What's Your Country Like?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Re: What's Your Country Like?

Post by 0404 »

Electronic class teacher of mine said the American manufacturer rarely ever uses Square screws.
one of these
is it true? I never paid attention to the screws when I was 6...
Last edited by 0404 on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Most of our screws are flathead or Philip's.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

Or Torx!
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

For the most part, I usually see phillips screw drive. When I think of a screw, that's the bit that comes to mind for me.

But in my carpentry class, we use a lot of square screws. I can't really say I have a preference to either. The square seem to be harder to strip than the phillips, but if you strip a square one, that's it. You have to pull it out and put another one in, where you can usually finish putting in the phillips unless you really suck at using a drill.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

Post by 0404 »

I prefer the Square over the Phillips, I don't know why, maybe cuz it provides you with more grip.
hummm let's see any other Canadian stuffs to talk about?

License plates!

Post by 0404 »

so Winterpeg Manisnowba Canada is showing its real side tomorrow. It's going to snow up here tomorrow. How is Weather around where you live?
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

texascat018 wrote:so Winterpeg Manisnowba Canada is showing its real side tomorrow. It's going to snow up here tomorrow. How is Weather around where you live?
Give me that! Give me rain! And some wind! Its been so incredibly dry here all month, no wind or anything! Look at the air, it's brown!
Aaaaaaaaahhhh!! Washington is broken!
Panda Panda Panda

Post by 0404 »

Punchy wrote:
texascat018 wrote:so Winterpeg Manisnowba Canada is showing its real side tomorrow. It's going to snow up here tomorrow. How is Weather around where you live?
Give me that! Give me rain! And some wind! Its been so incredibly dry here all month, no wind or anything! Look at the air, it's brown!
Aaaaaaaaahhhh!! Washington is broken!
I thought you were British for some reason until now... wait aren't you? Nooo..

Gosh, snow everywhere and it's soo cold. it's around 24'F
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

texascat018 wrote:I thought you were British for some reason until now... wait aren't you? Nooo..
Whaaaat... :lol: Not sure how you got that idea, but no I've never been across the ocean (either ocean).
texascat018 wrote:it's soo cold. it's around 24'F
I love the cold. Hot can be good to, I just don't like to much of it.
Panda Panda Panda
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

it's "beautiful," "great," the "home of the brave and the land of the free," and was blind at some point, but no longer is
there is no such thing as luck. if there was, there would surely be at least one person with all of it, and nothing bad would happen to them ever. but as far as I can tell, bad things happen to everyone.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Punchy wrote:I love the cold. Hot can be good to, I just don't like to much of it.
I like cold too. You can always put more clothes on. You can only take off so many. Even less so if you have concepts of decency. And legality.

Also thing my country has: dumb units. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Yeah, the metric system sucks. ;3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
13Swords

Post by 13Swords »

Louisiana. The only things dirtier than our minds are our politicians. :) To say we're ethnically diverse is to say the sun is warm. We've got awesome crawfish etoufe and gumbo, but someone recently told me that there's a lot of places in Africa that eat crawfish and gumbo, so now I wanna visit Africa, too. :P Politically speaking, most people around here claim to be either democrat or republican, even though most of them don't quite get the differences. It's more like a sports team than anything :roll: , but that's life. There's hunters, fishers, vegans, Catholics, atheists, Jews, Muslims, Thai, Chinese, Irish, and I've even met a few Hindu from India. It's awesome, because EVEN THOUGH our food is already delicious, we get a smattering of everything! :drool: If you do visit, you're likely to go to either Baton Rough or New Orleans (maaaybe Lake Charles, but I don't know if it's tourist heavy.) If you do, take my advice: Don't drink at run down bars. There is a black market organ trade, and many people wake up missing parts of their liver or a kidney and a poor job of bandaging. Many others don't wake up.

And that's Louisiana in a nutshell (oh! pecans! We've got TONS of pecans! just don't call them pee cans; most people will point you to the restroom if you call them that. Call them "pu" like in "put" followed by "Khan." Puhkhan.) If y'all do visit, I hope you eat, drink and sleep well and have a great time.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet wrote:Also thing my country has: dumb units. :P
I've grown quite attached to the English system seeing how I use it everyday (well, almost everyday) in school in my carpentry and pluming classes.

But it is quite confusing at times. Inches to feet to miles, they are all different ratios. It would be so much easier to simply adopt the metric system, but of course that would cause all kinds of havoc.

