Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Invisan

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by Invisan »

Shadow how old is your Computer? If its older maybe you should get a new one. Otherwise you could try to defragment the harddrive to do so click on the startbutton of windows and for win 7 or above type defrag in the search window at the bottom. It should show two results now choose the one with the longer Name. That could speed up your pc a bit if it was one of the issues.

Second try check how much space is left on c: if its above 4 GB its ok.

Third check how much tabs are open in the webbrowser of your choice. The more tabs the slower is the Browser.

Getting a Solid State Drive (SSD like a big USB Stick which can replace a normal Harddrive the more space the higher the cost though.) could also speed up your Computer if its an older one. New RAM wouldnt improve it that much. Depends on how much you currently have built in though.

@Kuro see it turned out quite well and you made yourself a head. Maybe your father didnt really approve your way but i guess since you told your parents your mom thought about ways to help you do what you would like to do.
My Fan-Fic Fox goes to Heaven (again)

Well i have a furaffinity acc now so i can upload my Fanart somewhere else then imgur ^^ Come in and find out.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sorrow: Just found out last night that Wes Craven passed away. =(
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Hmmm, now that you brought that up, I haven't actually defragged our computer in awhile now. As for how old it is, I'd say it's at least a decade since we bought it. No upgrades to its software or any of the sort during that whole ten years were bought. But we are at the moment saving up for a new computer. When that will happen, I'm not exactly sure. I'm just hoping it'll happen this year or the next, cause with how many BSOD's it's had, I don't think it'll last much longer unless we get it fixed/get a new one.

Nervous: I have PE tomorrow, and our sport for this term is swimming. I'm both excited and nervous for how it's gonna turn out tomorrow. :P
Sorrow: My parents have sorta gotten into an argument. My dad's been kinda grumpy this weekend, and my mom's not really liking all that. They didn't yell at each other or anything like that, but I can still feel that there's something off between them.
Another little Sorrow: That "feeling" has been creeping on me last night, and I can sorta feel it coming again tonight. Hopefully a good night's sleep will make it go away.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

ShadowLightning wrote:I... have no idea what you just said, but I'm gonna try asking my dad if he can get it fixed. But if I know him, he's probably gonna put it off till either or both of us just forget about it.
For what a new computer costs these days, it's probably not worth getting a decade old one fixed. First off, pretty much all of the important hardware is probably out of date. While you should still be able to put a new hard drive and/or RAM in it as far as I know, there are two problems I'm seeing:

1: RAM is about $10 a Gigabyte. Your computer probably came with 4GB since that's pretty standard for a normal computer. However, while most computers I've seen come with two slots for RAM chips, if you just buy a second chip, you HAVE to run the same ones or they may not work right. I wouldn't count on finding a second chip identical to what's in your computer easily because again, it's old.

That means to upgrade, you'd have to buy at least 6GB of RAM. So you'd be looking at $50 or $60 there for the RAM alone, even more if you decide to pay someone else to do it.

2: A quick look on Amazon seems to show that a new 1 TB HDD would cost about $50 (That's an Amazon Prime price, though I'm sure you could find similar prices if you looked around). However, that doesn't include what you need to clone your old drive to the new drive which is what you need to do to keep all of your information. I honestly have no clue as to what you need to do that or how much is costs to have someone else do it, and if your hard drive isn't full, that won't solve your problem anyway. And if you decide you don't need to clone it, you'll have to buy a new Microsoft Windows OS to put on your new Hard Drive.

Not to mention that your computer probably runs Windows XP, which is outdated and no longer supported by Micorsoft so you shouldn't keep using it anyway. To upgrade to a new version of Windows would cost about $100.

And regardless of what's actually wrong with the computer, at this point, it's not out of the question that something else will come up a month after it gets fixed and you'll have to put more money into it again. These days, it's easy to get a super basic Windows laptop for about $250 (Or even less if you catch a clearance sale at WalMart or something). While it'd be nothing special, I'd say you're just better off saving up for one rather than fixing the old one at this point.

Heck, try talking to Diss. He works at Staples and could probably help you figure out what computer your family should look into getting.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: I feel sick
More sorrow: Classes start tomorrow and I PRAY to God I don't feel like this
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

Hope you feel better soon Dayzee

Sorrow: Since im living alone for almost a year now i have to pay all the costs by myself. Seems the power this month got a bit over the limit i set for myself this month and it seems i will reach the same next month. I hope i dont have to pas much at the end of the year. Last year i was happy that i got a refund but it may happen that i have to pay something on top of the running costs this year if i keep it up like this. Only time will tell though.
The power for September will get a slight peek since i got myself a new fridge and freezer which i have to power on while my old one is still running so i wont break the coolchain and my stuff which i have in the freezer wont unfreeze.

