Non-HPU: Jade Star Academy

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Non-HPU: Jade Star Academy

Post by Buster »

As the sun rose an old man walked down stone halls, footsteps echoing and surrounded by silence that almost seemed to be waiting in anticipation. the flickering lanterns slowly being replaced by the early morning light, their green glow Bolinger dancing across the arched ceiling. memory filling in the usual sounds of students rushing about, as his old faded scales pulled into a light smile. In a few hours these halls would be full again... Though there was one set of footsteps behind him very much not imagined.

"Hello child. I wasn't expecting anyone just yet." he offers with a chuckle. expecting to see a student.

"Sorry old man, just thought I should say goodbye before i go." the youth behind him answered. his old eyes being met by a cheeky grin and playful eyes peeking out form lavender locks. borne by a young woman kitted out like she was about to venture into some wild untamed land.

"Go?" he frowned as he said those words. "You're a member of the legion, you can't just drop everything and-"

"Battle master tanal has already cleared me. He understood my reasons." the younger of the two stated, interrupting. her mood souring. "And the portals are being reopened. It's been lifetimes since i roamed the worlds."

"This is about your sister isn't it?" he asked, as the two redirected to one of the balconies, overlooking the bay. the morning sun making the marble and granite of the city's old architecture shine with reds and oranges, as the populace below them started their day.

"when isn't it Cas?" rua grumbled, huffing and crossing her arms. her wings twitching slightly causing speckled feathers to ruffle in irritation. "Nomatter what I do she's still mother's favorite... I just want to be somwhere else for a while."

"She's the heir and is being groomed for a seat on the council. the attention is out of obligation, not favoritism." The old dragon tried to explain, though like every other time they had had this conversation the words seemed to fall on deaf ears. sighing, he tried another angle. "When will you be back?"

As the two continued to talk, the now awake town below would be there to greet several new faces, some returning, some from far beyond. at the docks just beyond market square near of the base of the academy's main tower, a slightly exasperated looking lizzard was just finishing up listening to what sounded like the life story of one such outsider, and rolled his eyes at the abrupt attempt to leave. "It will only be another minute for them to process your papers Mr. Watson..." he droned.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Re: Non-HPU: Jade Star Academy

Post by Deske »

Honestly, Tom hadn't even realized that he'd started rambling on when the lizard in front of him had asked him a few simple questions about himself. Normally he wasn't so scatterbrained, but since he'd just been dropped into this world by witchcraft gone wrong, it was probably okay that he wasn't quite "all there" just yet. Being unceremoniously torn from your own world and flung into another one probably had that effect on people, right? He sighed, how he wished he could hire an artist to paint a picture of this view. Returning to the present, Tom focused on the lizard standing in front of him instead of the magnificent city just beyond.
"Oh, my apologies. I hadn't even realized I was rambling. Just got here you see, bit of a run in with some bad er... experimenting. I guess you could call it back alley natural philosophy," Tom explained to the lizard person. He was about to continue when he paused, "Out of curiosity, what kind of citizenship papers are these? I'll admit I didn't bring any sort of identification."
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Travel records mostly, we need to keep track of who comes and goes, in case the Guard are trying to find someone. And most of yours need to be done from scratch since you're not wearing a family crest." the slightly bored sounding reptile explained while penning a dispatch to the local guild branch requesting record of Tom's arrival by portal, so it could be filed with the rest.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

“Hmm...”

“What’s up snow pup? Still sick from the ship ride over?” Shimmering points in the air began to slowly swirl around a particularly pale looking wolf who had suddenly paused on the side of the crowded streets just outside the docks.

Shaking his head, Fen’rus took in a deep breath before scanning the area around him in one slow pan. There were so many people; natives, foreigners, and some travelers coming from places beyond this world. He heard about it somewhere along his journey through the empire. Something about portals opening up, each one leading to some planet far beyond anything he’s ever known. Granted he didn’t know too much to begin with. Vi said they haven’t been open it awhile, and that it was a pretty big deal. Hopefully they’d meet some aliens at the academy, from the way she talked on the subject he had a feeling that was one of the things his metallic friend was looking forward to.

“No no. Just taking in the scenery. I think I got over that somewhere between throwing up over the side of the deck and dry heaving for a few minutes on the docks.”

“In front of everyone. Probably some of your future classmates too.”

“I felt fine at the beginning! And then the ship just kept rocking... bluh...”

“It was so cute when that old lady came up to ask if you were okay.”

“Alright alright.” The wolf waved his hand through the small constellation of dust around him before continuing down the road. “If you're done embarrassing me can you please tell me where I’m going?”

“Fine fine, I think the Academy should be...” Vi began directing the young canine, her swirling mass of shimmers guiding him through the bustle and towards the looming tower ahead of them.
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"So! What's your home city like?"

"Umm..." David hesitated, snapping out of his distracted state and looking back at the massive red and black snake... person... They had been traveling on this boat together for days, and once it was established that she wasn't going to eat his puny human self, she had been basically asking questions about him and his home world, Proxima Centauri B. David wasn't sure if she was asking out of genuine interest, or out of an attempt to keep him from leaving their quarters. Not that he really minded staying in the enclosed cabin of the ship. He was still taking everything in, and most of the time he wished he could be alone. He realized that the "Explorer's Guild" Kass, the snake girl, was a part of probably didn't want him to be unattended. He had given them quite a shock when he arrived. Literally. "Well... um... it's pretty big. It's the biggest city on our planet... It's about 400 square miles... most buildings are made of glass and steel, and houses are made of plastic... Wood's too expensive..."

"Fascinating!"

This continued for a long time. Kass asked David things like that all the time about his home, his culture, himself, what he ate, what he did for recreation, where he got his education, and most of all how his power worked. David was unique, even in his own world. Scientists would say he was "Glitched," or that the laws of physics was different for him in a specific way. In his case, he had a power much like magic. A power he knew basically nothing about, least of all how to control it. The giant tiger... griffin... thing... person who guarded the portal (and also the person David accidentally hit with his powers) suggested after his fur finally stopped standing on end that he should try going to this Jade Star Academy. With nothing else to do and nowhere else to go, he set off on the long trip to what he supposed was his new school.

Kass, one of the people who he encountered at the portal when he arrived, was accompanying him on this trip. She said it was her job to keep him out of trouble, and guide him where needed. David also figured she was there to figure out as much about him as possible.

When the ship finally arrived at port, David stepped out of his cabin for almost the first time since he got on the boat in the first place. He quickly pulled his insulating hood over his head, trying not to draw too much attention with his distinctly furless, scaleless, and tailless self. Kassalya followed behind, sliding along the ground on her long tail-like lower body. She led David down to the docks themselves, and they moved up behind a massive wolf person who was talking to some kind of reptilian who was apparently in charge of... some kind of paperwork. David had no clue what was going on. He just hoped Kass did.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Between the docks and the tower is a large open plaza of smooth white and red stone, which at present is filled with market stalls. everyone from local craftsmen to trade caravans selling various goods, though a disproportionate amount seem to be selling ink parchment velum quills and other similar supplies. also prominent are alchemic reagents and Mana pearls. though atleast one pearl vendor's wares would look suspect, and doesn't seem to be getting much traffic save for a few youth.

the overwhelming majority of those buying supplies are Kigrei and Laurae, who by the looks of it run the gamut from mid teens to early twenties, all wearing matching white trimmed dark green uniforms, save for there being three different versions of the crest on the tunic, and several of the older ones have an ornately decorated book with an elemental symbol on it's cover clipped to their belt by a silver chain. many are accompanied by etherials of every form.

one in particular is leaning on a staff with a mana pearl installed in it's tip, a gray Lunae with a living stormcloud in the shape of a young Fenrae perched on his shoulder. The figure is noticeably older than the others and has a slightly different design to their clothes. They also apparently have a knack for disappearing in plain sight.

Most of the uniformed figures make a beeline for the tower once they have what they came for.

-

Back at the dock, the rather bored looking Kigrei manning one of the arrivals desks is approached by a young Laurae Sha wearing similar work attire to his own despite looking at most fourteen, carrying a vellum scroll. inspecting it momentarily and nodding approvingly to her, the lizard turns back to Tom as the young gryphon runs off to attend to other duties. His previous attitude seeming to evaporate.

