Art Thread

For talking about images, videos, and all that other bandwidth-killing stuff. Put ALL your media-related stuff that is not similarly Housepets-related here: Stories etc.

Moderator: ArcWolf

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Re: Art Thread

Post by Buckdida »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Buckdida wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:It's alright, but I liked your old style better.
... you do realize that's an outright insult to his current piece of art, yes? Or a backhanded compliment at the least.

Offer some constructive criticism. Why don't you like this as much? Is there something you think he could improve? Any other experiments he can try? All you're doing right now is serving to deflate his motivation to try new things. Trying new things is very, very important for artists to improve and to stay motivated- to not get bored with their work.

Same even goes for if you DO like a piece, mind. Say what you like, what you notice, where you think the effort was put, and what you think could be improved.

At the very least, a comment on a piece can be for humor, or to create a discussion.

But that comment? Please tell me, what does your comment add AT ALL? I'm sorry to go off on a rant like that, but this just irked me.
I'm sorry if he takes it that way, It was not my intention. As I said, it's alright. It's actually pretty good, about on the same level as his other pieces. It's just a matter of taste that I preferred his old style, nothing specific. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this. Yes it can be improved, but so can his older works because there's always room for improvement. I don't have an artistic enough eye to discern exactly what I like about his old style or exactly where he can improve. If I could, I definitely would. My mom's an artist, and I know to tell her exactly where she could improve or if I don't think it's up to her standards.
This was fully up to Nick's standards, I just happen to prefer the old style.
Soooo... did your comment add anything? You failed to answer that. You also failed at first to say *why* you preferred his old style. If you like it because it's a matter of taste, then say that. Otherwise, the artist is left thinking, "Huh, well, why?" Intentions or no, your comment was at the very least, still a backhanded compliment.

For a bit of opinion in response to yours, I feel that artists use feedback mainly for future drawings, not as much to refine ones that they've already finished. Occasionally artists "redux" old pieces to see how they've improved. Revisions happen occasionally, but I think that's usually more for commission works where the costumer requests something, or pieces where the artist forget something and want to quickly add it in- or, of course, revising during the sketch stage (okay, maybe revisions do happen often. Just not as often on finished works). I also feel you don't need an "artistic eye" to be able to say "I like x because y" or "I dislike a because b." I'd like to think every bit helps, even if it's simple observations!
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

On the topic of Nick's New Art Style, I guess I as well fall under the category of liking his old one more. I guess it may be because I enjoy art that looks nice with a lack of much detail. I also can not really give a suggestion because art is just something people's opinions guide the worth of.

This is not meant to dis-motivate you or anything, just the opinion I hold. ^^;
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Yeah, I know my comment could have been much more constructive, but at least I didn't say "it sucks" without explaining myself. I said "It's not bad" without explaining myself.

also, is this a finished work? it still has those red sketch lines. and who knows, maybe those are throwing off my sense of how good it is. Maybe I'd like it more without those. His other style looks goof even when he leaves in the red lines, maybe this style just doesn't work right when they're left in.

actually, looking at it again, squinting to the point where the red lines disappear, it does look better. i still prefer the old style as a matter of taste, but this is good.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Yeah, I know my comment could have been much more constructive, but at least I didn't say "it sucks" without explaining myself. I said "It's not bad" without explaining myself.

also, is this a finished work? it still has those red sketch lines. and who knows, maybe those are throwing off my sense of how good it is. Maybe I'd like it more without those. His other style looks goof even when he leaves in the red lines, maybe this style just doesn't work right when they're left in.

actually, looking at it again, squinting to the point where the red lines disappear, it does look better. i still prefer the old style as a matter of taste, but this is good.
A comment that's better than "really bad" can still be "bad," which makes it little better. And it was still a backhanded compliment, which is less than favorable, even if you didn't mean it. You should keep that in mind before saying something, next time. Be more clear, at the least.

