What's Your Country Like?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Re: What's Your Country Like?

Post by 0404 »

About Canadian Healthcare,
It's FREE!! Yay
Down side. Once I broke my arm before, so I went to hospital (not ER) and I had to wait for 4 hours with icepack to get treated. Same thing with my brother he had to wait for 6 hours.
It's really really really slow. No matter which part of Canada you go.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I hear that healthcare in Canada being slow is a myth. I have a teacher who knows several people in Canada and asked them about it, and they said that if they have an emergency, there doctor will see them that day, if they have a problem, he will see them within the week, and time for surgery, required and elective (Like plastic surgery), is the same as here in the United States.

To me Texascat, it sounds like a problem with the hospital that you went to. Or just the hospitals in your area. The hospital being slow doesn't mean that it has to be the healthcare slowing it down. Although I could be wrong.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

Post by 0404 »

JeffCvt wrote: The hospital being slow doesn't mean that it has to be the healthcare slowing it down. Although I could be wrong.
could be, it's hospital's problem not health care. but they are related. I don't know
To me Texascat, it sounds like a problem with the hospital that you went to. Or just the hospitals in your area.
nahhhhh from what I heard from social study teacher, every Canadian has the same problem with speed. and rich Albertans are angry about it.
Again I don't know!

GameCobra, why aren't you here to help me??
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Because i don't read all the topics! D: Also, because i'm on a tiny island away from the main country. Some things we do here are slightly different =3

As far as being slow, outpatience is slow, but emergency doctors are not. my local hospital's outpatience is fast, but another hospital my sister went to one time? up to 5 hours. So from my experience and knowledge? we're only slow when it comes to doing check-ups, but not in emergencies.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Arjay

Post by Arjay »

SDC11573(1).jpg
SDC11573(1).jpg (109.6 KiB) Viewed 11208 times
well, when i wake up I hear birds, see blue skies, light clouds, and evergreen trees everywhere. I go to the window and think of how great the state of Washington is!
Last edited by Arjay on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Staying focused is a full time job at minimum wage.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It is fine to be honest about your opinion of your country, but let us all remember not to phrase such in potentially inflammatory ways.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I love Seattle, a great city. I haven't been there much this year unfortunately, but I do know they repainted the top of the needle to orange again. It's the 50th anniversary of the '62 worlds fair. I remember it being painted orange back in 2002 as well.
I think it looks best like that...
Attachments
orange-top-space-needle2.jpg
orange-top-space-needle2.jpg (23.22 KiB) Viewed 11183 times
Panda Panda Panda

Post by 0404 »

to British folks,
what does Dear Queen actually do?
God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save The Queen:
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save The Queen.
O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies,
And make them fall:
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix:
God save us all.
Thy choicest gifts in store,
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign:
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save The Queen!
God Save the Queen!

Arjay wrote: well, when i wake up I hear birds, see blue skies, light clouds, and evergreen trees everywhere. I go to the window and think of how great the state of Washington is! Then, when i actually manage to leave my yard and go somewhere, i remember that it is still goddang America. :x
hey...... :(
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

texascat018 wrote:to British folks,
what does Dear Queen actually do?
Absolutely nothing. The monarchy has no power, no authority, and has not involved itself with politics for centuries. But the Queen does delight the Commonwealth nations with her visits, and the British people seem happy having a completely powerless monarch. Though, it has always puzzled me why the US is not part of the Commonwealth...
Karl

Post by Karl »

But isn't it the Queen who currently gives the title of Lords? At this point it actually have some power.
I'm a bookworm!
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Karlos wrote:But isn't it the Queen who currently gives the title of Lords? At this point it actually have some power.
She merely performs the ceremony. Those who want to gain titles need to do something remarkable to gain them. The government decides who gets titles, especially the title of Lord, since Lord's help shape the law of the country.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Aren't you a legal adult at 16 in Great Britain?
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Wanderer wrote:Aren't you a legal adult at 16 in Great Britain?
Yes and no. The age of conception is 16, you can drive, get a job and pay tax (yay!) but you can not vote or drink alcohol until 18. Also, most are not really considered "adult" until they leave the education system, but that is more of a societal viewpoint than anything.
Renkun