"In lieu of proper crest or guild seal on your clothing you'll want to keep this on you. Sorry about the wait." he explains handing over the scroll. Should he examine it, Tom would find it's an ink sketch of his face, both versions, a few bullet points worth of description laid out in an easily read manner and a seal that apparently grants him permission to enter the 'old kingdom province' of the empire. Assuming he can read imperial common...

Finally taking Tom's name down in his record book, and turning his attention to the new arrivals getting off the next ship, he notes the guild seal Kass wears, and asks her name before spotting David with her and grumbling "Please tell me he already has papers..."
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

"Woah, you'd think we'd joined a cult or something from all these guys running around dressed in that."

"Be nice. They're just uniforms. It's like... the army has uniforms right? No one thinks that looks weird. And this is a school after all." Fen'rus replied back while he was sifting through some of the fresh produce at one of the corner stalls. "Hey Vi, you think I should grab some of this while we're here? The village gave us some pocket money we never ended up using. Vi? Viii?" The large canine turned around to find his translucent friend staring out into the courtyard, concentrating on... something. "What's up?"

"Shush shush. Look look, you see, right there! No there!" Vi pointed out into the crowd, her finger centered on a certain grey Lunae that was going about their business.

Being a head or more taller than most of the people around him Fen followed his friend's direction and noticed the robe figure a few moments later. It was funny. It was almost like they were there, and then they were gone, and then he spotted them just out of his peripheral vision before they disappeared completely. If he didn't have this vantage point he probably would have lost track of them altogether. "Alright... what about them?"

"They seem suspiciously interesting...

I'm gonna go check em' out."

"Vi, you can't just go around-" Fen'rus began, but the etherial was already floating away, dispersing into a thin cloud of shimmering dust so as to remain as difficult to see as she could. He let out an exasperated sigh before dropping the fruit he was holding and following after.

Ref Ref!
Deske

Post by Deske »

Tom looked up from the lizard at the hustle and bustle of the marketplace in front of him, intrigued by the uniformed figures. Some of the items they're purchasing look familiar, quills, parchment and ink; even some of the alchemic reagents look strikingly familiar with a key difference here or there from what he's used to. The books on the other hand, look more like textbooks than the rough collection of papers and drawings he's used to. Some sort of school? he thinks to himself before refocusing on the lizardman in front of him. "Oh! Thank you. To be truthful with you, the wait wasn't bad at all." He steps to the side to give the scroll a read.
Unrolling it, he frowns, finding the letters indecipherable to him. "Similar sounding language does not mean a similar alphabet..." He mutters to himself before folding the parchment up and slipping it into a pocket. "Just out of curiosity, who are they," he asks, motioning towards where the uniformed folks had just been.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:Finally taking Tom's name down in his record book, and turning his attention to the new arrivals getting off the next ship, he notes the guild seal Kass wears, and asks her name before spotting David with her and grumbling "Please tell me he already has papers..."
"Uh..."
"Oh! Hold on, I've got them here somewhere..." Kass said, starting to rummage around in her bag for the papers. "Hmm... where are... Aha!" She pulled out a scroll much like what the Kigrei had just handed the wolf-person in front of them. "Here ya go!" She said, enthusiastically holding them out and open for the Kigrei to validate. On it was a sketch of David's face, bullet points that describe key identifying traits including a couple particularly notable points; "Individual's eyes and skin occasionally glow blue," and "Cold fire extends from limbs, fingers, and sometimes hair when the subject has full mana stores."

Finally, at the bottom, there was a seal granting David permission to travel in the Old Kingdom province in order to attend the academy.

Meanwhile, David's attention had turned to the marketplace, and to the sinking realization that he had absolutely no money to buy school supplies. He would have to ask Kass about it in a minute...
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:"Oh! Hold on, I've got them here somewhere..."[/color] Kass said, starting to rummage around in her bag for the papers. "Hmm... where are... Aha!" She pulled out a scroll much like what the Kigrei had just handed the wolf-person in front of them. "Here ya go!" She said, enthusiastically holding them out and open for the Kigrei to validate. On it was a sketch of David's face, bullet points that describe key identifying traits including a couple particularly notable points; "Individual's eyes and skin occasionally glow blue," and "Cold fire extends from limbs, fingers, and sometimes hair when the subject has full mana stores."

Finally, at the bottom, there was a seal granting David permission to travel in the Old Kingdom province in order to attend the academy.
"Thak you."
Taking the offered document and looking it over, he pulls out a small handbook that appears to be an index of which seal is issued by which city. finding a match and everything in order, he nods pleasantly and hands the scroll back. taking both of their names down in his logbook.
Deske wrote:"Just out of curiosity, who are they," he asks, motioning towards where the uniformed folks had just been.
though the crowd had started to thin, there were still enough for the clerk to guess who tom meant.
"Academy students. This city used to be the capitol before the reign of Emperor Helya, and has the biggest mages academy in the land." he explains, gesturing at the tower on the far side of the market place and the half dozen connected buildings behind it. "The returning ones from the higher years are already in uniform."

- - -
Roarin wrote:Being a head or more taller than most of the people around him Fen followed his friend's direction and noticed the robe figure a few moments later. It was funny. It was almost like they were there, and then they were gone, and then he spotted them just out of his peripheral vision before they disappeared completely. If he didn't have this vantage point he probably would have lost track of them altogether. "Alright... what about them?"

"They seem suspiciously interesting...

I'm gonna go check em' out."

"Vi, you can't just go around-" Fen'rus began, but the etherial was already floating away, dispersing into a thin cloud of shimmering dust so as to remain as difficult to see as she could. He let out an exasperated sigh before dropping the fruit he was holding and following after.
As Vi gets close, she would hear the two talking.

"I think that's all we need."
""Good, then let's go."
there's the telltale shuffle and clink of a wallet getting lighter, and a purchase being collected.
"Pleasure doing buisness wit'cha."

as he raises his staff off the ground, a fain electric hum is audible to those close enough. though it would likely be drowned out by the crowd for Fen. when he brings it back down, the moment it touches the stone he's gone. A faintly crackling spell circle where his feet had been, tiny electric arcs jumping between the runes before they fade away to nothing.

as the rune's fade there's a flicker of motion before he appears a good hundred feet away at the oposite side of the market near the mouth of a side street and begins walking away completely bypassing the crowd of students and shoppers you're surrounded by.
Last edited by Buster on Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deske

Post by Deske »

"Mage's academy..." Tom stared at the Academy for a few seconds longer before turning back to the lizard, "Do they take outside entrants or is it only for the upper class who can afford it?" He glanced at the people who'd been behind him in line, doing a double take when he saw David, though he tried to quickly ratchet his gaze back onto the lizardman.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Buster wrote:As Vi gets close, she would hear the two talking.

"I think that's all we need."
""Good, then let's go."
there's the telltale shuffle and clink of a wallet getting lighter, and a purchase being collected.
"Pleasure doing buisness wit'cha."

as he raises his staff off the ground, a fain electric hum is audible to those close enough. though it would likely be drowned out by the crowd for Fen. when he brings it back down, the moment it touches the stone he's gone. A faintly crackling spell circle where his feet had been, tiny electric arcs jumping between the runes before they fade away to nothing.

as the rune's fade there's a flicker of motion before he appears a good hundred feet away at the oposite side of the market near the mouth of a side street and begins walking away completely bypassing the crowd of students and shoppers you're surrounded by.
It took a few minutes for Fen'rus to finally make it to where the reminents of Vi were swirling in a slow glimmering cyclone around the spot the runes were, her bits and particles vibrating in a way that the canine knew meant his metallic partner was excited about something. "So, did you get a chance to meet your interesting new friend?" The wolf grinned, feeding off of Vi's silent enthusiasm.

"He was there, and then... and then he was gone. Blinked somewhere over... ah I think he left but Fen! I saw it, I did. Real. Electrifying. Magic!" The etherial let out a long giggle that sounded like soft chimes blowing in the wind, her cyclone slowly spiraling into a fuzzy metal band that encircled the lunae's wrist.

"And? Was it as cool as how they said it was in the books?"

