ATTENTION ALL TRANSLATORS!

Because there are many

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

copper
Puppy Wrangler

ATTENTION ALL TRANSLATORS!

Post by copper »

It has come to our attention that some translators are subverting forum rules by speaking in another language. Some is an unintentional lax, some is intentional. This needs to stop. Any discussion not directly involved in translating a strip or arc MUST NOW BE IN ENGLISH. This is an English speaking forum at its heart and although we understand that being able to speak in your native tongue can be freeing, it also means that some might forget that this is still a part of the Housepets! Forum, and follows the same rules. We appreciate all of the help and all of the initiative in your translation projects, and hope sincerely that they continue and that you all enjoy your forum experience.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
rodrigo

Re: ATTENTION ALL TRANSLATORS!

Post by rodrigo »

It occurs to me that we could create a facebook site for which we can not speak English, as I have way to participate in the forum.
(I am using google translator to write this)
Gren

Post by Gren »

Shytzo wrote:
Duster wrote:I wholehartedly support this notion, but where are we going to find a bilingual moderator? Any suggestions?
At least one of the guys in the respective thread must speak english and his/her main language (or the translation couldn't be possible :lol:)
They could moderate the thread and, in case that someone breaks the rules...that guy could talk with one of the global moderators. Anyway if there is something that stands here, is that all of us (in the hispanic thread) talk in a very "diplomatic and respectfull" way between us so i don't see it to much necessary
The problem Shytzo is that it's necessary people and moderators use the same language so they can be able to moderate them.
However, that doesn't stop the off-topic, but what really worries me (as I said before) is that there's people who aren't capable to speak in English and that is unfair for them for not being able to express themselves when they want to do it. It would be great if they can have a little section where they can express freely whatever they want to say. Find a moderator is not a problem because I think there's a lot of us capable for the job, but if I would be able to nominate one, I would choose Obbl, because he is a native English speaker who seems to know a lot of Spanish and has been here in the forum for a long time, so it's for sure he have much more confidence from the moderators and Rick himself (but of course I don't know if he would like the task XD).
ImageImage
rodrigo

Post by rodrigo »

Do not worry Gren. I agree with your opinion with social networks, but are very useful for things like college.
It takes patience and a solution will appear.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

The problem with having a bilingual mod is that no one will know every language being put up here, and to make a special case for spanish speakers would be a bit unfair. Yes, Spanish is a very common language that is very widespread, but so are many other languages. Heck, the most spoken language in the world is actually Chinese....
My characters
Gren

Post by Gren »

Yeah, I suppose you have right, It would be a bit unfair if this only were applied for spanish speakers. But then I have to ask: It would be a problem if they want to create some sort of blog, facebook page, forum or whatever in order to express themselves in their own language?
ImageImage
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

To be honest, there were two ideas we had involving the fan translations. The one implemented made the most sense, for the reasons I explained already, so no need to sum up again.

The other idea was to appoint unofficial helpers in each thread. Sort of like the GMs in the Role Playing forums. This idea has it's merits, since you could all speak your languages and feel free to converse, and we would have either someone fluent or a native speaker to keep everyone in check and report to us, but there are also problems to this idea. Some translations have only one main translator, some are abandoned and could not have one, there are sometimes translator rivalries that could cloud judgement, and some appointed might become lax in keeping the rules up. For these reasons and others, we decided to just do away with non english speaking not having to do with the translations themselves.

As for your question, that is something to PM Rick about, but I do not see a huge problem with it myself. Rick would have final word though, and he does tend to answer PMs fairly quickly.
My characters
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

No worries. I agree with you.
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Dreamingcat

Post by Dreamingcat »

no worries for Chinese I guess, since most of the Chinese readers prefer discussing about the comic outside this forum
english-phobia for them perhaps :P