my table.
-nope, nice suit will go better
-it was hard to draw his left arm, IDK why
-Second last picture is my Eye reference sheet, type of eyes to refer to when I'm having trouble with drawing one. and I'm not good at drawing eyes.
-The last picture on the album is my scanner, oh yeah, and my cowboy hat and AirCadet (force) hat. I scanned my drawing in to computer to edit.

Second link: on my computer
https://picasaweb.google.com/1172727898 ... -M66ytPlOQ

-draw over the original copy on Sai tool, I found the head being too big, so I shrunk it down.
-now color im, according to the reference.
-color the nice lookin' suit
-blue eyes
-draw a bar table? thing? I never went to a bar, how am I suppose to know?
-color the background
-nahhh I don't like that table thing. erase it..
soooooo......
Da result!

3-4 hours spent.
5 musics played
4 King of the hill episodes played

so what do you think?
anything that I'm missing?

Edit.

I forgot so much things...
Last edited by 0404 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.