"Even. Better. Oooh Fen. Fen Fen Fen Fen! No offense but you have no idea how booooring it was back in the snow-covered boonies you called home. I mean, here. You're gonna learn to be a caster! That's awesome! I'm super jazzed and I don't care if people are staring at an etherial yelling for no reason in the middle of a crowded market! Why aren't you as excited as I am!?"

Fen'rus chuckled, scratching at the tip of his nose. "Well for one I think you have enough enthusiasm for both of us. And two, I am excited. Buut I'm a but anxious too. From the looks of it being a caster involves... a lot of writing, studying, you know. All those things I'm kinda infamous for sucking at." He glanced around again at the students in robes. Hopefully they'd have one that fit his size.

"Don't worry. It's not all textbooks, I'm sure you'll pick it up, easy-peasy. And if not, you got me don't you?" Vi reformed into her usual hazy image of a laurae, both hands planted on her chest where her heart should be. "Have I ever steered you wrong? Besides." Her ghostly image followed the canine back towards one of the many stalls that seemed to be selling mana pearls. "If there's ever a test you don't think you can pass I can always whisper the answers into those big ears of yours. No one would be the wiser"

Fen could only let out a teasing sigh, picking up one of the shiny orbs in the palm of his large hand. 'Well, it'd definitely be a real shame if we went back home after traveling all this way, and after that big sendoff I kinda owe to everyone to try my best. Now, help me pick out one these things." He held up the pearl for Vi to examine, knowing that would change the subject and launch her into another enthused monologue.

After spending a good chunk of time dawdling about and picking up a few doodads and trinkets the duo resumed their trek towards the academy, following the wave of people making the same journey as they were.

Ref Ref!
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

One of the arrival desks was approached by a cloaked fox, though her hood was down as she held her papers to be looked over for inspection. "So this is where you sign up for the Academy..." Her blue eyes looked around. She put a paw into her pocket pulled out the proper papers and hoped all her paperwork was in order.

[color=#0080FFF]"From House Lidawn."[/color] She mentioned, hoping her family crest had checked out. Far from her confident self, the fox seemed a bit nervous today.
Sunny Briggs -Golden Labrador Retriever- S3 P5 E7 C6 I3 A8 L10
Luna Briggs - Blue Russian Cat- S8 P6 E6 C6 I7 A5 L4
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:"Thak you."
Taking the offered document and looking it over, he pulls out a small handbook that appears to be an index of which seal is issued by which city. finding a match and everything in order, he nods pleasantly and hands the scroll back. taking both of their names down in his logbook.
Deske wrote:"Mage's academy..." Tom stared at the Academy for a few seconds longer before turning back to the lizard, "Do they take outside entrants or is it only for the upper class who can afford it?" He glanced at the people who'd been behind him in line, doing a double take when he saw David, though he tried to quickly ratchet his gaze back onto the lizardman.
Kass took back the scroll and stowed it away. "Cool. Thank you, sir!" She turned to look at David, who was pulling his hood tighter over his head to avoid the eye of the wolf-man. Or, at least, to avoid anyone seeing that his eyes were flashing blue. "Hey. What's eating you?"

"Interesting choice of words." David said, cramming his hood even farther down his face as if trying to pull himself into the hood and hide like a turtle in it's shell.

"Geeze. Sorry. You know we're civilized here, right? You're safe. You can stop worrying!" Kassalya said a little indignantly, feeling insulted.

"A few days ago my home got attacked by giant cannibalistic aliens. It's still a little soon for me to be surrounded by a lot of large people with pointy teeth." David deadpanned.

"Ah... right... you mentioned that..." Kass said a bit shyly. "Sorry."

"Don't be." David said, visibly relaxing a little, but still keeping his eyes covered. "I'm the one being an overparanoid jerk right now. Sorry about that, Kassalya."

"Just Kass is fine!" She said, perking up.

"Right. Anyway, that's not the problem right now anyway. Let's say, St. Elmo is trying to turn me into his own personal candelabra." David said, crossing his arms over his chest, somewhat hugging himself.

"I have no idea what any of that meant." Kass tilted her head in confusion.

"I'm full up on mana and it's trying to escape." David explained. "If I don't discharge some of it, I'm going to start looking like a magic candlestick." David slipped one of his gloves off and held his hand low so Kass could see the small blue jets of fire-like plasma shooting out of his fingertips. He put his gloves back on, unsure if anyone else saw. "Going to be hard to stay unnoticed if it looks like my hair's on fire."

"Oh! That's what you meant." She said, hastily pulling out her notebook. "Who's Saint Elmo?" she asked, eager to start recording.

David looked at the line they may or may not be holding up. "I'll tell you later, Kass. For now let's get out of everyone's way."

The two moved on past the arrival desk and towards the market, where the crowd was starting to thin. "It looks like everyone's already heading up to the academy!" She said, pointing over to the tower past the market square. "You excited?" she asked.

"Ner-"
"Nervous. right." Kass rolled her eyes. "You really don't have any sort of confidence. We'll have to work on that."

"Do you think I'll need supplies? I don't know what I'll need, and I don't have any cash on me. And something tells me my debit card is basically useless here..."
"What's a debit card?" Kass asked, holding up her quill and notebook once more.
"Now's not a good time, Kass. Later." David said. "I guess we just go on up to the academy and figure things out there."

The two of them continued up towards the academy, following closely behind a wolf and, assuming David wasn't hallucinating, a sentient tornado made of glitter.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Roarin wrote:"And? Was it as cool as how they said it was in the books?"

"Even. Better. Oooh Fen. Fen Fen Fen Fen! No offense but you have no idea how booooring it was back in the snow-covered boonies you called home. I mean, here. You're gonna learn to be a caster! That's awesome! I'm super jazzed and I don't care if people are staring at an etherial yelling for no reason in the middle of a crowded market! Why aren't you as excited as I am!?"
she does seem to be drawing several gazes and a few muffled laughs from the others in the crowd...
Roarin wrote:Fen could only let out a teasing sigh, picking up one of the shiny orbs in the palm of his large hand.
The pearl has a feeling like a faint humming vibration to it, but not in any range you can hear. Just at the edge of his senses.
Roarin wrote:After spending a good chunk of time dawdling about and picking up a few doodads and trinkets the duo resumed their trek towards the academy, following the wave of people making the same journey as they were.
CyberDragon wrote:"Do you think I'll need supplies? I don't know what I'll need, and I don't have any cash on me. And something tells me my debit card is basically useless here..."
"What's a debit card?" Kass asked, holding up her quill and notebook once more.
"Now's not a good time, Kass. Later." David said. "I guess we just go on up to the academy and figure things out there."

The two of them continued up towards the academy, following closely behind a wolf and, assuming David wasn't hallucinating, a sentient tornado made of glitter.
The main doors open into a hallway with high ceilings, atleast three stories with the halls of the second and third floors being split in half and held up by ornate columns, save for where bridge like walkways connect the two sides.
the path forks here. The others wearing uniforms seem to be splitting up and heading down the left and right halls, some scaling spiral stairways to the upper floors, while those without are mainly heading forward, stopping at a small table and then heading through open doors into what looks like an auditorium.

- - -
Deske wrote:"Mage's academy..." Tom stared at the Academy for a few seconds longer before turning back to the lizard, "Do they take outside entrants or is it only for the upper class who can afford it?" He glanced at the people who'd been behind him in line, doing a double take when he saw David, though he tried to quickly ratchet his gaze back onto the lizardman.
"Used to be you needed a sponsor from one of the guilds or houses to get in, but the current headmaster did away with that. heard he's even opening the door to non-citizens this year." the reptile noticeably has to stop himself short of punctuating that statement with a derisive huff, remembering his audience. instead he turns his attention to the next traveler.
GrimD@rk8290 wrote:One of the arrival desks was approached by a cloaked fox, though her hood was down as she held her papers to be looked over for inspection. "So this is where you sign up for the Academy..." Her blue eyes looked around. She put a paw into her pocket pulled out the proper papers and hoped all her paperwork was in order.

