HPU: Edge City

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Leafolawl

HPU: Edge City

Post by Leafolawl »

The leaves from the trees hit the ground
Where the wind can then sweep them around
But then pets will collect
These of autumn's effect
Just to scatter them with a great bound!

Or, that's one of those Hollywood-esque fall days Skya thinks many families might be enjoying... or filming. The western suburbs of Edge lack places to really gather up leaves into, with most homes having smaller yards... Not that it changes anything, as she's still leaning against a bus stop sign in the chill of the autumn breeze, cursing the cold as she returns her phone to an inner pocket of her bulky black collar. "Should have grabbed your scarf at the least, Skya," she quietly scolds, looking for the bus, or at least someone to talk to while she waits. "That or checked the bus schedule before you went to wait for the blasted thing so you're not just standing around outside in November..."

-----

The mall is bustling today, relative to Edge's usual constant quiet atmosphere. Many pets seem to be enjoying the new leash-free freedom, though many are still close to family members. The food court still hasn't lifted the leash requirement, though rumor is that if you're not causing trouble they won't actually care about it, and that the leash requirement is just to deter strays and wild animals from coming in and acting like they belong. Though, with most keeping to themselves or their own groups, it remains easy to navigate the three wings.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Buster
Game Master

Re: HPU: Edge City

Post by Buster »

there's a large canine approaching the bus stop from the opposite direction Skya came from. a dog from the floppy ears and multi tone coloring, though from his size you'd be forgiven for mistaking him for a larger variety of wolf. he has on an overly fluffy sweater with an embroidered pumpkin taking up most of the front. he seems to be making a deliberate effort not st step on any leaves as he arrives.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

A white furred cat with messy long fur and a black tail tip was sitting on a bench near a bus stop on his phone checking his mail, "Oh, Skya invited me to one of her mall trips, that'll be fun." He got up and walked down the street, he passed a quiet park with napping squirrels and lots of bushes, a fountain out on his right, and various normal city sights, he entered the mall, dozens of humans and animals were walking around "Hey! Skya! Where are you all, this mall is crowded like crazy and I can't seem to find the whipped cream!" Luka checked his phone again, he noticed it mentioned food, he went straight forward and opened th third door on the left, Let's see, Powell's pancakes, are y'all in here?"
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Selina walked towards the bus stop, checking her phone quickly: a couple paranormal investigation blogs, some notifications for some electronics videos on youtube, etc. as she got closer she saw Skya and Bear already there.

"Hey guys," she said waving. "The collar looks nice on you," she added to Skya
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

With his eyesight what it is, it takes bear a moment to realize who's at the stop with him, squinting a bit as he tries to get his blurry vision to focus, before just resorting to pulling his glasses out of the sweater's front pocket and putting them on.

"oh, Hello..." he offers timidly.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

So....it's morning....
Nilo sighed at the thought. While he already got up before sunrise for some.........personal business, and so wasn't in "just 5 more minutes" mode, the sunlight meant that he didn't have much time left.
"Pew" a sudden explosion sound blasted from his headphone. A moment of distraction was enough for his character to get hit and feel on the floor
"And Nil is down again" one of his teammate said teasingly
"I was distracted. Ress please" he replied, chuckling "Also we should probably head to extraction after this"
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya brings a paw up to feel her collar, looking at the cat a little warily. "Thanks..?" she responds, sounding unsure as to how she should take the compliment. "That's... a line to greet someone with, so why don't we take a step back to names. Skya," she greets with her other paw held out to shake, attempting to bring the conversation to a more normal place.

-----

Though his friends aren't in sight, Luka's calling grabs the attention of a nearby cat who steps over, putting something into a bag with a sunflower stitched onto its front. "Friends not here yet?" the maine coon asks, wearing a slightly apologetic smile as she steps up beside the smaller cat.
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote: Though his friends aren't in sight, Luka's calling grabs the attention of a nearby cat who steps over, putting something into a bag with a sunflower stitched onto its front. "Friends not here yet?" the maine coon asks, wearing a slightly apologetic smile as she steps up beside the smaller cat.
Luka turns to the cat and replies with, "Nope, nobody is here, I don't seem to recognize you, maybe introduce ourselves over pancakes?" he said, "I mean, they are pure perfection, especially with bottomless whipped cream. Oh, you might want to put your bag somewhere safe." he added, noticing the bag.
Rp characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Leafolawl wrote:Skya brings a paw up to feel her collar, looking at the cat a little warily. "Thanks..?" she responds, sounding unsure as to how she should take the compliment. "That's... a line to greet someone with, so why don't we take a step back to names. Skya," she greets with her other paw held out to shake, attempting to bring the conversation to a more normal place.
the cat tilted her head, a little confused. "Selina," she said warily, taking Skya's paw.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Wait, so she's not a friend of yours then, Lina? i thought... nevermind..." The large canine wondered, when the greeting went sideways. drooping a bit as he trailed off.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya's shake is firm, and her eyes remain fixed on Selina, scanning over her critically until she lets go, at which point she glances around to check her surroundings... in time to see an approaching bus. "If we've met before, I'm sorry I don't remember. I tend to forget passive meetings since I travel with Dad a lot," she explains, making sure to step back from the edge of the sidewalk. "If you guys are heading to central Edge, here's our bus. If not, run and grab a scarf if you live close."

