Malay/Bahasa Melayu translation

Because there are many

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

kurowolfe

Malay/Bahasa Melayu translation

Post by kurowolfe »

Hi everyone!
I'm kurowolfe (at least in this forum), and I've been reading Housepets for a week now XD.

When I stumbled across this forum, the Translation Projects sub-forum caught my interest. Languages have always fascinated me, and it's always interesting to read the comic in another language.

Then, I thought, why don't I translate the comic into my own language and let everyone see? Malay (or Bahasa Melayu as most of Malaysians called it) is not really that popular in the internet, and I really wanted to showcase my language to the world.

So, here it is: The Housepets comic strips in Malay!

I hope to update this project at least two times a week, hopefully, and eventually catch up with the latest issue, if I can maintain my workspeed.

Do note that I am using the general colloquial Malay, that you would most probably hear when you listen to Malaysians speaking among themselves, discounting the difference in dialects and mannerism among the 14 states in Malaysia.

I would like to use proper Bahasa Melayu to translate this, but in terms of grammatical structure, it is one of the hardest ones to remember and practice, in my opinion. The resulting translation would also be twice as long as the ones I've done now, so yeah...

If there's any mistake that I've made or any suggestions that you guys would like to make, just tell me; I'm happy to receive any comments from you guys.

Also, if you have any questions to ask regarding the Malay language, you can ask me too! I'm not a total expert in Malay, but I'll be glad to assist anyone with it!

So, that's about it. Hope you guys like it! =3

The Early Comics
001.jpg
001.jpg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 36017 times
002.jpg
002.jpg (86.16 KiB) Viewed 36017 times
003.jpg
003.jpg (190.81 KiB) Viewed 36017 times

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
kurowolfe

Re: Malay/Bahasa Melayu translation

Post by kurowolfe »

Story Arc 1: Imaginate!
Cereka Bab 1: Bayangkan!

Last edited by kurowolfe on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I've never seen such prolific use of the schwa sound before. :lol: And there are a lot of affixes in this language!
I know next to nothing about Bahasa Melayu, but it has a nice sound to it, and I think I'm getting the hang of the pronunciation. :D Thank you for bringing one of the less seen languages to Housepets!
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Obbl wrote:I've never seen such prolific use of the schwa sound before. :lol: And there are a lot of affixes in this language!
I know next to nothing about Bahasa Melayu, but it has a nice sound to it, and I think I'm getting the hang of the pronunciation. :D Thank you for bringing one of the less seen languages to Housepets!
Haha, I don't even know what schwa is until you mentioned it. But yeah, there are certainly a lot of them in Bahasa Melayu!

About the affixes, I think there are three types of them in Bahasa Melayu: prefix, suffix, and prefix-suffix pair. And there are different forms for different spellings of the base word, so you can imagine the nightmare of remembering all of them in school :?

There is one suffix, however, that I feel obliged to explain: "-lah", which actually doesn't mean anything by itself, but it has a lot of function, like affirmation, softening a harsh sentence, invitation, opposition etc etc. It all depends on the situation and intonation, similar to Japanese. It is also usually one of the ways you can tell if an English-speaking person is a Malaysian, because they have this tendency to end their sentences with "-lah"; eg: "You're joking-lah!" , "No-lah" , "Can-lah".
Even I myself have this tendency. ;)

Anyway, I'm glad you like them! :D

On that note, here's the second arc translated!

Story Arc 2: The Game
Cereka Bab 2: Permainan itu

Grape's and Bino's sentences here are a bit hard to translate, because some of the concept words like metagame becomes a very long word like 'permainan dalam permainan' or 'game in game' in Malay.

And The Game is even getting to me :shock:
Last edited by kurowolfe on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

No class again today, and I'm bored. So...

One-offs #1
Komik sepintas lalu #1

Last edited by kurowolfe on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

My luck must be good this week, today's classes are also cancelled. :D
So, another arc translated. Only this time I'll be using the refur version by Kyderra (I've only found the thread today), and I'm using a more similar font to what Rick is using now.