"From House Lidawn." She mentioned, hoping her family crest had checked out. Far from her confident self, the fox seemed a bit nervous today.
And promptly straightened up. Lidawn might be a minor house with relatively small holdings but it was still a House. "Of course Lady Lidawn. I hope the journey was pleasant? Everything seems to be in order." He says stiffly, his words having a formal tone to them that hadn't been present before, noting her in the log and returning her documents. "Academy registration is in the main tower just cross the market. Enjoy your stay in the Empire."
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Buster wrote: And promptly straightened up. Lidawn might be a minor house with relatively small holdings but it was still a House. "Of course Lady Lidawn. I hope the journey was pleasant? Everything seems to be in order." He says stiffly, his words having a formal tone to them that hadn't been present before, noting her in the log and returning her documents. "Academy registration is in the main tower just cross the market. Enjoy your stay in the Empire."
"The ride here was pleasant one, thank you. I assume I don't need an escort?" She hinted her dislike of being treated like...nobility, but realized it was only common courtesy. She happily took back her papers, and placed them back inside her pocket. Her gloves were black, stopping at just the wrist, and etched on each were runes.

Her familiar however had reared his ugly head. "Is this where we do the thing now? Are we going on another adventure?" Dusk circled around and chased his tail in a silly fashion before placing his shadowy self right next to her.

"Yes Dusk...of course." A soft smile crossed Hope's lips as she gave her familiar a small pat on the head.
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Two figures were walking through the quickly emptying market. One, a short Laurae Rou spoke to the other, a Kigrei Rou looking Ethereal made of chunks of what looked like crystal or glass. "I bet most of the shops here hiked their prices up a little."

The Ethereal stood lazily by his charge and shrugged. "Their funeral. The intelligent move would be to undercut the hike with old stock on sale. Or even just a smaller hike with new stock. A price war would engage either way."

The light gray Laurae shrugged. "True, but with all the hustle and bustle and demand for the start of the academy, plus with so many newcomers guaranteed to be coming this year, it's basically a paradise for a lucrative con or two. In the end, coming prepared no doubt saved us a headache." She said, patting a satchel she was carrying.

"Still, twould have been good practice for you, my dear Sylas, to have a duel of words and wits over the price of parchment."

That earned the ethereal an eye roll from Sylas. "Forgive me for saving up my energy for the Academy Sinbel." Her own retort merely earned her a lazy shrug. Despite it all Sylas had an excited, if nervous grin on her face, as the two made their way towards the Academy proper.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Alright... Fen.

Yeah?

Don’t look now but...

Buuut.

“I think there’s an alien walking right behind us.”

The canine, who had been following the un-uniformed crowd began to turn his head when a paper-thin metallic hand pressed against the side of his face.

Psst! I said don’t look!”

But how can I-

Vi’s form swirled around Fen’rus’s head, coalescing into a small metallic figure of one of the pantherkin standing on the tip of one of his ears. “He seems dangerous, I can feel it coming off of him, something that makes me all tingly and jittery. But like in a really cool and weird and nice and- hey what the heck are you doing!”

The eitherial fell off, dispersing into an amorphous cloud as Fen turned abruptly around to face David, stopping a good ten or twenty feet from the entrance of the auditorium.

Hey there. Sorry to bother you.” The tall snow-furred wolf smiled gently down at the human. “But I was wondering, do you mind if my friend says hello? She’s been bugging me about it since she spotted you, but she can be...”. Fen glanced over at a faint silhouette of a figure that looked to be peeking over his shoulder.
A bit shy.

Ref Ref!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:The main doors open into a hallway with high ceilings, atleast three stories with the halls of the second and third floors being split in half and held up by ornate columns, save for where bridge like walkways connect the two sides.
the path forks here. The others wearing uniforms seem to be splitting up and heading down the left and right halls, some scaling spiral stairways to the upper floors, while those without are mainly heading forward, stopping at a small table and then heading through open doors into what looks like an auditorium.
David and Kass continued along their way, until they and the pair they had been following had stopped at the table themselves. David was just looking at whatever it was the people in the crowd had stopped there for when...
Roarin wrote:Alright... Fen.

Yeah?

Don’t look now but...

Buuut.

“I think there’s an alien walking right behind us.”

The canine, who had been following the un-uniformed crowd began to turn his head when a paper-thin metallic hand pressed against the side of his face.

Psst! I said don’t look!”

But how can I-

Vi’s form swirled around Fen’rus’s head, coalescing into a small metallic figure of one of the pantherkin standing on the tip of one of his ears. “He seems dangerous, I can feel it coming off of him, something that makes me all tingly and jittery. But like in a really cool and weird and nice and- hey what the heck are you doing!”

The eitherial fell off, dispersing into an amorphous cloud as Fen turned abruptly around to face David, stopping a good ten or twenty feet from the entrance of the auditorium.

Hey there. Sorry to bother you.” The tall snow-furred wolf smiled gently down at the human. “But I was wondering, do you mind if my friend says hello? She’s been bugging me about it since she spotted you, but she can be...”. Fen glanced over at a faint silhouette of a figure that looked to be peeking over his shoulder.
A bit shy.
"Huh?" David said, stupidly and distractedly. He shifted uncomfortably. "Oh... I don't-" he started, but was interrupted by a pat on the shoulder.

"Of course your friend can say hello!" Kassalya answered for him. David were about to protest when she leaned down and hissed in his ear. "Ethereals can't hurt you. They can't even touch you. Besides, talking with someone just as shy as you are might do you some good and help get rid of some of this paranoia of yours." She returned to her previous position and let go of David's arm.

David sighed. "I suppose there's no harm in it." he said, shrugging.

Kass rolled her eyes. "David is also really shy around new people. And, naturally, he's surrounded by new people all the time now."
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Noticing, in his peripheral vision, that the other human was trying very hard to avoid his gaze, Tom instead decided to focus on the school, which wasn't that hard. "A school that I don't need to pour all my benders into..." He turned his grin to the lizard, "Thank you for letting me bother you with questions, sir. Guess I'd better move out of your day though. You've probably got more people to tend to." He gave the lizardman a small wave and headed towards the Academy. Nearly getting sidetracked multiple times by the mana pearls, books, quills that were of a far higher quality than anything he'd ever seen, he nonetheless quickly made his way to the front doors and to the line of people in front of a desk that he hoped was an enrollment desk.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Deske wrote:Noticing, in his peripheral vision, that the other human was trying very hard to avoid his gaze, Tom instead decided to focus on the school, which wasn't that hard. "A school that I don't need to pour all my benders into..." He turned his grin to the lizard, "Thank you for letting me bother you with questions, sir. Guess I'd better move out of your day though. You've probably got more people to tend to." He gave the lizardman a small wave and headed towards the Academy. Nearly getting sidetracked multiple times by the mana pearls, books, quills that were of a far higher quality than anything he'd ever seen, he nonetheless quickly made his way to the front doors and to the line of people in front of a desk that he hoped was an enrollment desk.
the reptile doesn't actually respond to that, his attention on someone else at the moment.
GrimD@rk8290 wrote:"The ride here was pleasant one, thank you. I assume I don't need an escort?" She hinted her dislike of being treated like...nobility, but realized it was only common courtesy. She happily took back her papers, and placed them back inside her pocket. Her gloves were black, stopping at just the wrist, and etched on each were runes.
"Only if one is wanted, the streets of our fair city are more than safe." he answers back, hoping he read her intentions right.

- - - - -

this close those who can read the language would notice the table split into an area for those who had already registered, and one for late registrations.

a lavender haired black Laurae Rou who had previously appeared to be one of the students takes this moment to slip out the main doors. Still a bit frustrated from her long chat with her old friend, she's focused more on the crowd behind her and getting to the docks quickly without being recognized, than on the stranger unnoticed in front of her. at least, until her balance got in the way and made a mess of things. letting out a surprised yelp and toppling toards Sylas.

"Sorry..." the cat mutters, trying get back to her feet and praying she didn't hurt her accidental victim. From her style of clothes, and the size of her pack, she's clearly from the northmost province, Frostreach, and getting ready for a long trip.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

CyberDragon wrote:"Huh?" David said, stupidly and distractedly. He shifted uncomfortably. "Oh... I don't-" he started, but was interrupted by a pat on the shoulder.

"Of course your friend can say hello!" Kassalya answered for him. David were about to protest when she leaned down and hissed in his ear. "Ethereals can't hurt you. They can't even touch you. Besides, talking with someone just as shy as you are might do you some good and help get rid of some of this paranoia of yours." She returned to her previous position and let go of David's arm.

