Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Megamaster

Re: Art Thread

Post by Megamaster »

Duster wrote:Not bad, not bad at all Megamaster. And you drew them on sketchbook paper too! I can't seem to draw on anything but notebook paper.
Thanks. I used to draw on notebook paper too but people kept telling me to get a sketchbook.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Dissension wrote:Laxan is female.

Oh my. No offense intended. Either way epic work still =)

Oh and Magamaster, Awesome work. I wish I could use color pencils like that.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Tatsuo wrote:

Oh and Magamaster, Awesome work. I wish I could use color pencils like that.
Thanks. Here's something more recent. (like a week ago)
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

that Keene?
should probably point you to the fan art thread, then
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:that Keene?
should probably point you to the fan art thread, then
Sorry about that. That was supposed to be this.
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Really loving that style you're rocking Megamaster: The ones of Kaltag and Star look spot on! (I loved Balto as a kid, and still do). The only thing I could suggest is trying to get hold of some outlining pens, fine line drawing pens. That would really make your cartoony style pop with the black outline and also make it easier to see through a photo. Other than that, you could be working at Disney in a few years. ;)
Tatsuo wrote:

^Don't worry about it, I'm getting used to being mistaken for a guy. Being a gamer, a bit violent, a tomyboy and gay kinda gives everyone the automatic image that I'm a guy, so it's cool. xD

Also: BOOP!
I REALLY want to practice this style more^ so if anyone wants a pic (doesn't need to be an art trade but they're always welcome) just let me know with a pm or something. ^_^

[WARNING: BLOOD]:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/ ... 6acht4.jpg
'Cata acceptio obscuro mea ténebris ego fio totum' ~ Laxan Tanax Enore
'I made ​​all my dark morning by the acceptance of the dark'
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Laxan wrote:The only thing I could suggest is trying to get hold of some outlining pens, fine line drawing pens. That would really make your cartoony style pop with the black outline and also make it easier to see through a photo.
I use these. Both very in what you want. I'm currently trying out the marker, and I like it. Though you have more control and less errors when using the Primacolor.
http://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-Penci ... B003JJTIMK
http://www.amazon.com/Zig-Memory-System ... lum+writer

Edit: You can get these cheaper at a local art store. Just saying.
Laxan wrote:^Don't worry about it, I'm getting used to being mistaken for a guy. Being a gamer, a bit violent, a tomyboy and gay kinda gives everyone the automatic image that I'm a guy, so it's cool. xD
Right on. You sound cool to me. Also nice pic(s) by the way. If only I could get anatomy down=(

By the way, what kind of tablet do you use?
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Tatsuo wrote:
Laxan wrote:^Don't worry about it, I'm getting used to being mistaken for a guy. Being a gamer, a bit violent, a tomyboy and gay kinda gives everyone the automatic image that I'm a guy, so it's cool. xD
Right on. You sound cool to me. Also nice pic(s) by the way. If only I could get anatomy down=(
By the way, what kind of tablet do you use?
I used to suck at anatomy, it wasn't until I started Uni and we did life drawing classes, and even though drawing a naked guy is the bane of my existence, it reeeaaaally helped with my anatomy, another good one is PoseManiac. http://www.posemaniacs.com/ With this you can see the muscle structure underneath and it help A LOT with learning that, also on how to get fluid poses. I'm still learning a lot myself, and I'm not very good, but I'm getting there.

Also, I have 5 tablets, 3 A4 and 2 of: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wacom-CTL-470K- ... B005OPKVNM
I like my 2 smaller ones the best though.
But it's all up to personal opinion, the larger tablets make it hard to draw smooth lines but the fluidity of drawing with such a large space makes it more natural to someone used to working with A3 paper and/or easel were it's mostly movements of the elbow rather than the wrist, though the smaller Tablets I find have better pen pressure. If money is an issue you can get a reasonably good Bamboo for £40 (my Bamboo was £40).

Oh hey it actually looks like I know what I'm talking about! Yay experience!
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Well funny enough I was looking at either getting Bamboo Create or a Bamboo Capture:
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Crea ... B005HGBF9W
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Bamboo-Capt ... B005HGBEZ2
And from what I heard is that when drawing with a smaller tablet, yes you get smoother lines, but when drawing extensively say 3-5 hours, some people begin to have problems with writs pains. I like the idea of having more space, but never have used a tablet before, I really can't say what I like.