Story Arc 3: Cat Tail
Cereka Bab 3: Ekor Kucing

Translator's note: I have to confess, the usage of the word 'ia' in the first panel here is grammatically wrong, because 'ia' is actually a third-person pronoun that means 'him' or 'her'. But, there is no grammatically correct equivalent word for the word 'it' and people here has always accepted 'ia' to mean 'it'. So that is what I'm using.

Translator's note: Another confession. When you refer to the sex of animals, you are supposed to use the words 'jantan' (male) and 'betina' (female). But I always find those terms to be a bit derogatory, and Housepets is an anthro comic (I think...) so I used the human terms instead. 'Lelaki' for male and 'Perempuan' / 'Wanita' for female.

Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Story Arc 4: The Raccoons
Cereka Bab 4 : Rakun

One-offs #2
Komik Sepintas Lalu #2

Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Story Arc 5: The Adventures of Spot
Cereka Bab 5: Pengembaraan Spot

Story Arc 6: Fido's Return
Cereka Bab 6: Kembalinya Fido

Translation note: I've only realized that the acronym for "Kelab Anjing Tersohor" is KAT. Oh, the irony...

Translation note: Marvin's fur colour in the original file seemed a bit off, even in the shade. So, I just simply
recolour him completely.

I'll continue with rest later next week.
Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Okay, here's the second part of the arc.

Story Arc 6: Fido's Return
Cereka Bab 6: Kembalinya Fido

Translator's note:There's a lot that I need to clarify here...
a) In the second panel, I don't really understand what Fido means by 'raincheck', so I'd used the words 'lain kalilah', which literally means 'maybe next time', what I can sort of make out here.
b) The three cheers that they did in the last two panels are exclusively English, so I'd relegated and used 'Hidup Fido!' which is a common cheer among Malays here that basically means 'Viva Fido!'.
c) In the final panel, the Jolly Good Fellow cheer is also an English exclusive, and I don't have anything that is similar to the spirit of the cheer, so I instead use 'Tuhan selamatkan kamu!', a modified version of a song that Malays in the 60's used as an equivalent to the Happy Birthday song. It literally means 'God save you!'.

Translator's note: Malaysians, like the Japanese, can use more special terms as pronouns to refer to someone. In here, Fido calls Sabrina 'sayang', which means 'honey' in place of 'you', since, well, they ARE a couple ;)

I just love the ending of this arc! <3
Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Short update with a short arc! =3

Story Arc 7: Mouse Mouse Revolution
Cereka Bab 7: Revolusi Tikus-Tikus

Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Another short arc, with a small bonus! =3

Story Arc 8: Thematic Arc of Questionable Quality
Cereka Bab 8: Arca Bertema Dengan Kualiti Yang Boleh Dipersoalkan

Translators Note: This strip was one of the most fun ones to do, I think. I was looking for an equivalent for the ode style in terms of spirit and lightheartedness, and in the end, I choose to represent the ode as a pantun, a simple rhythmic poem style dating back to the 15th century. There are several subtypes, but in this strip, I'd use the Pantun Dua Kerat or 'Two-Lines Pantun'.

If you wanna know how a pantun is recited in its true style, you can check this video. The school girls are each reciting a pantun to introduce themselves in the competition.