David sighed. "I suppose there's no harm in it." he said, shrugging.

Kass rolled her eyes. "David is also really shy around new people. And, naturally, he's surrounded by new people all the time now."
"I'm not a shy person!" The metallic apparition seemed to harrumph as she floated from behind the large wolf and out into the open. "And I didn't say I wanted to umm..." The etherial paused as she floated closer to David. If the human looked close enough, connecting all the glimmering bits into a hazy constellation, he'd be able to make out the faint figure of a small laurae, her hands behind her back, fidgeting a bit from side to side.

"H-hey, ah. Hello there..." She mumbled, almost a whisper.

"I think she said something about you being really cool." Fen'rus smiled, leaning in.

"ShutupI'mgettingtothat jeeeez..." She swatted a ghostly hand at the wolf. "Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and get a closer look at you and like... your whole mana overload deal. Oh! I'm Viriathus by the way. But you can call me Vi." She gave a small wave to David as Fen'rus inched around the two towards Kass.

"Nice to see her making friends already." He whispered to the lizard. "It's one less thing I have to worry about. I'm Fen by the way." He extended a large hand out to Kassalya. "I'm assuming you're here for the Academy as well?"

Ref Ref!
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Buster wrote: "Only if one is wanted, the streets of our fair city are more than safe." he answers back, hoping he read her intentions right.
"Well I think you kindly for your time, I must head to Academy now and sign up...Dusk? Dusk?" She looked around, wondering where her ethereal shadowy familiar had run off too. Seeing him run off though, towards an ethereal that looked to be with their partner a Lunae by the look it...oh fun.
Roarin wrote:
"I'm not a shy person!" The metallic apparition seemed to harrumph as she floated from behind the large wolf and out into the open. "And I didn't say I wanted to umm..." The etherial paused as she floated closer to David. If the human looked close enough, connecting all the glimmering bits into a hazy constellation, he'd be able to make out the faint figure of a small laurae, her hands behind her back, fidgeting a bit from side to side.

"I think she said something about you being really cool." Fen'rus smiled, leaning in.

"ShutupI'mgettingtothat jeeeez..." She swatted a ghostly hand at the wolf. "Anyways, I just wanted to say hi and get a closer look at you and like... your whole mana overload deal. Oh! I'm Viriathus by the way. But you can call me Vi." She gave a small wave to David as Fen'rus inched around the two towards Kass.

"Nice to see her making friends already." He whispered to the lizard. "It's one less thing I have to worry about. I'm Fen by the way." He extended a large hand out to Kassalya. "I'm assuming you're here for the Academy as well?"
"Oh oh, look! Shiny. Hi, I'm Dusk..." The doggo familiar made of shadows looked at the more shiny ethereal with great interest, his red eyes and tail wagging rather profusely.

"Dusk leave them alone can't you see they're busy? Besides, we need to get to the Academy, remember? Registration is today." She said as she had finally caught up to her ethereal, the noble Fenrae looked over at the Lunrae and the.....human?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Roarin wrote:"I'm not a shy person!" The metallic apparition seemed to harrumph as she floated from behind the large wolf and out into the open. "And I didn't say I wanted to umm..." The etherial paused as she floated closer to David. If the human looked close enough, connecting all the glimmering bits into a hazy constellation, he'd be able to make out the faint figure of a small laurae, her hands behind her back, fidgeting a bit from side to side.

Kass held a hand to her mouth to hide her snickering. Even David seemed to be struggling not to laugh. "Uh... Hi, Vi. Good to meet you. I'm David." The human said.

"And I'm Kassalya." Kass said to both the wolf and the ethereal. "But people just call me Kass."
Roarin wrote:"Nice to see her making friends already." He whispered to the lizard. "It's one less thing I have to worry about. I'm Fen by the way." He extended a large hand out to Kassalya. "I'm assuming you're here for the Academy as well?"
"Nope!" Kass said, a little too cheerfully and shaking Fen's hand. "I'm from the explorer's guild. I'm here to basically study David and make sure he adjusts to the different environment. He's caught the interest of the guild for a lot of reasons, but mostly his magic. He's done some pretty advanced stuff without any training, or even any visible runes."

"Don't say that, please... I have no idea what I'm doing, and I don't want to get stuck in an advanced class because they mistook me for experienced..." David said. "I don't know how I do all of the stuff I do. It just happens. That's why I wanted to try the academy. I want to see if I can control it better."

"Right, right. Sorry, David." Kass said. "The guild's also interested in him because of some of the things he's said about his world. Really interesting stuff, but probably best to ask him about it if he's feeling up to talking."

"Not particularly..." David mumbled.
GrimD@rk8290 wrote:"Oh oh, look! Shiny. Hi, I'm Dusk..." The doggo familiar made of shadows looked at the more shiny ethereal with great interest, his red eyes and tail wagging rather profusely.

"Dusk leave them alone can't you see they're busy? Besides, we need to get to the Academy, remember? Registration is today." She said as she had finally caught up to her ethereal, the noble Fenrae looked over at the Lunrae and the.....human?
David let out a small shout of surprise when the shadow dog suddenly appeared behind him. The keen of eye might notice the inside of David's mouth was glowing blue like his eyes were, and there was a lot of static in the air.

"Well, you'll have a short trip from here!" Kass laughed a bit. She pointed at the desk in front of them. "There's the registration desk. David's already been registered by the guild. Looks like late registration is on the other side of the table."
-Champion Motto

GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

CyberDragon wrote:
David let out a small shout of surprise when the shadow dog suddenly appeared behind him. The keen of eye might notice the inside of David's mouth was glowing blue like his eyes were, and there was a lot of static in the air.

"Well, you'll have a short trip from here!" Kass laughed a bit. She pointed at the desk in front of them. "There's the registration desk. David's already been registered by the guild. Looks like late registration is on the other side of the table."
Apparently, Hope had been so engrossed with chasing and finding her familiar that he'd apparently led her right to the registration desk. Dusk, whose eyes were red ,just gave Hope the biggest and smuggest grin he could muster.

He didn't even need to say anything as Hope at that moment felt incredibly stupid as she blushed profusely at the news and on top of that she was late! Hope hated the thought of late. "Wait I'm late?" She asked David, perking a brow before rushing over towards the registration desk.

"I would like to register to join the Academy." She looked back at David and the others while Dusk was still talking to the more...metallicy glittery ethereal.

"Sorry. I'm Hope, what's your name?" She asked trying to make small talk.
Last edited by GrimD@rk8290 on Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

CyberDragon wrote:Kass held a hand to her mouth to hide her snickering. Even David seemed to be struggling not to laugh. "Uh... Hi, Vi. Good to meet you. I'm David." The human said.

"And I'm Kassalya." Kass said to both the wolf and the ethereal. "But people just call me Kass."
Roarin wrote:"Nice to see her making friends already." He whispered to the lizard. "It's one less thing I have to worry about. I'm Fen by the way." He extended a large hand out to Kassalya. "I'm assuming you're here for the Academy as well?"
"Nope!" Kass said, a little too cheerfully and shaking Fen's hand. "I'm from the explorer's guild. I'm here to basically study David and make sure he adjusts to the different environment. He's caught the interest of the guild for a lot of reasons, but mostly his magic. He's done some pretty advanced stuff without any training, or even any visible runes."
"The explorer's guild? No kidding." The wolf looked impressed. "I remember someone from the explorer's guild visiting my village a year or so back. She stopped by to take some quick notes on us northern lunae before heading somewhere further towards the ice caps. I'm not sure if she found what she was looking for, but remember that she seemed to really love what she was doing. Guess that's a shared trait among you explorers."
CyberDragon wrote:"Don't say that, please... I have no idea what I'm doing, and I don't want to get stuck in an advanced class because they mistook me for experienced..." David said. "I don't know how I do all of the stuff I do. It just happens. That's why I wanted to try the academy. I want to see if I can control it better."

"Right, right. Sorry, David." Kass said. "The guild's also interested in him because of some of the things he's said about his world. Really interesting stuff, but probably best to ask him about it if he's feeling up to talking."