Joy: My washing machine might arrive the day after tomorrow or the day after that day :)

Well i have a furaffinity acc now so i can upload my Fanart somewhere else then imgur ^^ Come in and find out.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Feeling a bit better now
ShadowLightning

Glad you're feeling better, Amazee. Even if it is just a bit.

Joy: Had swimming today. And it was fun! :D
Another Joy: On my way to a friend's house, I bumped into one of my other old friends from high school. We didn't talk that long, but it was nice catching up a bit with him. :D
Yet Another Joy: I hung out with my friend at his house. And we had fun and stuff. :D
A little Sorrow: I may or may not start feeling pain later tonight cause of today's swimming.
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
InDaZone1219

Post by InDaZone1219 »

Sorrow: I found out yesterday that the Nintendo Wifi Service shut down (as of May 20th, 2014)
I just now got back into my Pokemon Black Version 2 and now I can't transfer
Pokemon like I used to. This also applied to Pokemon Battle Revolution on Wii.
A steady, but luminous glow of power in the dark
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Glad things are going well for you Shadow. Swimming sounds fun! Can't swim though. Ironic, considering my species...

Sorrow: Worst. Insomnia. Ever. Even with the sleeping pills, I can only get about 3 hours of sleep, and I get fatigued and cranky for the rest of the day afterwards. I don't want to play doctor and arbitrarily increase the dosage, since I'm also taking anti-depressants at the same time.

I'm really tired though from lack of quality rest. And my roommate will be the death of me: he doesn't sleep until about 5, meaning the lights will stay switched on till then. Combined with the closing of windows, it turns the room we're in into an oven, very not conducive for sleeping.

Small joy: I will only be with him for another 2 days, then I'll be back home. To have a new start in life.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Wow, sorry to hear about that Kuro... At least you get to get away from that and focus on getting better.
Nervous Joy: Just applied to my first college..!
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

kurowolfe wrote:I'm really tired though from lack of quality rest. And my roommate will be the death of me: he doesn't sleep until about 5, meaning the lights will stay switched on till then. Combined with the closing of windows, it turns the room we're in into an oven, very not conducive for sleeping.
that's a bad roommate, I just sit in the dark when my roommate wants to sleep.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: First day of class is over and it was nice
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Joy: I'm making progress in finding a new job...
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

yay , that's great to hear Sleet ^^
sorrow : kiiiind of worrying about the future at the moment .
JonnyNova

Post by JonnyNova »

Sorrow: I have this....thing that happens seemingly at complete random where sometimes when I'm trying to sleep, I get really paranoid. It's not even that I'm afraid of anything, because I know there's nothing there to be afraid of. I'm just terrified of nothing in particular, like fear is the only thing I can feel. It happened last night for the first time in a while, although it wasn't as bad as it sometimes gets.
*purrs loudly*

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'm not a physician or psychologist, but that sounds like a panic attack.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Also not a psychiatrist or similar profession, but seems more like an anxiety attack to me. Those you get a feeling of intense wariness - constantly on edge, and an innate feeling that something just isn't right, but you can never put your finger on exactly why. Panic attacks tend to be more... full blown. You actively feel like you're in danger, adrenaline rushing everywhere, heart beating out of your chest, starting to hyperventilate and get this intense feeling that you're going to faint, collapse or even die. Having gone through a period when I was suffering through both, the former is greatly discomforting, the latter is downright excruciating. Whatever the case, definitely hope you feel better.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:that's a bad roommate, I just sit in the dark when my roommate wants to sleep.
This is what I usually do too, except that I have my lappy on at the lowest brightness settings. It's aggravating really.

I really don't know what to say Jonny. It does sound like an anxiety attack. Have you talked to any professionals about it?

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
JonnyNova

Post by JonnyNova »

I haven't, kuro, but that's something I really should do soon. Based on what CosmicCoyote said it's definitely closer to an anxiety attack than a full-on panic attack.
*purrs loudly*

HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

Good, that's a silver lining at least. Panic attacks are not fun. I find them extremely frustrating.

Joy: I've managed to succeed in a full body sketch ^.^
My tree now has a café in it. Yay?
Hlaoroo wrote:In Soviet Russia, TreeInAHound!

RP Character(s)
Albert Grant, Sunset Plateau
Larkin Dewolfe, Chivalry Residences
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My boyfriend is taking me out to eat for my birthday!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Joy: After a long struggle with materials not working the way they were supposed to, the mould for my Douglas mask is finally taking shape. ^^

Joy: Most of the sewing on the Douglas suit is finished. Just a couple more parts to sew on (arm, tail, and zipper), some shaving, add a head and collar, and it will be done. :D

Sorrow: I'm already procrastinating my homework. :roll:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

JonnyNova wrote:I haven't, kuro, but that's something I really should do soon. Based on what CosmicCoyote said it's definitely closer to an anxiety attack than a full-on panic attack.
I highly suggest you do. My dad's panic attack disorder went unchecked for almost ten years, and he now couldn't sleep without popping at least 1 Xanax pill everyday. I myself only start to be able to manage my emotions once I started on Lexapro (and Xanax for those full-on attacks).