Also, Louisiana sounds like a cool place to visit. Although I don't believe that story about people having there organs removed.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ooh cool, Louisiana pronounces "pecan" correctly. That's how we do it too. :P
JeffCvt wrote:
I've grown quite attached to the English system seeing how I use it everyday (well, almost everyday) in school in my carpentry and pluming classes.

But it is quite confusing at times. Inches to feet to miles, they are all different ratios. It would be so much easier to simply adopt the metric system, but of course that would cause all kinds of havoc.
It helped me a lot to turn my phone's weather application to Celsius.
13Swords

Post by 13Swords »

JeffCvt wrote:
Also, Louisiana sounds like a cool place to visit. Although I don't believe that story about people having there organs removed.
Hmm... you may be right to be skeptical. I'm looking for a news article, but I'm not finding anything; only that there is an urban legend about it. Only thing I've found relevant is this, http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-5197720.html , but that's talking about the USA receiving them, not providing them. http://www.futurity.org/health-medicine ... l-on-poor/ says much the same.

Well that... KINDA makes me feel better.

Quick question to all you metric people- why do so few people use decimeters as a measurement?
And to imperial users- have you ever heard of a hand? It's a standard measurement that is 4 inches long (1/16 of an inch away from being a decimeter), and I've found it to be useful for measuring small objects.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I dunno why decimeters aren't used. I guess it's just impractical because centimeters can be used for the same scale.

I've heard of hands, yes!
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I prefer centimeters and Celsius, I feel that they're much more accurate than inches and Fahrenheit.

Is a hand what they measure horses in, or something like that. Or are we talking about a hand of bananas?
Panda Panda Panda
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Unit of measurement does not determine accuracy of such...

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

More mathematically elegant, yes. "Accuracy" is not the word here, though.

The centimeter is more precise than the inch if we're using whole-numbered units, though. On the other hand, by this same criterion Fahrenheit is more precise than Celsius.
13Swords

Post by 13Swords »

A hand is 4 inches. The decimeter is 10 centimeters, or 3 and 15/16 inches. Cm is okay for things fewer than 15, but beyond that, I feel it's silly to use a precise term for something I'm guessing at. Examples of things I know not the cm of, but know the approximate dm/hand of- pencils, figurines, DVD cases, paper, hats, coasters, lamps, things in general more than 30 cm. but not quite a meter. Granted, I'll use feet instead of hands once I'm past 5 hands, but metric doesn't have a middle grade mark like a foot.

Reminds me of that kid who brought the fossil to show & tell. The teacher asked him how hold it was, and he said it was a million and one year old.

The teacher asked, "How do you know it's a million and one?"

The student replied, "Because the archeologist said it was a million years old, and that was one year ago today. ^_^ "
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's bad use of significant figures. :P
13Swords

Post by 13Swords »

Precisely.

:D :D

Post by 0404 »

it's quite confusing to me to convert gallons to liters.
we use liter measurement for stuffs like gas and oil.
1kg= 1L of water in a 1000cm3 container. how easy is that?
though we use foot(feet) for height measurement sometimes.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The gallon is one of the easiest to convert to metric, thankfully. A gallon is about four liters.

Still, liters make more sense all the same.

Post by 0404 »

I think we (are forced to) watch awful lots of TV Ads comparing to foregin countries.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

texascat018 wrote:I think we (are forced to) watch awful lots of TV Ads comparing to other countries.
How much is that exactly? I have not watched American (or, in your case, Canadian) television, so I would not know how much that is. In Britain, on average, from what I have observed, there could be something between 6 to 10 adverts per break. BBC has no adverts so they are not included. And some television channels would have exceedingly more than others.
Psychologists believe that exposure to so much mental manipulation from adverts of all kinds has led to the development of many psychological disorders in young people of our modern age.
mrsticky005

Post by mrsticky005 »

I'm from the USA

My country is awesome because it's where I live and anywhere I live must be awesome.

#Factsoflifeyo.

More specifically I live in Virginia currently.
Before that I live near Baltimore, Maryland.
Before that I live near Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Before that I live in Bethesda, Maryland
Before that I was born in Bellingham, Washington.
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

I'm from the USA too. I've lived in the Midwest most of my life, and have lived in Texas, Missouri, Kentucky, Alaska, and Illinois.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

Post by 0404 »

MilesKingford wrote:
texascat018 wrote:I think we (are forced to) watch awful lots of TV Ads comparing to other countries.
How much is that exactly? I have not watched American (or, in your case, Canadian) television, so I would not know how much that is. In Britain, on average, from what I have observed, there could be something between 6 to 10 adverts per break. BBC has no adverts so they are not included. And some television channels would have exceedingly more than others.
Psychologists believe that exposure to so much mental manipulation from adverts of all kinds has led to the development of many psychological disorders in young people of our modern age.
I think we are just about the same. maybe little bit more than 6 to 10.
comparing to east side of the globe, we watch really a lot of em. in some channels from foreign countries, there are no ads break during the show!
mrsticky005 wrote:I'm from the USA
My country is awesome because it's where I live and anywhere I live must be awesome.
#Factsoflifeyo.