Thanks for the link for the anatomy. I'll check it out. I also have a book on anatomy by, Christopher Hart, but one thing I'm still puzzled on is; what do you do with the anomaly that you're studying? Do you draw the muscles as seen or do you study them and press on trying to use what you've studied in you're sketches? Does that make since? Basically, if you had an anatomy picture in front of you, what do you do with it? Sounds silly I know :oops:
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Tatsuo wrote:Thanks for the link for the anatomy. I'll check it out. I also have a book on anatomy by, Christopher Hart, but one thing I'm still puzzled on is; what do you do with the anomaly that you're studying? Do you draw the muscles as seen or do you study them and press on trying to use what you've studied in you're sketches? Does that make since? Basically, if you had an anatomy picture in front of you, what do you do with it? Sounds silly I know :oops:
I had the same problem when I first started studying anatomy, I was just copying the structure rather than learning it, two completely different things. What you need to do is study the structure, I'll try to explain it the best I can:

When you look at a picture for anatomy and need to compare it to a pose you want to draw you need to look at how the muscles move and flex on the bone and how they form the shape of the body. So if you look at an anatomy reference picture and see the muscle bulges like this and flexes like this and curves like this you need to then translate that to your drawing, eventually you'll start to remember how the muscles and skeleton moves together and you'll realise you remember 'okay so this muscle moves here, this bends like this, ect.' and eventually you'll need a reference less and less.

I'm still learning myself and I haven't quiet gotten the grips of it yet but I've improve a hell of a lot.
2010 before studying anatomy:
2013 after studying anatomy:
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Looking good, Lax!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Ah ok. So use em as a reference. That makes sense. Hmm, I'll have to try that out.
Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

I'm just gonna leave this here...
*runs away*
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

Kouri wrote:I'm just gonna leave this here...
*runs away*
Hey come back here and take my compliment!
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

Arbitrary wrote:
Kouri wrote:I'm just gonna leave this here...
*runs away*
Hey come back here and take my compliment!
*walks back slowly with cautious optimism*
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Nice Kouri. Charcoal?

Also:
A commission I did:
And My new Housepets OC:
Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

Laxan wrote:Nice Kouri. Charcoal?
Thanks! And yeah, it is. I took an art class at my university earlier this year and my professor was practically in love with the stuff so we used it in almost everything. This was one of my sketchbook assignments. It's really good for shading and details and I can see why he likes it, but I kinda wished he would've taught us a little more than just value, like color or more specifically anatomy and form.

It looks like you've got that down pretty good though. You do nice work, Laxan! :)
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Kouri wrote:Thanks! And yeah, it is. I took an art class at my university earlier this year and my professor was practically in love with the stuff so we used it in almost everything. This was one of my sketchbook assignments. It's really good for shading and details and I can see why he likes it, but I kinda wished he would've taught us a little more than just value, like color or more specifically anatomy and form.

It looks like you've got that down pretty good though. You do nice work, Laxan! :)

Epic work, both of you. Kouri I know the feeling. Back in middle school I took some art classes, but all my teacher wanted to do was paint. Paint paint paint. "Teacher can we draw or learn something different"? "No we Paint"!

Kinda why I stop doing any art for awhile there.
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Luckily I didn't have the pains of you two in our visual studies class. We got to draw a life model from the skeleton up! He would pose and we would have to draw his basic skeleton, the muscle structure, the naked body then add our design clothes for him to make a story for the pose he was in and add props. Was so much fun and really helps how I construct a drawing today! I would suggest this method to you guys if you want to get better at characters (I'm not great myself but this helped me so much you have no idea). If you want to try this method trying doing it on a photograph! On deviant art there are hundreds of people who do stock photos for this kinda thing ( This is my favorite: http://senshistock.deviantart.com/ she also links a bunch of her favorite ones of people with all kinds of looks and body shapes so if you're looking for something specific you could find it easily by looking through them )
I hope this helps you guys! Also I'm sorry if I seem like I'm getting up on my high horse or something by being all "YOU SHOULD DO THIS CAUSE I AM AWESOME AND THAT'S WHAT I DO" I really don't mean it like that at all, I still have A LOT to learn and I'm not very good, all I'm saying is that's what helped me and what we did in Art class in University and since you guy didn't get the drawing side down much in class I thought sharing what I learned might help? Sorry if that makes no sense I just really wanna help and my teacher is great! He was the lead art director on Star Wars Battlefront [and Star Wars Battlefront II but he left near the end and someone else took over and got their name in the credits] He's call Dean Betton, http://darkangeldtb.deviantart.com/ It's where I learnt my 3D modelling too.

