Housepsts IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)

Because there are many

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Philip-Soh

Housepsts IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)

Post by Philip-Soh »

Hello! I'm Philip Soh. I'm First Korean Translator of Housepets.

My assistant (Friend) ArchEvil Has a better idea for the World Translation project. It's about IPA. International Phonetic Alphabet.
He trying to solve it with IPA that to decrease mistranslations and to establish proper noun standards.
ArchEvil Tell me about IPA need in Housepets Translation, and I Made This IPA Topic in His Permission.

This way means, We write English spelling with phonetic alphabet below, for decrease pronunciation mistranslation with non-native speakers.
This is Not only for me, For World Peoples. For decrease pronunciation mistranslation by phonetic alphabet.

1. What is IPA?

The International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) is an alphabetic system of phonetic notation based primarily on the Latin alphabet. It was devised by the International Phonetic Association as a standardized representation of the sounds of oral language. The IPA is used by foreign language students and teachers, linguists, Speech-Language Pathologists, singers, actors, lexicographers, constructed language creators, and translators.

The IPA is designed to represent only those qualities of speech that are distinctive in oral language: phonemes, intonation, and the separation of words and syllables.To represent additional qualities of speech such as tooth gnashing, lisping, and sounds made with a cleft palate, an extended set of symbols called the Extensions to the IPA may be used.

IPA symbols are composed of one or more elements of two basic types, letters and diacritics. For example, the sound of the English letter ⟨t⟩ may be transcribed in IPA with a single letter, [t], or with a letter plus diacritics, [t̺ʰ], depending on how precise one wishes to be. Often, slashes are used to signal broad or phonemic transcription; thus, /t/ is less specific than, and could refer to, either [t̺ʰ] or [t] depending on the context and language.

Occasionally letters or diacritics are added, removed, or modified by the International Phonetic Association. As of the most recent change in 2005, there are 107 letters, 52 diacritics, and four prosodic marks in the IPA. These are shown in the current IPA chart, posted below in this article and at the website of the IPA.

Reference : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA

2. For Example

Peanut Butter Sandwich
[ˈpiːˌnʌt ˈbʌɾ.ɚ ˈsændwɪʧ]

Korean speaks : 피너트 버터 샌드위치 [pʰinʌtʰɯ b˳ ʌtʰʌ sɛndɯ.yʨʰi]

Grape Jelly Sandwich
[ɡɹeɪp ʤɛl.i ˈsændwɪʧ]

Korean speaks : 그레이프 젤리 샌드위치 [ɡ˚ ɾeipʰɯ ʥ˳ elʎi sɛndɯ.yʨʰi]

Bino
[baɪnoʊ]

Korean speaks : 비노 [b˳ ino]

3. This IPA Forum are establish and supervision by ArchEviL

I'm Always Thanks to Him! This IPA Parts are Idea and achievement of him.
He right Some Housepets Character's Name to IPA.

His Blog and Page Link
- http://blog.naver.com/straine
- http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ArchEviL
- http://acevil.deviantart.com/

I'll Upload All IPA about Characters Soon.
Last edited by Philip-Soh on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Not Copycat and Not Bad-Second!
My Korean Translation Topic is Not duplication!
I was Translate Housepets to Korean since 2008.

Korean Translation in my Blog - Here
Korean Translation in Forum - Here
DeviantArt Account - Here
FurAffinity Account - Here
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: Housepsts IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)

Post by Obbl »

How strictly are you keeping to the IPA here?
I notice you using the long vowel maker and the syllable markers (inconsistently) - which suggests you're really attempting to describe the pronunciation in detail - but then you are using a lot of the phonemic values rather than the phonetic values.

For example: the 'p' in "pin" and "spin" are pronounced differently (phonetic value), but in English we think of them as the same sound (phonemic value).
In Korean: the two ᄀ in 가게 are each pronounced differently (phonetic value), but I'm pretty sure you think of them as the same sound (phonemic value).

A better way to describe phonemic is: even though the two phonetic values are different, if we swapped them it wouldn't change the meaning of the word. [pʰɪn] and [spɪn] are considered normal or "correct" pronunciations, but [pɪn] and [spʰɪn] (though perhaps odd sounding) do not automatically become new words because we don't distinguish between the two sounds. Though, note, in Korean swapping these particular sounds does change the meaning of the word.
Philip-Soh

Post by Philip-Soh »

Oh, I'm Sorry. OBBL. If This Topic trouble to You and Many Housepets Fans and Translators, Let me apologize.
I'll indicate my stance Soon.
Last edited by Philip-Soh on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Philip-Soh

Post by Philip-Soh »

Obbl wrote:How strictly are you keeping to the IPA here?
I notice you using the long vowel maker and the syllable markers (inconsistently) - which suggests you're really attempting to describe the pronunciation in detail - but then you are using a lot of the phonemic values rather than the phonetic values.

For example: the 'p' in "pin" and "spin" are pronounced differently (phonetic value), but in English we think of them as the same sound (phonemic value).
In Korean: the two ᄀ in 가게 are each pronounced differently (phonetic value), but I'm pretty sure you think of them as the same sound (phonemic value).

A better way to describe phonemic is: even though the two phonetic values are different, if we swapped them it wouldn't change the meaning of the word. [pʰɪn] and [spɪn] are considered normal or "correct" pronunciations, but [pɪn] and [spʰɪn] (though perhaps odd sounding) do not automatically become new words because we don't distinguish between the two sounds. Though, note, in Korean swapping these particular sounds does change the meaning of the word.
Thanks you, Obbl. You're right clearly.
I'll think your advice and effort to follow your advice.

However, IPA usage is not compulsion but suggestion.
This way should aim any translator take better work, in their language.
It's not coercion law. it doesn't nitpick at too elaborate pronunciation.

In fact, IPA is professional part what bothering me. but it must be helped Translator, Not damage to Translator.
It works not compulsion but suggestion, for solving differences of serveral translations with proper nouns what cause confusion and mistranslation.

Finally, it's not hindrance but assistance.

If This Topic trouble to You and Many Housepets Fans and Translators, Let me apologize.
But This is for Help to Many Translators. And Korean speaks marking is didn't mean unfavorable sense.
If I have a Mistake, I'm Very Sorry. Don't be mad about that. No offense.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I'm not upset. I'm actually not entirely sure what you are suggesting. You mentioned having IPA for proper nouns to decrease possibilities for mistranslation by foreign speakers, so I guess writing out the character names in IPA. What I don't understand is: are you suggesting that all translators put up the IPA for their own translation (if they want to do so), or will we be combining them here, or is it something else?

I am a big fan of languages and pronunciation, so this definitely appeals to me. It just seemed odd that you had several of the more precise IPA diacritics (indicating a high level of attention to accuracy), yet several of the actual sounds are phonemic. My mind says, "Ehhhh???" :|

I am willing to help in any way. :D

Last bumped by Philip-Soh on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:44 am.