-----

The maine coon smiles. "Delilah Vern, and I don't really put the bag down," she explains, patting the shoulder strap. "Not only that, all that's in it is a mostly used sketch book and some pencils. Might sit down just so you can have something to eat if you're so hungry, regardless. Were your friends supposed to be here by now?" She straightens up, using her height to scan the room for any pets that look to be.
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:The maine coon smiles. "Delilah Vern, and I don't really put the bag down," she explains, patting the shoulder strap. "Not only that, all that's in it is a mostly used sketch book and some pencils. Might sit down just so you can have something to eat if you're so hungry, regardless. Were your friends supposed to be here by now?" She straightens up, using her height to scan the room for any pets that look to be.
"I don't know, my friend didn't say, but she said food and, well, this is my dad's store. Mister Powell himself, best pancakes in existence." Luka walked up front, "Dad, chocolate pancakes for, umm..." he turned toward the Maine Coon, "Do you want some pancakes, miss? It's on me."
Rp characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Leafolawl wrote:Skya's shake is firm, and her eyes remain fixed on Selina, scanning over her critically until she lets go, at which point she glances around to check her surroundings... in time to see an approaching bus. "If we've met before, I'm sorry I don't remember. I tend to forget passive meetings since I travel with Dad a lot," she explains, making sure to step back from the edge of the sidewalk. "If you guys are heading to central Edge, here's our bus. If not, run and grab a scarf if you live close."
"oh... uh yeah," Selina said, still a little thrown off.
Buster wrote:"Wait, so she's not a friend of yours then, Lina? i thought... nevermind..." The large canine wondered, when the greeting went sideways. drooping a bit as he trailed off.
"I know her, but I guess she doesn't know me back," the cat whispered behind Skya.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Nodding in response to Skaya, and a bit confused by selena, Bear digs out his bus pass. Deciding not to think too hard on it just yet.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

"Well, that took a while" Nilo sighed, finally managed to shut down his computer.
"Mom, you up yet?" he asked.......no reply....
The cat frowned as he quickly walked out of his room, down the stairs, and glanced at the picture of himself and his owner on the wall. A sigh of relief escaped his nose, before he headed for the kitchen.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Delilah smiles, sitting down. "Dad and I already ate," she says, motioning over to a man near the back corner. "He's finishing up some papers for school right now, so I have some time to explore and meet others on my own," she further explains to him, moving her bag into her lap. "That said, I can help you look for your friends," the maine coon offers. "... After you eat, of course. Nothing good comes from being that hungry."

-----

Skya pulls her pass out as well, boarding the bus with a smile to the driver, and no words. She pauses briefly, the same calculating look in her eye as she surveys the seats and passengers... Then—seeming satisfied—makes her way over to sit near to an emergency exit, making a motion for her joining companions to sit with her.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Leafolawl wrote:Skya pulls her pass out as well, boarding the bus with a smile to the driver, and no words. She pauses briefly, the same calculating look in her eye as she surveys the seats and passengers... Then—seeming satisfied—makes her way over to sit near to an emergency exit, making a motion for her joining companions to sit with her.
Selina pulled out her own and followed Skya to the seat. "So, any idea what's going on at this party besides food?"
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

after a prolonged silence with the three riding on the bus bear suddenly chips in, "oh, uh, were you asking me? umm... i dunno, i've never done this before..."
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:Delilah smiles, sitting down. "Dad and I already ate," she says, motioning over to a man near the back corner. "He's finishing up some papers for school right now, so I have some time to explore and meet others on my own," she further explains to him, moving her bag into her lap. "That said, I can help you look for your friends," the maine coon offers. "... After you eat, of course. Nothing good comes from being that hungry."
Turning back to his dad, Luka told him "Guess the pancakes are just for me." he sat down in his chair, "So, Delilah, have you been here before? Maybe heard it from an ad?" he starts singing, "Powell's Pancakes! Powell's Pancakes! Best pancakes in the whole wide universe! Powell's Pancakes! Powell's Pancakes! They were so good it ended wars! Powell's Pancakes! Powell's Pancakes!" he continued singing the many verses of the song in a silly voice.
Rp characters
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

"I figured she had to be asking you. Only party I know of is a company thing with the bank my dad works at," Skya explains, looking between the two of them as she slips her card back into the thick black collar she's wearing.