Aaaaanyway. Nick! I like the new style and experiment. It's good to see a compromise between the old style that's yours and trying out new styles. It makes it look like yours while trying out new things. It's interesting to see how you added in a rounder head style while still keeping some of the boxey style we're used to seeing (seen in the glasses, eyes, chin and clothing). It's a good compromise, and I'd love to see more practice of it.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

what
how is that at all backhanded

He clearly said
"This is good, but here is why I don't like it, and it would be better if you did this"
That's plenty constructive I just don't

how
bwah bwah
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

he was still referring to the initial comment I think.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Right, this one
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:It's alright, but I liked your old style better.
You said
1) you didn't like this one
2) what he can do to make it better (be more like his old style)
and as a bonus, 3) you said that you still like this one, it's just not as good as you know he can be, in your opinion

That criticism is entirely constructive.
I really just don't see what Buck's issue is.

It could have been more constructive, but it's nothing to get up about
bwah bwah
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

The point is Nick is trying to go with a new style, not like his old one, so he does not want to have it more like the old one. I don't think Brent meant what you have for your 1st and 2nd point.

However, I do not know why what he said is bad. He voiced his opinion, and not all things written about art needs to be constructive. Just say what you feel.
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

Guys.... I don't feel offended or discouraged in any way from Brent's comment at all. He just seems to have more appeal to my main style, t'is all. And I see Flint prefers my old style as well. Plus, it's not like I'm gonna move to a new style permanently. My aim is to get as many styles and be flexible as possible. Hence why I want to get 'rid' of my old style 'cause I'm too attached to it. And probably something I really enjoy with.

Other than that, I appreciate the comments and thoughts about it at least~ I honestly didn't think this would happen though.. = A=.. Also, Brent's comment was just preference. Sure, it doesn't help me how to improve but it helps me know what people enjoy seeing from me.
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

wow I haven't been on here in like forever! o.O Sorry for the absence!
Attachments
0 026.png
0 026.png (252.79 KiB) Viewed 15009 times
0 039.png
0 039.png (112.31 KiB) Viewed 15009 times
0 040.png
0 040.png (129.47 KiB) Viewed 15009 times
Shirosune

Post by Shirosune »

...meh, okay I don't usually do this sort of thing, but I finally sketched something I'm at least semi-happy with so I figured I might as well. It's pretty rough but it's the best I've ever managed, I might actually line and possibly color it digitally later...don't really know though, haven't decided yet.
Attachments
shirosmall.png
shirosmall.png (123.37 KiB) Viewed 14967 times
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

@Nick's drawing: Goodness. o_o That looks.. interesting. Good nonetheless. It's quite the sort of balance between realism and that sort of anime-style of yours. It takes a sort of getting used to but I quite like it. xD How'd animal people look mimicking this style as much as it can?

@Tiggy's silverdeni requrest: Wow! That looks awesome. Ten bucks for that? That's just crazy. o_o Either my past commisioners have been mad expensive or this artist is extremely cheap. x3 Someone's got to make a wallpaper with that drawing!

@Nick style argument: Good greif. Such a fuss over that guy stating he obviously objectively had preference for nick's old style over the new?? Madness.

@TV Head drawing: Is that person running windows? x3
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
QRS3000

Post by QRS3000 »

http://www.ratemydrawings.com/drawings/ ... 63861.html
This is just another drawing from me. I realized after I had saved my drawing that I forgot to finish the left shoulder. Hopefully, it doesn't look too bad.
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Don't worry QRS3K, stumpy looks fine.
Sent from my conifer.
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

Made another doodle and I used a reference for the pose 'cause I'm unable to make my own. ; AAA;

Last edited by NickCole on Mon May 07, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

looks awesome. ^_^
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

NickCole wrote:Made another doodle and I used a reference for the pose 'cause I'm unable to make my own. ; AAA;

(too much pro to be in my posts)
LOOKS LIKE YOU OUT PRO'D YOURSELF, NICK!
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

