Spanish translation

Because there are many

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Liam

Re: Spanish translation

Post by Liam »

Erdnuss Butter Sandwich/Klappstulle(if you're a purist)

Weintraube Wackelpudding

Definitely not an option. On the other hand the names shouldn't get Bowdlerized, e.g. naming Peanut Enrico in the italian translation or something. The original ones fit the best.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Hi, just noticed this. Haven't finsished reading through it yet, but thought the following translation needed some constructive criticism (sorry if it's been done already)
Lopiko wrote:Image
  • I've only seen "Hay que intenetarlo" as the result of translation. It literally translates back as "It has to be attempted". I suggest going for the literal translation of "Let's try": "Intentemos"
  • There really is no joke with "rebelan" (they rebel) and something that's revolting. I suggest doing something with a tense of "Revuelta" (rebellion) that is more similar to a tense of "revolcar" (to wallow), adjusting the peasant's argument accordingly. Maybe it would be enough clarify it using a subtitle or alt-text? (For instance, "¡Ay no, perdón! ¡No se rebelan, se revuelcan!")
  • The original ("Let there be rain") is lampooned from the bible's "Let there be light". This is most often translated as "Hágase la luz", and should therefore be "Hágase la lluvia" for it to work. (Of course, if your bible is a more modern translation, it most likely will say "let's have" (que haya) instead of "let there be", or something of the sort, but you lose the intentionally archaic feel)
    However, it could still work your way, if you're lampooning the olympic's "Let the game begin" (que comience el juego), but, of course, you'd need to use "que comience la lluvia" instead of "que haya lluvia"
Posted and edited by Frank on 12 Jan 2010, 12:52
Last edited by Frank on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oh, you could continue these translations if you know Spanish, since Lopiko got tired of us. He doesn't visit the forum anymore.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Frank

Post by Frank »

Alex wrote:Oh, you could continue these translations if you know Spanish, since Lopiko got tired of us. He doesn't visit the forum anymore.
Aww, that's too bad. Though, to be fair, everyone else kept trying to push for some other language, which I'm guessing resulted in the creation of the Translation Projects subforum, and his tiring.

Where did he stop?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Alex

Post by Alex »

This is the last comic he did:

And he left before the creation of the Translations subforum.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Profesor Rod

Post by Profesor Rod »

I'm up for the challenge. I love this comic enough to give it some of my time.

Just let me fix my broken PC, install PS, get the fonts and check if it is okay to use the Project ReFur for the translation.

As for the translation itself, I'll try to make it with neutral Spanish (no regionalisms, or hispanic-latinoamerican bias) while keeping the puns. It's not going to be easy... Sería muy bueno que se hagan las sugerencias de traducción/adaptación antes de empezar a componer la imágen. ¿Alguien mas se apunta?

Pet Friendly Chars
Rody S1 P4 E4 C7 I9 A5 L7
Moon S4 P8 E3 C9 I8 A6 L4
[/size]
Blaya

Post by Blaya »

Profesor Rod wrote:I'm up for the challenge. I love this comic enough to give it some of my time.

Just let me fix my broken PC, install PS, get the fonts and check if it is okay to use the Project ReFur for the translation.

As for the translation itself, I'll try to make it with neutral Spanish (no regionalisms, or hispanic-latinoamerican bias) while keeping the puns. It's not going to be easy... Sería muy bueno que se hagan las sugerencias de traducción/adaptación antes de empezar a componer la imágen. ¿Alguien mas se apunta?
I would be glad for to help how I can ^^
Foldo

Post by Foldo »

Profesor Rod wrote:I'm up for the challenge. I love this comic enough to give it some of my time.

You can translate too with Inkscape (the best) or The Gimp (not easy but "like" PS). Personnaly, I use Inkscape.
The main font is Webletterer, but the free version is uncomplete. The pro version is complete but paying (20 USD).
Aaand it's okay for the Project Refur, since Valerio use already it for Italian translation. 8-)

Good luck!
valerio

Post by valerio »

I really hope to see your work. :D :D
Profesor Rod

Post by Profesor Rod »

I've used Inkscape for vector and for its amazing resizing, but it's not good for rasterized small work in my opinion. GIMP is acceptable but the brushes and effects are limited.

And thanks for the name of the font. I'll have to seek for a similar font in the family, because the spanish translation has accented vowels, "ñ" and opening exclamation and question marks :?

¡Gracias!

Pet Friendly Chars
[/size]
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Profesor Rod wrote: if it is okay to use the Project ReFur for the translation.
I am alway happy to see the community use them. Image
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
valerio

Post by valerio »

my pleasure and honor. Keep up with it!
Profesor Rod

Post by Profesor Rod »

Thank you Valerio. I hope to not dissapoint. Update will not be regular, depending on the difficulty on pun's translation, picture's text needing an edit and of course college obligations.

A new topic will be open when I can get this going, with the script translated and open for suggestions :3
Kyderra wrote:
Profesor Rod wrote: if it is okay to use the Project ReFur for the translation.
I am alway happy to see the community use them. Image
It's great to have your blessing :D

Pet Friendly Chars
[/size]
valerio

Post by valerio »

Thank you Valerio. I hope to not dissapoint. Update will not be regular, depending on the difficulty on pun's translation, picture's text needing an edit and of course college obligations.
Speaking from experience, using GIMP a translation doesn't take more than 10-12 minutes. A tad more if there are difficult puns and/or lots of bold text.
Foldo

Post by Foldo »

Profesor Rod wrote:I've used Inkscape for vector and for its amazing resizing, but it's not good for rasterized small work in my opinion. GIMP is acceptable but the brushes and effects are limited.
So I invite you on the French translation to confront. ^^
Personally, I take 8-12 minutes to write everything once I translate (with the latest version).

Profesor Rod wrote:And thanks for the name of the font. I'll have to seek for a similar font in the family, because the spanish translation has accented vowels, "ñ" and opening exclamation and question marks :?
Maybe a mix with Webletterer and Komika ? (but Webletterer Pro works too in Spanish ;) (¡, ¿, Ñ, ã, etc.))
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

Is this proyect still going on?
Because because if it were so i could help :mrgreen:
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Foldo

Post by Foldo »

It's the old thread. The new is right here. ;) (but not to discuss, the other, you already know)