-----

Delilah looks around, now looking a little uncertain. "We've been before, once or twice... Biggest lot in the mall, figured it had to be something, even if dad complains about the slogan. ... And song." She clears her throat. "Be proud of your family, of course, but it's a bit much for some... Especially students who are trying to finish homework assignments..?" she tries to gently remind, wearing a nervous smile.
Love me right now! Done.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Nilo sighed, fruitlessly searching around the kitchen. There was nothing to eat. Well, technically there was, a lot actually, but he somehow he managed to not find the mood to eat any of them.
So the cat stepped outside in the cold, chilly air, not even bothering with his collar yet, and wondered what he should do for the day.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Oh well... I kind of only met lina when I moved in and don't really know anyone else... so mom though this book club she heard about might be a good place to make friends."
Bear explains, reaching into the pocket of his sweater ((the thing is basically hoodie without the hood, and has the same kind of front double pocket, i don't know what to call that so i'm sticking with sweater for now)) and pulls out a well worn book, it's old and the title is partially worn off, what's left of it saying "The prin-... ...-am Goodman". despite that it seems well cared for.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:"I figured she had to be asking you. Only party I know of is a company thing with the bank my dad works at," Skya explains, looking between the two of them as she slips her card back into the thick black collar she's wearing.

-----

Delilah looks around, now looking a little uncertain. "We've been before, once or twice... Biggest lot in the mall, figured it had to be something, even if dad complains about the slogan. ... And song." She clears her throat. "Be proud of your family, of course, but it's a bit much for some... Especially students who are trying to finish homework assignments..?" she tries to gently remind, wearing a nervous smile.
Luka stops, "Sorry, I get excited some times, did you say your dad works at a school? If so, which one?
Rp characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Leafolawl wrote:"I figured she had to be asking you. Only party I know of is a company thing with the bank my dad works at," Skya explains, looking between the two of them as she slips her card back into the thick black collar she's wearing.
"N-no, I mean at the... nevermind." Seliuna muttered.
Buster wrote:"Oh well... I kind of only met lina when I moved in and don't really know anyone else... so mom though this book club she heard about might be a good place to make friends."
Bear explains, reaching into the pocket of his sweater ((the thing is basically hoodie without the hood, and has the same kind of front double pocket, i don't know what to call that so i'm sticking with sweater for now)) and pulls out a well worn book, it's old and the title is partially worn off, what's left of it saying "The prin-... ...-am Goodman". despite that it seems well cared for.
"what are you reading?" she asked, curious.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"More like re-reading. i've already read it a dozen times, though any time i bring The Princess Bride up everybody thinks i'm talking about the movie based on it. not that that's necessarily a bad thing, they're very similar and the movie is good too, i just like the book better..." he explains hesitating a moment before holding the hardcover book out so Selina can see it better.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

"No no, student. He attends school, he works at the local supermarket," Delilah explains, giving a small shake of her head. "He comes here for the wifi and coffee, I just keep him company. Grew up with him doting over me, so I try to help him some."

----

"Huh," the madura sounds in response to the explanation of the book, though her eyes remain fixed on Selina briefly. "That's a comfortable turn. Might have to look into joining that book club if I find I suddenly have more free time." She turns to peek out the window, then scans over the bus' occupants again.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:"More like re-reading. i've already read it a dozen times, though any time i bring The Princess Bride up everybody thinks i'm talking about the movie based on it. not that that's necessarily a bad thing, they're very similar and the movie is good too, i just like the book better..." he explains hesitating a moment before holding the hardcover book out so Selina can see it better.
"oh, yeah, I've been interested to read that," Selina responded. "I know it has a different framing device from the movie and I want to see how it changes things."
Leafolawl wrote:"Huh," the madura sounds in response to the explanation of the book, though her eyes remain fixed on Selina briefly. "That's a comfortable turn. Might have to look into joining that book club if I find I suddenly have more free time." She turns to peek out the window, then scans over the bus' occupants again.
"you should, it's fun," the cat said encouragingly
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

After wandering around his house for a couple of minutes, Nilo went back inside, cold and bored, in his hand was a small letter he picked up in the mailbox
alright..... he thought a little hesitantly as he read writing, but, in the end, it seemed sensible, beside there was nothing to eat anyway, so the cat put on his collar, grabbed the keys, and head out toward the mall.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"You should. it's worth reading" Bear says with a smile, nodding. After, he goes quiet again for a brief while not having much else to say. Instead opening the book up to where he most recently left off. one ear flicking every time the bus's automated 'next stop will be this place' announcements play. ((Most places have that on their buses right? not just the cities I've lived in?))
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