And, about the small bonus.... I've also had a go at Peanut's pantun and recorded it! Just hope you can bear with my voice and the subpar quality XD : Pantun Kucing Tidur recitation

Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Erm, I've been neglecting this project for quite a while now, so now back to business, with a few more! =3

Story Arc 9: The Zoo
Cereka Bab 9: Zoo

Translator's note:
In a previous strip, I'd mentioned that I'll be using the terms 'lelaki' and 'perempuan' or 'wanita' to mean male and female for animals. But in this case, since the description of the Bengal Tiger is presumably written by a human, I've used the proper terms, 'jantan' and 'betina'. This is only temporary, though ;)

Translator's note:
1) Since the recoloured version is not yet available, I thought I'd give it a shot, but as you can see, it isn't pretty, and it took so long to do. :?
2) Even the translation's a bit sketchy here. Since the kangaroos are speaking with an Australian accent, I wanted to use one of the Malay accents for them. As I come from from the state of Sabah, and the way Sabahans speak Malay is quite unique by itself, I'd tried doing that. But, the words doesn't sound right at all! So, if there're any Sabahans reading this strip, saya betul-betul minta ampun dengan kamurang :(
3) One word I do feel compelled to mention here is the word 'moginum', a word from the Kadazan language that means 'drinking beer'.

I'll continue with the rest later this week, and I'll most probably be using the B&W version if the colour version is not available. Until then, jumpa lagi~
Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Starting from this update, I'll be writing some note in Malay so that any of those whose not sure about some references made here can understand them better. You're not really missing much though. =3

OK, here's the second part of the arc!
OK, ini dia bahagian kedua cerita ini!

Story Arc 9: The Zoo
Cereka Bab 9: Zoo

Nota penterjemah:
"Thus Grape Zarathustra" ini sebenarnya merujuk kepada sebuah buku falsafah yang bertajuk "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" karya Friedrich Nietzsche. Isi kandungan buku ini banyak merangkumi idea-idea yang bercanggah dengan ajaran am agama pada masa itu, seperti asal-usul manusia, seperti yang Grape perdebatkan sini.

Nota penterjemah:
Saya pun baru tahu yang 'aviary' dalam bahasa Melayu ialah lau, ataupun sangkar burung.

One-offs #3
Komik Sepintas Lalu #3

Story Arc 9: The Zoo (continued)
Cereka Bab 9: Zoo (bersambung)

Nota penterjemah:
Musang yang aktif ini ialah Karishad, sumber inspirasi artis komik ini.

Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

It's been a while.

One-Offs #4
Komik Sepintas Lalu #4

Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Next arc

Story Arc 10: The Grove
Cereka Bab 10: Dusun

Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Ooo, first appearance of Pete! Nice~
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Another one-off and a part of the next arc.

One-offs #5
Komik Sepintas Lalu #5

Story Arc 11: Housepets Christmas
Cereka Bab 11: Hari Krismas 'Housepets'

Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Continuation of the arc.

Story Arc 11: Housepets Christmas (continued)
Cereka Bab 11: Hari Krismas 'Housepets'(sambungan)

Translator's note:
It's hard to find an equivalent Malay term for 'Yarn Ball' in the first panel, so I settled with 'Malam Tarian Lembar', with 'Lembar' being the Malay counter word for long things like strings and yarn.

Saya tak pasti macam mana nak terjemahkan 'Yarn Ball' dalam panel pertama strip komik ini, jadi akhirnya pilih 'Malam Tarian Lembar', sebab lembar itu penjodoh bilangan bagi tali dan benang.

Translator's note:
I chose not to translate the song, since the song itself is originally written in English. The title of the song is "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year", sung by Andy Williams in 1963.

Saya tidak akan terjemahkan lagu dalam strip komik ini, sebab lagu ini asalnya dalam bahasa Inggeris. Tajuk lagu ini ialah "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year", dipopularkan oleh Andy Williams pada tahun 1963.

Huh, finally reached another milestone, getting to the coloured version era of the series.
Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Congrats! Keep up the good work buddy! :D
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Thanks, copper! Though I doubt anyone else is reading this, so it's mostly for me to practise translating English to Malay. Heh :P

Short next arc!

Story Arc 12: The Yarn Ball
Cereka Bab 12: Malam Tarian Lembar

Translator's note:
I did not translate the names of songs mentioned here, including the strip titile; just doesn't seem right.