"Not particularly..." David mumbled.
"Woah, from an alien planet and you're just... a natural magnet for mana... What are the odds?" Vi mumbled, floating in a slow circular motion around David. "Well if you wanna know anything about magic, or mana, or etherials feel free to umm, just ask me whenever. I'd loo- like. Like. No pressure. To talk to you more about it sometime. I've never done any official research or anything. But I've done enough reading to be kiiiind of an expert."

GrimD@rk8290 wrote:"Oh oh, look! Shiny. Hi, I'm Dusk..." The doggo familiar made of shadows looked at the more shiny ethereal with great interest, his red eyes and tail wagging rather profusely.

Vi's hazy form paused in her orbit as she noticed the shadowy canine make their way up to them. "Wow... hello there Dusk. I am Viriathus." The haze of shimmering glitter began to settle somewhere in between the David and Dusk as she looked from one, and then the other.

"Feeeen!"

"Yeah?"

"There's too many interesting people here for my attention span to focus on one at a time!"

"Hah!" The wolf chuckled before looking back over at the desk. He thought he heard someone talking about registration, which. As the responsible member of the party he should probably do. "Pardon me Miss Kassalya, but I should probably register us in before it's too late. Could you keep an eye on Vi for me?" Fen'rus began making his way over to the desk as he fished out a letter from his pocket. The invitation that made the duo travel all the way to this academy in the first place.

Ref Ref!
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

The Laurae toppling her way startled Sylas, causing her to fall back and a few pieces of parchment to pop out of her satchel. "Ah! No, no, I'm sorry, I should have been paying better attention." She said as she scrambled to pick up the few parchment that escaped her satchel while Sinbel lazily eyed the individual in front of them. "I hope I didn't cause you to break anything." She said, nodding towards the others back, "I know how annoying it can be to unpack a bag to check for damage." Sylas quickly straightened up, realizing she had not introduced herself to the stranger, which was quite rude, and tilted forward in a small bow. "Sylas Khtor, at your service." She said with a genuine smile while Sinbel simply chuckled.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Tom stepped up to the desk and, having watched the person or two in front of him, picked up what he assumed to be registration forms. He flipped through them for a second, decidedly confused on what exactly he was supposed to be filling out and where. He gave a dismissive shrug, opting to figure it out as he went along and turned around to find a place to fill the forms out. As he did he almost ran straight into another wolf who'd lined up behind him. He quickly stopped himself and stepped back, "Ah, my apologies. I wasn't looking where I was going, trying to figure out these forms, you see. Never was much good at reading or writing and the script is just so different," he said, letting out a slightly nervous chuckle.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Roarin wrote:"The explorer's guild? No kidding." The wolf looked impressed. "I remember someone from the explorer's guild visiting my village a year or so back. She stopped by to take some quick notes on us northern lunae before heading somewhere further towards the ice caps. I'm not sure if she found what she was looking for, but remember that she seemed to really love what she was doing. Guess that's a shared trait among you explorers."
"You bet! Why wouldn't anyone love this job?" Kass said, enthusiastically. "We get to go places we'd never get to go to, do things we wouldn't otherwise, and meet all kinds of people! We get to travel the world and see the sights! Heck, I'm traveling with a real life alien right now. Like, from space!"

"Proxima Centauri B, actually." David interjected. "I've never been to space."

"Right! What he said!"
Roarin wrote:"Woah, from an alien planet and you're just... a natural magnet for mana... What are the odds?" Vi mumbled, floating in a slow circular motion around David. "Well if you wanna know anything about magic, or mana, or etherials feel free to umm, just ask me whenever. I'd loo- like. Like. No pressure. To talk to you more about it sometime. I've never done any official research or anything. But I've done enough reading to be kiiiind of an expert."
"Well... A magnet is one way of putting it, I suppose..." David said. "Actually... I do have a question. I don't know if it's rude to ask, but Ethereals aren't really a thing back on my home planet. In fact, none of really any of the kinds of people here are. What... what are Ethereals? I mean, you look like you're made of glitter, which is actually kind of appropriate for you, all things considered, but... last I checked, glitter isn't alive." David asked. "I mean, I've, um, seen things that are alive even though they're not made of living cells, so it's not so crazy to me, but I am curious."
Roarin wrote:Vi's hazy form paused in her orbit as she noticed the shadowy canine make their way up to them. "Wow... hello there Dusk. I am Viriathus." The haze of shimmering glitter began to settle somewhere in between the David and Dusk as she looked from one, and then the other.

"Feeeen!"

"Yeah?"

"There's too many interesting people here for my attention span to focus on one at a time!"

"Hah!" The wolf chuckled before looking back over at the desk. He thought he heard someone talking about registration, which. As the responsible member of the party he should probably do. "Pardon me Miss Kassalya, but I should probably register us in before it's too late. Could you keep an eye on Vi for me?" Fen'rus began making his way over to the desk as he fished out a letter from his pocket. The invitation that made the duo travel all the way to this academy in the first place.
"Of course! We have a bit of extra time since we don't have to register. Go ahead and get things taken care of, I'll watch these two." She said, pulling out her notebook once more.
GrimD@rk8290 wrote:Apparently, Hope had been so engrossed with chasing and finding her familiar that he'd apparently led her right to the registration desk. Dusk, whose eyes were red ,just gave Hope the biggest and smuggest grin he could muster.

He didn't even need to say anything as Hope at that moment felt incredibly stupid as she blushed profusely at the news and on top of that she was late! Hope hated the thought of late. "Wait I'm late?" She asked David, perking a brow before rushing over towards the registration desk.

"I would like to register to join the Academy." She looked back at David and the others while Dusk was still talking to the more...metallicy glittery ethereal.

David looked from Vi over to the vixen speaking to him. "Oh... Um..." She was new, and so his shyness was starting to get to him again. "I-I'm David... What's, um... what's your name?"
Deske wrote:Tom stepped up to the desk and, having watched the person or two in front of him, picked up what he assumed to be registration forms. He flipped through them for a second, decidedly confused on what exactly he was supposed to be filling out and where. He gave a dismissive shrug, opting to figure it out as he went along and turned around to find a place to fill the forms out. As he did he almost ran straight into another wolf who'd lined up behind him. He quickly stopped himself and stepped back, "Ah, my apologies. I wasn't looking where I was going, trying to figure out these forms, you see. Never was much good at reading or writing and the script is just so different," he said, letting out a slightly nervous chuckle.
Kassalya turned her head at the sound of the new wolf's collision with Fen'rus. "Careful! Man, it's getting crowded at this table..." She said, shaking her head a bit.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:

The registrations are apparently manned by two very similar looking Laurae sha. one of whom looks up from what he's working on and waves momentarily. if it weren't for one having red dyed bangs while the other had blue, it would be impossible to tell the two gold striped white cats apart.
GrimD@rk8290 wrote:Apparently, Hope had been so engrossed with chasing and finding her familiar that he'd apparently led her right to the registration desk. Dusk, whose eyes were red ,just gave Hope the biggest and smuggest grin he could muster.

overhearing the conversation, the Sha quirks his black beak into the closest approximation he can of a friendly smile, "Not per say, See with the old system your Guild or House sponsor would register for you well ahead," he explains, gesturing at Kass and David when he says this, "This desk is for well, everyone else."
GrimD@rk8290 wrote:"I would like to register to join the Academy." She looked back at David and the others while Dusk was still talking to the more...metallicy glittery ethereal.

