HPU?: Apollo City

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

valerio

Re: HPU?: Apollo City

Post by valerio »

The genet looked puzzled at that reaction. In his database, physical contact to express gratitude wasn't contemplated for anidroids protocol, but he was sensible enough not to say it. "You're...welcome. Now, as to answer your question, Todd, the reasons are two: one, the Sanctuary is supposed to be perfectly isolated from cosmic radiation. Even the smallest exposition could lead to unwanted genetical damage, and given the limited number of specimens, that would cause irreparable damage to the Sanctuary's very purpose. And two..." he added the moment the platform left the pit...
...and they all found themselves descending from the roof of an immense chamber! It was as if the CERN laboratories could be hosted in that cave, onl that here there wasn't the cold presence of steel and circuitry, but the perfect replica of several native terran environments. Such was the scale, that it was impossible to determine the size of each 'habitat', but it was clear that life was thriving in the numbers, and the lighting was a good approximation of the Sun's.
"...this is not a prison, as you can see. The purebreed would soon lose their minds in an environment deprived of biological interactions."
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Veil looked at it all, it was impressive. He looked over at Jemmy, "But even if they wanted they still can't leave."
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"This is unexpected." Todd observes calmly.
"What provisions are made for meeting the nutritional requirements of those residing in this facility? We are informed that we are not to provide sustenance ourselves however I am curious as to with what they are provided that they can eat as well as to whether or not any hunting or natural food-gathering behaviour is permissible amongst the residents here."
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

James looked around, smiling at the scene before him. He hears the word prison and suddenly thinks of that old game he played.

"It's that one where you're like a prisoner and you get letters or something. What's it called? Presentable Library or something? I dunno."

James shrugs and listens to the sounds of everything, taking it all in.

Is this what it's like to be a real animal?
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
valerio

Post by valerio »

Civilization wrote:Veil looked at it all, it was impressive. He looked over at Jemmy, "But even if they wanted they still can't leave."
"Oh, this is not their permanent settlement. After their first reproduction, they are sent back to earth together with their litter. At the same time, new young ones are picked up to replace the adults until the new reproductive cycle. It is the only way: clonation is but the reproduction of the same DNA, and in the wild it is a weakness. And forcing them to stay here until they die of natural causes makes no sense either, they are supposed to give new blood to the environment."
Hlaoroo wrote:"This is unexpected." Todd observes calmly.
"What provisions are made for meeting the nutritional requirements of those residing in this facility? We are informed that we are not to provide sustenance ourselves however I am curious as to with what they are provided that they can eat as well as to whether or not any hunting or natural food-gathering behaviour is permissible amongst the residents here."
"Food comes from the same cloning facilities that creat the synth-meat for human and Gorian consumption, same goes for produces, and that allows for the byproducts, such as sugar. Milk cannot be cloned of course, and any attempt to replace it with chemical products failed, so there are farms with livestock down here.

The platform reached the floor. Looking up, the roof seemed so far away... "Few realize it, but the Sanctuary came before Apollo city was built. Apollo Industries worked as part of a global network to make sure that Earth's biological heritage wasn't lost forever. They are working on bringing back some extinct species as well."
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Veil looked at the other's, nodding at what Jemmy told him. "So where are you all going to meet this Vi then, now that we're here at level 1?"
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

"Hmm... I didn't know that..." The white canine mumbled, staying quiet for the most part as he trailed at the rear of the group. He himself had been here before but the history of the structure escaped his knowledge, as well as the science and reason behind its sturdy interior.
Civilization wrote:Veil looked at the other's, nodding at what Jemmy told him. "So where are you all going to meet this Vi then, now that we're here at level 1?"
"Well, Jemmy said she was in the American animals section of this level, right?"
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"That would seem acceptable for organic survival." Todd observes.
"It does seem much more pleasant down here. The security requirements are quite logical given the circumstances. Do you know where to find Vi, Jemmy? Residences of individual animals do not appear to be listed on my copy of the map."
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

James stayed close to the others, not really sure what to do. He had only been outside the restaurant to fetch ingredients from the shop. James took a deep breath and calmed himself.

