Won a grand award at Intel ISEF - international science fair

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Frooxius

Won a grand award at Intel ISEF - international science fair

Post by Frooxius »

This is me doing science.

Hello. I spent last week in Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania at Intel ISEF - international (though 50 % of people there are from USA and the other half are "guests") science fair for young students with high school projects, where I presented my own project I created during high school - my experimental processor architectures, especially 2DWPU.

Intel ISEF is the biggest scientific event of its kind, the smartest people from the whole world get there. I represented my country (Czech republic) with my research project in Computer Science, against dozens of other projects in this category and managed to even get fourth grand award! ^^'

Which means cash prize, but it's also ticked to basically any prestigious university around the world and also shows, that Weird Processing Units caught interest of some people (not as much as some cancer research, that's always a big hit, but we can't all research cancer, can we) :3 I got a lot of experience and it was a wonderful week which I'm never gonna forget and it only solidified me with my resolve to do more things and more projects for the future, because as Intel's futurist Brian David Johnson said there, future is what WE make it and he knows it's gonna be awesome, because we (Intel ISEF finalists) will be making it, future scientists and engineers. And I already got a lot of plans, which I'll reveal in time, so keep tuned ;-) (though on my personal website, as I don't really visit this forums much anymore)

There's also swarm of press wanting to do interviews and such with me, so I'm a bit overwhelmed, here's one article about it, it's in Czech though, so use Google Translator or something.
http://www.lidovky.cz/cesky-student-zis ... n_veda_ape
Frooxius before he went to Intel ISEF wrote:It's finally here, this Saturday (12th May), I'll be flying to the USA, precisely to Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania to attend Intel ISEF as one of the finalist in the computer science field, with my experimental processor architecture and associated programming that I designed, implemented both as simulator (+compiler for the language) and physical chip (using FPGA) and developed some sample applications in it (always funny coding in your own experimental programming language for your own processor and then running it x3 ) to demonstrate its capabilities and advantages. The architecture I'll be presenting is 2DWPU, one of my WPU (Weird Processing Unit) series, follower of AttoWPU that already won me national round of a science fair.

Sorry that I was quite inactive lately, but must of my time was eaten with preparations for this big event (allegedly biggest scientific event for young scientists there is! Phew, now I don't feel nervous at all) and once it's done, I'll release more information about it as well as some video demonstrations, so you can see my scientific cooking with your own eyes! I'll be there from 13th May to 18th May and return at 19th late in the evening.

In short, my processor is capable of automatic scaling of algorithms and speeding up computations at instruction level in a very natural and straightforward manner, thanks to the alternative program flow: Simply put, it works quite differently than 99.999 % processors out there ;-) Sometimes it doesn't hurt to reinvent a wheel, because you can make a better one. Like a hover-wheel. Joking aside, I rigged up a simple virtual organism simulation in my language and synthesized myself an 10-core version of my processor, so I can enable and disable cores during the run time and show how it affects the program (it speeds up and slows down :3 ).

And just for a bit fun, here's a little preview of my processor running in real-time as a HW chip with a simple demo app (it's not the organism one, I'm saving that for ISEF) :3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De6e_PbzykM

So thank you and wish me luck! ^^'
Last edited by Frooxius on Wed May 23, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
IceKitsune

Re: Science is here! I'll be at Intel ISEF next week!

Post by IceKitsune »

Good Luck Frooxius! I hope you win first place! :D
Liam

Post by Liam »

Congratulations for your nomination and good luck for the end game!

That sounds positively awesome. Lol, maybe one day we can say the inventor of the new design paradigm was on this forum.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

How many computers you got in there? :lol:

Took me 2 views to figure out what was going on there, but I definitely think it is way awesome. ;)
So it sends out a search line to find where you touched and then spirals out from there?
Though seeing the internal structure of the program with all the connections and gates was really cool. :D

Coming over Saturday. Exciting! I think you'll do well, so go for the win! :twisted:
Frooxius

Re: Won a grand award at Intel ISEF - international science

Post by Frooxius »

BIG UPDATE! :3

This is me doing science.

Hello. I spent last week in Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania at Intel ISEF - international (though 50 % of people there are from USA and the other half are "guests") science fair for young students with high school projects, where I presented my own project I created during high school - my experimental processor architectures, especially 2DWPU.

