What's Your Country Like?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

MilesKingford

Re: What's Your Country Like?

Post by MilesKingford »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:Lucky you. Dry heat is so much better than humid heat.
How so?
Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

It doesn't feel as hot (apparently this is due to high humidity reducing the cooling affect of sweating). The air doesn't feel difficult to breath. You don't feel sticky all the time outside.

It just feels really nasty when it's both hot with high humidity.

I don't know, you'd have to feel it around here to believe it. It can get really disgusting how bad it feels to be outside when it's like 103'F with 90% relative humidity. Just going outside to get the paper becomes a terrible chore. I've been in 112'F weather when it wasn't humid, and that felt a lot cooler than when it was just 100'F with high humidity.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The humidity gets really bad at times where I live. Thankfully it's been beautiful out recently. Not for long, though. Once winter gets its hands on us, it can get terrible sometimes. And this is me saying this.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

It's just been freezing here. *shivers*
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Senator_Sunburst wrote:It doesn't feel as hot (apparently this is due to high humidity reducing the cooling affect of sweating). The air doesn't feel difficult to breathe. You don't feel sticky all the time outside.

It just feels really nasty when it's both hot with high humidity.

I don't know, you'd have to feel it around here to believe it. It can get really disgusting how bad it feels to be outside when it's like 103'F with 90% relative humidity. Just going outside to get the paper becomes a terrible chore. I've been in 112'F weather when it wasn't humid, and that felt a lot cooler than when it was just 100'F with high humidity.
So true. I hate when it's so humid that pushing the air around you so that you can move feels like a chore...
Of course, growing up in a really humid place (like the East Coast) becomes an even bigger problem when you go somewhere dry; your body is so used to the ambient moisture that you become dehydrated so fast, and all the people who live there think you're a wimp.
Image Image
rempar11

Post by rempar11 »

where i live it gets a cool as 48 in night and 75 in the day
when it nonsense work try try again if that cant work hit it with a frying pan
"Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you only spend it once."
viridis

Post by viridis »

It's real humid in Auckland in the Summer also, like living on a tropical island. The worst thing is trying to sleep on hot, humid nights. It's near impossible.
Alex

Post by Alex »

MilesKingford wrote:Bosnia is part of the EU so you should be able to leave since the membership allows migration freely throughout the EU. There should be no reason to force you to remain in your country.

Added: And it is considered that the US is ten years ahead of Europe in terms of standards apparently.
I don't know where you heard that, but Bosnia is NOT a part of the EU. Countries like Germany and France don't want us in there.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Alex wrote:
MilesKingford wrote:Bosnia is part of the EU so you should be able to leave since the membership allows migration freely throughout the EU. There should be no reason to force you to remain in your country.

Added: And it is considered that the US is ten years ahead of Europe in terms of standards apparently.
I don't know where you heard that, but Bosnia is NOT a part of the EU. Countries like Germany and France don't want us in there.
I assumed it was because the EU gave Bosnia money (the 500 million you mentioned earlier).
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

International assistance funding does not necessarily indicate membership in a national or transnational political organization. For example, the U.S. gives billions and billions per year, but (I'm sure we give aide to Bosnia, so I'm using it as an example) Bosnia isn't a state.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Dissension wrote:International assistance funding does not necessarily indicate membership in a national or transnational political organization. For example, the U.S. gives billions and billions per year, but (I'm sure we give aide to Bosnia, so I'm using it as an example) Bosnia isn't a state.
So it was charity, I guess it would make sense, the wealthy nations of the world would be rather cold hearted not to help poorer nations.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

This is starting to get borderline political, so I think we need to be careful lest we suffer the mods' wrath.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Sleet wrote:This is starting to get borderline political, so I think we need to be careful lest we suffer the mods' wrath.
OK, I really need to clarify that this thread is a sociological thread, not political. There areas which politics does go into which sociology also goes into but I am purely dealing in the sociological aspects and ignoring more political areas.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Guys, it won't stop raining here! T_T
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

It hasn't rained for about two weeks here. Fall and winter are usually pretty dry for Florida.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

copper wrote:It hasn't rained for about two weeks here. Fall and winter are usually pretty dry for Florida.
I'll trade you!
Alex

Post by Alex »

What's so wrong with rain? I love rain, especially when followed by lightnings!
Richarson Valley

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Alex wrote:What's so wrong with rain? I love rain, especially when followed by lightnings!
When I have to ride my bike to school and it's raining every other day it starts to get annoying.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Dubiousity wrote:
Alex wrote:What's so wrong with rain? I love rain, especially when followed by lightnings!
When I have to ride my bike to school and it's raining every other day it starts to get annoying.
I love when it rains while I'm on my bike. It gives so much adrenaline! And also it's a free shower =D
I'm a bookworm!
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Karlos wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:
I love when it rains while I'm on my bike. It gives so much adrenaline! And also it's a free shower =D
I don't enjoy sitting in soaked clothes all day in school though.
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

In Indonesia, big rains almost guarantee light flood on the street. They don't affect me when I am indoor, but not very nice to my shoes when I am outdoor...