"Can't be too different then hanging out with these guys! Can it?"
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Jemmy led the group through the wide, enclosed habitats. Some of them were moist with droplets of rain, others were cool, bordering on the outright cold, others were displaying snow and even ice. And the variety! They ranged from perfect forest reproduction, going up to mountain habitats. "As you might have noticed, the global season setting is on 'midwinter'. The fauna's biorhythms must follow Earth's natural weather pattern, or their survival will be put at risk the moment they set foot on their mother planet. Also, food is less generous so that they learn how to store it properly while they are here. Bears will have to hibernate, for example. You'll be lucky to meet one as it is. The foxes female should be in reproduction mode already."
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Veil looked around, this was definitely way more than what was in the city. He looked at the others to see what their reactions were to this place, he almost was a little excited to be here now. He had no idea what to say of the place, maybe the others could come up with something to say. "So why did you chose now to meet this Vi then?"
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

James skates around at a slow pace, mostly in a circle around the others. He waved to the others and chief into his paw.

"This is kinda weird."
My characters!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Civilization wrote:Veil looked around, this was definitely way more than what was in the city. He looked at the others to see what their reactions were to this place, he almost was a little excited to be here now. He had no idea what to say of the place, maybe the others could come up with something to say. "So why did you chose now to meet this Vi then?"
"Because they asked, of course."
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

valerio wrote:"Because they asked, of course."
"One of her caretakers said it was a good idea for her to spend some time with other animals and pets once in awhile." Avery quips. Speaking of which.
"Hey guys!" A long browned haired woman waves to the group as she approaches. "Was wondering when you'd show up." Kat smiled.

Ref Ref!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Jemmy stopped and bowed politely to Kat. "Greetings. I hope we did not show up at an inconvenient moment."
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

James waved weakly at Kat, resisting the urge to sniff the human.
My characters!
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

valerio wrote:Jemmy stopped and bowed politely to Kat. "Greetings. I hope we did not show up at an inconvenient moment."
"No please, visitors are always welcome during open hours." She replied, waving back at Mickey. "Viria actually looked pretty bored the last time I checked on her so she'll be happy to have to some company!"

Ref Ref!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Good day, ma'am." Todd greets the lady cordially with a nod.
"Greetings, ma'am. Thank you for allowing visitors to the sanctuary. It's good for the health of those under your care as well as for the peace of mind of those members of the public who may be concerned as to conditions here. I myself am quite impressed by the facility and I look forward to meeting Viria, or Vi, as she is referred to by my companions who already have had the pleasure of making her acquaintance." Kelly says politely.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Veil sat further back but still with the group, smiling and trying to be polite. Letting the others do the greetings and such, he was quite surprised by the friendliness of this place's staff too. Though he still didn't feel like making introductions until they wanted him too, so he continued to stand there quietly.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Jemmy's ears flicked toward Veil. The genet then turned his head of 180°. "Is there something of the problem?" he asked poluitely in that...well, weird position "I could be of help."
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Veil looked up at Jemmy, "No, I'm alright, thank you." He shuffled his feet in place again, "Don't you want to go meet your friend now?"
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

"Viria?"

James had poked his head out fmor behind Jemmy. His tail started to wag at the mention of company.

"So she's wants some friends, huh?"
My characters!
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Hlaoroo wrote:"Good day, ma'am." Todd greets the lady cordially with a nod.
"Greetings, ma'am. Thank you for allowing visitors to the sanctuary. It's good for the health of those under your care as well as for the peace of mind of those members of the public who may be concerned as to conditions here. I myself am quite impressed by the facility and I look forward to meeting Viria, or Vi, as she is referred to by my companions who already have had the pleasure of making her acquaintance." Kelly says politely.
"Of course! And she'll be happy to meet you too!" Kat smiles as she turns to Kelly. "Visitors are always welcome, and they help keep our residents busy."
Mickey wrote:"Viria?"

James had poked his head out fmor behind Jemmy. His tail started to wag at the mention of company.

"So she's wants some friends, huh?"
Kat nods. "She might not admit to it, but she likes to have company around... She tends to get bored easily..." The woman scuffs her feet on the ground. "And if she gets bored... Well she usually gets into some kind of trouble..."