Post by Renkun »

MilesKingford wrote:The age of conception is 16, you can drive, get a job and pay tax (yay!) but you can not vote or drink alcohol until 18. Also, most are not really considered "adult" until they leave the education system, but that is more of a societal viewpoint than anything.[/color]
When i read your post then i see Great Britain and Germany have many commonalities. :lol:
I'm a happy playfull kitty in a party of my soul but form time to time a evil wolf
that's my soul and i love it and I would want to change it never
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Do you mean age of consent? Interesting, so you still have to be at least 18 to technically be considered an adult.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Wanderer wrote:Do you mean age of consent? Interesting, so you still have to be at least 18 to technically be considered an adult.
As I said, that only really happens when you leave the education system. Many leave after school at 16 to get a job and start living the ordinary life, some go to college for another two years, and there are fewer still who actually go on to university for even more years in the education system. There are people older than me in Oxford University that would still be considered as children.
Runken wrote:When i read your post then i see Great Britain and Germany have many commonalities.
I have always been curious as to how things are done in mainland Europe, and I honestly wish they taught us that when I was in college.
Karl

Post by Karl »

MilesKingford wrote:I have always been curious as to how things are done in mainland Europe, and I honestly wish they taught us that when I was in college.
Hmm... since you explained the legal age in GB, I can tell how it looks like in Poland.
The legal age is reached at 18. From then you're considered to be truly adult - you can drink, get driving license and get a full time job. But also you must make yourself an identity card that represents you're over 18.
I'm a bookworm!
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

Not its own country, but Wisconsin is rather unique when it comes to drinking laws. In WI, kids under 18 may legally drink alcoholic beverages in the presence and with the permission of their parents. I'm not sure if it still applies between 18 and 21, as 21 is the normal age for drinking.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

DanTwelve3 wrote:Not its own country, but Wisconsin is rather unique when it comes to drinking laws. In WI, kids under 18 may legally drink alcoholic beverages in the presence and with the permission of their parents. I'm not sure if it still applies between 18 and 21, as 21 is the normal age for drinking.
The majority of US states are actually like that. But some states do totally prohibit consumption of alcohol by under-21s, and even if they don't, counties or municipalities may. It goes without saying that this is an area where participants should tread very carefully. For further reference, here's a list that details legal particulars at the state level (obviously none of this is official advice, and it shouldn't be taken as such): http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.reso ... eID=002591

The interesting thing is that per the United States' Constitution, states have the authority to set their own drinking age. So why is 21 a national standard? The federal National Minimum Drinking Age Act withholds ten percent of states' highway budgets if their minimum drinking age is any lower. How... clever.

-GunRacer

Post by 0404 »

I don't konw you guys know this or not...
Canadian McDonald
Maple leaf! Xp
McFly

Post by McFly »

Yeah, the logo varies from country to country.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Is that really in every Canadian McDonald's?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Post by 0404 »

I believe so, let's ask GameCobra.
Arjay

Post by Arjay »

Punchy wrote:I love Seattle, a great city. I haven't been there much this year unfortunately, but I do know they repainted the top of the needle to orange again. It's the 50th anniversary of the '62 worlds fair. I remember it being painted orange back in 2002 as well.
I think it looks best like that...
yea i like it orange as well. my picture was from Bumbershoot 2011 so it was still white and i didn't notice lol. I don't remember it being orange in 2002 but i did live in Bainbridge at the time and as a direct result i didn't get out much :)
Staying focused is a full time job at minimum wage.