[WOW THIS WAS LONG better post some art too...
Image]
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Laxan wrote:I hope this helps you guys! Also I'm sorry if I seem like I'm getting up on my high horse or something by being all "YOU SHOULD DO THIS CAUSE I AM AWESOME AND THAT'S WHAT I DO" I really don't mean it like that at all, I still have A LOT to learn and I'm not very good, all I'm saying is that's what helped me and what we did in Art class in University and since you guy didn't get the drawing side down much in class I thought sharing what I learned might help?

Hey don't worry Laxan, you're not coming off that way, at least to me. Hey if I had as much art as you do, I'd show it all off and spread it around as much as I could.

Here's quick question since we're on the the subject: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wooden-artist-model

What do you think about the Wooden Model "Things". I've seen them at local stores, but didn't really know if I should pick one up.
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Tatsuo wrote: Here's quick question since we're on the the subject: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wooden-artist-model

What do you think about the Wooden Model "Things". I've seen them at local stores, but didn't really know if I should pick one up.[/color]
I had one and never found it too useful. Unless you really fork out a LOT of money you can't get one that moves like a real human can, so the poses are often stiff and unrealistic, I guess they're okay but you don't really get a sense of muscle movement either with them, the body changes shape when it bends, tenses and flexes, something the Wooden models don't do. Mine ended up just being a toy my friends would bend into childish positions for giggles. Eventually I took it off the spoke, carved a creepy smile into it and hung it with barbed wire off my desk light like a creepy puppet. Then my friends tried to play with it again and it broke. So yeah, in my opinion a real puppet is better, try convincing one of your friends/parents/partner/sibling to pose and take photos, or you can pose and get them to take photos. That way you get the exact pose you want and even the expression you want. We do this all the time for each other in class, we take photos of each other for references, even professional concept artists sometimes do if for a complex pose they can't get their head around.
Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

^ I agree with all the things Laxan just said. I bought one myself, and it's not all that helpful. I fiddle with it a little from time to time, but it always feels kinda stiff and it never seems like I can get the right pose. I guess there's some use if you want to try drawing from different perspectives, but its still pretty limited. There's better options out there.

Oh, and since I just checked it out, thank you Laxan for sharing that senshistock link! I think I'm going to find it very useful ;)
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Kouri wrote:Oh, and since I just checked it out, thank you Laxan for sharing that senshistock link! I think I'm going to find it very useful ;)
Glad you found it useful... I think... WHY THE CREEPY WINK FACES!?
Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

Laxan wrote: Glad you found it useful... I think... WHY THE CREEPY WINK FACES!?
Oh you know... ;) just reasons... ;)
Nah, I'm just kidding :lol:
It just looks like a really good reference for poses. Lots of fun and dynamic stuff for me to practice with. To my sketchbook!
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Ah you're both right*slaps self on back of head*. Forgot you still need to take anatomy into consideration. Looking at that one link you gave, I Will use. 72 pages of poses good grief. I can see how some of them could make some people uncomfortable, but you have to look at it with maturity and realize it's just a pose. Gota be able to draw both man and woman being as extreme as possible. That's just me though =)
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

VVVV
Last edited by Laxan on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Laxan wrote:How do you think I feel? In class we had to draw a naked male model hoola-hooping at one point. o___o

Another Rp oc character I've designed a big motherly Newfoundland. Her name is Bear Bailey (Bear because she's huge and Bailey cause Pearl Bailey is the voice actor of Big Mama from Fox & the hound whom this character is partially based off). But she usually get Big Mama or Mama Bear.
She's a big motherly figure and very intelligent at that, but she's getting old (About middle-age). She's extremely loving and friendly (but no one messes with her 'cubs'... Her Cubs are pretty much ANY other pet; cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, rodents, ferrets, she treats them and loves them all like her children).

I just wanted to create a fun character that could be a fun motherly figure that'll be really awesome to interact with.
What you guys think?
Testing out some poses with my Housepets Oc Radar. It's just some doodles of her; Tracking, Shooting and being silly.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Yup, loving those poses :3

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Be nice :oops: Finally got my tablet in today. I know it looks like poop, but I figured I'd post this up and share it with you guys. All I did was trace. Trying to get the hang of this thing.

Edit: I also now have a new respect for all digi tablet users, This is freaking hard!=P

Kouri
Banner Artist

Post by Kouri »

I've always wondered about those drawing tablets, but never really looked into them for some reason. Are they expensive?