A black and white border collie wearing an olive green scarf sits quietly on the bus, thumbing through a copy of the Edge City daily paper he'd found when he boarded. Only half paying attention to what he was reading, he noticed a cat a few rows up scanning over the bus. Figuring a conversation might be more interesting than what was in the paper, he caught her gaze and asked, "Hey, uh... cat. You looking for something?" He held up the newspaper. "This isn't yours, is it? I just found it on one of the seats."
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya looks over, eyes giving the new dog a quick scan. "... It's not, and no, I'm not. Just making sure I don't stay past my stop. Speaking of, Bear, I get off on the next stop. Faster than waiting the extra twenty minutes to wrap back around to a spot closer to the mall." She emphasizes this by drawing a straight line in the air, then drawing a wide circle to the same point. "Besides, walking's more fun and slightly less stale smelling."
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Leafolawl wrote:"No no, student. He attends school, he works at the local supermarket," Delilah explains, giving a small shake of her head. "He comes here for the wifi and coffee, I just keep him company. Grew up with him doting over me, so I try to help him some."
"Well then, who's his teacher?" he asked,
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Oh. um, alright then... I suppose a bit of walking isn't a bad idea..." Bear answered, looking over at Selena to see if she'd be coming too.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Leafolawl wrote:Skya looks over, eyes giving the new dog a quick scan. "... It's not, and no, I'm not. Just making sure I don't stay past my stop. Speaking of, Bear, I get off on the next stop. Faster than waiting the extra twenty minutes to wrap back around to a spot closer to the mall." She emphasizes this by drawing a straight line in the air, then drawing a wide circle to the same point. "Besides, walking's more fun and slightly less stale smelling."
Buster wrote:"Oh. um, alright then... I suppose a bit of walking isn't a bad idea..." Bear answered, looking over at Selena to see if she'd be coming too.
"Makes sense to me," Selina added.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Leafolawl wrote:Skya looks over, eyes giving the new dog a quick scan. "... It's not, and no, I'm not. Just making sure I don't stay past my stop. Speaking of, Bear, I get off on the next stop. Faster than waiting the extra twenty minutes to wrap back around to a spot closer to the mall." She emphasizes this by drawing a straight line in the air, then drawing a wide circle to the same point. "Besides, walking's more fun and slightly less stale smelling."
The border collie nods slowly. He looks down at the newspaper and tears part of a page out, stuffing the piece of paper into his collar. He then stands up and moves forward a few rows to place himself in a seat directly behind the group of pets. "So, you three heading to the mall? Mind if I tag along? I'm heading there myself." He sizes up the two cats and giant dog as he speaks. He hesitates a brief moment, then adds, "Name's Charlest- uh, Charlie, by the way," before flashing a toothy smile.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Skya smirks, a playful glint in her eye as she turns to the collie. "Good to meet you, Charlest'uh-charlie," she welcomes, offering her paw. "My name is Skya," she introduces, looking over him more thorough now that he's moved over to join them.

-----

The maine coon shrugs. "His campus doesn't let him keep pets, so he's staying here with a cousin while he attends a nearby college. He doesn't really talk about his instructors by name, either." She brings out the sketchbook from her bag, looking over at her dad. "He's studying literature. Wants to be one of the "great" authors people speak of in future times..."
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Postcard wrote:The border collie nods slowly. He looks down at the newspaper and tears part of a page out, stuffing the piece of paper into his collar. He then stands up and moves forward a few rows to place himself in a seat directly behind the group of pets. "So, you three heading to the mall? Mind if I tag along? I'm heading there myself." He sizes up the two cats and giant dog as he speaks. He hesitates a brief moment, then adds, "Name's Charlest- uh, Charlie, by the way," before flashing a toothy smile.
"yeah, the more the merrier. I'm Selina." the cat says.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

at this point bear, seeming distracted from the collie gets a wierd expression on his face and looks at Skya. "Wait a minute, how did you know my name? We only met 20 minutes ago and I haven't said it."
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Nilo idly walked on the sidewalk, feeling the cold air blowing against his fur, mumbling his new favorite song, as he looked around, vaguely trying to determine the way to the mall
"Cold, the air and water flowing....Hard, this place we call our home...."
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Leafolawl wrote:Skya smirks, a playful glint in her eye as she turns to the collie. "Good to meet you, Charlest'uh-charlie," she welcomes, offering her paw. "My name is Skya," she introduces, looking over him more thorough now that he's moved over to join them.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:"yeah, the more the merrier. I'm Selina." the cat says.
Charleston takes Skya's paw and gives a quick shake. "Nice to meet you Skya and Selina," he says, maintaining his smile before looking to Bear. The smile fading from his face, he focuses intently, feeling an uneasy sense of familiarity. "And... Bear?"