Do show us pictures of your suit when it's done, Douglas! :3

Sorrow: Had to give away my printer, since I was not able to sell it before heading back home tomorrow.

Joy: I'm going to KL tomorrow! Gonna play me some arcade games, and maybe watch the Friday night MTG tournament at this one store :3

Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

Have fun :)

Not Sure? (Both Joy/Sorrow?): Tomorrow I go on a 12 hour overnight car drive up to the Hunter Valley region in NSW. I'm heading up there with my sister's family and my father for a relative's 90th birthday. I'm not extremely excited to go, as I'm not really very close to that particular relative, but I feel that it is something that I should not miss. It gonna be sorta good to be traveling up in a car with family again. I'll be crammed in the tightest space in the car, like I tend to be on such trips.

Sorrow: No MTG for me this Friday thanks to the trip.

Slight Sorrow: Possibly heading back Sunday morning is NOT going to work well my sleeping patterns. Also it looks like I could have to get accommodation rather than staying with a relative if things go sour. Hopefully it won't be the case.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
ShadowLightning

Sorrow: RIP My left earphone. You held out for a long time bud, glad you could last this long. You will be dearly missed.
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

Joy: My washing machine will arrive tomorrow.

Sorrow: I had to take a day off since the washing machine will arrive between 9am and 3pm -.-"

@Shadow which Brand did you use?

CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

kurowolfe wrote:
JonnyNova wrote:I haven't, kuro, but that's something I really should do soon. Based on what CosmicCoyote said it's definitely closer to an anxiety attack than a full-on panic attack.
I highly suggest you do. My dad's panic attack disorder went unchecked for almost ten years, and he now couldn't sleep without popping at least 1 Xanax pill everyday. I myself only start to be able to manage my emotions once I started on Lexapro (and Xanax for those full-on attacks).
Indeed. For a long time I was able to keep it in check just by talking to a therapist - which I did after I had adverse reaction to the first medication I was prescribed (which actually made things worse, sad to say). I did eventually need to go to meds (for which the third time happened to be the charm), but that doesn't necessarily mean you will need to. In other news...

Joy: Today marks the second anniversary of the day I first met and adopted my dog. :mrgreen:
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
ShadowLightning

Invisan wrote: @Shadow which Brand did you use?
Uhh... I don't really know. It's white. And it came along with my phone.
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

Joy: Everything's been dealt with and I'm fine to go.

Sorrow: I embarrassed myself in the process. Not enough communication meant that I was forced to jump through rings only to find out that didn't need to.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

ShadowLightning wrote:
Ah ok i see ^^ The cheap kind of Headphones ^^

ShadowLightning

Invisan wrote:
ShadowLightning wrote:
Ah ok i see ^^ The cheap kind of Headphones ^^
Yeah, but for a cheap pair, they managed to last longer than most of my other earphones, that were actually more expensive.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sometimes i get a kick out of my family.

Logitech wireless headset - $60, but lasted me three years so far. Fallen in love with them. hope they last another 5 years <3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Going out to dinner with my boyfriend tonight!
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

Joy: Received my new Washing Machine today :)

Sorrow: It didnt look Factory new :/

Ultrasorrow: Its broken and i have to send it back since it almost set my bathroom under water. :/

Joy: Finally got a programm running which i wanted to get running for a long time.

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Invisan wrote:Joy: Received my new Washing Machine today :)

Ultrasorrow: Its broken and i have to send it back since it almost set my bathroom under water. :/

Joy: Finally got a programm running which i wanted to get running for a long time.
Ouch. That sounds horrible =(

I hope they replace it soon.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: BIRTHDAY!
ShadowLightning

????: Just got an email reply from one of my old... acquaintances. I'm not sure if I should respond, or why he's only replying now.

A bunch of little Sorrows: Apparently, a bunch of our stuff is starting to break down; my mom's phone, me and my sisters' left earphone, our TV, our PC and/or internet, our phone. What's happening to our house? :?
Invisan

Post by Invisan »

GameCobra wrote:
Invisan wrote:Joy: Received my new Washing Machine today :)

Ouch. That sounds horrible =(

I hope they replace it soon.

Well i will get my money back though. At least something ^^

@Shadow if you wouldnt live that far away and the shipping wouldnt be so muffins and cookies expensive i would send you some new Headphones got plenty especially since my employee is one of the worlds most reknownst developers of Head and Microphones.

Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Sorrow: I just woke up from dreaming that the girl I was planning on marrying died, sending me into a severe depression that would get me institutionalized.

Sorrow: It made me wake up sad and doubting even further my luck in finding a girl who would stay with me through my emotional problems.

Hope: The new vitamins I'm taking are supposed to help with emotional problems like that, so some of that worry has been alleviated.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.