Oh, and it still looks good by the way. :) I can only imagine how hard it is to go from looking at just your paper to looking at one screen and drawing on another...
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Kouri wrote:I've always wondered about those drawing tablets, but never really looked into them for some reason. Are they expensive?

Oh, and it still looks good by the way. :) I can only imagine how hard it is to go from looking at just your paper to looking at one screen and drawing on another...

I broke down and got a Wacom Bamboo Create. Epic Tablet. It's going for about $150 U.S bucks on amazon which ain't bad at all. If that's to much the Bamboo Capture is the same tablet, just made smaller. I still don't know if I like having the more room or not, but being able to zoom in and out shouldn't make the size you get a big deal. My opinion though is I rather have to much/ to big of a tablet then to small. Is that because I'm a guy? =P

And thank you for the compliment. All I'm doing right now digital wise is getting my line work down. Once muscle memory kicks in, I should have a lot better time using this. But yes it is very disconnecting going from paper to screen. They say it takes about a week or so to really get the rhythm down. Oh and let me add, if you do decide to get one of these, either splurge for the wireless option, or get a usb extension cable. The one they give ya is short, around 3ft. So if you're like me and using a 46in screen tv for your monitor, you're gona want a longer wire :P . Also I'll add, this was my second face I ever drew. Traditional I mean.

Also wanted to add this while I'm here. I needed this way back when I was first starting: http://ctrlpaint.com/. I think it's awesome. Go to the Video Library and there's over 100vids to help teach the foundation needed to draw. I'll be putting down my new tablet for a bit to learn the basics that I've really needed.
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

If you want a cheap tablet to start with, no they're like $40. If you want to get a more expensive one down the line it's like from $40 to $1500+
Also, NICE Tatsuo. Looking good. What program did you use for that? I think a more sketchy style would look better for that kind of pic.
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Laxan wrote:If you want a cheap tablet to start with, no they're like $40. If you want to get a more expensive one down the line it's like from $40 to $1500+
Also, NICE Tatsuo. Looking good. What program did you use for that? I think a more sketchy style would look better for that kind of pic.

I highly recommend Wacom for whatever tablet you get though. Some can be had for very cheap.
Thanks Laxan. I used Illustrator for this and that is one thing why I like Illustrator over Photoshop is because of vector graphics. Of course only Vector programs are more only for line art and design. Photoshop comes into play for when you want to paint, shadow, ect. That's just me though. I'm still very new to digital art so my opinion can always change.

Edit: Basically if I ever wanted to change the size of an image that I've made, I can in Illustrator. Only the lines though, unless you also paint in Ill. Just an option I like having in my back pocket just in case I mess something up IE. want to make my image bigger.
Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

Laxan wrote:If you want a cheap tablet to start with, no they're like $40. If you want to get a more expensive one down the line it's like from $40 to $1500+
I'd have to agree with you there. I don't draw much, but got very interested in digital art and wanted a tablet and was able to find a decent cheap on for like $40. It works just fine and I would recommend just getting a cheap one if you are just getting into digital art to see how you really like it. Unless of course you have that kind of money to spend. ^^
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

Here's an early version (or sketch) of a little project of mine. (I'm going to draw it as a digital picture later)
"Nice to meet you" with Rico and Frederick Fox :) (some original characters of mine)
It's a project for my studies so I'm happy about any suggestions: Is there anything I should change or add on these characters? :)

Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Hukley
Banner Artist

Post by Hukley »

First: I'm really sorry for the double post :( (but I thought just an edit would't be noticed :oops: )
Hukley wrote:Here's an early version (or sketch) of a little project of mine. (I'm going to draw it as a digital picture later)
I finished the digital version now:

As said, it's a project for my studies so I would appreciate any sort of constructive criticism.
The project is a picture-book for children.
What is good? What should be changed?

Thank you very much in advance! :)
Awesome Avatar-Animation by GeckoZY! :D
Simon & Freddy has its own Webpage now: http://www.simonandfreddy.com/
My webcomic: (Updates on Saturdays)
ImageImage
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

I like! Looks good. Cute cartoony style.
Duster

Post by Duster »

So I was doodling tonight and I thought I'd show y'all what I drew. This one is supposed to be of Joey, I like to practice using his character. I have a couple more worth noting, but I probably won't post them unless people like this one. Anyway, this was kinda my interpretation of Joey spacing out a little.
image.jpg
image.jpg (239.62 KiB) Viewed 11841 times
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I like it! Joey is one of my faves. :3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

They look great guys. Both of you are on your way.