Post by 0404 »

When displaying flag of USA vertically, the Union is located to viewer's left. Right?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Yeah. Or closest to the pole/wall if viewed from both sides, I believe. I think the one exception of the "normal" rules for flags is the right shoulder of soldiers' uniforms, where it appears on the top right.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Post by 0404 »

Church that I go to hangs flags on the wall from all around the globe, and they are displaying Flag of USA left side right. I should tell them that they should fix it.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Yes, every McDonald M in Canada has the maple leaf on it. I'm still surprised i wasn't around to see this question. >.>
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's kinda cute I guess! Do they offer maple syrup all day? :D

Post by 0404 »

Sleet wrote:That's kinda cute I guess! Do they offer maple syrup all day? :D
that's so stereo typical..
no, :P
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

texascat018 wrote:
Oh, and putting a maple leaf on each sign isn't? :P
DanTwelve3

Post by DanTwelve3 »

Sleet wrote:
texascat018 wrote:
Well, it IS the most characteristic element of their flag. And a certain sports team from Toronto.

Post by 0404 »

Sleet wrote:
texascat018 wrote:
In Canadian library, they mark every Canadian book with maple leaf sign to show that it's a book by Canadian author.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

texascat018 wrote:About Canadian Healthcare,
It's FREE!! Yay
Down side. Once I broke my arm before, so I went to hospital (not ER) and I had to wait for 4 hours with icepack to get treated. Same thing with my brother he had to wait for 6 hours.
It's really really really slow. No matter which part of Canada you go.

Rub it in, why don't you?

Just kidding! Its no fun here. When I cut my hand really bad once, I sat in a waiting room for three hours bleeding all over the floor while they were just running my health insurance information. My hand wound was being held together with plastic wrap and an old towel. One of the nurses walked by and said "Ew! Do you have to do that all over the floor?! Our janitor has to clean that up, you know! Some people, I swear!"

After 3 days in the hospital and 3 hours of surgery, they still did not repair the tendon and nerve damage, causing me to lose the use of my index finger on my left hand. On top of that, they charged me $2000 and had collection agencies calling me the very next day after I was discharged. And this was when I was covered by my father's stat of North Carolina health insurance!

So what if Canadian healthy care is slow, its free and of a high quality. I wish I had it.
Last edited by Radio Blue Heart on Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil

Post by 0404 »

wow, I'm sorry to hear that. feel free to visit up here someday.
and what is Obama Care about?
Don't get controversial or make it in to debate, I just want to know some facts.
Fear Diss!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Actually I'm gonna have to step in on that one (Diss is at work). Let's not really discuss the Affordable Care Act/Obamacare. It's a really hot-button issue and to be honest I don't think anyone here, myself included, really knows enough about it to give you a good, unbiased summary.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Sleet wrote:Actually I'm gonna have to step in on that one (Diss is at work). Let's not really discuss the Affordable Care Act/Obamacare. It's a really hot-button issue and to be honest I don't think anyone here, myself included, really knows enough about it to give you a good, unbiased summary.
Actually, I feel entirely capable of giving an accurate summary of the PPACA (done a lot of research on it)... but even an unbiased dissection would lead to political tension along with hurt feelings, and fast. So, moving on--

Something very interesting about the United States vis a vis other countries I've been to is the amount of private aviation. We have tons more private pilots than I've seen anywhere else, especially in states that have climates conducive to year-round flying. It's not really something you notice until you're somewhere where you don't see/hear people buzzing around in Cessnas at very regular intervals.

Also, the artificial "strawberry" flavor in Europe is different than the one used here in the States and Canada.
-GunRacer
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ooh, I should try the British strawberry to compare.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Sleet wrote:Ooh, I should try the British strawberry to compare.
I don't know what flavor the UK uses... I can only vouch for (part of) mainland Europe. And I'd bet money you actually have tasted "European strawberry" before. You know those little soft-center candies that come in the strawberry-looking wrappers? It's that exact flavor.

This is all kinda funny when you consider that neither artificial flavor bears much of a resemblance to the real deal, but my American brain considers the flavor I'm used to as the real fake strawberry. As opposed to the fake fake strawberry, I guess.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I love those strawberry candies! :D