"I'm Karsos, this is Tarsos." The feline answers cheerfully his voice having an almost chirp like sound accenting the words, that the other one seems to roll his eyes at. quick enough he's found the right form and passed it to her. the first part is questions about her, then an optional section for an existing ethereal partner, with a footnote that they'll try to find one for you if you're alone, the other two thirds seem to be tailored to finding out if you have any prior experience with magic and if so how far along you are.
Deske wrote:Tom stepped up to the desk and, having watched the person or two in front of him, picked up what he assumed to be registration forms. He flipped through them for a second, decidedly confused on what exactly he was supposed to be filling out and where. He gave a dismissive shrug, opting to figure it out as he went along and turned around to find a place to fill the forms out. As he did he almost ran straight into another wolf who'd lined up behind him. He quickly stopped himself and stepped back, "Ah, my apologies. I wasn't looking where I was going, trying to figure out these forms, you see. Never was much good at reading or writing and the script is just so different," he said, letting out a slightly nervous chuckle.
Roarin wrote:He thought he heard someone talking about registration, which. As the responsible member of the party he should probably do. "Pardon me Miss Kassalya, but I should probably register us in before it's too late. Could you keep an eye on Vi for me?" Fen'rus began making his way over to the desk as he fished out a letter from his pocket. The invitation that made the duo travel all the way to this academy in the first place.
CyberDragon wrote:Kassalya turned her head at the sound of the new wolf's collision with Fen'rus.
after passing Tom his forms, and taking a look at the invitation fen had, the other cat gets up and goes over to the other side where the students already registered are being admitted, and takes a look through something before returning. "Uh, you're already in here, that letter was sent by your sponsor as an offer." the cat who doesn't sound quite as squeaky explains as he sits back down.
Neon Icy Wings wrote:The Laurae toppling her way startled Sylas, causing her to fall back and a few pieces of parchment to pop out of her satchel. "Ah! No, no, I'm sorry, I should have been paying better attention." She said as she scrambled to pick up the few parchment that escaped her satchel while Sinbel lazily eyed the individual in front of them. "I hope I didn't cause you to break anything." She said, nodding towards the others back, "I know how annoying it can be to unpack a bag to check for damage." Sylas quickly straightened up, realizing she had not introduced herself to the stranger, which was quite rude, and tilted forward in a small bow. "Sylas Khtor, at your service." She said with a genuine smile while Sinbel simply chuckled.
"More worried about Soqhu thinking something happened while he wasn't guarding me..." she mutters to herself, scowling. brushing any dust or dirt off herself as she gets back to her feet.
"Rua Natanya." she answers back almost automatically.

"I should get going, I don't want to miss my boat..." she says, heading off not noticing the signet ring with the Arcanas crest on it she inadvertently left behind.
Last edited by Buster on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Roarin wrote: Vi's hazy form paused in her orbit as she noticed the shadowy canine make their way up to them. "Wow... hello there Dusk. I am Viriathus." The haze of shimmering glitter began to settle somewhere in between the David and Dusk as she looked from one, and then the other.

"Feeeen!"

"Yeah?"

"Virithus....Virathus?" Dusk struggled to say the glittery forms name out loud, as he blushed. "Can't I just call you Vira instead?" Dusk pranced around in circles around Viriathus as he seemed rather interested in her giving her a sniff before pawing at her sparkly demeanor.

"Are you like me? You look pretty!" Dusk blurted out loud while Hope was handed a registration form.
CyberDragon wrote: David looked from Vi over to the vixen speaking to him. "Oh... Um..." She was new, and so his shyness was starting to get to him again. "I-I'm David... What's, um... what's your name?"
Hope raised a brow as she was finishing her form. Were blue eyes that glowed like the ethereal plane normal? She couldn't tell so she spoke to him normally regardless. "Name's Hope. I'm not from around here, and by your shy demeanor I can tell you feel out of place as well. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is overwhelmed with everything. This is my first time in this country." Hope mentioned to David as she was idly filling out her registration form, looking over at her familiar making friends already.

"Seems my familiar doesn't need to be watched after all, he seems pretty preoccupied so that's something at least."
Buster wrote:
"I'm Karsos, this is Tarsos." The feline answers cheerfully his voice having an almost chirp like sound accenting the words, that the other one seems to roll his eyes at. quick enough he's found the right form and passed it to her. the first part is questions about her, then an optional section for an existing ethereal partner, with a footnote that they'll try to find one for you if you're alone, the other two thirds seem to be tailored to finding out if you have any prior experience with magic and if so how far along you are.
She pleasantly looked behind her giving a small token of appreciation. "Thank you, both of you. I'll go fill out this form right away. She began to fill it out and noted that her familiar was Dusk, the shadowy dog familiar that at the moment was pre occupied playing with someone else's familiar. She began to answer questions about her and her House from which she came, House Lidawn, and her experience with magic given her own ability to cast magic. She sadly was born with the ability but it didn't come into fruition until about her preteen years. Overall she claimed she'd been having the ability to cast light magic since she was 8, but noted hit was hard to place her actual expereince and potential.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

GrimD@rk8290 wrote:Hope raised a brow as she was finishing her form. Were blue eyes that glowed like the ethereal plane normal? She couldn't tell so she spoke to him normally regardless. "Name's Hope. I'm not from around here, and by your shy demeanor I can tell you feel out of place as well. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is overwhelmed with everything. This is my first time in this country." Hope mentioned to David as she was idly filling out her registration form, looking over at her familiar making friends already.
"Um... Well, you're sort of right." David said, keeping an eye on the two childlike ethereals. "But I have a feeling it's not quite the same." He said, his voice suddenly sounding uneven and rough, like he was vibrating or speaking through static. All the while, the inside of his mouth flashed blue with every syllable.

"David?" Kass looked at him in alarm. "Are you OK?"

"No, I..." David stopped talking and cleared his throat, holding up a finger in pause while he got things under control. "I'm overcharged." He said, his voice returning to normal. "It really doesn't feel great."
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Hes the outsider with the unstable electric affinity right?" Karsos asks, sounding concerned "The one the explorers guild sponsored? you've still got some time before orientation for new students starts, if he needs a safe place to discharge, you can use one of the training fields, go that way till you see a door that says east yard above it."
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Sylas gave a light nod as Rua passed and seemed content to start moving towards the Academy once more when she felt her paw knock something away. Curiosity piqued she followed it and picked up the ring. Her eyes widened at the sight of the crest, while she didn't memorize every important crest or insignia she knew most things like rings, that were very specialized were best to be treated as 'very important.' She immediately about faced and tried to catch up with the Laurae she shared a quick moment with, as Sinbel slithered alongside her, "Not going to keep it as a souvenir?"

"I like my hide not flayed thank you." She muttered before calling out in a clear voice, as she made her way towards where Rua went, "Miss Rua! You dropped your ring!" While she did worry about getting into the Academy late, she felt compelled to return the ring post haste. If only to avoid an unhappy customer. And avoid being mistaken for a thief.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Fen'rus made a motion with his paws that looked something like jazz-hands, "No need to apologize, no harm done here." He smiled down at the... hmm. Another alien? "Well it's glad to see someone else in the same boat." The canine chuckled, "I'm not too partial to writing or books either, but I'm guessing your reasoning is better than mine." He stuck out a large paw, "I'm Fen'rus by the way, Fen'rus Alabaster."
Deske wrote:"Virithus....Virathus?" Dusk struggled to say the glittery forms name out loud, as he blushed. "Can't I just call you Vira instead?" Dusk pranced around in circles around Viriathus as he seemed rather interested in her giving her a sniff before pawing at her sparkly demeanor.

"Are you like me? You look pretty!" Dusk blurted out loud while Hope was handed a registration form.
A few particles of shiny glitter tickled Dusk's nose as he gave her a sniff, her tiny glimmers carrying the smell of metal mixed with the scent of pine and leaves. When he pawed at her his limb simply swished gently through her form, making he ghostly image waver and sway a bit.
"Heh, kind of! I mean in some way, but totally different in other ways." The storm of glitter condensed into a more solid form of a laure that stood perched just above Dusk's nose. "And I guess, hmm. No one's called me Vira before. Most stick to Vi or Viriathus, or I just don't give them my name."
Buster wrote:"Hes the outsider with the unstable electric affinity right?" Karsos asks, sounding concerned "The one the explorers guild sponsored? you've still got some time before orientation for new students starts, if he needs a safe place to discharge, you can use one of the training fields, go that way till you see a door that says east yard above it."
"You're gonna whaaaaat?!" The etherial swivels around to face David and Karsos. "David David David, the next words out of your mouth better be, 'Hey Vi, wanna come with me and see something really cool?'"

Ref Ref!
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

CyberDragon wrote:
"Um... Well, you're sort of right." David said, keeping an eye on the two childlike ethereals. "But I have a feeling it's not quite the same." He said, his voice suddenly sounding uneven and rough, like he was vibrating or speaking through static. All the while, the inside of his mouth flashed blue with every syllable.

"David?" Kass looked at him in alarm. "Are you OK?"

"No, I..." David stopped talking and cleared his throat, holding up a finger in pause while he got things under control. "I'm overcharged." He said, his voice returning to normal. "It really doesn't feel great."