Still, it is a lot cooler during rains. I call it a mixed blessing!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Dubiousity wrote:I don't enjoy sitting in soaked clothes all day in school though.
You should wear a raincoat - it really helps.
Richarson Valley

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Alex wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:I don't enjoy sitting in soaked clothes all day in school though.
You should wear a raincoat - it really helps.
Don't have one :\
Alex

Post by Alex »

Aren't they, like, $5 max? Your parents should buy you one if you're getting wet every day, ya know, that's horrible for your health.
Richarson Valley

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Alex wrote:Aren't they, like, $5 max? Your parents should buy you one if you're getting wet every day, ya know, that's horrible for your health.
Well, according to them they have no money to spare, plus, I wouldn't have anywhere to put it.
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

CaptainPea wrote:
Anthroguy101 wrote:I've been to Canada. They gave me free Coke Zero in Toronto.
Oh yeah, and in Italy (Maybe other parts of Europe too) they have those really tall skinny soda cans, at least compared to the American standard- anyone know why?
The metric system?
Lucky you. Dry heat is so much better than humid heat.
I could really use some of that right now.

Last edited by Anthroguy101 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That or we just drink more soda than they do.
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

Yeah, that's probably it :lol:
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Sleet wrote:That or we just drink more soda than they do.
... Image

Maybe, but it seemed to me there was about the same amount of soda inside...
Anthroguy101 wrote:The metric system?
I probably should have thought of that.
Image Image
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

I learnt something new about the UK today; apparently the UK is one of the most charitable nations of the world and our nation gives away £7 billion in international aid per year (and our overall tax revenues are like £650 billion per year).
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

Mexico Land of Mariachis, Alebrijes and Some of the Better Food Ever!

I live on the Gulf of Mexico, so the climate is mostly warm all the year, i like the beach, downtown and some other places.
My favorite things about Mexico are the crafts and specially Alebrijes made of Papier Mache and very colorful:
normal_AlebrijeTesisC4Des2.jpg
normal_AlebrijeTesisC4Des2.jpg (43.68 KiB) Viewed 15125 times
The food it's also a very good thing about Mexico, the flavors and ingredients are very big and my favorite food is Mole
mole-poblano-01.jpg
mole-poblano-01.jpg (47.2 KiB) Viewed 15124 times
Some peopla cant with mexican food, you only need a strong stomach and maybe some Alka-Seltzer :mrgreen:
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I've never eaten mole before...
Alex

Post by Alex »

Dubiousity wrote:I've never eaten mole before...
Me neither...
Wow, I never thought there will be more Alex' on the forums xD
Richarson Valley

Senator_Sunburst

Post by Senator_Sunburst »

Whenever I go to Mexico, I have to just eat chicken and eggs. Real Mexican food is nothing like what we have here, and it's not...palatable, to most Americans.

I'm not a fan of mole myself.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I know of mole, but I never knew it had chocolate in it. That's certainly interesting.
Alex M.

Post by Alex M. »

Alex wrote:
Dubiousity wrote:I've never eaten mole before...
Me neither...
Wow, I never thought there will be more Alex' on the forums xD
Both should try it :mrgreen:

And i think im the second Alex :)
In a time warp from 2011.
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Where should I start? I guess I'll start with the good side.
I live in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico. Welcome. I live in a place where the corner store is OXXO instead of the AMPM or 7/11, a place where tacos are real and you can find a nice place to eat almost everywhere, but you should watch out, because many taco restaurants are not approved by health inspectors, but they really don't give a... something. Moving on, I live in a place where museums are hard to find, but, once found, you'll find rich culture that makes influence with Mexico, and great libraries. I live in a place where, if you find a park, you'll just find trash in the floor, but you can still have fun by watching the birds eating out of the trash or getting feed by locals, listen to that mariachi that plays music in the middle of the park, look at the tall trees (what remains, of course!), or try to talk to locals (Which is something that I DO NOT recommend, but, if they are elder people, go ahead! They will tell you about those old good times about Tijuana and, maybe, share some really interesting stories). And I live in a place where the food is great! But I hate mole... bleh... but tacos are good in here :D (I hope you have a strong stomach :twisted: )

Ok, here comes the bad, filthy not so good side.
I also live in a place where downtown is not a good place to stand still, where the possibilities to get stabbed, robbed, kidnapped, etc (the list is long), rises up to a 60%, so, if you are in downtown, keep walking, look unimportant, watch your back and, if you can, wear a bulletproof vest. I live in a place where people are paranoid because of the high crime rates and corrupt police. I live in a place where the government will tow away your car for no good reason and will use any excuse to make you pay the 200% of that "deserved" ticket. I live in a place where politic ads are SO FRIGGIN' DUMB and just make fun of the other political parties. I live in a place where the pedestrian is ran over and it is the pedestrian's fault, not the driver's one. I live in a place where a rock is smarter than the society... gawd I hate the locals. And I live in a place where the darn neighbor will play "music" and drunk-sing it out loud between midnight and 4 AM.