Post by 0404 »

nice drawing there NickCole

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

cute drawing, tc
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

D'awwww, that's cute~ ; w;

Post by 0404 »

thanks ya'll
may I ask you for assistance Nick? I'm having hard time with drawing a fold on cloth.
I know practice is the only way of getting better, but I think little bit of knowledge would help.
how do I draw a fold and shadow on cloth?
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

Uhm...not sure how I can help but there are like TONS of references on the net. I just found a couple on tumblr like these two:

http://tairupanda.tumblr.com/post/13779 ... tslearnart
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0wqa ... o1_500.jpg

Sorry if I couldn't be of much help. D:
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

I ran into the IRC a couple days ago, and i decided I'd draw someone. House piped up and said he wanted his character drawn, so i did. the image itself is way too large for the forums, so I'll just have to direct you to the DA page.

Odd to think that three or four years after being introduced to the fandom, this is only my first or second "Furry" drawing.

what what? Jolly good time.

Post by 0404 »

why you no working?

Post by 0404 »

some tf2 drawings
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I don't play TF2 but I like the jaw the doctor has going on there.
Sleet wrote:So at the zoo yesterday I came up with the idea of a ridiculous species: the giraffin.
Sleet wrote:It's a half giraffe, half eagle.
Griffons don't have ears but this isn't a griffon so ha.
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

thank you, Pea.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Pea, that is magnificent.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That is exactly how I imagined it. <3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

You pulled off that pose well Nick.

And I love your style Pea, looks awesome.

This is a new style I screwed around with:
'Cata acceptio obscuro mea ténebris ego fio totum' ~ Laxan Tanax Enore
'I made ​​all my dark morning by the acceptance of the dark'
Shyanne

Post by Shyanne »

finally figured out how to get the lineart to look good :)
Attachments
0.png
0.png (86.77 KiB) Viewed 14563 times
0 079.png
0 079.png (89.43 KiB) Viewed 14563 times
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Shyanne wrote:finally figured out how to get the lineart to look good :)

*insert instant-diabetes*
That... diabetes... inducing art style... it warms the hearts of all who see it... and kills them with it's sugary sweet looks. QwQ
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Ooh I like the colors on that second one, especially the little orange ring around the face, it's a nice highlight

Because The Drowsy Chaperone, man
Yes this is an entirely silly and far too sequin-y outfit for a pilot, that's the point because the show is in large part a parody of musical theatre, especially its tendency to be flashy and unrealistic
But yeah meet Trix, she's an aviatrix, queen of the skies
Image Image

Post by 0404 »

any advice?
CY_Law

Post by CY_Law »

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

oh wow, law. that is amazing!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

texascat018 wrote:any advice?
I feel like it's harder to critique a rough sketch. You done a few fundamentals here which are done well. Could you improve? Yes. But where? Well, it's hard to tell because it's still a rough sketch. I don't know where you were going with it. There's less for me to see and critique. The work itself is at a stage where I feel like you could critique it better than I could. :?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Well golly I haven't posted anything here in a while.

clauwns
bwah bwah

Post by 0404 »

Obbl wrote:
texascat018 wrote:any advice?
I feel like it's harder to critique a rough sketch. You done a few fundamentals here which are done well. Could you improve? Yes. But where? Well, it's hard to tell because it's still a rough sketch. I don't know where you were going with it. There's less for me to see and critique. The work itself is at a stage where I feel like you could critique it better than I could. :?
k I see what you mean. So I need real cool stuff like CY_Law's.

just a fact, I create the map in somesort of game tool then draw it in to drawings, so that I can see it in three dimension then put in in to 2-D drawings.

and nice drawing there Psykeout.
Laxan

Post by Laxan »

Wow Law that looks awesome, I love the crystals.
Monkey Boy:
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/8017361/
'Cata acceptio obscuro mea ténebris ego fio totum' ~ Laxan Tanax Enore
'I made ​​all my dark morning by the acceptance of the dark'