Saya tak terjemahkan tajuk-tajuk lagu dalam strip ini, termasuklah tajuknya, sebab rasa macam tak sesuai.

Translator's note:
In the second panel, I'm not sure what to translate 'nipping' to and not exceed the PG rating, so I chose "mengunyah", or chewing, since cats do chew catnip. In the world of Housepets, nipping on catnip is deemed equivalent to getting drunk. (Is this okay to say here?)

Dalam panel kedua, perkataan 'nipping' diterjemahkan kepada "mengunyah", dimana kucing akan mengunyah daun kucing galak. Di dalam dunia Housepets, mengunyah daun kucing galak boleh disama-ertikan dengan menjadi mabuk.

I want to give a shoutout and thank another fellow translator, Dreamingcat, for his/her help on the nuances of translations from the English language.
Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Another short arc.

Story Arc 13: The Further Adventures of Spot
Cereka Bab 13: Pengembaraan Spot yang Selanjutnya

Translator's note:
Just in case it isn't clear, "penggantungan babak" is "cliffhanger", and "pertandaan" is "foreshadowing". Both words are not commonly used in a typical Malay conversation...

I both love and dread the Spot comics, because all that photoshopping to cover up the words with the exercise book lines. Add the dilemma of choosing, then modifying a font to suit the spirit of Peanut's handwritting, and you have a very tough job.
Last edited by kurowolfe on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

A small announcement, I was just informed that the file hosting service that I've been using will start deleting inactive files, so I'm moving everything I've uploaded to imageshack. At the same time, I am also redoing some of the old translations to make them sound better, so expect some changes.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Finally finished re-uploading the previous strips. Now onward to the next arc!

Story Arc 14: The Vet
Cereka Bab 14: Doktor Veterinari

One-offs #6
Komik Sepintas Lalu #6

Translator's note:
The small cards are not translated, since it was intended to be English Valentine's cards, and the puns wouldn't translate well.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Story Arc 15: A Mouse Named Spo
Cereka Bab 15: Tikus Bernama Spo

Alt-text:Jangan-jangan ada Emeril* kecil di dalam tu

Translator's Notes: Emeril here refers to Emeril Lagasse, an American celebrity chef. One of his most famous catchphrases is "Bam!"

Nota Penterjemah: Emeril di sini merujuk kepada Emeril Lagasse, seorang chef selebriti Amerika. Salah satu ungkapan penarik beliau ialah "Bam!"

Alt-text:Nak teka tak mana satu pendapat yang betul? ITU SOALAN CEPUMAS, SEMUANYA TAK MASUK AKAL

Alt-text:Bakul tu akan ada kad di dalamnya, dan atas kad tu akan ada tertulis ' Saya perasan yang bulu awak dah makin pudar, awak mungkin perlukan lebih banyak protein'

Alt-text:Seperti yang aku katakan tadi, mak beri kami makan keju SETIAP MASA. Keju tu dia akan barbeku, rebus, panggang, bakar, saute. Ada uh, kebab keju, 'creole' keju, 'gumbo' keju. Ditumis, digoreng, digoreng dalam kuali. Ada keju cheddar, keju mozarela, keju 'pepper jack', sup keju, rendidih keju, salad keju, keju dan kentang, burger keju, sandwich keju. Itu--itu sajalah

Alt-text:Apa, mentang-mentanglah dia takda dalam cerita ni sejak Hari Krismas, awak ingat dia takkan buat apa-apa sampai sekarang lah?

Alt-text:. . . sub-haiwan peliharaan? Entahlah

Alt-text: Bill belum jumpa helmet yang boleh tutup dagu macho dia

Alt-text: Spo ni sebenarnya nak berDIRI sama tinggi dengan seseorang

Alt-text: Jangan risau, syif ni cuma 12 jam saja
Last edited by kurowolfe on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Uploaded the rest of the arc, but I accidentally deleted the previous comics while doing so. Hence I re-edited the links... again. =w=