Hope had just turned in her form, back towards Karsos before she turned to look over at David, a sense of worry in her eye. "Wait is that normal? Should I be worried?" She said as she walked over towards David and his ethereal. She looked down at her gloves, a grim reminder of her past...a past where she at one point didn't have control of her magic. Her hands trembled if only for a moment before she looked up at David with empathetic resolve.
Buster wrote:"Hes the outsider with the unstable electric affinity right?" Karsos asks, sounding concerned "The one the explorers guild sponsored? you've still got some time before orientation for new students starts, if he needs a safe place to discharge, you can use one of the training fields, go that way till you see a door that says east yard above it."
Of course Hope's ears perked at the word "training fields" and since she also wanted to make sure David was okay she looked back at Karsos and then back to David. "Would it be okay if I come with you, David? To make sure you're alright? I may not understand everything you are going through, but I can understand how you are feeling. Can I help?" The vixen seemed very sympathetic. There was a tone of worry and excitement in her voice as she looked at David as she spoke, her tail also twitched too and fro in excitement as she gave him a soft smile.

"I've also wanted to train, and hearing this place has a training ground brings my heart great joy as well."
Roarin wrote:
A few particles of shiny glitter tickled Dusk's nose as he gave her a sniff, her tiny glimmers carrying the smell of metal mixed with the scent of pine and leaves. When he pawed at her his limb simply swished gently through her form, making he ghostly image waver and sway a bit.
"Heh, kind of! I mean in some way, but totally different in other ways." The storm of glitter condensed into a more solid form of a laure that stood perched just above Dusk's nose. "And I guess, hmm. No one's called me Vira before. Most stick to Vi or Viriathus, or I just don't give them my name."
"Never met someone like me before. Well I mean, like you...I guess you're right, Vira." Dusk said as he happily started prancing circles around the ethereal and the smell of pine and trees actually had reminded Dusk of the forest, and he oh so loved the forest.
Roarin wrote:
"You're gonna whaaaaat?!" The etherial swivels around to face David and Karsos. "David David David, the next words out of your mouth better be, 'Hey Vi, wanna come with me and see something really cool?'"
"Take me with you, please please, please!" Dusk practically begged, rolled over, merging into his shadow on the ground only to pop up behind Hope. "I totally don't wanna miss whatever you guys are talking about, it sounds like a blast." Dusk had silly grin on his face.
Last edited by GrimD@rk8290 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Roarin wrote:
Fen'rus made a motion with his paws that looked something like jazz-hands, "No need to apologize, no harm done here." He smiled down at the... hmm. Another alien? "Well it's glad to see someone else in the same boat." The canine chuckled, "I'm not too partial to writing or books either, but I'm guessing your reasoning is better than mine." He stuck out a large paw, "I'm Fen'rus by the way, Fen'rus Alabaster."
Tom quickly checked himself over, making sure nothing had fallen out of his pockets. "I'm sure you've your reasons," Tom said, grabbing the other wolf's paw in his own and giving it a firm shake before letting go. "Interesting name, mine's Thomas Watson, pleasure to make your acquaintance." He looked around at the people still standing about before turning back to Fen'rus and gesturing to the papers, "Hrmm, maybe we can find someone who can help us fill these out, yeah?"
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Neon Icy Wings wrote:Sylas gave a light nod as Rua passed and seemed content to start moving towards the Academy once more when she felt her paw knock something away. Curiosity piqued she followed it and picked up the ring. Her eyes widened at the sight of the crest, while she didn't memorize every important crest or insignia she knew most things like rings, that were very specialized were best to be treated as 'very important.' She immediately about faced and tried to catch up with the Laurae she shared a quick moment with, as Sinbel slithered alongside her, "Not going to keep it as a souvenir?"

"I like my hide not flayed thank you." She muttered before calling out in a clear voice, as she made her way towards where Rua went, "Miss Rua! You dropped your ring!" While she did worry about getting into the Academy late, she felt compelled to return the ring post haste. If only to avoid an unhappy customer. And avoid being mistaken for a thief.
Halting mid stride rua's ears twitch and wings flair out in what is quite clearly a moment of panic conveniently acting as an air brake to let her stop and turn before she starts dashing back, she sputters out "aah, thank you, sorry." slowing to a stop just short of Sylas. holding out a hand to accept the items return.

- - - - -

seeing as tom wasn't getting much help from the others milling about, and was now talking about wandering off to look for help, Tarsos sighs, "I can read it for you if you need, but i would have thought folks coming here would realize they need to pick that up. I know it's not that common a skill, but it's going to be necessary." explains sounding frustrated, he's apparently gone through this more than once today.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"That sounds like a pretty good idea, David." Kass said, her tone insistent and worried. "You sound like you're about to pop."

David shuffled nervously. "I've got no idea what's going... going... to happen." He said, his mouth and throat sparking while he talked once more. "I usually discharge some of my mana every day. But I've been holding back since I didn't want to catch the boat on fire."

"Ah... yeah, thanks for that..."
Roarin wrote:"You're gonna whaaaaat?!" The etherial swivels around to face David and Karsos. "David David David, the next words out of your mouth better be, 'Hey Vi, wanna come with me and see something really cool?'"
"If you go with me, you'd better have a way of protecting yourself from destructive magic." David warned. "If you're really made of metal, then you're a bullseye I can't miss no matter how hard I try."
GrimD@rk8290 wrote:Hope had just turned in her form, back towards Karsos before she turned to look over at David, a sense of worry in her eye. "Wait is that normal? Should I be worried?" She said as she walked over towards David and his ethereal. She looked down at her gloves, a grim reminder of her past...a past where she at one point didn't have control of her magic. Her hands trembled if only for a moment before she looked up at David with empathetic resolve.
David looked Hope in the eyes. His own electric blue eyes flashed as sparks of energy coursed through him. "...No. It's not normal. Usually when I overcharge, it vents out of me. I've got too much of a charge now because of how long I was on that ship for that to work." He sighed, sounding like breathing into a broken microphone, then turned to Karsos. "Is there some kind of metal cage or lightning rod in the training grounds to draw the discharged electric current safely away from anything that might get damaged?" he asked.
GrimD@rk8290 wrote:Of course Hope's ears perked at the word "training fields" and since she also wanted to make sure David was okay she looked to both Karsos and David. "Would it be okay if I come with you, David? To make sure you're alright? I may not understand everything you are going through, but I can understand how you are feeling. Can I help?" The vixen seemed very sympathetic. There was a tone of worry and excitement in her voice as she looked at David as she spoke, her tail also twitched too and fro in excitement as she gave him a soft smile.

"I've also wanted to train, and hearing this place has a training ground brings my heart great joy as well."

"Take me with you, please please, please!" Dusk practically begged, rolled over, merging into his shadow on the ground only to pop up behind Hope. "I totally don't wanna miss whatever you guys are talking about, it sounds like a blast." Dusk had silly grin on his face.
"It'll be a literal one if there's nothing to focus the current." David said a bit under his breath. "Only come if you're OK with standing behind a brick wall or on the other side of the field. The whole reason I'm at this school is to learn control. In other words, I don't know how to aim and getting close to me could be dangerous."

He turned back to Karsos. "Of course, if there's a metal rod I could stick into the ground... that would make things infinitely safer."
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"There's usually a set of training targets set up. one of them might be metal." Karsos starts explaining, though seeing the amount he was straining against his own abilities, and how alarmed his companion was getting his expression shifted, "Tarsos, cover for me." he states coldly.

rapidly rounding the table, he basically picks david up, muttering something and making an odd wave with his free hand, before flapping his wings hard and skating forward on an ice path that hadn't been there a moment earlier faster than any of them could have run. "If you're coming try to keep up!"

"Why're you shouting... my nap..." the voice comes from the bag over his shoulder as something shuffles inside.
"not now."

reaching the door and pushing it open, he sets david down on the grass, "Sorry, it was starting to look like you wouldn't hold up much longer." he explains as he looks around and finds an appropriate practice target in one of the storage alcoves. bringing it out onto the field. after doing that he heads back to the door and casts another spell, causing an ice wall to jut up from the ground. David and the target on one side, himself and the exit on the other.

if they ran the others would probably arrive by the time it's solid.