I'm from the USA
I currently live in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Before that I live in lots and lots of different places in S.Korea
before that I live in Atlanta Georgia
before that I was born and live in Huston Texas.
mrsticky005

Post by mrsticky005 »

texascat018 wrote:
MilesKingford wrote:
I think we are just about the same. maybe little bit more than 6 to 10.
comparing to east side of the globe, we watch really a lot of em. in some channels from foreign countries, there are no ads break during the show!
mrsticky005 wrote:I'm from the USA
#Factsoflifeyo.

I'm from the USA
I currently live in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Before that I live in lots and lots of different places in S.Korea
before that I live in Atlanta Georgia
before that I was born and live in Huston Texas.
Are you in the military or is your family in the military?
Because it sounds like you moved around a lot.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

texascat018 wrote:I think we (are forced to) watch awful lots of TV Ads comparing to foregin countries.
It's the same case in Malaysia, only that most of the TV ads here either wants to portray the product as more fun and exciting than it is, or wants to portray a short story that tugs at the heartstrings or give that sense of familiarity.

The second reason is also why I'm a little proud of Malaysian admakers, in my opinion, one of the best in the world (but then again, it might just be me).

Not to stray off-topic, but have a go at these commercials. Non-Malaysians might not get the whole idea, but if you want to really see a slice of life among Malaysians, then these are some good bets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqDdhloTLM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRPpSYr ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfa0Nk4D ... re=related

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)

Post by 0404 »

no, just, humm, my Dad has lots of stuffs with businesses and Phd's thingies.
Kuro! wrote:Non-Malaysians might not get the whole idea, but if you want to really see a slice of life among Malaysians, then these are some good bets:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRPpSYr ... re=related
this one, I totally get it! maybe because I'm Asian?
that was a heart melting one! :D

Post by 0404 »

It is illegal to dress up as polar bear in northern Manitoba, Canada even on halloween. Because polar bears are common in Northern area and someone may think that it's real polar bear. Someone may endup actually shooting im...
Some Canadian thing XP
Bad news for polarbear furry
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Never heard of it being illegal, but it certainly isn't something i ever seen on Television or at high school games =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

kurowolfe wrote:
texascat018 wrote:I think we (are forced to) watch awful lots of TV Ads comparing to foregin countries.
It's the same case in Malaysia, only that most of the TV ads here either wants to portray the product as more fun and exciting than it is, or wants to portray a short story that tugs at the heartstrings or give that sense of familiarity.
Our ads are the worst right now because they are ALL political. Since we're close to Virginia, we get a number of Presidential and Virginia Government ads, and on top of it Maryland is currently having a frenzy over a gambling referendum that's launched the most expensive political ad campaign in state history.

I'll be glad to see them gone next week.
Image Image
Liam

Post by Liam »

Vote or DIIIEEEE! :V
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

CaptainPea wrote:
kurowolfe wrote:
Our ads are the worst right now because they are ALL political. Since we're close to Virginia, we get a number of Presidential and Virginia Government ads, and on top of it Maryland is currently having a frenzy over a gambling referendum that's launched the most expensive political ad campaign in state history.

Did you hear? About that one guy? RAISING TAXES.

MAKING JOBS.

VOTED SEVEN TIMES FOR A THING.
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:
CaptainPea wrote:Our ads are the worst right now because they are ALL political. Since we're close to Virginia, we get a number of Presidential and Virginia Government ads, and on top of it Maryland is currently having a frenzy over a gambling referendum that's launched the most expensive political ad campaign in state history.

Did you hear? About that one guy? RAISING TAXES.

MAKING JOBS.

VOTED SEVEN TIMES FOR A THING.
It's even worse because they're mostly on that referendum; essentially what happens is one ad says "the Washington Post says this referendum will help schools and the economy" and the next says "the Washington Post says this referendum won't help schools and the economy".

And those are practically the only ads on TV right now.
Image Image

Post by 0404 »

Mayday mayday,Mayday Anyone Minnesotan?
I'm visiting Minnesota Minneapolis next weekend for tour and I would like some assistance. I'm searching up on google but I bet that it is way more better to hear from who lives there than interweb.