Intel ISEF is the biggest scientific event of its kind, the smartest people from the whole world get there. I represented my country (Czech republic) with my research project in Computer Science, against dozens of other projects in this category and managed to even get fourth grand award! ^^'

Which means cash prize, but it's also ticked to basically any prestigious university around the world and also shows, that Weird Processing Units caught interest of some people (not as much as some cancer research, that's always a big hit, but we can't all research cancer, can we) :3 I got a lot of experience and it was a wonderful week which I'm never gonna forget and it only solidified me with my resolve to do more things and more projects for the future, because as Intel's futurist Brian David Johnson said there, future is what WE make it and he knows it's gonna be awesome, because we (Intel ISEF finalists) will be making it, future scientists and engineers. And I already got a lot of plans, which I'll reveal in time, so keep tuned ;-) (though on my personal website, as I don't really visit this forums much anymore)

There's also swarm of press wanting to do interviews and such with me, so I'm a bit overwhelmed, here's one article about it, it's in Czech though, so use Google Translator or something.
http://www.lidovky.cz/cesky-student-zis ... n_veda_ape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

YAY!!! Great Job! I am glad you enjoyed yourself, and managed to do really well. :D
Can't wait to see more about this 2D WPU. It doesn't have to be all top secret anymore right? Want to SEEEEEE!!!! :twisted:
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Thanks. Though actually... it's way more valuable than AttoWPU (which I've put into background a bit now, but I'll get back to it and polish some things and reuse some things for some upcoming architectures) and I'm very careful before releasing it, possibly going to patent it if I can somehow, or rather the methods it uses to automatically separate portions of the code to a bunch of cores. Still thinking about it, sorry. I don't want to limit people, but I don't want someone to just rip it off either... Then again, I most probably can't afford it so I'm quite unsure what to actually do. I need to consult some people first.
Plus everyone around me is now telling me again and again and again: Protect it so someone doesn't steal it.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Oh, wow, did not even think about that. Yeah, definitely figure out what you can do with that. I think algorithms and code are harder to patent, but if you can get your findings published (like in one of the more renowned scientific journals or whatever) then your name is always attached to your work.

But I just have an outside view of this, so ask around and find out what your options are. Good luck with that, you definitely deserve it.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Thanks. I wouldn't be patenting the actual code (specific implementation), but rather principles it comes with, methods of how it could work and so on. I already have my name linked to it thanks to Intel ISEF, though I'll try publishing more, which might not be a problem after all.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Liam

Post by Liam »

Wow, that's pure awesome! Congrats!

Say, did Intel's representatives evince interest in you and your work? You know, if they want to employ you maybe you could get this way the money you need for patents. Or you could check if the Czech Republic grants financial support in such cases.

Or if all else fails go into the private sector independently and try to attract investors for your business. :3
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Thanks ^^'

Yes, someone from Intel showed interest, but there was not much talk yet (mainly because I was busy with the ISEF), so not yet, though they mentioned they would like me to work on some specific architecture they're working on in long term, so it might not be about my own architecture at all. Though with money from employment, it would probably take a while, before I could afford it and I have a bunch of other projects anyway, so... problematic. Though I read about some way to file patent now and actually patent it after year and I can release it in the meanwhile.

I'm not sure how much the grants would be, but I wouldn't want to sink all that money in just patenting it, but rather further development. I'm not much of a business guy though, I would be perfectly happy if I had all I need to create and live and release stuff for free, but that's not really an option. I'll keep thinking about it.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Glad to hear you're becoming popular. Good luck =)
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Thanks! ^^' Also I was interviewed in a TV recently and there's going to be another interview next Monday :3 Here's a recording, though it's in Czech ^^'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv7OmlDc_uQ

Also I took a photo of photos of me in newspapers :D Photoception! >:3 And I'm making an article and short documentary about Intel ISEF as well, I'll post it when it's done :3

PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Congratulations!

I can see a bright future for you!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Thanks! ^^

Also, I created a documentary from my journey to Pittsburgh and the Intel ISEF, so if you want to see how it looks there, watch this! :3 Also don't forget co comment! ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a6he6H7Ui8

I also sent that video to Czech Intel and they really liked it there so they're sending me some thankful package! I wonder what I'll get, yaay! :3
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Wow that's really cool! Can't wait to see what they give you :3