Ref Ref!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Jemmy nodded. To his group, he said, "In fact, Vi must be regularly cleansed after every escapade. I am puzzled why would she rather go through that procedure instead of just obeying the rules. But I guess I am not programmed for 'boredom'."
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

James began skating in slow circles around everyone again. He was smiling and his robotic tail was wagging. He, of course, wasn't about to juts take off without permission. Plus he wouldn't know where he was going even if he did just up and speed away. He began singing under his breath.
My characters!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"I believe that boredom is a result of the inability of organic brains to enter an idle mode during periods of low stimulation. They create stimulation for themselves in various ways. For most those are sensible - for instance, visiting shows at the theatre. For others they can cause trouble. It is down to the indefinable differences in individual organics as to how they react. I am programmed to respond to and understand boredom although being an ani-droid I do not feel the emotion myself." Kelly explains for the benefit of the other droids.

"So where would we find Viria? We should attend to her before she causes trouble again." Todd suggests, following his programming for utility.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Veil couldn't help but smile at the ani-droids attempts to figure out why those act the way they do when bored. He then just decided to watch James do his thing again, wondering how one could be so happy like that with nothing else to do. He sighed and then focused his attention on the surroundings, he knew that most here probably had to live life and prepare now, but still wondered what they did for fun, if he could he would try and ask this Vi.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

"I'm not programmed with boredom either, but I can detect it. I'm programmed to keep people happy, so they taught me body language."

James was still skating in slow circles.
My characters!
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

"If you'll please follow me. She's in her habitat right now." Kat motions for them to follow her as she walks down the hallway. "Y'know, I'm actually surprised by how many people she knows. Did... She meet all of you during her last Umm... Trip into the city?"

Ref Ref!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Roarin wrote:"If you'll please follow me. She's in her habitat right now." Kat motions for them to follow her as she walks down the hallway. "Y'know, I'm actually surprised by how many people she knows. Did... She meet all of you during her last Umm... Trip into the city?"
"Not all of us. Some of the present company joined to know her and learn something about the Habitat. I find this initiative collateral of PR benefit."
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Todd and I have not met her but our friends who have made her acquaintance speak highly of her." Kelly confirms.
"These habitats are designed to replicate the natural living conditions on Earth of the residents who occupy them, correct?" Todd queries. [/color=#AA6600]"If so, I am curious. Are there provisions made to preserve their natural instincts and if so what kind of provisions? If not, how can they be released into an environment for which they would be unprepared, and would that not undermine the purpose of this facility?"[/color]
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Veil quietly followed behind everyone else, quite content to be just apart of the group without trying to get involved. It was always entertaining to him to listen to any ani-droid, robot, whatever have a conversation. Always came out better than how he talked and yet always seemed to have such formality and purpose to it. The best he could do was just follow the group in silence, even with plenty of things to say or add he decided to himself to stay quiet, Why can't you ever just be friendly and open? He shook his head and focused on their surroundings.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Roarin wrote:"If you'll please follow me. She's in her habitat right now." Kat motions for them to follow her as she walks down the hallway. "Y'know, I'm actually surprised by how many people she knows. Did... She meet all of you during her last Umm... Trip into the city?"
James skates in rather fast paced circles around her, hopefully not sucking her air away, before coming to a stop in front of her. Not a complete stop, he was still skating backwards. He holds his hand out for her to shake.

"James Semaj. Family pet and full time resident-slash-worker at the Blue Jay restaurant. Pleased to make your acquaintance."

Before she even has a chance to respond, James is off again, this time towards Veil. He skates behind him, leaning down to his height a little.

"'Ey, pal, what's the problem?"
My characters!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Hlaoroo wrote:"Todd and I have not met her but our friends who have made her acquaintance speak highly of her." Kelly confirms.
"These habitats are designed to replicate the natural living conditions on Earth of the residents who occupy them, correct?" Todd queries. [/color=#AA6600]"If so, I am curious. Are there provisions made to preserve their natural instincts and if so what kind of provisions? If not, how can they be released into an environment for which they would be unprepared, and would that not undermine the purpose of this facility?"[/color]
"Prey drones are used in dedicated facilities," Jemmy answered. "They are equipped with SynthMeat(TM), so that the kill is as accurate as possible, while hunting instincts and techniques are properly honed. It should be noted that these drones are provided with the strictly necessary AI for the scope of their existence, they are no more sentient than lifesize dolls."
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Mickey wrote:Before she even has a chance to respond, James is off again, this time towards Veil. He skates behind him, leaning down to his height a little.