I also live in a place where the weather is simply screwed up (For example: Yesterday was raining, one hour later after the rain, it is HOT HOT HOT)

Well, Tijuana has good places, so don't feel intimidated, come down to Mexico and have some wild fun!
I hate mole.

And this is the reason why my locations says "Taco Land" and stuff.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Shho13

Post by Shho13 »

Ahha! Thread revival! I had no idea this thread even existed!

I live in a land far, far away, where there are lions, tigers, and bears! (oh my!)

Bah, no I dont. I live in what some may call Armpit of America, The Dump, or, New Jersey! And for those who are wondering, Its not so glamorous to live so close to New York City. Its cool, I go often, though its no big deal anymore. Its really expensive to get there with tolls and bridge fees. I see no point to go there unless you are going in to see a show on Broadway or something.

I see that some of you guys already posted up what NJ was all about, I just felt like putting up my own experiences with living in this fine state! heheheh

Alrighty then, New Jersey is not that bad of a place to live, though its outragously crowded. There are usually tons of cars on the road no matter what time it is (except on Sundays for the Blue Law though that is just Bergen County, which I LOVE). Those who are curious about how crowed is is, Yes, if you leave your house at 1 AM there sometimes is somewhow some traffic on the Turnpike in some places. If you leave at rush hour to go to work or go home, expect to be sitting in traffic for awhile! Around the holidays, forget it!!!

Anyways, as im sure most of you guys in the US know, for some reason everyone thinks us NJ dudes are complete jerks, obnoxious, and loud. For the most part, you are right! Im not one of these people, (though I can be when Im at a Mets baseball game) I usually do my best to just ignore those around me when they start to get roudy. There are enough nice people around, though the one guy who cuts you off and honks and tailgates you because you are going to slow for him on the highway always seems to make the nice people seem more rare than they actually are.

There are some areas that you shouldn't walk the street at night alone, as with any other state, There is a bad rap about Newark, and The Oranges and others (not picking on you! No offence), I really never went or have desire to go to these places, so I cant tell you from my experience exactly how they are. All I can say about the general feel around where I live is I feel safe walking down the street of my town at 1 AM without getting mugged, and I also feel safe leaving my car windows down when Im parked at home.

Oh yeah, on another note, New Jersey is not just a giant dumpster for New York, nor a giant landfill.

Here I have a picutre of a small lake near-by that I snapped with my phone! Not the biggest, or best lake around, but hey, drive the car to it, and enjoying a nice walk around it with the family dog really does the trick to get some good old nature and fresh air into your system!
Retinq

Post by Retinq »

@Alex: Until you said where you live, i could have sworn you live in Hungary. XD

Hungary. It's a sinking ship. The most common advice you can hear is: "Leave as soon as you can."

The best way to describe the government after 1989 is what our former prime minister said: "We've screwed it up. We lied all along these four years." Yes, we knew it. >:( People elect those who they think would cause less harm. After '89 every single company that belonged to the state, has been sold to foreigner companies, they closed them and things gone bad. Hungary lost most of it's market, especially Russia.

Laws are following the western pattern, or at least are starting to, and that's intimidating, because the place most people come back from is America. The reason is that people like (real) freedom. At least they want to be as free as they can. :/

People...well, they are greedy, selfish, hate everyone and everything. (yet, they don't...unite or something and stand up for themselves to make things better) You won't notice it unless you live here. You literally have to screw everything to the ground if you don't want it to be stolen. "When you go abroad, don't work for hungarians." Really, if you are hungarian, you shouldn't, because you will be ripped off. Kids have been mugged in front of my school, in daylight!Law enforcement is ineffective, the army technically doesn't exist, they are selling armored cars (yes,APC's!) for 800000 forints, about 4000$.

Education is above average (but it has got financial problems, of course, like everything), thinking is encouraged, that's why hungarians are welcome abroad. (Also, most people here work more than legally possible.)

Good things made or done here are really great, as long as they last. Those things are doomed, no matter what.
Anything good I could mention about this country no longer does exist, or only found interesting by tourists. The once so great industry is dead,its remains are owned by German companies. Agriculture is dying. Most Hungarian inventors are jews who managed to get away from here. Good for them.

Oh yeah, the land is just excellent. Rich in resources and beatiful...yet. being in the center of europe would be a great commercial advantage. WOULD be. Geothermic power plants could be built almost everywhere, and People say that Hungary could supply whole Europe with energy. Before '89 the biggest aluminium exporter in Europe.

I Could continue all day, but i guess it's enough for now. Oh, I was all about economy! I didn't even notice it :D Ugh, this would look better as a list.
I want to go to Russia. Africa would be nice, but I'm not sure about that. I just want to avoid Europe and America at all costs. Woops, too much, i'll re-edit it later ...again. This is one messy post. I'm not proud of it. :oops:
Actually, its RETINQ. See, Retinq. Q.

Post by FarmMan1812 »

America -->
$14 Trillion of Dept.
"Aren't we awesome"