"'Ey, pal, what's the problem?"
Veil looked at James, "Still nothing, I am quite alright thank you." He would have repeated himself further but James didn't know this Vi. So he just smiled and hoped the jackal would be happy enough with that.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"Interesting. That would seem to be an acceptable substitute. May I assume that the entirety of the drone is edible as according to my database organic predators on Earth would devour the entirety of their kill?"

Meanwhile, Kelly has also detected Veil's apparent discomfort however she approaches it much more tactfully. Having been programmed to read body language in detail, including performing a biometric scan of whatever muscle tension is visible through the skin and/or fur or a creature she's generally able to gauge emotions fairly accurately. In Veil she can sense frustration as his muscles tighten subtly and although she cannot hazard a guess as to what might be causing it she can tell from the ferret's tone of voice that it's only exacerbated by James. She drops back gradually until she's walking beside the ferret, measuring her steps with mechanical accuracy so as to match his pace yet not quite synchronise her pawsteps with his. She walks in silence for a short while before taking his paw. Ordinarily she'd have stopped him and put an arm on his upper arm for a comforting rub but that's not possible or appropriate at this time as they're walking. Instead she shows her solidarity with him by squeezing his paw gently. Her paw feels surprisingly realistic through the soft cotton gloves she's wearing, even down to having pawpads and claws with her soft synthe-fur providing some give and some natural motion and warmth to accompany what would otherwise be a cold and unnerving metallic grip.
"I can tell you're a little frustrated about something and that James is not helping to ease your discomfort. Would you like me to ask James to leave you alone, or would you like me to organise for us to wait outside the facility for the others to finish with Vi?" she whispers, using a more informal tone than her default speech patterns.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Hlaoroo wrote:"I can tell you're a little frustrated about something and that James is not helping to ease your discomfort. Would you like me to ask James to leave you alone, or would you like me to organise for us to wait outside the facility for the others to finish with Vi?" she whispers, using a more informal tone than her default speech patterns.
James couldn't help but glare subtly at Kelly. He rose back to his full height and, with a quiet angered huff through his nose, skated back towards Jemmy. He skated along next to him, his paws stuck in his leg pockets. He held him lapis beads in his mouth and quietly gnawed at the thin metal string that held them together. It was a weird thing he did when...well, it was just a weird thing he did.
My characters!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Hlaoroo wrote:"Interesting. That would seem to be an acceptable substitute. May I assume that the entirety of the drone is edible as according to my database organic predators on Earth would devour the entirety of their kill?"
"Yes. The drone is completely edible, so that not only the predator can kill and eat, but also to allow an acceptable replica of the decomposition process in the environment. The predator, according to species and needs, must learn to make use of the body in the most efficacious way. Also, the presence of the drone is never made regular, so that the predator must learn how to stalk and hunt guided by instinct and hunger."
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Veil walked in silence, he always wanted to be apart of a group, but not involved in it. With James all happy, and Jemmy and Todd's curiosity, and Kelly's concern, he had nothing. He actually really enjoyed being around Kelly, and probably Todd too if he had a chance to talk to him, but that probably was because they were ferrets, or looked like them at least. "No James, your fine. Um, don't worry about it." He watched as he backed off though, didn't make himself feel any better. He looked at Kelly, a little surprised by her gesture. "No, I don't want to be any more of a bother, I'm fine." He stopped smiling, "Just kind of the way I am."
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

"It's okay. You're no bother at all." Kelly assures the ferret, giving his paw a brief squeeze before releasing it. Sensing that he's still not entirely comfortable due in part to his expression, the anidroid decides to change the topic away from the ferret.
"So what do you think of the facility? It is rather impressive, is it not?"

~~~~
"How ingenious. Although, does not having visitors play havoc with their instincts and feeding patterns?"
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters